[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rcade checkpoint shooters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

File: 123548609.jpg (45KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
123548609.jpg
45KB, 480x360px
Can anyone help me make a list of arcade checkpoint memory shoot'em'ups

the style of
>R-type

what's your go to game?
>>
File: xexex.gif (61KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
xexex.gif
61KB, 480x272px
>>4032324
XexeX > any IREM game
>>
>>4032352
will download
>>
Most Toaplan games (especially jap version)
>>
>>4032424
>(especially jap version)
they did rolling re-starts for the Euro and NAmerican versions??
>>
>>4032352
God, why is no other shooter this good?
>>
File: gaiares.jpg (77KB, 426x600px) Image search: [Google]
gaiares.jpg
77KB, 426x600px
Check out Gaiares
>>
>>4032367
Make sure you play Xexex and not Orius.
Orius is garbage.
>>
>>4032352
it's not a checkpoint shooter.
it has rolling restart
>>
>>4034346
do Genesis roms run on MAME?
what should I use?
>>
>>4034495
It's still a memorizer even without checkpoints though.
>>
File: 41000901.jpg (249KB, 850x1204px) Image search: [Google]
41000901.jpg
249KB, 850x1204px
Raiden
>>
>>4034495
Be sure to play the japanese version that one has checkpoints, the western version of xexex is pure garbage

why are you interested in shmups with checkpoints btw OP?
>>
>>4035504
They're more fun and a bigger challenge

R-type and Rezon are amazing to practice on in a spare 20 minutes, and you genuinely improve with every playthrough

I still can't beat the level 1 boss in Rezon

Pulstar is another great imagining/based from r-type

Later and modern shooters have no class. Just shoot the crap out of everything until you die, then carry on exactly where you left off.. who learns anything from That crap?

Memory games take real skill
>>
>>4036684
>Just shoot the crap out of everything until you die, then carry on exactly where you left off.. who learns anything from That crap?
ever tried to play on 1 credit like you are supposed to?
>>
>>4036730
>ever tried to play on 1 credit like you are supposed to?
you've obviously never played r-type2 or rezon. I'm guessing you're kinda new to shooters. The level of difficulty isn't through 1000s of bullets flying at you like your modern bullet hells.

restarts create areas of the game you can practice and experiment with looking for new patterns to move. The fight or flight concept in checkpoint shooters is unique.
>>
>>4036684
You might love Image Fight 1 and 2 on PC Engine
>>
>>4036684
>>4037969
Rezon is crap even by horizontal shooter standards, I don't know what are you praising it lol.
Anyway, you are the one that seems new here, a game without checkpoints can be as hard or harder than one with checkpoints, hence why clearing Raiden 2 takes much more effort than clearing Gradius or R-type for example. Not to mention R-Type has retarded checkpoints and it's much safer to clear the game on one life.
>>
>>4038427
Not him but I like rezon I enjoy the options movement and the power up system.
>>
>>4038427
>Rezon is crap
Says who? The glorious shmup community?
>>
I can't get into those shitty manic shooters like Raiden, Dodonpachi, Ikaruga, Battle Garegga, etc.

I need games with actual level designs, like Gradius and R-Type.
>>
>>4039038
Ikaruga has more level design than R-Type
>>
File: XM.png (62KB, 384x256px) Image search: [Google]
XM.png
62KB, 384x256px
X-Multiply, except the last stage
>>
File: ikaruga.webm (3MB, 240x360px) Image search: [Google]
ikaruga.webm
3MB, 240x360px
>>4039042

wow

much level design

so very complex
>>
>>4039081
That looks amazing, what game is it?
>>
>>4039082
HEEERP DEEEEERP
>>
>>4039023
Says anyone that has played a decent hori, the only good Allumer shmup is Mad Shark.

>>4039038
The enemies ARE the level design you retard, having no walls give you more freedom to deal with them instead of a lot of simon says shit you see in some hori shooters
>>
>>4039193
>simon says shit
?
>>
>>4039193
>The enemies ARE the level design you retard
nice meme

no static structures = no level design
>>
>>4039206
Except a game like Raiden is pretty much 99% static? just because you are too stupid to handle aimed bullets doesn't mean they are random.
>>
>>4039209
>games like Raiden
>requiring any thought
lel

go back to your babby manic shooters kid, while us gradius 3 kings laugh at you from a great height
>>
>>4039221
Raiden 2 is harder than Gradius III, but keep being an uneducated retard who knows nothing about the genre and only plays horis
>>
Cotton.

Don't you dare play the arcade version over the Turbografx version.
>>
>>4039248
do you emulate it?
and
what do you think about the sequel?
>>
>>4032759
Not that I can think of, off the top of my head. All Toaplan games I can think of other than Batsugun are checkpoint.
>>
>>4039043
thank you
can't believe I never got round to playing this before
a great tribute to r-type
I'll let youy know how I feel about the last level if I ever get there
>>
>>4036730
>supposed to

you're supposed to keep feeding the game quarters. that's what they were designed for.
>>
>>4040240
>All Toaplan games I can think of other than Batsugun are checkpoint.
Twin Cobra, Fireshark, Hellfire, Zero Wing and probably some I forgot remove checkpoints in western releaes.
>>
>>4038427
>Rezon is crap even by horizontal shooter standards
bigger more pronounced enemies and ship and it seems to run more fluid than rtype.it's also fun
>>
>>4039193
>Says anyone that has played a decent hori
Who gives a shit what the community of turbo autists has to say.
>>
>>4040467
Nigga saying a shitty imitator with bland stage design, damage sponge enemies and crap music is better than an Irem game is going to far. Try Last resort or Pulstar for good imitators

>>4040467
I didn't even mention any community, it's just so obvious that Rezon is hella mediocre compared to Irem or Konami's output
>>
>>4039043
how the fuck are you meant to beat the rock faces shooting rocks from their eyes?
other than that. fucking awesome
>>
>>4040601
Apparently it's not a bad game to OP as he seems to like it. AGAIN why should I listen to the most disgusting community of aspies on the internet? You're on par with furfags.
>>
Man, original R-Type will forever be my favorite horizontal shooter of all.
Cool graphics, great bosses, stage design, weapons. Default ship speed isn't awful. Fantastic biomechanical style. It's got the works.

>>4039198
apparently memorizer-style games are simon says shit to that anon

>>4038427
Some of OG R-Type's checkpoints are a bit dumb, but you can usually recover.

>>4039038
>Ikaruga
>doesn't have "actual" level design
ikaruga is one of the few verts I can think of offhand with walls and shit (Radiant Silvergun is another)

>>4032352
man, the dumbest thing ever is how fucking butchered the international release was

That being said, do the nips remember this game at all, having had access to the not fucked up version?
It's easily my favorite Konami-made horizontal shooter.
surprised it never got a port to anything
could have been on the Saturn, the graphics are standout

>>4034504
they can, since MAME merged with MESS, but don't bother
use fusion if you're lazy, genesis plus gx if you're less lazy
>>
>>4042185
Not as disgusting as uneducated retards that think a shitty Irem ripoff is better than any shmup wihout checkpoints
>>
>>4042193
Fuck you, I like it. What you gonna do about it bitch boy? Post highscores.
>>
>>4039198
Basically games where there is only one way to overcome a problem, Irem game are memorizers but not simon says because while you have to memorize a personal strategy, there are still different ways to deal with that particular problem that vary from people to people. On the other hand bad Irem ripoff are simon says.

>>4042186
>Some of OG R-Type's checkpoints are a bit dumb, but you can usually recover.
Yeah but I still think R-Type or Gradius are pretty bad examples of a good checkpoint system. Toaplan games have much fairer checkpoints because usually you spawn with a decent shot and some bombs to recover.1
>>
>>4032324
What do you think of Katakis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtW-3sx_1s
>>
>>4042209
just by looking at the pic I'd say it's another r-type influenced game. What do you play this game on?
>>
File: Viewpoint8.jpg (37KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
Viewpoint8.jpg
37KB, 304x224px
>>4032324
Viewpoint
>>
>>4042157
>rock faces shooting rocks from their eyes
You mean on the first level? Just get used to the tentacles and use it as a shield.
>>4040272
it's a pretty cool game but the final level is kind of bullshit with indestructible bombs that have random patterns
>>
>>4042209
it's really bad
>>
File: Sol Divide 02.png (84KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sol Divide 02.png
84KB, 320x224px
Sol Divide is a really messy game, but there's something to be said about a shmup with melee combos and a super meter.
>>
>>4043489
The game is kinda interesting but some of the mechanics are just beyond fucked up, like enemies stopping your combo when they hit you and popcorn coming from everywhere if you are in the right side in the screen much time, loop 2 especially is painful.
>>
>>4043501
Yeah, it's definitely not a shmup I would ever play for scoring or survival. It's a fun credit feed though.
>>
>>4043489
Only the later stages have checkpoints, pretty interesting design.
>>
>>4043119
great soundtrack but you it's a hybrid of auto scrolling and manual. it speeds up when you move forward and it's difficult to judge where the bullets are going.

>>4043489
can anyone give me a quick rundown on this game
>>
>>4044505
>can anyone give me a quick rundown on this game
Shmup community hates it, that means it should be good.
>>
>>4044505
Sol Divide is like a fantasy action game where you fly around and dodge attacks as in a shooter. It feels like a bit of both and is thus very janky. But its also original and the graphics are cool.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (695KB, 1425x1407px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
695KB, 1425x1407px
Dreamcast shmup noob here. I've played Cannon Spike and Bangai-O and enjoyed them, but I'm told they're not true shmups. Is this one any good? I see it has multiple characters to play as and melee attacks, so I'm interested.
>>
>>4044558
Gunbird 2 is great like most late Psikyo shmups. I think the dreamcast port has difficulty selection for beginners which is good, because the arcade is pretty difficult
>>
>>4044558
These people have no idea what they're talking about, Cannon Spike is totally a shmup.
>>
>>4044558
Gunbird 2
GigaWing
Cannon Spike
Border Down
Rez
aaaaaand the best version of Mars Matrix

>Don't listen to the 'shmup community' as with most communities they try to outdo each other on who is the most dedicated purist. wankers
>>
>>4044851
Cannon Spike is the best top down since Robotron
>>
>>4032352
just finished the Japanese version
5 continues
>>
File: pulstar018.png (21KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
pulstar018.png
21KB, 304x224px
>>4032324
XEXEX
X-Multiply
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Zedblade
Rezon

are your best R-Type styled games
>>
>>4049039
>Zedblade
This game is anything but R-Type style
>>
>>4049101
There are more similarities than differences
>>
>>4034346

Please for the love of God, someone explain why this geek is associated with gaiares?
>>
>>4050978
He won a magazine contest.
>>
>>4050980
Thanks
>>
ZeroWing
>>
>>4053446
yes, but it's bottom of the list with Rezon. far too difficult.
>>
>>4050981
>>4050981
And he was really damn good at the game. Gaiares made every other shooter feel boring. I don't know whether to love it or hate it because of that.
>>
>>4057012
>Gaiares made every other shooter feel boring
I don't get it

I prefer xexex and even the Gradius style over that game
>>
File: radrynex.gif (688KB, 159x144px) Image search: [Google]
radrynex.gif
688KB, 159x144px
>>4057012
>Gaiares made every other shooter feel boring.
lol nah, TFIII/IV, Trouble Shooter 1/2, and Biohazard Battle are much better for the same system tbqh
>>
>>4035319
Not really. It's like a tougher Kyuukyoku Tiger (Twin Cobra)
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.