[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Commandos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: commandos.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
commandos.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
Commandos was the shit. Everybody liked that game. What is the closest thing to Commandos today? I don't even know what the genre is.
>>
non-retro recommendations here?

Silent Storm

The genre is isometric tactical strategy game
>>
>>4042872
says 2004 on the tin. Why don't we have them today?
>>
>>4042957
I do not question the ways of our Lord, I just play the games.
>>
>>4042957
Shadow Tactics
>>
File: unknown.png (429KB, 1240x546px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
429KB, 1240x546px
>>
File: 1479887331542.jpg (143KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479887331542.jpg
143KB, 800x500px
>>4042871
>Desperados.
Prettier but easier.
>>
File: 1490170766734.jpg (384KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1490170766734.jpg
384KB, 1024x768px
>>4043003
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Even more prettier, but also easy as fuck.
>>
>>4042872

Silent Storm is nothing like Commandos, it's closer to Jagged Alliance if anything.

There's Desperados, that Robin Hood game, Shadow Tactics (apparently, I didn't play it) and that's pretty much it.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (688KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
688KB, 1920x1080px
>>4042871
>What is the closest thing to Commandos today?

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.
Objectively the best game in this genre bar Commandos 2.
The game is built on the Desperados/Robin Hood line of design, though. No inventories, nor insides of buildings.

Great soundtrack, appropriate graphics, good story, well-designed levels,... Heck, even /v/ played and liked it. And you know just how hard it is to get /v/ to actually play game sinstead of talking bullshit.
>>
>>4043103

>Commandos 2 better than 1

nah
>>
>>4043471
what about Beyond the call of duty? just more of the same
>>
Laser Squad
>>
>>4043495

many people claim it's harder, but I find that the new abilities give you a lot of freedom to exploit the AI
>>
File: signal ops.jpg (288KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
signal ops.jpg
288KB, 1920x1080px
Signal Ops. It's in first person and you control a squad of agents who all have dedicated special abilities. It's not exactly like commandos, but it's what Commandos would be if it was in first person.
I know about Commandos: Strike Force, but it's not a legit strategical game like og Commandos is
>>
>>4042871
Stealth-oriented real-time tactics. Or just Real-Time Tactics (RTT).

Someday I will make a spiritual secuel.
>>
>>4043801
>I find that the new abilities give you a lot of freedom to exploit the AI

It was still nowhere near as exploitable as commando's 2.

Can we all agree Commando's 3 was a mistake?
>>
>>4042871
Coming ROIGHT ova .... Sir.
>>
>>4044115
CONSIDER IT DONE
>>
File: 234434242.png (20KB, 246x235px) Image search: [Google]
234434242.png
20KB, 246x235px
ALAAM!
ALAAAAAAAAAM! ALAAAAAM!!
>>
>>4044112

I couldn't even get through 2 tbqh.

Something about the control scheme and the 3d, it's just feels so... floaty and sloppy.
>>
I have a question that's ungoogleble. When you get detected, the Krauts may shout something that sounds a bit like "ICEVELETTA". I've had some German, but can't figure this phrase out. Anyone?
>>
>>4044857
That's EASY
>>
>>4044891
Hahaha nice attempt.
Ein verletzter - an injured person
>>
>>4044905

thanks anon, it's been bugging me since forever
>>
savescumming: the game
>>
>>4044882

This, I was fascinated with Commandos as a kid, played it quite a bit (especially the demo). Then I got two and expected the same but no... it feels more like playing a severely difficult RTS with a few units instead of playing a precise puzzle-action game.
>>
>Commandos 1
Fun but hard as balls, very long too. That mission were you have to destroy the coastal guns took a week to solve.

>Commandos 1 expansion
The missions are huge, especially the one on the trainyard. The new commands make the game a lot easier. Buggy as hell.

>Commandos 2
Improved on the original on every way. Introduced an inventory system and internal environments. It's the easiest game in the series, though.

>Commandos 3
Transitioned to true 3D, it looks the prettiest, but it's very short. The difficulty rises up from the previous game, due to fucking TIMED MISSIONS. Fuck them, fuck them to hell.

>Commandos Strike Force
Let's see:
>Was an FPS for no reason, despite being a series of isometric strategy games
>Reduced the cast to green beret, sniper and spy
>Had terrible graphics for 2005 standards
>Bland as hell level design
>Killed the series altogether
I don't know what the developers were smoking when they made this piece of shit, this game managed to screw up on every way possible
>>
>>4045079
>That mission were you have to destroy the coastal guns took a week to solve.

15 minutes champ
>>
>>4045091
>using walkthroughs ever
GTFO scrub
>>
>>4045106
>implying

noob down
>>
>>4042871
Realtime tactical?

Syndicate and Cannon Fodder were similar.
>>
Do these games have co-op? Steam says they have co-op, but what kind of co-op?
>>
>>4045079
>Had terrible graphics for 2005 standards
That is Spanish gamedev.
>>
>>4042871
I saw it in mags and hated it when i finally played it. Had great fun with swat 2 though
>>
They're usually labeled as Real-Time Tactics, though that genre encompasses quite different games as well.

Desperados, Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood and Chicago 1930 are most similar in gameplay to what you're looking for. All are worth playing. There was also Star Trek: Away, but I've never tried that.
Fallout:Tactics is similar enough.

Can't think of any more, but it's quite enough to keep you occupied.
>>
>>4045745
Star Trek: Away Team*
fug
>>
>>4043004
Sherwood is much more fun if you play it as non-lethal as possible. The game gives you a "enemies spared" score at the end, the best I managed to get is 75% and I remember feeling proud, that took a lot of extra work.
>>
>>4045079
>That mission were you have to destroy the coastal guns took a week to solve.

actually one of the fastest and funnest missions if you go grab the tank right away
>>
File: 1492837279327.gif (3MB, 292x402px) Image search: [Google]
1492837279327.gif
3MB, 292x402px
>>4045759
>being innocent 10 year old kid
>going non-lethality run, like, why would you even kill these poor bastards, these soldiers are innocent and your countrymen etc.
>mission where you take back castle of your uncle from hands of traitors
>mission went smoothly - whole garnisson knocked out unconcious, binded, and thrown in piles in corners/houses - you know, ususal Sherwood stuff
>rescue soldiers loyal to uncle
>they instantly proceed to SLAUGHTER those poor bastards
>literally running around the castle, killing them en masse, ISIS style
>can't do anything to save them

I wasn't prepared for such display of AI cruelty
>>
>>4043014
Plus Chicago 1930 and Star Trek: Away Team, allegedly.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.