[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have to worry about disk rot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1600x863px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1600x863px
Do I have to worry about disk rot?
>>
>>4030982
I'd be more worried about disk failure than disk rot.
>>
>>4030982
Unless you live in the amazon rain forest, you should be fine.
>>
>>4030982
If you aren't a literal retard who leaves his discs out in direct sunlight 24/7 you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1435707991802[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1435707991802[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
You don't HAVE to worry about anything, Anon but disc rot should be pretty low on the list
>>
>>4030982
>>4031120
>>4031128
>>4031191
Disc rot is very real. 6thgen and later is plagued with shit manufacturing. Retro is too.
>>
>>4031194
>plagued
nah - sega cheaped out on their manufacturing there for half a decade or so but the natural failure rate is still under 5% even in the worst cases
>>
>>4031202
Not true at all. If you buy bulk 6thgen you are guaranteed to have discs with spots on them.
>>
>>4031205
Not retro - and 6th gen consoles have better ECC in them anyway.
>>
>>4031206
Irrelevant since Saturn and PS1 get effected along with the other CD systems. In my experience not nearly as bad but I still have some CDs with rot I throw around. I've posted pics before.
>>
>>4031209
Everything can have manufacturing errors but PS1 is the best of the best. If anything, the exception proves the rule.
>>
>>4031265
PS1 discs tend to get pinholes instead of spots.
>>
>>4031284
I think pinholes are from storage
>>
>>4030982
You do. You're a frog who lives is a puddle of mud. When you store discs in a puddle of mod they rot. The rest of us have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>4031209
>>4031265
PS1 discs have worse error correction than most other CDs, including saturn, since they use mode 2 data format though.
>>
>>4030982
Maybe? I bought a first gen CD-RW as soon as it was available and always used the cheapest discs and even though they were stored in cool dark places in non-abrasive cases almost everything from the 1990s is corrupt now.

My commercial discs from the same era are all okay as far as I know although I don't test them regularly.
>>
>>4030982

If you're disc stops working then just burn it onto a new one.
>>
>tfw TES bloodmoon.iso I took from my nas gave CRC error on install and I had to redownload it
>meanwhile my gothic 1 CD I burned 10 years ago is still functioning

Why is network transfer / archiving so insiduous? My last nas would corrupt any file bigger than 2GB
>>
It's my nightmare
Now I think about it more than once before you buy a cd game, under what conditions is it? How long will it last? etc.
>>
It's a concern, but as long as you take care of your disks it shouldn't ever be a problem in your lifetime.
>>
Anything with the word Rot in it should concern you.
>>
>>4031205
I have alot of games for all systems, NONE of them have disc rot, where do you live?
>>
>>4033276
Your definition of "a lot" and/or "all" must be pretty broad or you don't really closely inspect your games. Go through 50 Sega CD games and if you don't find a noticeable manufacturing defect you should go buy a lottery ticket.
>>
>>4033324
Well I have 1 legit PC Engine CD game, about 20 to 30 PS1 and 50 or so PC CD games 20 of them DOS games. None of them have CD rot, the only CDs that did, where 2 or 3 original audio cds (Brothers In Arms for instance) the other few that did have disc rot where not held in a jewelcase and left in the car
>>
>>4033324
A manufacturing defect isn't disc rot. Some defects can lead to it but they're not the same thing and not all defects do. I have hundreds of disc and plenty have defects. I only have two that have disc rot. They're chink bootleg DC ARs that I bought in a lot of water damaged goods from a warehouse in Hong Kong.
>>
>>4034080
Well then if that's your definition of disc rot no one who stores their discs properly needs to worry about it.
>>
>>4034092
Can't think of another rational definition. Despite kiddie claims, a kid scratching their toys isn't "rotting" them. Although that could damage a disc to the point it's susceptible to rot. Even if you store your discs properly it's possible a defect could cause disc rot. If the defect exposes the reflective layer it will eventually corrode. But for the most part unless you have a disc that's damaged either through abuse or a manufacturing defect you have nothing to worry about. As long as you store them like any normal sane person would.
>>
>>4032628
>file bigger than 2gb.
You might have been using a fat32 disk, and the has was too dumb to care the file can't be stored on fat32
>>
>>4034426
i doubt anyone formats their stuff with that though.
>>
>>4034427
Meh, a cheap nas would. Users might expect to plug the harddrive into a Windows machine and use it. Ntfs is buggy outside of windows. Gotta use fat32 then

I just got a synology nas and it's fucking amazing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.