[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

raspberry or retron ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

File: rasp.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
rasp.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
raspberry or retron ?
>>
>>4037573
Do you have the cartridges? Retron. Raspberry Pi emulates the game.
>>
File: 1494736638994.gif (344KB, 154x120px) Image search: [Google]
1494736638994.gif
344KB, 154x120px
One requires you to buy the original cartridges in order to emulate the games using stole, fucked with and outdated cores. The other is a legitimately great straight emulation solution with no ongoing costs along with a fantastic support and development community.

Gee, I wonder...
>>
>>4037585
Retron emulates too you utter gonk.
>>
>>4037573
whatever your wife and her son likes!
>>
>>4037573
A hacked Wii. Does 240p and super cheap to set up
>>
You can either pay $160 for the flagship cuck emulator or spend about $60 total on a fully loaded Pi.
Your call but personally I think it's stupid to waste that much money only to have to waste more on cartridges, let alone hunt down the games your wife's son wants.
>>
>>4037623
Won't do 5th gen though, which is what I'm playing on my Pi right now.

t. anon who has (and honestly loves) both.
>>
>>4037630
If you have a PS2 and a Wii you have practically every PS1 game and a good chunk of the N64's better games at your disposal.
>>
>>4037630

How well does it do 5th gen?

I've got a modded Wii and a modded NES classic but I really want something that can do decent PS1 and N64 emulation. If the emulation is still slow and choppy with missing textures i just won't bother.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>4037652
I do have all of those but that's not the point.

This thread concerns the Retron and RasPi, only one of which will emulate 5th gen...
>>
>>4037663
It does PS1 perfectly. N64 isn't great tbqh but then again what, short of original hardware, is?
>>
>>4037573
Whichever one is popular on reddit this week and will forget about next week.
>>
I bought a raspberry pi. Thanks anons
>>
>>4037663
There is a couple of ps1 games that won't work. I can't get expendable to work. N64 is hit and miss. if you type in n64 retropie there is a compatability list in the first link that will take you to a spreadsheet on google docs. It will tell you what games can and cannot play.
>>
>>4037794
Those compatibility lists are horseshit. It lists games as "okay" or "perfect" when they still have terrible framerate issues and graphical/audio glitches. If it says "runs perfectly" assume it actually means "playable, but with issues"
N64 on the Pi is shit outside of a very small handful of games. It does other systems very well though, including DS.
>>
>>4037573
>which meme should i get
some shitty old meme image. It's free and runs games just as well.
>>
I recomend the RetroTink with the Pi for playing on a SD CRT with Component or S-Video.
>>
>>4037573
Emulating on my PC if I have to emulate.
Playing on real hardware for all other reasons.
>>
>>4037573
A PC. If you're that much of a fag and need to use your carts for some reason than just off yourself.
>>
>>4037873
I don't know man. Power Stone 1 runs on my pi 2 with minor graphical glitches. Does it really matter as long as you can play the game. N64 had horrible framerates anyway (I think ocarina of time runs at about 20fps). Does everything really have to be perfect as all hell?
>>
File: 1494517411004.png (225KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1494517411004.png
225KB, 512x512px
>>4038268
>>>4037873
>Does everything really have to be perfect as all hell?
Yes, have some fucking standards.
>>
>>4038652
Well then you better get an n64, because that's the only way it's going to be perfect for you.
>>
Why not a laptop?
>>
>>4037591
Only the Retron 5, previous models were actual hardware clones.
>>
>>4038703
My bad.

I was getting mixed up with the RetroDuo and Super Retro Trio which I thought were made by Hyperkin and indeed were hardware clones. Turns out they were Retro-Bit.

I still wouldn't trust anything from Hyperkin though, hardware or not.
>>
File: image.jpg (227KB, 635x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227KB, 635x1024px
Since this is currently the closest thing to a pi thread...

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't get rondo of blood to run on my pi 3? I got the bios and tried several different roms from emuparadise, all of them don't work. I choose rondo of blood on emulation station and it fades to black and then fades back to the menu. The roms i got weren't .pce files, i couldn't find any roms that were .pce files. Anybody know if there's a no-intro file somewhere?

Also, i got a psx game to run, and even though i put several psx bios in the bios AND roms folders, the pi says there is no bios detected. What did i do wrong? Any help would be so much appreciated.
>>
>>4038657
It doesn't have to be perfect, but people should be honest. If a game is playable, say it's "playable" and list the problems. Don't say a game runs perfectly unless it actually does. That just causes people to make whiny threads here and on other forums complaining about N64 and asking why it doesn't work. On many sites, this happens daily.

N64 on the Pi is terrible. It should be in the experimental section alongside Dreamcast because it runs almost as poorly for most games. There are at least half a dozen emulators in the experimental section that work BETTER than the N64 emulators, including Nintendo DS. The people who praise the Pi's N64 capabilities are either idiots with no standards or trolls who are trying to piss people off by misleading them about what the Pi can do. Either way, they're lying. There's no excuse for spreading that kind of misinformation.

There are only two reasons to ever use the Pi for N64 games:

1. For the novelty

2. You have literally no other way to play N64 games at the moment.

Almost any other modern machine will run N64 exponentially better than the Pi can. Use your phone or computer instead. Use the Pi for consoles it can actually handle.
>>
>>4038831
Yeah there's a no-intro version. You should just get the whole set. It's not large for the PCE.
Best guess is that you've but the bios in the wrong folder OR you used the wrong bios OR you didn't give it the right name. Check the RetroPie wiki to see if you messed up any of those steps.
>>
>>4038935
I got a bios package that has syscard3, cd-rom system v1, 2, 3, and 3.01. I put those in the bios folder and also in the rom folder for pcengine. Is any of that wrong?
>>
>>4038935
Also, the nec i just found doesn't seem to have rondo in it. Is it usually this hard to find?
>>
>>4038831
I should add that I have checked the wiki, and the only thing I can find there that suggests I fucked up, is that instead of a .bin, i have an .iso. Can retropie run isos?
>>
>>4037873
>It does other systems very well though, including DS.
Is it really that good? What about PSP?
>>
I wanted a raspberry pi for PS1 games. I wonder if it's decent with em. I just can't handle the Wii not being able to emulate PS1.
>>
>>4039116
PSP support is very poor but a few games are playable.
DS works very well for a lot of games as long as you don't mind playing at the original resolution, but it won't run every game yet. GTA and the Zeldas don't work, for example. Drastic (the DS emulator) is still very new and is technically in closed beta. It's gotten a little harder to install since it was removed from the official scripts about a month ago, but you can always get it by running an older version of the script. It'll come back officially eventually, and improvements are sure to follow.
>>4039159
It's great for PSX. Runs most (not all) games perfectly, even with simple shaders.
>>
>>4038927
I don't know man you sound like you have some salt. I think the lists are good enough. They say the issues in the comments section for alot of the games. What game is giving you trouble that the list fucked up?
>>
>>4039182
>It's gotten a little harder to install since it was removed from the official scripts about a month ago
Scratch that, looks like it was added back a week ago. Weird. Anyway, it works pretty well (much better than N64) and is easy to install.
>>4039195
Different anon, but it's well known that the list is overly optimistic. Lets talk about one of the games that runs extremely well: Mario Kart 64. The lists say MK64 runs perfectly when it really doesn't. It's absolutely 100% playable and fun, but there are frequent audio stutters and some slowdown that isn't present on real hardware. OoT features even more frequent stuttering that isn't a problem on real hardware. Ditto for Mario 64, which has lots of noticeable slowdown. Basically any game that runs well still has tissues with slowdown and stuttering that aren't present on real hardware.
>>
>>4038927
I'm going through the list right now I don't see too many runs perfectly comments on there. I see a lot of runs fine. I don't have a pi3 to test out these. But n64 emulation is improving on the pis. I think goldeneye started out unplayable. They have people working on these emulators. They have bounty's out for some issues as they arise. Like the Mame version of killer instincts chd error. Here in a couple of years it will probably be even better. We will have more powerful chips and who knows what else.
>>
>>4039182
Great for PSX eh?

I wonder, can you actually use a Raspberry Pi 3 on a CRT TV with SCART? Cause that'd be fucking bonkers. Perfect retro console right there.
>>
>>4039216
Ok I guess i can see that. But back to my original point. If it runs well enough to be played should we really be nitpicking the little shit. I mean they have to start somewhere. Not everyone can afford a $150 flash cart, or a $90 n64. For $38 It could be a lot worse, and it is getting better.
>>
>>4039236
You can with the Gert VGA666 shield and a Dsub15 to SCART cable.

A lot of good info here:
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/8521/best-way-to-output-scart-rgb-from-pi-3/7
>>
>>4039236
rpi3 has unified audio video output
>>
File: 4960759128058.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4960759128058.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>4039290
on second thought this cable will be more suitable
>>
>>4039290
>What did he mean by this?
>>
>>4039279
Hmm. Seems like a really good solution (and fairly cheap as well) if only the resolution configuration wasn't painful.

>>4039290
>>4039294
Hmm. This seems like another good solution. Many thanks.
>>
>>4039216
Are we looking at the same list?
>>
>>4039303
hello bryan9361...
>>
>>4039335
Hello, How are you doing. You still haven't answered my question?
>>
>>4039303
>Taskbar on the left
>>
>>4039358
You can hate all you want. I don't give a fuck. It's what I like.
>>
>>4039303
You should delete this because it's got a little bit of personal info. But that list is much more conservative since I last checked about 6 months ago. It's a nice surprise. I'll admit I'm out of date and was too lazy to double-check.
There are also two lists. One is(was?) more optimistic than the other.
>>
I got a Retron 5 but it's not actually for playing games. It can dump and upload saves on all the physical carts it supports. It's a tool for preservation and battery swaps.
>>
>>4039460
This is about the only valid reason I could see for having a Retron 5. I'm assuming the price for copiers for every system it supports would be a fair bit higher, but the Retron 5 won't dump straight roms, will it?
>>
>>4039484
>the Retron 5 won't dump straight roms, will it?

It dumps the rom to its internal memory in order to emulate it but you'd need to crack the firmware to copy it to an SD card as the stock firmware doesn't allow this.
>>
Does the Retron play games accurately?

Can I use USB controllers with it?
>>
>>4039505
It's basically a more expensive Raspberry Pi. It's a cheap android emulator box on the inside. It's okay but very overpriced. Your phone will work better, and your PC or laptop will be a thousand times better.
It doesn't use USB controller.
>>
I'm practically a computer illiterate. Is this thing going to be terribly difficult to set up?
>>
>>4040358

There are step-by-step instructions for everything you'd wanna do, and there are two very active help forums, one official one and one on reddit. The community is very active and friendly.

You'll wanna learn some stuff like what FTP is and a few basic command-line commands, but like I said there are detailed guides for everything. If you're willing to take 30mins-1hour to work on it (and you can follow simple instructions) then even a completely tech illiterate person can do it.

It can take a little while the first time you set one up (because you'll be doing a lot of stuff you've never done before) but it's not difficult.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.