[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi all, what's a good portable console for emulators nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5799.jpg (33KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5799.jpg
33KB, 600x390px
Hi all, what's a good portable console for emulators nowadays? Had a look around and a lot still recommend the psp, which would be great, unless there's other things out there with more of a unified interface
>>
psp go
>>
Check the archive, we have this thread weekly.
>>
>>4040968
God really? I'm usually lurking on teh random board to notice!
>>
PSP is still almost unbeatable as far as features:price. If you can find a flagship android from like the last 5 years or a gaming focused one (maybe with integrated controls) at a price you like it'll probably run more emulators better. Despite the current "wireless delay" meme bluetooth controllers are pretty decent to play with, but you have to decide for yourself HOW portable you need your device to be.
>>
>>4040962
GPD win
>>
File: gpdwin06[1].jpg (172KB, 457x257px) Image search: [Google]
gpdwin06[1].jpg
172KB, 457x257px
>>4041005
OP said "a good" not "the best"
>>
>>4040962
Vita. If you don't care about PSX, use 3ds.

Vita can run anything a PSP can (Adraline), and the increased performance compared to PSP really helps for 16bit systems. Screen is nice and large, and battery is crazy long when emulating.
>>
>>4041137
Not OP, had a psp back in 05 and remember visiting psphacker.com daily. First time getting emus through kxploit was fucking awesome.

I have a vita now, the battery has always been great but I'm thinking about hacking it. I still play some wipeout but I mainly use it for Nuclear Throne/downwell/necrodancer, how easy is it to hack? If I'm on the latest firmware should I just buy another one??

Also, is mame running on either device yet? I just want to play some arcade originals and GunForce 2, don't really care about the heavy duty games and .chds
>>
>>4040962
I got one of those!

The battery died though and I can't get a replacement for it since the one person that sells them won't ship globally anymore because of terrorism.

I need a replacement thats going to fit. The caanoo's pretty thin.
>>
>>4041137
Can I still play vita games if I root/jb it?
>>
>>4041996
Any game compatible with up to 3.60 FW (so any release before Fall 2016)
>>
>>4040962
laptop
>>
>>4040993
Also phones have latency
>>
>>4041221
> how easy is it to hack?
Just have to visit a website on the device browser. Really easy.

> If I'm on the latest firmware should I just buy another one??
Sadly, yes. It's doubtful that your firmware is low enough to mod.
>>
>>4040962
Laptop with windows vista 32-bit
>>
>>4040962

Xperia Play is perfect. Got one myself and battery life is excellent, gameplay is great, and it runs Android.

only downfall is that the android software is very outdated. however it still runs games well
>>
>>4043112

I should also add that you can get a like-new refurbished one for $60 on Amazon. Comes with a box and all the hardware. It's a steal.
>>
>>4042783
Everything has latency but the significant latency in Android has been solved for like half a decade now, especially when using bluetooth rather than the touch screen.
>>
>>4043702
> especially when using bluetooth rather than the touch screen.

Bluetooth latency is notorious. If you add bluetooth to your chain, it's going to be your most laggy component.
>>
File: Pyras.jpg (316KB, 2000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Pyras.jpg
316KB, 2000x1050px
Just as a side-note, the DragonBox Pyra is getting really close to mass-production, it's older hardware but it should be interesting seeing how well it works out.
>>
GPD Win
>>
>>4040962
An intel PC with windows 7.
>>
File: Moto-Gamepad-700x305.jpg (86KB, 700x305px) Image search: [Google]
Moto-Gamepad-700x305.jpg
86KB, 700x305px
>>4040962
im saving my hard earned money to buy this bad boy, also, moto z play looks good as phone, so is a win win for me.
>>
>>4040962
GPD Win
>>
>>4043742
False. Modern Bluetooth is literary a millisecond.

Using a Xbone or DS4 with my computer, the difference is literary 14ms (wired) to 15ms (bluetooth).
>>
>>4043760
>arm
>weaker/worse specs than a GPD win
>shitter build quality
>costs twice as much
yeah, no, the Pyra should have come out instead of the Pandora 7 years ago, then it would have been something, nowadays, it's shit
>>
Is the GPD Win actually any good? I bought one of those Chinese JXD tablets that kind of look like a Switch and it was hot trash, the sticks were such garbage that they actually twirl around instead of staying in a fixed spot and the buttons and d-pad were fucking junk.
>>
portable crt

full console

car battery

/thread
>>
>>4046592
I got a GPD Win. Once you get used to it, and tweak it, its excellent for light PC gaming and emulation for sure.

Some french guy has a pre-made Attract-mode frontend pack you can take and configure to your needs. (Takes a little figuring out but you can add more consoles and games to it)
It is all in french though, but easy enough to figure out.

I wouldnt recommend launch box, only because to get it running ok on the Win you literally have to gut and mod the shit out of it since its a real resource hog, and hyperspin is pretty redundant now.

The build quality on the Win is pretty decent. The buttons and sticks are good, the keypad is usable. Screen is real nice for 720p. Once you disable the turbo via setting the CPU to 99%, the battery life is really good on the Win.

Its a real big step up from the XD, which I also own. The buttons on that are kind of mushy, you're stuck with android 4.4.4 and its kind of laggy at times, and the paint is coming off it in places. (though my XD IS an early model admittadely)
The XD does have solid battery life and runs great with ARC browser and the custom ROM.
>>
>>4046857
The absolute must tweak for the GPD XD is to go into the dev tools and downscale the animation resolutions to 0.5. Thats what makes the menus for it so laggy in the first place.
>>
>>4040962
If you have any kind of decent phone get a gamepad attachment like 8bitpro and that's it, android emulators are now as good as anything else.

PSP if you dont care about SNES and N64

Chinkshit handhelds from JXD and GPD XD if you want anything up and including Dreamcast.

GPD Win if you want best emulators, Gamecube and PC games.
>>
>>4046453
ARM vs. x86 makes no difference to emulation outside of running Windows games. The specs are a bit weaker, but the limiting factor is more the GPU driver being a proprietary blob than the hardware itself. Build quality should be superior to GPD, but the form-factor is going to be a lot more chunky.
>>
>>4040962
GPDXD
>>
>>4040962
It seems the best solutions are (in no specific order):

Hacked New 3DS - Can emulate up to 4th gen + GBA very well, runs DS and 3DS backups flawlessly ($10 flashcart is needed for DS games). Can play GBA games off the original hardware (though I prefer emulating for fast forward).

GPD XD - Can play up to 5th gen flawlessly. Stuck with Android 4.4 but it's cheap and works.

GPD Win - Can playing fucking gamecube games.

Android phone with a controller is also a fine solution.
>>
>>4046332
oh, this looks neat. i should replace my moto g1 soon.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.