[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPGs with different battle systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3975.jpg (120KB, 599x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3975.jpg
120KB, 599x478px
Which RPGs with a twist on the standard RPG battle system do you like /vr/?

Doesn't have to be JRPG either, Infinity Engine games were fairly different than the standard fare that came before.

One of my personal favourites is Grandia. Turn order can be knocked back by being hit and positioning characters in battle is important too. Flawed at times, but very interesting.
>>
treasure hunter g, legend of dragoon, FFIV(if I'm going to list an ATB game I may as well list the one that did it first)
grandia parallel trippers, magna braban (for having the only real time party based battle system I could stomach, even though the game is average)
vandal hearts 2
>>
>>4032817
What game is that pic?
>>
>>4032936
Did you read the OP? It's Grandia.
>>
File: vp_pic1.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vp_pic1.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
Valkyrie Profile has an interesting battle system, though I hate how the game actually plays outside of it.
>>
i cant remember the name of the snes jrpg that had sidescrolling battles and you had to fight your enemies back toward their side of the screen
>>
>>4032980
I'm glad someone else agrees with me.

I really hate Valkyrie Profile as a game, but it looks so beautiful and the combat is interesting.

>>4032991
Tales of Phantasia? Although enemies could come from both sides there.
>>
Lufia 3 and its SF
Positioning between 9 party members in a grid can be adjusted on the fly to affect stats and IP/technique costs.
>>
>>4032980
>>4033003
It's fucking bullshit how to get good ending in VP you have to do step by step shit and have almost no freedom in what you're doing. Though unlike you guys, I like the game other than that aspect . The sidescrolling exploration, managing dead warriors' soul, and the way they told the story with episodes are pretty fun. The sprites are darn nice and Lenneth's special attack made me shit my pants back then when I first saw it because of how cool it was.
>>
Live-A-Live. Battles happen on a grid and positioning matters since all abilities and opponent attacks have specific tile based ranges and patterns, or manipulate the battlefield/positioning in some way
>>
>>4032817
Pokemon
Shadow Hearts
>>
File: treasurehunterg-2[1].png (25KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
treasurehunterg-2[1].png
25KB, 256x224px
>>4032817
Treasure hunter G
>>
>>4032817
Parasite Eve 1 & Vagrant Story
>>
File: Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png (123KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png
123KB, 256x256px
>>4032817
I know I'm the only fan this game has in /vr/.
>>
>>4033450
My nigga, Legaia was the shit.
>>
File: bushi-10.png (20KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
bushi-10.png
20KB, 256x224px
Bushi Seiryuden had turn-based platforming battles
>>
File: 3.jpg (75KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
75KB, 250x187px
Faria (NES / Famicom)

The game is a standard jrpg game in term's of gear/story/leveling, but combat screens load as a top down Zelda-like action sequence.

I don't think /vr/ has discussed it before, but it's a great game.
>>
>>4033020
VP is one of those games where I actually greatly prefer the dub to the original, and that nibelung valesti is a big part of it
>>
File: SFscene05.jpg (86KB, 595x815px) Image search: [Google]
SFscene05.jpg
86KB, 595x815px
Surprised no one has brought up the Saga games.
>>
>>4033507
>invisible enemies
>good game
>>
>>4033450
Fuck yeah! Loved the magic system and how to obtain the Arts, plus the story wasn't half bad either
>>
>>4033507
>>4034070
Faria: A world of mystery and danger is absolutely not a great game.

It's a "hidden gem" that no one talks about for a reason. It's an unfun, grindy JRPG, with no defining features besides having really awful Zelda-style combat and dungeons. It's grindy, it's frustrating, the dungeons are all mazes that take too long to get through, and every single thing is a bunch of run around for no reason.

A game like Final Fantasy has a lot of similarities to Faria, but it's way more fun and way better. That's why something like Final Fantasy is remembered where as Faria isn't.
>>
>>4033678
That's my jam right there. It is a good franchise but the games do feel a bit unfinished and a tad clunky in some way.
>>
>>4033495

Cool. How does that work?
>>
battle system with timing elements like the stuff you see in Legend of Dragoon, Lost Odyssey, shadow hearts and of course the mario rpg games.
>>
What's a game that is similar to Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>4033005
This was the first Lufia game that I played, and was disappointed that the other games didn't use that system.
>>
>>4034796
>mario rpg games
That includes Paper Mario and M&L? Or just SMRPG?
>>
Hybrid Heaven, Little Ninja Brothers, Car Battler Joe.
>>
>>4032903
oh, also BoFIV had a nice one with the combos and character swapping
and Baten Kaitos Origins, Mega Man Battle Network series and FFX's CTB for non-retro battle systems
>>
>>4034819
Google says Chrono Cross and Secret of Mana.
Not really that similar but I like both.
>>
>>4038010
Secret of mana is completely different
Chrono Cross is fine but the game is from that uncomfortable era in 3d gaming that makes replaying it nowadays a pain...
>>
Play Dark Lord on the NES!
>>
>>4032936

Learn to read and google you fucking retard.
>>
>>4032817
Wild ARMS has the force system that lets you unleash special techniques as you get hit/ do damage in battle, but its still pretty generic
>>
Really liked everything in Vagrant Story, except the plot itself and the psx shitting itself at the graphics, made it look like a flu dream all the time.
>>
>>4036619
Every single Mario RPG has the timed hits mechanic from SMRPG, yeah.
>>
Dark Half
>>
File: Edge-pds.jpg (29KB, 450x354px) Image search: [Google]
Edge-pds.jpg
29KB, 450x354px
I liked turning around the enemy in panzer dragoon saga and hiding in the safe spots to charge
>>
>>4039690
Weapon leveling plus degrading weapons is just dumb.
>>
File: shave your waifus.jpg (133KB, 800x674px) Image search: [Google]
shave your waifus.jpg
133KB, 800x674px
>>4032817
Silver (Dreamcast and Win95) if that counts as an RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYX1DPDrdc

It also feels a bit like Ecstatica and Die By The Sword.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOXk3QJWN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9cnUbyiGQ
>>
>>4039650
that's just Lufia 2/3
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.