[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is vidya cultured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

Are retro vidyas on the same level of high art as film and literature
>>
>>4029613
Vidya is a reddit meme taken from 08/09 /v/.

Video games on the other hand have a large impact on culture. As pop culture they are very important. That impact is mostly from the non retro side though. While the roots are on the retro side. The majority of retro games are still out of the mass public's eye.
>>
>>4029631
/thread
>>
Videogames are toys, you're literally a grown ass man playing with yourself in a dark room. Grow up.
>>
video games are entertainment, art is a buzzword hijacked by jews
>>
wtf, of course not you dipshit
>>
>>4029645
>art is a buzzword
let me guess, youre a white male engineer who hates contemporary art?
>>
>>4029613
no, nerd.
>>
>>4029613
yes it is. don't ever let someone trick you into thinking their form of escape is superior to yours. pompous lies
>>
>>4029613
I'm not familiar with the circles of high art, but if I were to take a completely uneducated guess, I would say no.

I don't think the snobs of society are taking retro videos very seriously, not to say they won't at some point in the future. I could well imagine them using it for yet one more reason to elevate their standing among other snobs.

Perhaps one day they will also find captcha images to be all of the rage, who knows?
>>
>>4029613
>>4029639

I think that the distinction between our ability to view video games as art and the ability to view other mediums as art isn't commodification but the lack of a well-defined critical language. There are plenty of "disposable" commodified movies, paintings, and music, but unlike with videogames we as a society have developed critical theories to interpret these works through an academic lens.

Granted, I think games are largely more commercial than many "serious" mediums, but I believe that even relatively simple games like "DoDonPachi" or "Adventure Island 4" have significant artistic merit.
>>
>>4029613
>high art
No "retro vidyas" are no where near as shit as the shit underage summerfags like you call "film and literature"

>>4029639
And you're literally an underage boy playing with your gramps toys in a dark room.
>>
>>4029613
Lookat Yoshi's Island and tell me it isn't art.

Sculptures of two roughly hewn male figures jerking each other off are considered modern art. The bar is really not set that high.
>>
>>4030392
The latter seems more appealing than Yoshi's Island.
>>
i feel bad that i know lil b exists
>>
>>4030449
ouch
>>
>>4029613

yes they are based god
>>
>>4029729
hahahaha, and if he's not, he wasn't smart enough to get into school and resents it.
>>
>>4029729
Not that guy, but I am a white male programmer and I hate contemporary art. I wasn't even aware that was a stereotype
>>
File: LUNAR ETERNAL BLUE_701.jpg (16KB, 320x229px) Image search: [Google]
LUNAR ETERNAL BLUE_701.jpg
16KB, 320x229px
>>4029613
They're like any other medium. A book can be Slaughterhouse Five or it can be 50 Shades of Grey. Simply being a book doesn't make it high or low art.
>>
>"""High art""""

Spare me this prententious bullshit term
>>
>>4030917
Just about anyone who hasn't studied art hates contemporary art and even among them there's a lot of debate as to how much of it is crap. Programmers and engineers typically haven't also studied art so it's a safe assumption to make.
>>
In the postmodern age, you shouldn't care about that because there are no authorities in the quality of art/entertainment anymore. The quality of art is always based on the audience and there is no "best" audience, concepts like high art only matter if you're trying to impress (or annoy) the crowds who consider themselves to be into "high art".

T. Art fag
>>
>>4030925
This desu. It's pretty easy to tell if a game is high art.

LSD Dream Simulator is high art. It's meant to make a statement and evoke a feeling. Being fun or entertaining isn't important.

Sonic the Hedgehog is low art. It's meant to be fun and entertaining. It doesn't matter of it evokes a feeling or makes a statement.
>>
>>4030941
gay sanic port is the highest form of age
>tfw too smart to fap to straight furry
>>
>>4030941
Isn't "fun" a feeling? What's the statement that LSD makes? Why is it important?
>>
>>4030942
more like too pleb
>>
>>4030948

I dunno man that's just how I can tell the difference between high and low art. High art is for joggin' the noggin and making the ol' neurons fire, while low art is for entertaining groundlings.

It's very Potter Stewart. Hard to define in words but I knows it when I sees it.
>>
>>4030941
The next important thing to understand is that high vs low art is simply a description of what the purpose is. It's not a value judgement. High art isn't necessarily better, it's just different.
>>
>>4030917
You only hate contemporary art because you haven't seen anything good. Probably because there's so little that is good. There's nothing wrong with not "appreciating" trash and feces pasted together at a kindergarten level.
>>
>>4029613
>high art as film and literature

No. Because only fags and femanons care about "high" art. The same people who fund Feminazi Kekstarters and either don't play games or want to ban all games because sexist violent boy's sport.

>inb4 shitposting
>>
>>4029613
https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2013/sep/20/video-games-cause-violence-claims-cause-violence

>What cultured people want
>Roy Parker, a father of three from Devon, argues that video games should be banned entirely.

>"It's ridiculous that they're even allowed. I don't want my children growing up in a world where horrible stuff like that is just out there where anybody can come across it and be damaged by it."

>Mr Parker later left a comment on the Daily Mail website, arguing that the death penalty should be reinstated for immigrants and anyone with the audacity to be poor.
>>
Whether or not something is high art is something you have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis, describing a whole medium as high art is nonsensical.
>>
video games are just retarded entertainment. there is no video game that will allow you to experience the sublime
>>
>>4031760
i hate those people and they do not care about art
>>
>>4032609

very much this.
>>
the best artist that video games have is hideo kojima and that's just sad
>>
>>4029613
Literature >>> film > video games

Film cannot really be considered "high art" and video games aren't much lower than film.
>>
>>4032627
Erich von Stroheim, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Sergei Eisenstein, Jean Renoir, Josef von Sternberg, Jean Vigo, and others, prove otherwise, IMO
>>
>>4032637
Good art =/= high art.

Even the best films have something shallow compared to, say, Proust or Nietzsche.
>>
>>4029613
Not even close, videogames aren't art.

Shit like LSD Dream Simulator aren't games since there is no objective.

I mean, SMB3 is considered one of the greatest games of all time but you would be hard-pressed to find someone that considers it art. They'd probably rank that job simulator "Papers please" over SMB3, despite it being boring as fuck.

>inb4 it's not meant to be entertaining

Man, Schindler's List isn't "entertaining", but it is sure as hell is engrossing.
>>
>>4032645
If you think philosophical or psychological depth are prerequisites for "high art" then we'll have to throw out nearly all music and visual arts. There are many aesthetic dimensions other than those, however.
>>
is monopoly an art? is solitaire an art?

video games are not "art", at least not in the same way music, painting, architecture, literature, films are. Those who say
>games can contain music, images, and stories, so they are on the same level at movies at least
are just deluding themselves. Even the best videogames in that aspect are terrible compared to the actual masterpieces in the other fields. What makes a vidya "great" has more to do with how deep your interaction with the software and the immersion in the game's universe are, and both those have more to do with controls and gameplay than characters or """"""""lore"""""".
tl;dr: Tetris is a better representative of "video game art" than Earthbound or any other hipster cult object.
>>
>>4032664
I find it curious that you don't mention graphics or music as what makes a video game great. Pixel art and FM chip music are not comparable to a movie's images and sound. They are not trying to achieve the same result.
>>
>>4029729
>>4030609

let me guess, either dumb women, or unemployed liberal arts graduates who hide their weak chins behind pube beards and wear thick-rimmed glasses
>>
>>4032672
pixel art and chiptunes were just the best means to try and replicate more complex images and sounds. Of course they got so ingrained within the world of videogames that they became kind of a genre of their own, but as soon as more realistic and "movie-like" images came into the world of video games, many big companies took the chance. Heck, I still remember all the (hilarious, in hindsight) hype for FF13 raiding on the whole "interactive movie" thing.
>>
>>4032679
It's a bit like saying literature was just the best way to replicate more complex stories, and now there are movies to do this, etc.

Limitations make art.
>>
>>4032685
to be fair ever since movies got popular theatre had a pretty rough downfall. Either way there is no sound or image quality that is "exclusive" to videogames. Pixel art and chiptunes are not an irreplaceable part of what makes video games what they are.
>>
>>4032686
The thread (like the board) is about retro video games.

Anyway, I don't even have a PS4 and I'm watching Driveclub videos just because it's beautiful, for the aesthetic experience: no movie does replicate this.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.