[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Habitat "Alpha Get Hyped Edition" General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: habitatingame1.jpg (56KB, 640x486px) Image search: [Google]
habitatingame1.jpg
56KB, 640x486px
Hey /vr/gins. As we've always loved this board right from the start, and we know that 4Chan in general likes weird MMO's, we're extending a special invite to everyone here to join us in the open alpha of Habitat on Friday!

The Game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_(video_game)

The info on the relaunch and how to connect (final connect info coming Friday): http://neohabitat.org

Habitat is a C64 MMO from 1986, the first graphical MMO. It was played on QLink, the precursor to AOL. It originated the term "Avatar," had in-game currency and an economy, and despite being a largely social environment, even allows players to murder one another.

You'll be able to join Friday via emulator, or if you're hard core enough, C64. You know, provided you can sign your C64 onto the Internet.

We've spent 4 years bringing this game back so that future generations can see the absolute roots of this tremendously successful genre of games. Habitat cost something around $6 an hour to play back in 1986, due to online service pricing of the day. That's like $20 an hour in today's dollars. Very few people ever played Habitat, despite it's landmark status. We hope by making it freely playable it will finally reach a real, widespread audience.

We have a long way to go to build out the world, and as we're an open source project, you can join us. We, in particular, need someone to build a Web-client for the game, similar to what Archive.org does with it's browser-playable systems. We just ask folks to be friendly and open minded, and not negative nancys. We're all volunteers, and the original creators of the game, Chip and Randy, are the ones driving this whole project. They deserve immense respect and praise for their work over the years, and on bringing their creation back to life.
>>
Thanks for being honest about marketing the game, I guess. I'll give it a chance on Friday.

How exactly would I set this up in VICE? Would I need a QuantumLink image?
>>
>>4031879
This is an open source project, so I figured that was fair game for spreading the word in here.

We will be posting a more specific how to on Friday. You won't need anything special, as we're running a QLink Reloaded server ourselves. You'll need the newest version of VICE, and when we post the public image (It's up now if you speak Github) you'll be able to sign in with it.

It's a fairly simple press that requires a few settings tweaks in VICE. Biggest thing you're going to want is a Joystick, or at least, explicit bindings for a joystick in VICE with your 360 controller or whatever.
>>
>>4031873
Were they using Tcl for object behaviour back then?
I used to work for WorldsAway.
>>
>>4033724
This predates tcl by 8 years. They used pl1.
>>
bumping because this is awesome

love old lucasfilm, thanks
>>
>>4031873
Oh man, this is freaking radicool. I watched the GDC talk regarding this recently and was thinking of how neat of a thing it would be if it happened today.

Also we go by /vr/troopers, not /vr/min.
>>
>>4033802
okay. By the time they gave me a job, the software was already in Fujitsu's hands, and then licensed back across the Pacific to WorldsAway. We renamed ourselves VZones. it was kind of a mess, we had this incredibly dedicated userbase but didn't know what to do with it. I think I was the only person in my branch office that knew the history of Habitat, or read Chip Morningstar's papers... nobody else gave a shit, they were trying to figure out how to monetize it.
Christ, there was one artist whose job it was to try to get a specific model of car (Nissan Infiniti ?) into the game for product placement.
>>
>>4036238
Cool.

You should sign in and see how much is similar.
>>
File: dreamscape2.png (113KB, 509x286px) Image search: [Google]
dreamscape2.png
113KB, 509x286px
But what about the newer version though? Is it still alive?
>>
>>4031873
I played Habitat. Not going to play neohabitat, ever. It shouldn't even exist, imo.

Also, the root of MMOs is dungeon, which Richard Bartle kludged into Multi-User Dungeon, not Habitat. Please stop lying about the origin of MMOs.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.