[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder: play the original Japanese versions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: ristar.png (25KB, 1134x452px) Image search: [Google]
ristar.png
25KB, 1134x452px
Americans removed attractive girls from games, because sexual attraction is a sin.

And they also added angry sprites to otherwise cute games, because violence is good and kids should love wars and the army.
>>
>>4035078
*Apparently giggling is offensive for war-loving prudes too.
>>
File: ted_woolsey.jpg (12KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
ted_woolsey.jpg
12KB, 320x320px
Woolsey translation of CT > dog shit > any other version of CT
>>
>>4035078
It goes even deeper than that, OP. Some of these changes may shock you.
>>
This doesn't affect the game in any way, or justify playing the Japanese version.
>>
>>4035090

Shock? How? Looks like the one on the right is just some stupid fanmade ROM-hack of SMB2, probably made by an SJW given that they gave Mario a turban. Theres tons of shit like that out there, like one of SMB where Mario was turned into a Klansman or something.
>>
>>4035090
DID YOU KNOW
>>
I play the gook version usually because localized versions tend to increase difficulty. The developers of the game know how to balance their own work. Stupid faggots like Vic Ireland would piss on their efforts and break the balance.
>>
>>4035102

You poor ignorant fool, that's actually a Japanese-only release called Hokey Pokey Panic 2 Electric Boogaloo Gaiden
>>
>>4035116
That's only half correct. For non-Japanese games it's best to play the Japanese version because the Japanese know how to make games better.
>>
>>4035090
The one on the right is actually Donkey Kong Picnic, a Japanese-exclusive game. The crazy thing is they later turned that into Super Mario Bros 2 for the rest of the world!
>>
>>4035078
>>>/a/
>>
>>4035090
Little known fact is that the figure on the right was a pedophile in the original game, Hochi San Gogi. It was considered too risqué for a western launch despite stating the little love interest was over 18.
>>
>>4035078
Probably because they wanted kids to associate violence with aggression and not go around bopping cute animals just for fun.
>>
>>4035102
>like one of SMB where Mario was turned into a Klansman
Really?
>>
>>4035078
IN THE NAVY
>>
File: latest-1.png (2KB, 99x177px) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.png
2KB, 99x177px
Making cutesy characters angry to appeal to edgy kids was always so dumb. Which game started this? Is there any data on whose decision it was?

The one exception where it only enhanced the character, that I can think of, is Maruyama/Trouble Bruin. It just makes him look sillier
>>
File: garfield.jpg (53KB, 635x472px) Image search: [Google]
garfield.jpg
53KB, 635x472px
>>4035210
I think it started with Garfield. You had the absolutely sugar sweet characters like The Care Bears or Teddy Ruxpin, but then Garfield introduced "cute and cool with a tude"
>>
>>4035127
You forgot to attach an anime girl on your post
>>
>>4035214
But Garfield isn't angry, he's just lazy and a glutton.
Probably older Warner characters like Daffy Duck started the whole "angry" thing.
>>
File: garfield_kick.jpg (30KB, 600x180px) Image search: [Google]
garfield_kick.jpg
30KB, 600x180px
>>4035263
>>But Garfield isn't angry
>Literally two of his signature moves is kicking Odie off the table and hating Mondays
>>
>>4035078
why would you want to kill cute things you bastard

when they look angry you know they're up to no good
>>
>>4035078
Sega really does what nintendont

Unless I'm wrong, but angry kirby is only in boxarts right? not in-game?
>>
>>4035214
>Teddy Ruxpin
I still think Teddy Ruxpin stands out among all the 80s toy/cartoon franchises for actually having a decently written story and worldbuilding. The cartoon actually had a continuous plot from beginning to end rather than being purely episodic, and it presents mysteries that are gradually unraveled and such.
>>
>>4035090
HOLY FUCK
>>
The real bullshit thing is that everyone blames everyone else as being the reason why American localizations are botched.
>>
>>4035168
Not surprising.
The multi-board arcade cabinet in the mall in my hometown had this Kill All Muslims hack of Galaga.
>>
>>4035132
After doing some research, I can confirm that this is true.
>>
>>4035214
Garfield was always suppose to just be a money making product and Jim Davis (a business major, btw) adjusted him to get maximum profit. It's why Garfield still looks like how he did during the height of the Garfield craze of the 80s and why Davis doesn't do anything about Garfield Minus Garfield, Lasagna Cat, or Fist of the borf Star; Garfield as a property makes him the maximum amount of money and there's nothing that's really going to shake that.
>>
>>4035321
I agree, the world that it creates is pretty damn whimsical
>>
>>4035787
The funny thing is a lot of the localizations were actually made by the Japanese anyway
>>
>>4035087
>Masa & Mune
>They were actually called Grand & Leon

What did Ted mean by this?
>>
>>4035102
Bro do you even panic?
please set disk card
>>
>>4035835
That's what I mean; people go back and forth every few years as to who the guilt party is about translations and localizations (liberals, conservatives, Christians, feminists, sjws, gamergate, etc.) when, in actuality, its far more complex and at the same time, far more simple than all that.

It's typically just a bunch of Japanese businessmen who only care enough about Western culture/English to make a profit there without much controversy or effort that either hire Japanese OR American translators right out of college to just stamp out something as an afterthought.
>>
>>4035078
>Americans removed attractive girls from games,
The waifu shit/minor sprite changes isn't what was bad about localisations - it's the gameplay changes and outright removal of content.
>>
>>4035171
I read it in his voice.
>>
>>4035090
>that color palette
>>
The other day I saw a Golgo for NES, I didn't buy it because I think it was censored here on MURICA
>>
>>4035078
Daily reminder that vr is filled with people like this op now and it makes me sad please bugger off op
>>
Kale belongs to Yamcha's cock.

Shy Girl + Shy Guy = OTP
>>
>>4036309
This isn't the Dragon Ball Super thread faggot. Go back to >>>/a/
>>
>>4036145
People literally believe waifu shit IS removal of content.
>>
>>4035297
He's just a dick, but isn't angry.
>hating mondays
who doesn't?
>>
>>4036349
In fact, no waifus make it better.
>>
>>4035843
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune
>>
>>4036327
Why /a/? Only /co/ has good Dragon Ball threads nowadays.
>>
>>4036242
It was, but only one scene where the girl Dick gets to bang is literally naked. It's kind of understandable.
>>
>>4036242
Actually Golgo 13 on nes is pretty infamous for not being censored really other then the example >>4037157 said. Most famous is a sniper section where you blow a guy's head off, kept completely in tact in the US.

Somtimes Nintendo just doesn't give a shit. Not retro but Mega Man and Bass's gba port had words like douche, hell, damn, and prick pass despite being rated E.
>>
>>4037157
>>4037212
You forgot the Nazi thing
>>
>>4035830
>>4035297
>>4035214
Ain't that weird how Garfield started as a story where Davis litterally was the self-insert for John because he was supposed to be a failing comic book writer and not long after that he just chose his cat instead. For someone with such little creativity it's odd that his creation became so famous and such an influence to begin with.

>>4035787
It goes both ways. They assumed too much but at the same time there was a lot of insecurity from families and jurisdictions about the content of video games, especially in the 90s. I dare even say that still holds up to this day except for some sociological changes but that's not really /vr/ related anyway
>>
>>4035090
>Mario was a jihadi all along
Really mushes your shrooms.
>>
>>4035830
>why Davis doesn't do anything about Garfield Minus Garfield
I think he agreed to have that officially published, which is actually cool. A lot of old creative people got pissy about parodies.
>>
>>4035210
POOKS
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.