[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Dark_Seed_II_Coverart.png (228KB, 300x393px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Seed_II_Coverart.png
228KB, 300x393px
What went wrong?
>>
Nothing you retsupurae watching cuckold.
>>
>>4031423
>cuckold.
fuck off, you /pol/ posting faggot
>>
>>4031423
did you know people played that game before some literally whos did videos on it
>>
>>4031427
You gotta go back to the YouTube comments.

>>4031436
And it was good then
>>
My film professor designed this game.
>>
>>4031524
go on
>>
>>4031525
He told me it was his favorite project he worked on
>>
>>4031419
They tried to add depth to a shallow point and click adventure that was mostly a vanity project for the lead developer (Mike Dawson. Yes, really.) and H.R. Giger.

Unfortunately, what they ended up with was the kind of meandering bullshit that most 90's adventure games get tarred with: absurd fetch quests disguised as puzzles, style over substance by relying on FMVs and hilariously dated cgi, voice acting that ranged from "okay" to "we promised our relatives we'd let them be in a video game" and let's not forget everyone's favorite: plot consistency taking a back seat to edgy weirdness.

Frankly, there are games that did what Dark Seed 2 did a lot better: DreamWeb did the "is the protagonist crazy or not" in a more interesting way (that's the ONLY thing it did well), Harvester was darkly comic and genuinely uncomfortable in a lot of interesting ways and I Have No Mouth was Cyberdreams' only good game.
>>4031436
>literally whos
Those two helped create Let's Plays, ya dingus
>>4031524
>>4031529
That's actually really interesting... did he say which parts he loved making the most?
>>
>>4031539
Cringe
>>
>None of the staff from the first game were involved
>The rest of the staff miss-interpreted what the writer wrote, and thus shit that could have been pretty neat if done right end up being confusing and unfulfilling, especially the ending.
>So many questions unanswered and will remain so because no one wants to talk about or even remember this game, and the only thing it's known for is a bunch of dumb jokes made by some faggots on Something Awful 6 years ago
>Shitty characters with the only good ones being Paul and the keepers
>The first game had a time limit, along with a lot more freedom to absolutely screw yourself up, there was quite a lot of urgency to do shit right and do shit in such a short amount of time. Second game doesn't have that urgency and because of that, just feels like yet another mid 90s point and click.
>The graphics are not creepy, and instead is just bizarre photoshops
>The game is absolutely fucking boring to play, because you literally have to talk to just about everyone and exhaust through many dialogue options just to have something remotely interesting happen, so you can progress (Seriously, I actually played through the whole damn game, and it was painful)
>As interesting as the story and lore is, there really isn't much suggesting that Mike killed Rita
>The ending is just a clusterfuck: Jack says "I'm not the shape shifter, I'm your darkworld counterpart", then shifts shape, then kills mike, but no one notices Jack, how is Jack not dying in the light world if he's not the shape shifter? Why does Jack mention the Power generator? Is Jack the murderer? Was Mike working for the ancients? Is the Dark world real? No one cares, nothing will ever be answered or discussed as the game is a joke now
>Mike could have just dragged anyone into the Dark world and shown them that it exists
Well, the soundtrack was pretty damn good at least. Cyberdreams hired god tier composers during the mid 90s as I have no Anus Cream also had a great soundtrack
>>
>>4031539
Retsupurae is practically dead at this point, they stopped doing actual commenting on Let's plays and both of them have pretty much succumbed to political correctness, not to mention Slowbeef comes off as egotistical when he says "I invented video let's plays guys! I'm so cool!".
>>
>>4031572
The least cool claim to fame is insisting you invented playing games for the internet
>>
>>4031529
How does he feel about it essentially being a joke now? Can he answer some questions about it's development and maybe have held onto some assets?

Are you sure he did work on Darkseed 2, or are you talking about Mike Dawson who is in a film school now? Mike had nothing to do with the sequel, though it would be nice to hear what he thinks of it
>>
>>4031419
The seed was too dark, anon.
>>
>>4031568
>>The rest of the staff miss-interpreted what the writer wrote, and thus shit that could have been pretty neat if done right end up being confusing and unfulfilling, especially the ending.
is there any documents of what the original ideas were because id be curious
>>
>>4031524
>>4031539
Well, I did an interview with him for another class but when it came to the questions surrounding games he mainly told me what the career climate was back then, i.e., you never knew when your next project would be, he fell into it through a friend-of-a-friend connection, game development is much more complicated now so simple designers like him are considered unnecessary, etc.

The games he liked most (and what he ended up designing at the start) were text adventures, as he was an aspiring author at the time so I guess that genre worked for him. The most notable job he did was co-designing and writing Ultima VII with Richard Garriott. He also liked Wolfenstein 3D a lot back in the day.

After Dark Seed 2 he was offered the job of continuing the James Bond novels so he dropped designing games. I don't blame him because designing games sounded like a very hard way to make money.

Since then he's also written some game adaptations I think, like the first few Metal Gear Solid novelizations.

Overall he was a really cool dude when I talked to him.
>>
>>4032141
The documents are lost and we have no idea, but Slowbeef did interview the writer 11 years ago, same writer who did a bunch of Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell novels. The story itself has all the potential to be pretty interesting and good, but for some reason, whether it's because of lack of budget, lack of communication or something else, the execution was confusing, awkward, uncompelling and just bad. It could have been an interesting experience, but instead it just falls flat and comes off as awkward. If you looked at the interview and then played or watched the game, you would probably get the idea that there was some kinda of error in communication or something like that
>>
>>4031572
They're burnt out on mocking Let's Plays, so they've been diversifying for the past couple of years. Also, they were both pretty liberal, and I have no idea where you got the idea that slowbeef's an egomaniac.
>>4032174
>>4032374
That's actually really interesting, and explains a lot about the game.
>>
>>4031568
This guy gets it
>>
>>4032482

Poster of >>4032374 here, I'm not exactly sure if there actually was miscommunication between writer and rest of the dev team, but in a way, it feels that way.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.