[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pc engine/ Turbografix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 342x147px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 342x147px
Discuss your favorite games and other things about the pc engine. What do you think of it?
>>
Original weeb console.
>>
Had a lot of bullet he'll games. Especially on the CD version.
>>
File: PC Engine Extras 2.jpg (621KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PC Engine Extras 2.jpg
621KB, 2048x1536px
Looking at a PCE collection feels like I'm LITERALLY regrowing my virginity.
>>
>>4027918
Kek. The creepy anime weeb shit is part of the charm.
>>
File: Need_to_fix_sound.jpg (776KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Need_to_fix_sound.jpg
776KB, 2592x1944px
Who do you recommend to recap a Duo? How much are their services?

I had it recapped and the sound still died on me a few weeks ago after a good year of born again fun.

It is like my youth's beloved memories are on life support and I will have to make the hard decision to pull the plug soon. A replacement is just too expensive, and I fear a recapping may be too.
>>
>>4027981
I see someone on ebay that'll do it for $55 and claims to "guarantee" it. That's rough though, I hear about things going wrong on Duos all the time and they cost so god damn much
>>
someone buy me one. I'm no gay, but I'll pretend to be and will show you my penis
>>
>>4028040
Fuck you, just emulate on mednafen
>>
>>4028058
I can't figure it out! daddy, do you want to come help me?
>>
>>4028067
Can't help you, you're retarded.
>>
>>4028067
>Download retroarch
>Go to core updater and select your pc engine emulator of choice.
>Download roms from an emulator website.
Go to core info in retroarch with your emulator chosen. It should list required bios.
>Google the required files and put them in the retroarch system folder.
>Plug in controller and load the cue or bin file you got in step 3
Have fun.
If you can't figure this guide out than look on youtube.
>>
>>4028092
are you gonna tickle me now?
>>
>>4028105
No faggot
>>
File: Cheap_imitations.jpg (569KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Cheap_imitations.jpg
569KB, 2592x1944px
>>4028036
I think that may be the same person which I had help me out before. The "guarantee" cannot be invoked as it has been just over a year. I saved up for the first $100+ repair (adding in shipping to/from), it is at the point where I cannot afford to do this yearly. It makes me so sad as I love the games and it is so fun to play, but funds are so hard to come by.
>>
>>4027904
Awesome console. One of the reasons and ways I learned moon. Massive warm fuzzies playing CD games while nintnedrones waited years for the CDless SNES.

>>4027918
>regrowing
You're not fooling anyone.. Or you have a sick uncle.
>>
>>4028136
Recommend some moon pce games to brush up my japanese skills. I already know basic grammar and kanji
>>
File: Virgin Dream.jpg (48KB, 384x378px) Image search: [Google]
Virgin Dream.jpg
48KB, 384x378px
>>4028142
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 230x220px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 230x220px
>>4028151
Bwahahha that is too perfect
>>
>>4027981
there are several great people on the PC Engine FX fourms. I just bought my RGB recapped Duo for a user iirc named mckchris?? works like a charm.
>>
I bought it because I did not have enough money to buy megadrive.
My favorite games are bloodywolf and motorancer.
>>
>>4027904
Dragon Egg
Doraemon games
Bonk games
Adventure Island
Puzzle Boy
Parasol Stars
Parodius
>>
I couldn't get the PC-FX past the NEC/Music/Game/Photo Select bios menu when loading Rondo of Blood in Mednafen so I gave up. I'd load the cue and then try to press I and II and RUN while selecting the photo with the swordsman/disc but it never works.

Anyone know what's up? I've tried 4 different Rondo of Blood cue/bins and since I get to the PC-FX bios it means that I've got the bios in the right places. I've heard talk of a PC app Rondo of Blood that circumvents all of this bullshit but haven't seen it for download anywhere.
>>
File: PCE DD.jpg (884KB, 3008x1693px) Image search: [Google]
PCE DD.jpg
884KB, 3008x1693px
>>4027904
I'm a big fan, it's a really fascinating piece of hardware. I have 2 original white units and am hoping to get a CD system of some kind, be it the add-on or a DUO/R. The arcade ports on it are some of my favorites, not because they're particularly 'accurate' but because they're really fun. OutRun in particular comes to mind, the Space Invaders port is fantastic as well. Galaga 90 is great, etc, etc. HuZero, which is a homebrew 2 minute time-trial F-Zero clone is impressive technically, and also super fun. Finally, the sound chip on the PCE is just god-tier.
>>
>>4028793
Rondo of Blood isn't a PC-FX game, that could be your problem.
>>
>>4027981
>Who do you recommend to recap a Duo? How much are their services?
Do it yourself.
Price is price of replacement caps and 2 hours of work on the weekend.
>>
>>4028795

well trying to load it with just the NEC PCE CD it told me it was an incorrect file size.

jeez, what the heck is this. Thanks anon. Im one step closer to figuring this crap out.
>>
>>4028795
>>4028823

wow, it finally decided to work.

Only now, the sound is sped up. Well, at least its working. Thanks again.
>>
>>4028823
>>4028826
No problem, it runs perfectly in Mednafen on my Wii so I'm not sure what could be causing the sound issues.
>>
>>4028837

Yeah I have no clue either. All sounds are being played at roughly twice the speed they should be and I can't find any setting in Medgui that helps me solve the problem.

Still, its actually working now.
>>
>>4028839
Is it the CD-Audio that's playing too fast? Those tracks (I believe) have to be converted to OGG for Mednafen to use, if that's the case, I wonder if the rip you have has the files converted in a weird way. Incorrect bit-rates can lead to sped-up tracks in some cases.
>>
>>4028842

I used an english translated rip that I found on the Iso Zone and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help. Seriously.
>>
>>4028848
Anytime hombre, always happy to spread the PCE love, enjoy it!
>>
File: vlad the implier.jpg (27KB, 340x360px) Image search: [Google]
vlad the implier.jpg
27KB, 340x360px
>>4028814
>>
Any PCE folks know if there's a program to convert HES files into PCE ROMs that could be played on real hardware with a flash cart? Chris Covell has a cool visualizer (and some pre assembled HES/PCE conversions), but you have to hex edit the HES files and build out the ROM with an assembler which is over my head. Didn't want to start a new thread, and I'm not having much luck with Google.
>>
>>4029265
The fuck is a HES file?
>>
>>4029269
Isolated chiptune audio format in a single file.
>>
>>4029269
It's to the PC Engine/TG-16 as an NSF is to the NES/Famicom. Basically a music only ROM.
>>
These niggers chronicled the entire library
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com
>>
>>4027904
The most underrated console in existence.
>>
>>4029869
Only in America, it was pretty fairly rated in Japan.
>>
Stupid PCE CD devs had the habit of doing voiced cutscenes without subtitles. It's a pain in the ass for japanese learners.
>>
File: 162000017.jpg (70KB, 382x384px) Image search: [Google]
162000017.jpg
70KB, 382x384px
>>4029990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CdFxFpAV9g&t=6m14s
>voice volume way too low
>script full of made up sci-fi terms
Welcome to hell
>>
Still trying to find a patched Dawn of Ys fandub upload. All attempts I've made to patched have ended in miserable failure.
>>
File: 1496046715746.jpg (37KB, 557x564px) Image search: [Google]
1496046715746.jpg
37KB, 557x564px
>>4027904
If I were just getting into the PC engine, what hardware and controllers would you recommend? I know it has a two button controller, but are there any worthwhile game that use more than 2?
>>
File: Sol Bianca audio.png (26KB, 815x327px) Image search: [Google]
Sol Bianca audio.png
26KB, 815x327px
>>4030031
Even native speakers are complaining it's impossible to hear half the time
>>
>>4030145
The street fighter 2 port is better than the genesis one, and a number of the other fighting games are pretty quality if you have an arcade card. But fighting games are really all you need it for.

As for hardware, I say go for the core grafx. Japanese hucard games are usually half the price of their TG16 counterparts or less. Core grafx systems with everything usually go for around 60-70 bucks, but if you have the composite cables and a PSU for a genesis model 1 or master system then you have all the hookups you need. Bare core grafx units can be found for around 30 bucks and controllers for around 20 (or less if you find an auction) so you can save a few bucks that way.

Unless you wanna play the CD games too, which are a huge addition to the library. Then be ready to shell out $250+ for a duo.
>>
>>4030517
I got my Duo for ~$130 a few months ago. There are still deals out there if you're patient.
>>
>>4027918
What's that game with bomberman's face?
>>
>>4030559
One of those collection games
>>
>>4030145
I went for a White PCE and run RF on my CRT. I got it with a controller or under $50 shipped. I also just got a backup 'untested' unit for under $30 shipped, and it works perfectly. I got a RGB/Composite adapter for like $20 on eBay if I want better video. Controllers cost about as much as the console itself, which is seriously unfortunate, you really don't need a 6-button unless you're dying to play the fighting games that are largely available on other platforms. Totokek does have a PS1 to PCE controller adapter though. Basically, just grab whatever console you're willing to spend on, and buy an EverDrive. The Turbo ED plays literally every HuCard game, and they're ~$60 from China, ~$90 from the Krikzz. You'll spend that on a handful of games as it is, and the TED can act as the Super CD-ROM System Card V3, which is handy as well, should you choose to get a CD-Unit down the line.
>>
>>4030547
Was it recapped and fully functional?
>>
>>4030793
No idea if it's recapped and I don't have the proper screwdriver bit to open it and check, but it works flawlessly in any case. Might have it recapped at some point anyway just to be sure.
>>
>>4030848
That's awesome, anon. I've been on the look-out but I refuse to pay $300+ for one. Thinking about getting an IFU and CD-ROM drive since I already have 2 bare PCEs.
>>
>>4027904
I like it more than the genesis/sega cd and about even with the snes. Certain genres are definitely stronger than others on it though

>favorite hucard

Mr Heli
Bonk 2
Liquid kids
Soldier Blade
Super dodgeball
Salamander
Bomberman 93 and 94
Parasol stars
Wonder boy 3
Ninja Gaiden
Air zonk
Atomic robo kid

Favorite cd

>rondo of blood
>Ys IV dawn of us
>river city ransom
>chiki chiki boys
>strider (it's not great but it has some interesting features)
>tenchi wo kurau
>gate of thunder

There are a lot of CD games I still want to try. The legend of Xanadu translations are also coming out soon
>>
File: Victim_of_scarcity.jpg (3MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Victim_of_scarcity.jpg
3MB, 2304x1728px
>>4028406
It may just cheaper to get a whole recapped system instead of shipping my dead one to and from tor another repair, but the Duo is the one I had in my youth. It will seem sadder I will essentially have to toss it.

>>4028814
Unfortunately, I lack the fine motor skills, equipment, and parts so I cannot do it myself.
>>
I've had an old TG16 base for years but I am not even sure if it works. I don't have the hookups or a controller. Anyone know what I would need to at least test it without spending a ton of money?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.