[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flash Cart Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 11

File: china ver.jpg (91KB, 850x734px) Image search: [Google]
china ver.jpg
91KB, 850x734px
Thread for flash cart discussion. Talk about which carts you own, which carts you want to own, which carts you would or would not recommend, etc.

I've been saving up some money for a while now and was looking to get flash carts for my SNES and N64. I was thinking about the ED64Plus for the N64 since it's compatibility is comparable to an Everdrive, but I'm having a hard time deciding on an SNES cart. I feel like the SD2SNES, even though it has the best compatibility, is kind of a waste to buy now since they're still rolling out features like FX compatibility. I like the enhancement chip feature that the Super UFO Pro 8 has (you can plug in any game with an enhancement chip to play other games that use that chip), but I've heard that this doesn't really work and that otherwise the SUP8 is pretty mediocre. Would the Super Everdrive China Version be a good buy? I could miss out on playing enhancement chip games if it means saving quite a bit of money. What are your opinions on this /vr/?
>>
>>4027445
>you can plug in any game with an enhancement chip to play other games that use that chip
You can't. I believe that this idea is a result of bad Chinese English. I have one and I tested this claim. You can only play a rom of the specific game you have plugged in. All the cart swapping and rebooting DID end up screwing up the firmware though so mine no longer reads from its SD card rendering it worthless before I even got around to testing if a romhack of the game like for example an english translation would work or not. The only reason to get a UFO over a chinese Super ED is if you want to backup existing SRAM saves you have emotional attachments to on your carts.
>>
>>4027445
I have a super everdrive china. It takes a long time to switch games, 30-60 seconds for the rom to be flashed, but otherwise works fine. Get the SD2SNES if this bothers you, but don't count on future chip support.
>>
>>4027469
You can actually, it just shows a black screen. Mine still works
>>
>>4027445
I really, really wish there was a catch-all SNES flashcart that actually had full support for the special chips available, and maybe a special version that added additional a more powerful FPGA or whatever to allow support for Sufami Turbo and SGB without needing a second Everdrive. I'm sure the SD2SNES is decent but that price tag is rather hard to swallow considering the size of that incompatibility list and almost lack of real updates.
>>
>>4027445
I have this exact flashcart in the mail, got it for $40. Will this thing support .bin, .rom or any other ROM filenames, or does it only support .smc?
>>
>>4027445
Okay, I made a post but deleted it, this thread is better.

Super Everdrive v2 isn't saving game for Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.

It says it's saving but no save game data can be found when trying to load.

No problems with other games though.
>>
>>4027851
It'd be really nice if someone could port the existing firmware for the FPGA the SD2SNES uses to a model with more available resources so SFX2/SA1 would be added without requiring changing the laws of physics.

Not sure if that's something that could be easily done though; Only real way I can see a flashcart supporting those without someone starting over from the start.
>>
I just wish they would add fucking DSP support so I could play Mario Kart.
>>
>>4027851
Personally I'd settle for a second port on top of the cart that allows you to use a cart with the right chip or something similar.

I'd gladly track down a copy of Power Rangers Zeo or something with an SA1 in it to be able to play Kirby Super Star, Super Mario RPG, DBZ Hyper Dimension and Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, or take out my copy of Star Fox to be able to play Star Fox 2.
>>
>>4027725
I'm not saying it was the running n SA-1 rom with a different SA-1 cart that corrupted it. It was probably just from me doing too many reboots too quickly with too many combinations of different carts and different roms on different sd cards but everdrives are definitely more reliable and chinese ones are just as cheap.
>>
>>4027445
Back in the day did you have a fuckload of games or were u happy with just a couple?
personally i always bought new games all the time, untiil one day i said lol i'm too old for games
*sells whole collection*
>>
>>4027445

I bought a SD2SNES last year, and I'm pretty happy with it. sucks I can't play SA-1 games, but there's still a whole bunch of games I can play, plus Rom Hacks.
>>
>>4027445
Do you care about MSU-1 hacks? Do you care about Megaman X2/X3 or Star Ocean? Do long load times bother you?

If you answered yes to any of those, get an SD2SNES. Otherwise, Super Everdrive. Don't bother with the Super UFO or anything else. Sucks that you still can't play Super FX or SA-1 games, but that's the situation right now. Super FX might be supported on the SD2SNES some time in the future, but don't count on it.
>>
I've said this before, none of the SFX games are good and this includes Yoshi Island.
>>
SFX games are overrated unplayable choppy early 3D shit.
>>
>>4028281
That is an impressive number of meme buzzwords for such a short post. Hats off to you, sir.
>>
>>4028272
This is the correct answer. Kinda surprised that one guy who's convinced 20 year old chinese floppy disk copiers are just as good as flashcarts hasn't shown up yet to rant and rave yet, but I guess he's busy in the other thread.
>>
>>4028275
What a fucking pleb
>>
>>4027864
Well I just got it, I can confirm it supports .sfc.

Also, several things nobody mentions about this cart:
It can only load 200 entries in a folder. I had to split my US romset into 5 folders.
Backing up SRAM to SD takes a really, really fucking long time. Like 5 minutes long. It will automatically do it when you erase a game that uses battery saves and you can't skip this.
>>
>>4030591
Hes 100% right tho
SuperFXsucked
>>
Finding flash cartridges on Aliexpress is always such a pain. Could someone post a link of chinese Turbo Everdrive?
>>
>>4031336
If we did that then it would get taken down faster. Gotta learn your search terms anon.
>>
Anyone have experience with this? I'm waiting for mine in the mail.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>4031446
Forgot pic
>>
>>4031447
>>4031446
They're pretty gud, only Phelios doesn't work because of older firmware, and saves for some reason don't seem to be recognized. But it's not like there a lot of RPGs on the MD.
>>
>>4027445
Good thing you asked. You're very misinformed. They are not "rolling out" FX compatibility for the SD2SNES. The UFO doesn't work the way you think it does. The only solid advice would be to do some research. Suggestions here are great but you have no way of knowing if the person offering them is any more informed than you.

>>4027469
>Chinese English
Not even that. The manual specifically says you have to use the same cart as the ROM. It's all down to younglings wishful thinking, inability to grasp the meaning of words and propensity for parroting bullshit on the internet.
Most romhacks probably wouldn't work. The problem is the FX is connected directly to RAM/ROM on the cart. The FX will potentially be using different data than the console. Minor changes to a ROM like simple cheats work fine.
>>
On a related note, are these HD Retrovision cables any good? I got a flash cart for my Genesis, but the video is just so muddy over composite...
>>
>>4031994
Yeah, they're fine if you can't do RGB. Though if you have a bunch of different consoles you might want to look into getting RGB SCART cables and one of these instead:
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220
>>
>>4032010
Any idea what consoles that'll work with without mods?
>>
>>4032034
SFC/SNES, Genesis/32X/CD, Master System, Saturn, French SECAM NESs (dont do this), PS1/2 already do component, and I'm probably missing a lot.
>>
>>4032034
Anything with native RGB output. Genesis, SNES, PS1 (and PS2, but PS2 has native component anyway), Saturn, Dreamcast, probably others. N64 doesn't support RGB natively but it's a very simple mod to add it. PCE/TG-16 is either an easy mod or literally just a cable depending on the model.
>>
>>4032048
>PS1/2 already do component
PS1 doesn't do component.
>>
>>4032056
For the PCE/TG16 you can buy ~$20 'Turbo Booster' type accesories from china for RGB and Component out of the expansion port to do it witout mods now too.
>>
>>4032048
>>4032056
>SNES, Genesis, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast

Guess I might have to go that route, then. Save some money in the long run.

Maybe I should look into RGB modding my NES, too. Don't really like messing with the old consoles too much, but it could be worth it... Wii emulation over component kind of ruined me on composite video.
>>
>>4032068
If you have a fat PS2 then you can get component PS1 through that. The standalone PS1s though, no.
>>
>>4032061
I must be thinking of PS1 games on a PS2 with component.
>>
>>4032073
>>4032076
>PSIO doesn't work with the PS2

feels bad, man
>>
>>4032063
That's what I meant by "just a cable" yeah. Some models lack the expansion port, or you might already be using the expansion port for something else, in which case you'd need to mod it. It's a straightforward mod, either way.
>>
>>4032079
Gotcha, and agreed completely.
>>
I recently got an SD2SNES and a super famicom, and its really nice, though for the price it should be. Luckily the most expensive incompatible game i want to play is Dreamland 3, which isn't too expensive for the SFC version. My only problem will probably be Super Mario RPG, if the kana is basic enough I could probably get through.
>>4032010
I've been looking into RGB even though i'd have to get a new CRT with RGB input. It doesn't list there, but how much does one of those cost when it's in stock?
>>
>>4032085
It says in the corner. They're $75.
>>
can those RGB converters take a VGA signal from a PC and convert it to component for PC emulation on a CRT television?
>>
>>4032113
Not that particular one, no. It's possible it might work with a sync combiner, since it supports 480p. VGA-to-YPbPr converters do exist, I'm just not familiar with which ones are good.
>>
>>4032092
Would my best bet for scart cables for the Super Famicom/SNES be the official ones? I looked for others but i am unsure of the build quality. Also what cables would i use to connect it from the box to the crt, is there a recommended type?
>>
>>4032132
Avoid absolute shit tier chinese garbage and you're fine. The difference between a normal and a high end cable is going to be smaller than what your television can even display. It'd literally be something you'd only see by studying the waveforms under an oscilloscope.
>>
>>4032132
>Would my best bet for scart cables for the Super Famicom/SNES be the official ones?
No, the official SFC RGB cable is JP-21, not SCART. There are a number of decent sellers out there; I got my SNES cable from thefoo.83 on eBay and my Genesis cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk and they're both great. retro_console_accessories on eBay is also commonly recommended. Just be sure to get csync cables where possible.

>Also what cables would i use to connect it from the box to the crt, is there a recommended type?
Any normal RCA cables are fine, though obviously the shorter, thicker, and better shielded they are, the better.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_112419.jpg (104KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_112419.jpg
104KB, 720x540px
What's the cheapest NES flashcart?
>>
>>4034376
if you can't afford an everdrive, the only cheaper option is a chinese multicart.
>>
>>4034551
Is there really not a flashcart that runs for $75 or less?
>>
>>4034646
Short answer is no. Long answer is that NES cartridges have a ton of different mapper chips which all have to be emulated to run the games, which requires a decently expensive FPGA. It's not like a DS or something where it's just switching between different ROM images.
>>
>>4034654
Aw fuck, I forgot about that
Honestly on one hand it'd cost the same as buying 5 lower-profile NES games in this day and age but on the other hand I only want a handful of NES games
>>
>>4034646
Super Everdrive Chinese
>>
>>4034741
Good luck fitting that in your NES.
>>
>>4028275
>>4028281
>>4031282
foxandsourgrapes.jpg

What's even funnier is that as good as every emulator on whatever platform can run games with that chip and most Super FX games are still cheap as dirt compared to most SNES games. You've got to be not only poor but also pretty dumb if you're not able to get around that.
>>
>>4034782
I got Stunt Race FX, Yoshi's Island 2, abd Star fox on cart.
Those are pretty much the only FX chip games worth having, and even then Stunt Race FX isnt really all that good. The viewport is limited and controls are so clunky it really lets down what could have been a great game.
>>
>>4034757
My bad
>>
>>4034376
Chinese EDN8 clones are ~$75-80. Multicarts with 100+ games are $5 or so. There's a new flashcart out now too, that's $60. It doesn't do SRAM and has lower compatibility than an ED, but it's cheap.
>>
>>4034795
>Yoshi's Island 2
Holy shit, you need to get that dumped ASAP! It might be the only known copy in the world!
>>
>>4034916
Haha. Good joke.
I see because I made a typo and forgot to type it as "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island"

Just remember the next main Yoshi related game was Yoshi's Story, so it might actually be a good thing Yoshi's Island 2 doesn't exist.
(Unless, of course you count the DS games as proper sequels, which just solidifies my point moreso)
>>
File: 08.jpg (17KB, 690x285px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
17KB, 690x285px
I went to the heart of gaming on wednesday in Croydon and one of the things they had were old consoles (NES, Genesis, SNES, N64) set up with Everdrives.
>>
>>4034654
A NES flash cart doesn't require the "decently expensive FPGA" the N8 uses. It's just designed that way. The more expensive part costs $15 retail. You can get it for $10 if you buy 5-10 at a time. The main reason the N8 costs what it does is because it's not mass produced. All those extra buck or twos on all those parts add up.
>>
Would the Super UFO Pro 8 be able to play translated ROMs of Super Famicom games with enhancement chips? In other words, if I bought a Japanese Super Mario RPG cartridge, would I be able to play the US version off of the SUP8 with the Japanese cart plugged in on top? If not, is there anything I could buy that would allow me to do this? I feel like this would be the cheapest way to play games that aren't compatible with the Super Everdrive/SUP8 on a console.
>>
>>4035419
it only does dsp-1 with the passthru

how is this so fucking hard for people to understand?
>>
>>4035419
That totally depends on how the SFX is used in the game and how the translation is done. If the SFX reads text from the ROM and writes it to the frame buffer you'll get the text off the cart ROM not the translated ROM. If the translators moved a lot of shit around you'll have all kinds of problems. I'm pretty sure I tried this before and it didn't work. I can double check this weekend.

>>4036154
>i don't know what the fuck i'm talking about
>how is this so fucking hard for people to understand?
People understand perfectly well that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
File: amarec20170602-222054.png (246KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amarec20170602-222054.png
246KB, 640x480px
>>4036540
yeah, i'm sure I don't know what i'm talking about

why do retards like you pretend you know anything and have to defend your honor, even on anonymous forums?
>>
File: LCD_gaming.jpg (599KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
LCD_gaming.jpg
599KB, 2592x1944px
I have an older SD2SNES revision, rev.F, and I read that some solder work needs to be done to achieve what later more recent revisions (G? H?) can with the many recent MSU-1 updates. With all the work being done on MSU-1, I am feeling a bit left behind, who do you recommend for the upgrade board installation for the older SD2SNES?
>>
>>4032175
>the shorter, thicker, and better shielded they are, the better
What is this new "chode cable" meme? Are people seriously not aware that RG179 exists and is perfectly good to carry even HD bandwidth for up to 100ft?
>>
I've got 3 flash carts so far
SD2snes, one of the mega everdrives and a DStwo for DS

Shame not everything works on sd2snes, but snes has some great rom hacks.
I pretty much love everything on the genesis.
>>
Do the Everdrives come with their own SD Cards, or do you have to buy them separately?
>>
>>4036860
Separate purchase
>>
>>4036860
The chinese ones usually include an sd card
>>
>>4036540
Alright, let me know what you find out. I'm mainly looking to use this with RPGs, since text isn't as important in games like Yoshi's Island and Starfox
>>
>>4034910

How much is that new NES flashcart? What is it called?
>>
>>4037419
It's the Kris cart or something weird, I've only seen the guy selling them on a forum I frequent.
>>
>>4036695
>i know how to load a game
>that makes my bullshit true
Top kek kid

>>4037304
Will do.
>>
>>4037304
No luck. Comes up with a screen of random characters. Some are Japanese so I assume they're coming from the chip on the cart. If you have the Japanese cart you might want to just invest a buck in adding a US ROM to it.
>>
I want to get a DS flashcart. What's my best buying option here in the USA? 3DS is also nice but I'm mostly going to use it to play emulated games and old collections and stuff so it's retro, please don't delete my post
>>
>>4038941
DS flashcart emulation is so bad though. So, so bad. Please use literally anything else. Your phone, computer, a Raspberry Pi, anything else. It will do the job so much better.
>>
>>4038941
If you just want to play GB/C games a DS flashcart will be great, everything else sucks. If you want to play DS games though, they're cheap and perfect, and newer ones work on all 3DS models too (in DS mode obviously). Just grab the cheapest R4 from peachds.com, it's where I got mine for $14 or something. It's an r4i of some kind, I haven't found a single DS game it wouldn't boot.
>>
>>4038182
Alright, thanks for trying. Most of the games with chips that I want are less text heavy, so I think I should be good with buying an Everdrive China Ver.
>>
>>4028049
Wouldn't you need Yoshi's Island or Doom to play Starfox 2?
>>
>>4040409
Yes it has to be SFX2, just ordinary SFX will not suffice.
>>
File: ifwisheswerehorses.png (78KB, 1202x320px) Image search: [Google]
ifwisheswerehorses.png
78KB, 1202x320px
>>4040409
Wouldn't it be great if someone made a perpetual motion machine to power your car so you don't have to buy gas?
>>
>>4040470
I think he's referring how Starfox only has one SFX processor and Starfox 2 needs 2.
>>
>>4040479
Star Fox 2 works with either Super FX or Super FX 2 and it certainly doesn't need 2 Super FX chips.

None of that matters because plugging in a cart to a flashcart will never let you play Super FX games, which is what I'm talking about.
>>
>>4040518
Why don't you just try it instead of parroting and posting proof that some kid on the internet said it won't?
>>
>>4042056
Do you have the slightest clue who byuu is?
>>
File: 1496181568821.jpg (27KB, 347x291px) Image search: [Google]
1496181568821.jpg
27KB, 347x291px
I'm buying a Famicom Disk System ram adapter. Should I buy the fdsstick or is there something else that's better?
>>
>>4027445
The best option for SNES is the SD2SNES. Make sure to buy from authorized resellers like krikizz, stoneagegamer, or retrotowers to get the most recent version of the board because MSU-1 development has been moving along fast. A new update was just released a couple weeks ago. Playing Chrono Trigger with CD quality audio and FMV is worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ajZEQm1_U
>>
>>4042321
I do. Doesn't change any facts kiddo.
>>
>>4042841
The only fact is that you are shitposting to shill for some Chinese scammers that lie about the capabilities of their products.

There are plenty of videos that show that it does not work that you do not believe and you are not willing to believe the second most knowledgeable person on the SNES saying it will not work. Clearly, you are either blinded by hope or willfully ignoring anything that conflicts with your preconceived notions. Why would I bother?
>>
>>4042862
>the second most knowledgeable person on the SNES
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I'm curious who you consider to be the most knowledgeable.
>>
Is it true the the insert part is fragile enough that if you take it out numerous times, it can break?
>>
>>4042329
Stick seems like the best option if you're not going with original disks.
>>
>>4034376
There's a great multicart that's been going around for $50 on eBay. It has both a battery and sram for games that save using those methods.
>>
>>4027941
SupED does support DSP, newfriend.
>>
>>4042874
anomie
>>
>>4042934
Reasonable.
>>
Is the Megadrive the only system with new completely functional ones being made this decade? All I know is some are made in South America or something, while other systems are just clones with random problems.
>>
>>4042952
Nah, PS4s and Xbones are still being produced as well.
>>
File: 1359241589272.gif (2MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
1359241589272.gif
2MB, 265x200px
>>4042772
>resellers
>krikizz
>>
>>4042862
>plenty of videos
Post a link to one
>>
Is there a list of specific Mega CD games that don't work with the Everdrive? I have a few that won't boot if the BIOS is flashed.
>>
>>4027445
Who use Everdrive on PAL console ?
I must to switch 50/60hz for NTSC games ?
>>
Alright lads, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and order a Super Everdrive; I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Slightly unrelated, but can anyone recommend a good Famiclone console? There's a store by me that has tons of cheap FC games so I wanna pick something up to play those. I'd like something that is similar to the original hardware and not just an emulator.
>>
>>4043286
no, it will just play those roms in 50hz
>>
>>4042772
>caring about the MSU
>implying there can be ‘authorized’ sellers of an open source project
>>
>>4043353
99.9999% of Famiclones are NOACs, only the Retron5 and RetroFreak are emulator ‘clones’. Yobo’s clones are quite good in my experience, the ‘FC Game Console’ was the first way I had to play FC games. You can get one for a few bucks on Amazon or eBay. Avoid HAMY stuff, their Famiclones have terrifyingly bad sound.
>>
>>4043406
So i must modify my Snes for switch in 60hz for playing NTSC rom on PAL machine ?
>>
File: Just_add_sunlight_and_air.jpg (892KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Just_add_sunlight_and_air.jpg
892KB, 2592x1944px
So, I just watched that video on the Super UFO it seems like a decent alternative in tradeoff with a bit of work:
https://youtu.be/kRQAz7uOafk

>>4042772
My SD2SNES came from China, it is an older revision as mentioned in >>4036721 earlier. I read about the additional board that can be soldered on, and I am still looking for how to get it not in bulk and/or have someone modify mine.

>>4043353
I use the Super Retro Trio, which is okay for most NES games except it fails with MMC5 games like Castlevania 3. Its colors are supposedly slightly off and the NES only outputs composite even through its S-video jack (the Gen and SNES does output S-video). I read they are going to release a HDMI version of the system soon, but this non-HDMI clone only costs $50 and serves me well. As >>4044103 mentioned, the NES portion is a NOAC.
>>
>>4044634
only if you want to play those games in 60hz
>>
Is this website legit?: https://everdrive.online/
They have a mix of non-flashcart devices, non-EverDrive flashcarts and both Krikzz official EverDrives and China EverDrives.

At least they admit that some of the EverDrives they sell are China versions in the description if they are the Classic Editions and if they are official by Krikzz, they are called the Ultimate Editions or the Deluxe Editions.

I already have many EverDrives from StoneAgeGamer but I am just curious about this website and I may consider buying from them in the future if I ever need extra EverDrives or if Krikzz does a new revision.

On one hand, l have this feeling that all of this is bullshit and that they are lying about carrying official Krikzz cartridges and that all of them are clone cartridges.
And on the other hand, they have some stuff that haven't been cloned yet like the SD2SNES, SwapMagic and EZ-Flash Redux for 3DS.
I don't know if they really carry legit EverDrives or not.

Can someone share me their stories of their experiences with this website?

In other news: Krikzz announced the EverDrive-GB X series:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6541.0
>>
>>4045025
>stuff that haven't been cloned yet like the SD2SNES
Go for it. You're too stupid to deserve your money.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.