[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age of Empires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: 330340_orig.png (898KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
330340_orig.png
898KB, 1100x618px
How does the original game hold up? After playing AoE II a lot I was considering going back to it with UPatch, which apparently does a fair deal of rebalancing on top of a lot of bugfixing.
>>
>>4026394
Eh isn't that Empire Earth in your picture? or AoE I maybe
>>
>>4026634
You need to throw yourself off a very high cliff, as soon as possible.
>>
>>4026394
I haven't played in a long time, but honestly I would skip one even if you love 2 to death. The sequel just improved upon everything. The story, balance, and amount of content all just feel better to me. Plus the user based content has to be much higher.
>>
>>4026917
AOE 1 and 2 deal with totally different historical periods, it makes no sense to say 2 makes 1 obsolete. The campaigns are cool.
>>
>>4026923
In terms of gameplay, though, he's right. Going from 2 to 1 just feels off, because 1 doesn't feel as well rounded or as balanced as 2 does.

Really disappointing since I enjoy the periods from 1 much more than 2.
>>
Playing 1 against the AI is a waste of time.
>>
>>4027032
Not if you want the historical epic but a bit more grounded than grand strategy.
>>
It's great imo, the units are a lot easier to micromanage
>>
>>4027039
It doesn't feel grounded though, the AI builds mostly gimmick units like artillery and priests.
>>
Rogan?
>>
>>4027101

Depends on faction m8. AoE2 the AI would often spam elite units as well.

In AoE1 th AI would often spam its faction specific units because they're cheaper. Like Greeks would spam hopplites and centurions. Yamato would spam cavalry and horse archers. Persians would spam war elephants, elephant archers and priests, same for Phoenicians. Egyptians would spam chariot archers and chariots and priests.
>>
>>4027110
habedakes
>>
>>4027156
Meribus!!
>>
File: average day in AoE.jpg (188KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
average day in AoE.jpg
188KB, 800x600px
>>4026394
It's fine, but you should know a few things, especially coming from AoE II.

Like villagers don't automatically start gathering resources after making a drop-off building.
On that topic there are only two drop-off buildings: Granary for berries and farms, and storage pits for everything else.

There is a population cap of 50 by default. I personally like the limitation, but there are ways of fixing this. Your on your own to figure that out cus I don't remember.

All of the tool age units do not get upgrades in the bronze age. This makes them useless, but your bronze age units make up for it.

You don't start with a scout like you do in AoE II. You can make one in the tool age, but ( like all tool age units) they don't upgrade int he next age.

If you want farms you have to build a Market first -- not a Granary like you would expect.

Speaking of farms, they do not have an option for reseeding. Sometimes leading to two villagers farming the same farm.

There are no blacksmiths. Military upgrades are found in the storage pit.

Economic upgrades are found in the Market.

Walls and towers are researched in the Granary of all places.

There are no gates.

There is no garrisoning period.

There are no formations. There is no patrolling.

Villagers will get stuck on each other in really stupid ways.
>>
>>4026394
The AI is dumb as rocks. The enemy if you're playing Single Player, and your own guys. Half the shit your villagers do automatically in AOE2, they won't do in the 1st game and the pathfinding is much worse. You'll find your villagers often just standing around idle or walking against a tree or some shit, giving up, and the just standing there idle.

It is worth a playthrough though, still fun. Just don't expect the AOE2 polish.
>>
File: 1423070040009.jpg (46KB, 578x600px) Image search: [Google]
1423070040009.jpg
46KB, 578x600px
AoE 2 is slow.
AoE was even slower.
>>
>>4026923
AoE1 is almost unplayable today.

Still, if you like the Ancient era, Age of Empires Online is the correct choice.
>>
I played it for the first time a few years ago. I found it crude and cumbersome, having grown up playing AoE2, but nevertheless I forced myself to keep playing and it eventually grew on me and I started appreciating it for it's simplicity. I could never quite go back to AoE2 afterwards, I prefer AoE1.
>>
>>4028679
That's where the 50 population limit kicks in. It makes economy and unit management trivial, even with the limitations of the game.
>>
>>4028920
How is Project Penelope coming along anyway
>>
Why is there no total conversion from AoK to AoE?
>>
>>4028931

Dis nigga gets it
>>
AoE1 for some reason is big in Vietnam, like Starcraft is in Korea
>>
>>4026634
Kys underage fag
>>
have always preferred Aoe1 and all the disadvantages that I have shown with respect to the 2nd according to me are the advantages like the men who stop when they have finished a job you are the leader and you have to know/control your men not the AI.
>>
>tfw the only HD patch has mandatory balance changes
>>
>>4030498
For AoE 1? The mod tab on UPatch's website has something to restore the old balance if you want it.
>>
>>4028920
>AoE1 is almost unplayable today.

What a pleb opinion, clearly you haven't played Dune 2.
>>
File: Villager.jpg (13KB, 67x88px) Image search: [Google]
Villager.jpg
13KB, 67x88px
BUILDAN
>>
I would just stick with 2 personally.
>>
I wish they'd remake AoE 1 with a better engine and mechanics, kind of like AoE 2.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>4032406
One of the Skybox devs said that AoE II HD has enough room on its campaign menu for five more after Rajas, and considering they probably don't have a lot of room for more civs in that game? I wonder if they would end up doing just that, an AoE I remake within AoE II or something, maybe with its own separate dataset or maybe even a merged one for some clusterfuck game mode.
>>
>>4026394
It's not worth it, AOE2 is just a lot better gameplay.
>>
Units have horrible AI, it forces you to micromanage their movement and behaviour too much. I still find it cozier than 2 though.
>>
Ibotani
>>
>>4032567
It's certainly doable. They don't really have a lot of civilizations left to implement in 2 unless they start splitting up some of the generic civs, e.g. Slavs to Poles and Russians.
>>
>>4033029
Maybe the Forgotten Empires team could pull off another expansion without a particular theme, they'd probably be grasping for options either way. But unless they jew out campaign-only packs, potential for re/demakes of other games aside they'll never fill in the five gaps.
>>
>>4033208
Maybe they'll do Oceania (Philippines, Polynesians) but those would fit better into the AoE1 roster.
If they remade AoE1 that would open room for a lot more expansions. You could have addons for Europe, Africa, Americas, South-East-Asia and Oceania.
>>
>>4033247
aoe1 remake with years -500 to +500 when?
with campaigns of alexander, hanibal, julius, augustus, mark anthony

basically a more finegrained single player, instead of just some generic roma x egypt campaign, aoe1 aoe2 were always about the multiplayer first, you can see that with the sprite reuse and even unit stats reuse
>>
>>4026923
>>4027025
>>4028920
Rise of Rome makes the game much more playable. Not sure what you guys are on about.
>>
>>4028705
says the nigga with a 30 minute castle time
>>
>>4032795

At least you can micromanage at all, unlike AoE2 where they go wild and don't listen to your commands at all
>>
>>4033894
>unlike AoE2 where they go wild and don't listen to your commands at all

>your skill in tamming has increased in 0.1% and is now 75.0%
its ok anon, villagers will obey all of your commands now
>>
>>4027110
>>4027156
>>4027404
Wololo
>>
File: mangonel shot.png (92KB, 252x230px) Image search: [Google]
mangonel shot.png
92KB, 252x230px
>>
Can anyone talk about the imbalances of the game? I've played through the campaigns before and I never really minded the limitations since I play a lot of retro games anyone. I also played it before AoE2 back in the day.

It always seemed to me that catapults were extremely overpowered compared to mangonels in the sequel. I've read as much at least. Is there any truth to this?
>>
>>4038619
All ranged units were overpowered on AoE1, and got nerfed on the sequel, with the introduction of pierce damage/armor.
>>
>>4026394
Meh, I remember just sticking with the original because I didn't like UPatch "balancing", even though original is playable only on a very low resolution (I think 800x600). It's a very old game and only worth playing multiplayer because AI teams up on human players after a while.
Ignoring the few bugs it has (most fixed in UPatch) it's a very good game. It's simplistic and not as confusing and bloated as most strategy games tend to be.

>>4038619
Yes, catapults killed structures very fast. But you can easily get rid of them with cavalry.
Hittites have overpowered ships and would kite you to death. They're cancer on sea maps.
You can get unlimited food in farms (restock, actually). It's a bug tho.
>>
>>4032567
>One of the Skybox devs said that AoE II HD has enough room on its campaign menu for five more after Rajas

Why can't they just increase the room on the campaign menu?
>>
You can run out of resources in the original, and probably will if early rush doesn't produce a clear winner.
>>
>>4040553
It's just how it's designed now that kind of imposes it. But whether they even fill up the gaps or not in the first place remains to be seen.
>>
I used to love getting Minoans and spamming archers with them.
>>
I remember playing online. I was Egyptians I think this one game, whichever civ had Scythe chariots. Hard to recall but I believe it was a 4v4, or whatever the largest game you could get was. We were losing and the entire team fell back to one corner of the map where one of us erected a wonder. We were holding with everything we had, and I started making Scythe chariots which didn't cost gold if I recall but needed wood. I was chopping down the forest we were using as a natural banner so I could make more Scythe chariots and one of my teammates yelled at me "That forest is the only thing keeping us alive, and you're cutting it down?!"
Made me laugh so hard I never forgot that game. Don't remember if we won but it was the most iconic game of AoE1 I ever played.
I have a confession. I used to send a single villager to a far away forest of the map and when I was losing I'd make a storage pit and start cutting a single line in to the trees. I'd then delete the storage camp when I got to the center and hope my opponent never found me. If any of you ever experienced this it was probably me, I am sorry.
>>
>>4040559
can't this happen in AoE2 as well?

I remember taking so long to finish a game against the AI once (just hiding behind a wall) that in the end I only won by grabbing the relics and using the gold provided to buy resources while the AI was crippled, since the map had been strip-mined worse than Nauru.
>>
>>4040602
I think he means that it's much easier to get hit by such a situation in AoE 1 than it is in AoE 2, which when you consider how its economy works, relics, and now the Portuguese Feitoria it's kinda shit, you would have to have an abnormally long game for it to happen.
>>
File: hcat.jpg (11KB, 400x107px) Image search: [Google]
hcat.jpg
11KB, 400x107px
>be a weenie
>turtle up in every match, spamming towers while playing as Babylonians or Choson
>works great unless the opponent has one of these

What's the best way to handle them? Calvary?
>>
>>4040630
Cavalry, or priests if you micromanage and avoid their shots. Generally, if they have the splash damage upgrade (forgot the name) avoid using priests because it's almost impossible to avoid mass catapult shots then.
Don't put towers next to walls and don't cluster towers, just keep 1 (tower) block of distance between them. Keeping most towers away from walls (around 5 range distance) is good since they won't get attacked by catapults unless they go near walls. This way your cavalry and priests can reach them sooner, and if they bring catapults only a few towers will get rekt.
Don't make tons of expensive cavalry. You'll burn through resources. Avoid catapult shots while your cavalry charges towards them, you can sometimes take on multiple catapults with a single scout unless you're fighting Sumerians, their catapults are overpowered.
>>
>>4040630
Catapults
>>
>>4033208
Mississippi and Woodland Cultures
>>
>>4040630

Send your villagers, they're faster than cavalry when you researched the wheel and
>>
>>4029776
I never understood this myself. When I visited back in early 2000s, it was either CS 1.3 or AOE1.

assholes would enable cheats in multiplayer so it became a race to see who typed bigdaddy faster
>>
>>4028920
>Age of Empires Online
You mean that thing that went offline years ago?
>>
>>4026394
I might get a lot of flak for this post but idgaf

Honestly this game sucks balls. All of the AOE games suck but the first is the fucking worst.

The worst thing about AOE 1 and 2 is the ridiculos pop cap that basically cripples you and makes the game extremely tiresome and frustrating.
Secondly the campaign fucking sucks and its boring as fuck.

It was the third game i played in my life right after Duke Nukem 3D and Wolfenstein 3D and i used to love it but i grew up to hate it.

/rant
>>
>>4041651
200 pop in AoE II is fine. But yes, ~75 can be tight in the AoK/AoC campaigns.
>>
>>4026394
What's the best way to play AoE2? I have the Steam HD version but the screen I'm playing on it too high res, and the UI is ridiculously small
>>
I love AoE more because of all the custom campaigns out there, including Andrea Rose's stuff
>>
AoE 1's demo campaign was the best.

http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Opening_Moves still love this scenario today. Must have spent hundreds of hours playing it as a kid. (I only had the AoE demo that came with Flight Simulator 98.)
>>
>>4042027
>AoC
UserPatch for single player, Voobly for multiplayer.
>Expansions
You're left with HD if you're tired of Huns and Mayans.

>>4041054
Look up Project Penelope.
>>
>>4033208
Next will be N.American civs for sure. Then maybe an abo/islander civ. No idea after that.
>>
>>4041651
sc1broodwars campaigns can be cool if you care for the silly story, but arent much better either, RTSs shine on matches anyway.

200 pop is fine, they probably did it to make an 4x4 game playabe in 2000s PCs, but still its fine, youre not supposed to play blackforest, make 200 villagers and after upgrading everything building 200 tarkan warriors and go out of your walls after 30min of game, you would surely come to hate it.
>>
>>4041651
oh by the way, nowadays you can play with 1.000 pop in aoe2

and its simple too, either voobly(includes userpatch) on the standalone Userpathc, you just set the 1000pop and the other person does too (if not on voobly that sync options automatically), works on multiplayer
>>
>>4042125
>Andrea Rose's stuff
i managed to find Andrea Rosa on aoe1, is this it?
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/lister.php?start=0&author=andrea%20rosa&category=&s=favs&o=d

nothing on aoe2 http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/lister.php?category=&pauthor=Andrea+Rosa&title=&search=&rating_op=%3D&rating_value=
>>
>>4040580

I enjoyed these stories anon.
>>
>>4042529
>youre not supposed to play blackforest, make 200 villagers and after upgrading everything building 200 tarkan warriors and go out of your walls after 30min of game, you would surely come to hate it.

Literally my favorite way to play the game aside from custom maps
>>
File: 1365299006621.jpg (12KB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
1365299006621.jpg
12KB, 300x315px
How the fuck do pro players take pressure so well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJpLUTbEV1E

Despite how he had a fucked start with that boar placement, the locked-in sheep, and had a overall worse economy throughout much of the game, the other guy can't finish him off. I mean yeah, it's TheViper, but still.
>>
>>4040580
shit like this is why they intoduced unit silhouetes behind trees and Spies technology in AoE2
>>
>>4044348
theviper is a bot, you know that right?
>>
>>4044430
so korean?
>>
>>4044431
Is AoE even popular in Korea? I thought they were content with whatever Blizzard shat out
>>
File: stuck.png (444KB, 553x374px) Image search: [Google]
stuck.png
444KB, 553x374px
help
>>
Seven Kingdoms was here
Age of Empires sucks
>>
>>4042597
>http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/lister.php?start=0&author=andrea%20rosa&category=&s=favs&o=d
Yeah, that's Rosa. He made some of the best AoE custom content around. Very inspiring!
>>
File: advGrid.png (1MB, 640x1000px) Image search: [Google]
advGrid.png
1MB, 640x1000px
>>4046713
>Seven Kingdoms
is that a name of some RTS total conversion into GeorgeRRMartin books? or a stanalone game not even RTS?

>>4046428
>grids
wtf, is everyone playing like this now?
did skybox do this on aoehd or was it a modder who thought it up?
voobly has a handful of them it seems, if youre gonna go full min-max this dual grid 2x2 1x1 is superior check it out
http://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/473/Advanced-Grid
or the http://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/514/Nirvana-Terrains to go full utilitarian

damn its like playing ultima online with those visual mods that replace all non-passable forest objects with a solid stone rectangle and takes away treetops on the jungles, kills half the joy
>>
>>4047207
>did skybox do this on aoehd or was it a modder who thought it up?

Still a user mod, I deliberately looked for one of the more faint-looking grids I could see. I just keep it to that and Pussywood since terrain elevation can put a spanner in the works, all those tasteless texture replacements kind of kill the aesthetic.

>2x2 grid

That sounds neat.
>>
>>4042197
for steam version?
single player is all i care about
>>
File: king sprites.png (118KB, 301x188px) Image search: [Google]
king sprites.png
118KB, 301x188px
>>4048746
Then I'd just say HD by virtue of more civs and campaigns to go through. I don't know what resolution you play at but the HUD should be usable unless you go downscaling or something.
>>
>>4048746
check some mods on voobly, Huge number, and bigger text.
at least control group numbers will be readable for you, and text.

>>4048806
>HD more campaigns
huh? you mean the campaign for the handful of new civs? not too much play hours

aok.heavengames is best bet for awesome scenarios.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.