[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Saturn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Sega Saturn.jpg (134KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sega Saturn.jpg
134KB, 640x480px
Dug out of my closet, still works fine. Any good game recommendations? Only games I have are Clockwork Knight and Bug Too
>>
>>4040382
Wow that's a lot of dust
>>
>Any good game recommendations?

Mod Chip
>>
>>4040382
Mod it so you can play pirated/imported games.
>>
>>4040426
you can just flash an action replay with pseudo saturn kai. its not that hard to do. you have to open it up and do a swap trick but after that you can play back ups
>>
>>4040438
Don't you lose the ability to play Japanese/PAL games when you do that?
>>
>>4040438
>you can just flash an action replay with pseudo saturn kai.

Doesn't work on all games, and then you need a launcher to boot. This is assuming that the cart port even works to begin with - half the time it doesn't.

>its not that hard to do. you have to open it up and do a swap trick but after that you can play back ups

If you open it up to do swap tricks you can already boot backups that way and don't need neither a modchip nor the pseudo thing.

Of course you still need to swap whenever you switch games, so a modchip is plain better.

>>4040453
>Don't you lose the ability to play Japanese/PAL games when you do that?

You can region patch CDR games before you burn them so it's not like that even matters.
>>
File: saturn2.jpg (2MB, 1437x4905px) Image search: [Google]
saturn2.jpg
2MB, 1437x4905px
Saturns are really built strong, I also had mine stores for years, I even forgot I had it, then I dug it out and it works like the first day, fantastic. Can't say the same about the several PS1s I had to go through.
Also, get some model 2 controllers and a 3D controller (optional), as for games, pic related, make your choice. I personally recommend Panzer Dragoon II Zwei as my favorite Saturn exclusive, give it a go if you're into rail shooters (and PD1 as well).

>>4040453
No, the pseudo still works as a region bypass, it can also use the extra 4MB RAM. You lose the ability to save though, and the cheats but that's not really important. Anyway I recommend getting both, an AR cart, and an official Sega memory cartridge to store saves, use an internal battery (watch battery, costs about $1 and you can replace it easily on the back of your Saturn without having to open the whole case), use the cart to make backups every now and then if you're afraid the battery might die. I got mine 2 years ago and still works.
>>4040465
The "launcher to boot" is a screen where you only need to press A and wait like 3 seconds, it's much less of a hassle than doing the swap trick every time you want to play a game. Modchips are ideally better but not as easy to get nowadays. If OP doesn't have an extra RAM cart, he'll want an AR anyway.
>>4040465
>>
>>4040382
Jesus dude please clean that shit
>>
>>4040382
get a modchip installed
>>
>>4041035
Does the modchip include the extra ram for the games that require it?
>>
There is no need to install a modchip. There are several versions of a soft mod for the Saturn that are basically extended Memory Cartridges / PAR+Gameshark that allows you to play imports. It was the first thing I bought with my Saturn and it still works after almost two decades.
>>
>>4040657
No Guardian Heroes?
BAKA senpai.
>>
>>4040657
>The "launcher to boot" is a screen where you only need to press A and wait like 3 seconds

That's 3 seconds longer and requires user interaction, as opposed "put the disc in and power it on".

>Modchips are ideally better but not as easy to get nowadays.

Typing "sega Saturn chip" into Ebay sure is hard.

>If OP doesn't have an extra RAM cart, he'll want an AR anyway.

There's no reason to get a RAM cart since almost no worthwile exclusives need it, it is only used on inferior Capcom and Neogeo ports, and a few visual novels (for a different title screen...). Final Fight Revenge and Groove on Fight use them but they are trash. What else is there that need it? Astra Superstars?

Also, some games are actually WORSE with the RAM cart, like Marvel Super Heroes.
>>
>>4041087
>That's 3 seconds longer and requires user interaction
I know time is money, but come on. Reading this post will take you more than 3 seconds. Also, Saturn is a CD-based system, so "turn on and play game" isn't quite true, you still have to wait for many logos and loading screens, not as bad as the PS1 though.
>There's no reason to get a RAM cart
Why do you think your opinion is the be-all end-all? Some people might be interested on actually using their Saturn to its full potential, doesn't matter which games you consider worthwhile or not.
Anyway, I'm not against modchips, it's another option.
>>
>>4041105
>Also, Saturn is a CD-based system, so "turn on and play game" isn't quite true, you still have to wait for many logos and loading screens

THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH ANOTHER FUCKING ONE. And why I use a normal 1/4mb memory cart instead of the action replay too, so I don't have to wade through its shitty menu to play a game, that already goes through a bios splash a sega logo, 2-3 company logos, and sometimes an intro fmv, just to reach the start screen.
>>
>>4041321
Fair enough, anyway it's good that the Pseudosaturn gets rid of the Action Replay ugly interface (which also took more time to boot).
>>
>>4041326
It also gets rid of cheat codes and save game backups, two of the best features of the cart.
>>
>>4041330
Even when I had my AR cart without pseudo, I never felt the need to use the cheats.
And saving was erratic, I got my saves lost (and the whole cart became useless, apparently due to some flash memory error), that's when I decided to just go for pseudosaturn with it.
IMO the best feature of the AR is the region bypass and the extra RAM. For saving it's better to buy a watch battery and save internally, and make backups on an official memory cart every 6 months or so.
>>
>>4041334
I just use a region free bios and have a backup memory cart in the system at all times. I have a 4mb cart too but I rarely use it, all the ports that require it work better in MAME and their Saturn versions give almost 0 extras. I think maybe SFA3 is the only one that actually has useful extra options, and that's all.

I don't think I used my AR in the last 4 years for anything other than testing some cheats.
>>
>>4041350
It's fine, it's nice that there's different options, isn't it? As I said, I found myself with a useless AR cart, I could have reflashed it and return it to its original state (in fact I still can), but the pseudo was a no brainer since it'd let me play backups and I wouldn't have to spend extra money on a chip, I just bought a memory cart (official one) but it was pretty cheap like $8.
>>
>>4040382
here's a list of shit I burned, listed in a (very) rough quality order

>Panzer Dragoon Zwei (needs JHX loader, 10/10 amazing and looks gorgeous other than some weird texture jumping)
>Radiant Silvergun
>Bulk Slash
>Hyper Duel (enhanced graphics and better music than arcade, not worth the absurd price it goes for though despite being pretty damn cool)
>Sega Rally
>Gungriffon (play this now)
>Manx TT
>Magic Knight Rayearth
>Psychic Killer Taromaru (not worth the price it goes for despite being a damn good game, a bit hard to get to grips with)
>Sega Ages (or burn the individual games if you want the arrange soundtracks)
>Power Drift (good port, only better home release this game got was on the 3DS)
>Wipeout (needs a patch to work with Pseudo Saturn Kai, framerate is lower than on PS1 but the handling is better)
>F-1 Challenge
>Hang On GP (kind of sucks because of the mildly awkward handling, but I like it, very bright, cheery sort of look and feel)
>Sonic Jam (has some sound issues and slowdown though, especially in Sonic 2)
>Sonic R (might actually be my pick for best 3D graphics on Saturn)
>Purikura Daisakusen (fun little isometric magical girl game, it's a fairly straight arcade port from ST-V hardware)
>Thunder Force V (play on PS1 because of slowdown)
>Konami Antiques MSX Ultra Pack (it's just a bunch of MSX ROMs, but it's got some nice stuff)
>Quake (just play it on PC -- this is a good port, but there's no point to play it)
>Steep Slope Sliders (meh)
>Sky Target (shit, but cool bosses)
>Sega Touring Car Championship (handling sucks a bit, music is 10/10, takes a stupid amount of save RAM so delete the file)
>Layer Section II (for the love of god play on PS1 instead)

this is just shit I burned, there's other stuff like NiGHTS and Virtual On and Keio Flying Squadron (which I bought legit back when it was much cheaper)

>>4040657
if you burn a lot, losing save space becomes an issue
wasn't a problem when I only had legit games, didn't need the AR save
>>
>>4040465
>This is assuming that the cart port even works to begin with - half the time it doesn't.
this is valid, and the AR's contacts in particular are prone to oxidation (so you need to clean it and then leave it in the Saturn forever)

>If you open it up to do swap tricks you can already boot backups that way and don't need neither a modchip nor the pseudo thing.
yeah, fuck that -- doing a double swap to boot a game every time is fucking retarded and takes forever and it's bad for the drive, doing a single swap (since the TOC isn't important) once and never having to swap again is great
most saturn owners will have an AR cart to boot imports anyway, there's no reason to not use Pseudo if you know how to do the swap

>Doesn't work on all games,
you can count them on one hand, a small handful require patching, and you don't need to patch most games on burn anyway

>>4041330
the big issue with the AR for saves is that it's known to be a bit flaky -- although that's still better than hoping the Saturn's save RAM didn't just die before you could replace it though (apparently, you can replace the battery while it's on so you don't have to rush, but I've never tried that)
>>
>>4041039
No. You'll need a ram cart or A/R cart for that
>>
>>4040438
Mod chip costs the same and requires the same amount of work while offering more functionality.

Both are fine solutions though
>>
>>4040382
Throw away and get a real saturn.
>>
>>4040382
Is Clockwork Knight actually good?
I kind of want to pick it up, but it looks so jank. Same thing with the Bug games.
>>
>>4044591
It's okay. It's a lot better than Bug!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.