[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'TROID GAME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 20

File: samus.jpg (335KB, 840x900px) Image search: [Google]
samus.jpg
335KB, 840x900px
whats better: super metroid or fusion?
>>
Super is retro, Fusion is not.
Both are pretty good and Fusion is a sequel to Super, to you should play both anyway.
>>
If Super is the best game of all time, how can Fusion be better?!
>>
>>4034084
this, like fusion is fine but super is basically the perfect game
>>
>>4033978
>Fusion is a sequel to Super
Eh, Fusion is more a continuation of Other M which ironically decanonized every chronologically post-1 Metroid, including Fusion, because Sakamoto was so hell-bent on excising filthy gajin Prime that he shot the rest of the series in the foot too

Also consider giving AM2R a go. It is a fangame, the production values are a little under-par as a result of that, and a few of the design decisions are a bit iffy (remote controlled robot section comes to mind, also the bouncy bomb 'puzzles'), and me just mentioning it will undoubtedly bring at least one 'tismlord into the thread to screech about how it isn't 'real metroid', but it's worth a go. I'd definitely recommend playing with a controller; Metroid II, even the original, is more combat-oriented than the other retro Metroids due to you fighting the titular enemy and its various evolutions all throughout the game. AM2R also adds some new bosses of it's own, and it's a bit rough fighting them on a keyboard.

One thing I like about AM2R is that it includes a lot of optional mechanical streamlines, like quick morph, for example. You can hold down+forward into a tunnel to auto-morphball into it. If you don't like this, you can turn it, and other things like it, off.
>>
>>4033971
prime > super > zero > 1 > 2 > fusion
>>
File: 3280screenshot2.png (44KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
3280screenshot2.png
44KB, 256x224px
Metroid: Rogue Dawn is a pretty good romhack of the original. The story is concentrated cringe (brainwashed Samus twin, yes really), but the actual game is fun. The hack also includes the minimap & save hacks, so you don't have to fuck with passwords if you're not fond of savestates.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3280/
>>
>>4034120
Does it run on real NES hardware?
>>
>>4033971

And some good Super Metroid romhacks.

Full Hacks:
Super Metroid Redesign (regular & Axeil Edition)
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=34
http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

Ice Metal 1
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/659/

Metroid Super Zero Mission
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/742/

Improvements:

Control Freak:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/

GBA Style:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3211/
>>
>>4034131
No clue.
>>
>>4034114
Fusion is in no way worse than og 1&2
>>
>>4033971
Super Metroid is the edgiest nintendo produced game ever made
>>
File: Super_Metroid_title.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Metroid_title.png
7KB, 256x224px
>>4034150
Probably.

Back in the 90s, when kids would talk about Sega being "for grown ups" and Nintendo for kids, I asked them if any game on Sega had bloody corpses on its title screen.
>>
>>4033971
Super Metroid is vastly better in every respect except bosses. Fusion has some cool bosses, I'll give it that.

>>4034150
I don't know if "edgy" is the word I'd use, but it's true that you'd never see a game like Super Metroid from modern Nintendo. Even back then, it was a surprisingly dark game for them.
>>
>>4034150
Eh, I always saw edgy as meaning dark things that have a sense of immaturity behind them. Super Metroid never came across as immature to me.
>>
>>4034442
People wildly over-apply edgy these days. They apply it to anything dark regardless of context out of a desire to appear more mature and above-it-all.

Which is pretty edgy.
>>
>>4034120
Holy shit. Those are some incredible graphics for a fucking NES game.
>>
>>4034148
It shat on the fundamental design of Metroid: non-linear exploration. For that, it can rot in Hell.
>>
>>4034564
I mean, I prefer the non-linear Metroid games as well, but honestly Fusion isn't much more linear than Metroid II. My problems with it have more to do with the shitty story, forced cutscenes, and lack of the series' trademark atmosphere. Also, the mechanics being generally dumbed down from SM made it feel like a step backwards.
>>
>>4034586
>fusion
>lack of atmosphere

Eh, it has its moments.
>>
>>4033971
Literally everyone ever will agree Super > Fusion. That being said I think Fusion is underrated. Besides the totally unnecessary points of no return it was still a great game.
>>
>>4034601
Well, I don't know how you can get any sense of being lost and alone when you're being constantly reminded of the computer looking over your shoulder and telling you what to do.
>>
>>4034609
IMO it's a good game, just a poor Metroid game.
>>
>>4034084
Ha, that reminds me. I printed out a label on my mom's label maker that said "THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" and stuck it on the front of my SM cartridge.
>>
File: Metroid Fusion Nightmare.png (10KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Fusion Nightmare.png
10KB, 240x160px
I liked Fusion for the fact the game is entirely inside a spaceship, finally, like in the original Alien.
It's true that's more linear than Super, but I still remember having fun exploring the ship and finding secret paths and what not in classic Metroid fashion, you're just restricted to certain areas until you beat a boss, that's what makes it linear, but the areas themselves are broad and let you explore on your own as well.
And speaking of bosses, I thought that was the highlight of the game.
>>
>>4034131
I wondered the same thing a couple of days ago and googled it, apparently it runs on flashcarts no problem. It's coded using the MM1 mapper, so is fully compatible with original hardware.

>>4034879
Yeah, that one was pretty tense. The melting face is haunting.

Also, being chased by the invincible SAX was too much for my young heart. I hated how it forced those parts onto you, it was the very opposite of the slow gradual exploratory gameplay that marks the series and which I've grown so fond of. But then again, those segments were really exciting and memorable. Once they were over, that is.
>>
I'm playing Super right now, and while nowhere near as bad as Fusion it's still more than a tad linear. As far as I can tell there's only one correct path you can take at all times, everywhere else either leads to a dead end or is inaccessible due to not having the right equipment.
>>
>>4034934
Super's nonlinearity comes from sequence breaking, using a bunch of tricks that aren't necessary or weren't intended by the devs to break out of the linear path. It's not really something you'll make use of on a blind playthrough.
>>
>>4034934
>As far as I can tell there's only one correct path you can take at all times
Heh.

See, that's the beauty of Super Metroid: there's one obvious path that you're supposed to follow, so newbies aren't going to get too lost. But once you've mastered the game's mechanics, you can do basically anything in any order you like. Just about the only thing you can't do without major glitch abuse is getting into Tourian early. Want to skip almost all the major upgrades? You got it. Want to beat the bosses in reverse order? Sure, why not? The number of possible paths through the game is ridiculous.
>>
File: ridley.png (910KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
ridley.png
910KB, 1300x1300px
>>4034934
>Super is linear
>ZM is linear
>Fusion is linear
>Metroid 2 is linear
>Literally the only Metroid game that's not linear is the original, yet the series is known for it's non-linearity
Really gets my noggin' joggin'.
>>
>>4034949
>>4034934
>he doesn't know about Super's sequence breaks
git gud scrub
>>
>>4034131
I can confirm that yes, it runs on real hardware.
>>
>>4034613
fusion had plenty of atmosphere
I loved it
It was >my first metroid

which was great because then I built up to Super and was never disappointed by fusion.
>>
>>4034494
Makes you wonder why Nintendo didn't put more effort in the graphics of the the first game.
>>
>>4034949
ZM is not completely linear. You can beat ridley before kraid. I don't like it though, because I still feel like being handholded for picking this route. Nothing comes close to first and super just because there is "Am I even supposed to be here" feel.

>>4034109
I was just replaying it to get best time I can. Holy shit, those omega metroids. Literally 1 pixel sized hitboxes.
>>
>>4033971
Super. Fusion is garbage.
>>
>>4033971
Remove Adam from Fusion and that'd make both somewhat even. Just somewhat since it still would be linear, but can't say I didn't have fun with Fusion
>>
>>4033971
Both are fantastic for different reasons
This is the only correct answer
>>
>>4037613

Deadlines, budget, and most of all lack of experience with NES.

You'll notice all the best looking NES games came out closer to the end of the NES.
>>
>>4034879
its metroid but with ocarina of time's boss structure
>>
>>4033971

Both are great, but super is a little clunky with controls, fusion is extremely handholdy outside of a few difficult area/enemy escape sequences
>>
>>4034842
You absolute madman
>>
File: Metroid Realm of Chaos.jpg (315KB, 1500x753px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Realm of Chaos.jpg
315KB, 1500x753px
>>4033971
Super
>>
>>4037613
It was an early title (1986), originally designed for the FDS, so I does not make use of any mappers.
I would've liked to see a sequel on the NES with an advanced mapper.
>>
>>4034494
Snarf is a god.
>>
I just tried am2r randomized mode and it was amazing. I actually had to plan ahead and also grab as many items as I can, due to lack of varia and energy tanks. Getting to each upgrade was exciting and my final route was pretty complex.
Should I try randomized super metroid? I'm afraid of suitless maridia and norfair.
>>
>>4041639

Doesn't the randomizer ensure that you can't get stuck in areas without the proper item to progress?

I'm not sure how Metroid randomizers work but that's how the Zelda randomizer worked.
>>
>>4041639
The SM randomizer has difficulty settings, so you don't have to do suitless if you're a scrub and can't handle it.
>>
>>4041683
The problem is that you can progress in Maridia without suits and it's horribly obnoxious to do so. Like >>4041689 said, there's options to keep it from happening though.
>>
File: Mother Brain.gif (261KB, 138x171px) Image search: [Google]
Mother Brain.gif
261KB, 138x171px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751mxHpHdlo
>>
>>4034937
I only half agree with this.

>Reverse boss order

I think TAS is required to do this.
>>
>>4046097
It just requires more energy tanks for a human to do it. All the difficulty is in getting through Lower Norfair without melting.
>>
>>4034163
I think I could agree with this anon. As much as I love Super I can't really think of any boss I enjoyed fighting outside of Mother Brain at the end.
>>
>>4034613
It's a different kind of atmosphere being delivered in a different way. The SA-X's presence in the game gives it a sort of horror film vibe, kind of like Alien.
>>
>>4046097
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-pO0OjGSeE

It just requires you to be quick and good at energy management.
>>
>>4046116
I liked the Kraid fight, especially at the time. I'm also fond of the Draygon fight because there are so many cool ways you can do it.
>>
How many enemies and bosses borrow monster/kaiju roars?
>>
>>4037613
To be fair, there's around 25-30 years difference there and that's going to cause many developments
>>
>>4033971
Please. Fusion isn't even better than Zero Mission.

Super is great, Fusion's only edge are controls and bosses.
>>
>>4046532
>Implying Zero Mission wasn't great
>>
Nintendo should legitimize AM2R like Capcom helped promotion and distribution of Street Fighter x Capcom, or like Sega has brought on board Sonic hackers.

Then they should make a Zero Mission/AM2R/Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion compilation, with the original 1 and 2 as bonus.

Why the fuck won't they
>>
>>4047660
>Why the fuck won't they

Nintendo has been insanely protective of its IP, even after they shit on them themselves. It's really all they have, unless they can deliver on their promise improving prospects with 3rd party devs this gen

They'll let lousy mobile studios pinch out stuff like Super Mario Run and Pokemon Go, but it isn't stuff that can cannibalize sales of the mainline titles.

Combine that with Japanese corporate culture (see: Konami) and the sort of pigheaded contempt that can come from when your company is over a century old, and there you have it.
>>
File: 1samwip2.gif (365KB, 212x165px) Image search: [Google]
1samwip2.gif
365KB, 212x165px
Oh, I made a stupid 'shots fired' gif like 4 years ago, here
>>
>>4040926
Nice!
>>
File: Super Metroid (E) [!]000.png (13KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Super Metroid (E) [!]000.png
13KB, 256x224px
So, who was this guy?
>>
>>4050215
0/10 delet this
>>
>>4033971
Super is a good game, as a platformer with exploration.

Fusion is a good game, as a type of Survival horror.

Both are worth playing.
>>
>>4034141
Hyper is worth adding to that list.
The story is ultra cringe, but goddamn.
>The map
>The handling
>The FUCKING NEW AMMO SYSTEM.

It's so worth a play. If you're a newb to SM, it's still playable. Will take 7-12 hours if you're new.
If you're a veteran, It's about 4.
If you're a speedrunner and know all the tricks, It'll still take some time.
>>
Hyper Metroid and Legacy are both my favorite SM romhacks. The former at first though I remember having trouble advancing because if I remember correctly, I needed super missiles and those were not easy to acquire. Or was it power bombs?
>>
>>4053081
Likely both.
Power bombs are off the beaten path in maridia.
Supers weren't an issue for me since I IBJ'd mine in crateria, and simply didn't go anywhere else until sunken after varia.
>>
File: 1497126007058.gif (897KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
1497126007058.gif
897KB, 800x430px
>>4047660
>Nintendo should legitimize AM2R
See, that makes way to much sense, and therefore Nintendo is going to do the complete opposite of it.
>>
>>4055713
That gif is making me trip balls.
>>
File: 1487829380767.jpg (61KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
1487829380767.jpg
61KB, 500x329px
ITT: /vr/ shits on Super Metroid. Classic!
>>
>>4034150
>>4034150
Easily.
>>
>>4047660
You have to understand that Nintendo doesn't want good games made. They want good games made by themselves, and not other people.
Someone else making a better metroid or mario game than them makes them upset.
>>
Suddenly Metroid II remake
>>
Zero mission
>>
>>4057292
>They want good games made by themselves, and not other people.
Nintendo has not personally handled their Metroid IP for years. They hire other studios to do the dirty work which they are incapable of themselves. Metroid Prime was developed by Retro Studios of Texas, while other M was handled by Team Ninja.
>>
>>4057358
Nintendo just announced Metroid Prime 4, but the developers won't be retro.
They also just announced a new 2D Metroid for 3DS.
>>
>>4057376
>they fell for the 2D platformer with 3D graphics meme
it looks as stupid as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5FO_BetOE

also, nice seeing them admit other M was a mistake and continuing with Prime like it never happened. I have a feeling it's gonna be a lackluster rehash of what we already know from Prime 1 through 3.
>>
>>4034120
The story is literally deviantart tier
>>
>>4051621
The black dude from the newer games?
>>
I decided to replay all possible Metroid games in chronological order starting from today and holy shit I'm getting my ass kicked in the first game. I have only made it to the Ice Beam and I'm already exhausted.
>>
>>4033971
I never played any. I get all weird. I'm like ok I'm gonna play this shit I can't miss a damn thing I can't forget anything I won't get lost. but 10 minutes later I'm lost and don't even remember what the last room was so I give up.
>>
>>4057376
I keep seeing this claim but no one sources me
Please source me

Also, i hate 3d graphics on side scrollers. i'll buy the game though
>>
>>4057358
>Retro of Texas
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto was really involved with that game
>>
>>4058202
He was. Forced them to put in those weird out-of-place morph ball mazes among other things.
>>
>>4058202
http://nintendoeverything.com/metroid-prime-director-on-making-the-game-nintendos-influence-leaving-retro/

Metroid Prime was ultimately a game from both the east and west. Retro made the title, but it did so with plenty of help and ideas from staff in Japan. Had it gone differently, Pacini feels it “wouldn’t have been the same game.” Retro was open to Nintendo’s ideas and gave them “due diligence”. Had Retro worked on it entirely alone with Nintendo putting its name on the box at the end, “it would not have been anywhere as good.” Pacini feels that Metroid Prime’s success was “because it had that collaboration”.
>>
>>4058193
You sound pretty dumb my friend.
>>
>>4058191
Go to metroid construction. There's a modernization patch that adds saving, memory of what you've collected, spawning in at your previously saved health and barring that, full upon start, and iirc, a minimap.
>>
>>4034564
>It's different, therefor it's bad
I liked Fusion's change in formula though, of course it was different, but god dammit, the game worked
>>
>>4059103
That sounds much more bearable but I don't want to feel like I cheated on the true Metroid 1 experience. The game is bullshit most of the time though, I have died a little over 20 times now I bet.
>>
>>4059615
I find it's usually not a huge deal when you die in Metroid 1. You get to keep any progress you've made, instead of being kicked back to your last save point like in other Metroid games.

Kraid is an asshole, though
>>
>>4059626
The only problem so far has been farming up hp orbs after being killed but now I have the Varia Suit equipped so I haven't died since then, also found the Screw Attack and the Wave Beam.
I'm kinda lost now though.
>>
>>4058193
I understand getting lost in the first two games but in the newer games it's all a smooth ride most of the time.
>>
Just in case anyone cares, I have just beat Kraid and I'm now moving on to kill Ridley.
I feel like it had to be the other way around but whatever. Maybe tomorrow I will finally finish the game and move on to Zero Mission. This has been a wild ride.
>>
>>4060236
Kraid is definitely harder, especially if you don't go to Norfair to stock up first.

Have "fun" with Mother Brain.
>>
>>4060236
Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog. Kraid is generally considered the easier of the two. A common strategy involves freezing his spikes mid-air and/or spamming bombs which will hit multiple times.

However, in theory, no item is required to beat Kraid. This speedrunner beats Kraid after getting only the morphball, as it is required to skip to Kraid, and the Energy Tank in Kraids room, because those skips cost some life (out of the initial 30). Nothing else. Not even missiles. He's absolutely insane.

http://www.speedrun.com/run/z5o1l95y

He recently beat his current world record and clocked in just under 12 Minutes by playing the best Tourian anyone has ever witnessed.
>>
>>4060259
>Kraid is definitely harder
His patterns are more erratic and harder to dodge, that's all. With Ridley, you can get a pattern where you're just able to stand in front of him and unload your missiles. They messed up the RNG from the FDS system in the process of porting it to cartridge, so there's only 2 or so attack patterns you can get with Ridley, instead of every fireball being pseudo-random. His hideout is also considered harder, IIRC the enemies deal more damage there.

Someone on gamefaqs also looked up the Boss health from the game memory, if there is any doubt:

Ridley
HP: 140
Missile damage: 4
All else: 1
Fireball/contact damage taken: 24 (12 with Varia)

Kraid
HP: 96
Missile damage: 4
All else: 1
Projectile/contact damage taken: 20 (10 with Varia)
>>
>>4060272
Right, Ridley was meant to be harder, but in practice he's a cakewalk. Just takes more shots, that's all.

Not sure I agree with his hideout being harder, either. The enemies do a lot of damage, but the enemy placement and movement patterns are generally more straightforward and easier to deal with IMO, so I'd say they roughly even out.
>>
>>4060272
Having played the famicom version, I still feel like Kraid is harder there. It's certainly closer though, since the non-broken RNG benefits Ridley more than it does Kraid.
>>
File: metroid nes mockup.gif (50KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
metroid nes mockup.gif
50KB, 500x438px
>>4060284
>>4060289
Yeah, I feel you. Ridley especially feels way to easy when you do Kraid first, as you'll have a massive boost of equipment from both the hideouts by then, plus the 80 missiles from Kraid (plus, optionally, all the Norfair gear + Varia). Ridley always felt like a bit of a letdown.

However it's clear from the coding (Boss HP/Enemy damage) and map layout (Ridley's hideout hidden deep below norfair, Kraid's hideout hidden in plain sight on your way to grab the missiles) that Kraid is meant to be beaten first and Ridely was intended to be harder.
>>
I hope we can an upscaling 3DS emulator soon.
>>
'Troid anon here. I killed Mother Brain after like 10 tries, those fucking Rinka were the worst.
I'm now in the middle of playing Zero Mission, I just got to the Kraid map and activated the zip liner thingies.
>>
Favorite Suit?
Favorite Beam?
Favorite SFX?
Mine's the Gravity Suit, Ice Beam, and the sound that the Screw Attack makes in Super Metroid.
>>
>>4063596
Classic Varia (after Metroid 1), Ice Beam, and the bomb laying sound effect from Metroid 1. Nothing like freezing an enemy and shitting all over them with bombs. Good times.

I really like the Screw Attack sound effect in Zero Mission, to be honest.
>>
>>4063596
Zero mission/AM2R Gravity suit
Plasma Beam
The freezing sound from Super sounds really satisfying for some reason.
>>
File: 884400_700b.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
884400_700b.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
>>4060262
>that Tourian
I kinda tried to pull that off during my playthrough but I kept messing up, jesus.
>>
>>4065754
This man is a living god. Have you seen his current world record run?
The Tourian on that one is just insane.
twitch DOT tv/videos/150445034?t=18m48s (Tourian segment: twitch DOT tv/videos/150445034?t=28m06s ).

He make dat shit look easy.
>>
>>4055358
Ah yes. That room with the super missile upgrade that seems only reachable either with the speed booster or the space jump, but I just always bomb jump the fuck out of it. I don't understand where there could be any more easily reachable super missile upgrade. I guess I need a map to remember.
>>
File: Metroid Sprites 2x.png (37KB, 1296x536px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Sprites 2x.png
37KB, 1296x536px
>>
>>4033971
Super Metroid is the superior title. Fusion is what you play after you finish experiencing the glory of Super Metroid and you still yearn for more; because the replay value of any Metroid game has to grow over months, if not years, of separation from the game.
>>
>>4070207
>Samus' head keeps shrinking

why
>>
>>4033971
If we don't count the "outdated" ones
Super>Zero>AM2R>Fusion

All of them are great though
>>
>>4070395
AM2R is a fangame and doesn't count.
>>
>>4070431
And it doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>4070924
It does. It's on my hard drive right now.
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>4070924
Oh to be young and naive.
>>
>>4070924
Im sure you could find a torrent or 2 of it... the 1.0 and 1.1 versions...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yAj0NzADO0
>>
How easy is it to quickkill Kraid?
>>
>>4075817
Not hard. Pump him full of Super Missiles. It only takes like five.
>>
File: RPM.png (1MB, 1076x802px) Image search: [Google]
RPM.png
1MB, 1076x802px
>>4051621
Super Nintendo referred to him as a Federation explorer.
>source: my shitty memory of a magazine from a quarter century ago
>>
>>4076068
I can believe this. Prime's Federation Marines were supposedly based off that guy.
>>
>>4075817
The timing of the first super missile is a little weird at first, but it becomes muscle memory quickly enough. It's actually a pretty big window, like 10 frames I think? Took me a couple of hours to master it.
>>
>super metroid is prime in 2D
>fusion is other M in 2D

gee I wonder
>>
>>4033971
Super, because Fusion sucks. Constant cutscenes and map waypoints ruin Fusion.
>>
>>4079725
The cutscenes suck but fusion isn't *too* bad. The handholding really ruins zero mission though
>>
>>4051621
thats arthur j metriod may he rest in peace
>>
>>4034141
Redesign is actually awful i still cant believe anyone recommends it

super zero mission is really good until space pirate ship section then it becomes awful trash (just like zero mission)

list of actual good hacks:

Escape
Escape II
GR2
YPR
Cliffhanger
Eris
>>
>>4080323
So basically you have middling taste.
Redesign Axeil Edition is great. So is the entirety of Super Zero Mission.
Escape is trash, so is Cliffhanger.
And you didn't even list Hyper Metroid or Z-Factor.
>>
>>4080771
It pains me to see that our infrastructure for the mentally disabled crumbles, allowing poor souls such as this man to slip through the cracks.
>>
>>4080892
There's no need to be so upset, dude.
>>
>>4080771

gonna have to disagree. Redesign original was actually halfway ok, Axeil is where Drewseph was super upset about all these people (elm and person) speedrunning and breaking his hack, so he tried super hard to enforce a certain path, and still failed. And don't get me started on how terrible the "auto-morph" and "auto-walljump" features are.

I really enjoy z-factor, but I can understand if some people don't like it because of its "find the hole" tendencies.
Cliffhanger and Eris are absolutely top notch hacks, fantastic aesthetic, and great challenges.

Not listed yet, but worth mentions:

Ice Metal: Uninstall
Oxide
Advent
Rise
>>
>>4034564
That's the whole fucking point though. The game design has been corrupted just like Samus herself, while the SA-X is everything that you've lost. It has no guide directing it, it does what it wants, it can sequence break, which all drives home the fear of how weak you are in-game.

Also the boss fights were awesome.
>>
>>4070207
How're there side sprites of the Legendary Varia suit if the game automatically gives you the Gravity Suit afterwards?
>>
>>4083512
The game has an unused bit of code that allows toggling of equipment, just like Super Metroid. It can be enabled with a cheat device. A hack was also made to permanently enable it.
It was originally intended to be used only for Beams, and that's what the cheat device code will do, but the hack also enables it for other equipment, including suits, allowing Power Suit and Varia Suit colors on the Legendary Power Suit.
I don't know a single thing about how the game is actually put together, but if I had to guess I'd say this means one of two things:
1. The game uses palette swapping rather than hard-coded graphics for each suit.
2. The game uses hard-coded graphics and they for whatever reason they included those graphics.

I'm more inclined to believe the first.
>>
>>4033971
Super. The other isn't even retro, never will be.
>>
File: IMG_20170613_085608.jpg (37KB, 406x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_085608.jpg
37KB, 406x407px
>>4088140
>>
>>4088140
Wanna bet?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZS_o9tqWHmJHGmuQRRkfiqhgZIApfLXM
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAaF9UjtHI
>>
>>4034949
Part of it is linear can mean a few things, often its used to describe broad movement patterns in a game rather then "any order you want." I guess an easy way to describe it might be micro linearity and macro linearity.

Most Metriods are nonlinear at the micro level, you have to go back to previous areas in order to advance rather then just following a straight route. Mega Man would be an example of having some macro non-linearity, getting to choose the order you take the first eight levels in well being linear within each level.
>>
File: mzm_ending1.gif (43KB, 240x416px) Image search: [Google]
mzm_ending1.gif
43KB, 240x416px
Why didn't the Gravity Suit catch on like the Varia Suit did?
>>
>>4098834
Because it was the Varia Suit that was thrown in everyone's faces.
To the point that even the series co-creator forgot it existed.
>>
>>4098834
Because Sakamoto doesn't like it. And for some reason, Nintendo still puts him in charge of Metroid.
>>
File: halloween samus.jpg (536KB, 850x1102px) Image search: [Google]
halloween samus.jpg
536KB, 850x1102px
>>4033971
Super is probably the better game but I really like the horror aspects in Fusion.
>>
>>4034613
>>4034586

Fusion has great atmosphere. While no metroid game has bad atmosphere, fusion is really solid.

You have a great sense of dread in the game. The SAX is actually really frightening.

Everyone bitches and complains that there's not enough sequence breaking or getting lost, but when you take in consideration that its a handheld game and was designed to be portable, its some really quality game design
>>
>tfw grew up with Metroid II and didn't experience and appreciate the backtracking/exploring that other Metroid fans do
>tfw really dug the bug hunt setup and was scared every time I had to face another Metroid
>tfw nobody else likes it
but I have two remakes I can play now
>>
>>4033971
REEEEE STOP TALKING ABOUT GBA
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.