[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: pier solar.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pier solar.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>
I liked it better when it was called LUNAR.
>>
>>4025010
is it any good?
>>
>>4025014
As far as classic JRPGs go, yeah, sure. The real main attraction is the beautiful art and music, though.
>>
>>4025014
What I'm saying is, if you're not into JRPGs anymore this ain't for you, it's pretty good but it doesn't stray from the traditional gameplay too much.
>>
>>4025014
Op here. I finished it this morning. Honestly it's not really worth it. The battles are slow as molasses because you need to gather before or else you do scratch damage. The enemies are unbalanced as fuck, have to grind from start to finish, bad labyrinthine level design, lazy and bad translation and the story falls apart in the second half. The music and art has its charms and are the only redeeming quality
>>
>>4025026
>bad labyrinthine level design,
This is a good thing, imo. Dungeons in the Playstation era ownards had literal corridor like layouts.
>>
>>4025035
It would be a good thing if the encounter rate wasn't so high, not to mention that even random mobs can kill your entire party so you spend a lot of mp healing before the next fight and the only healing spells costs a whooping 30 mp per cast. also, the developers thought it would be a good idea to chain dungeons together, one after the other
>>
>>4025047
>not to mention that even random mobs can kill your entire party so you spend a lot of mp healing before the next fight and the only healing spells costs a whooping 30 mp per cast. also, the developers thought it would be a good idea to chain dungeons together, one after the other
You mean the game actually put up a challenge like classic RPGs instead of holding your babby hands like modern games tend to do? WHAT A CRIME!
>>
>>4025060
Do you even Shin Megame Tensei?
>>
>>4025064
What do you mean?
>>
>>4025064
SMT difficulty is overrated also it's a dungeon crawler, not a JRPG, technically slightly different genres.
>>
>>4025060
No it's not a real challenge. it would be a real challenge if you could win using actual tactics but the game pretty much forces you to level grind and brute force your way like that throughout the game
>>
>>4025076
> forces you to level grind
Can't be helped, JRPGs gameplay is flawed at its core. Shoganaina.
>>
>>4025068
SMT games are challenging, but they greatly reward knowledge and skill by making encounters quite easy once you learn the enemy weaknesses and attack elements.

In those games, having to bail the dungeon is a result of the player's own failures, not that of the developer.

High encounter rates result in nothing but frustration, which is not a challenge nor is it fun.
>>
>>4025086
>once you learn the enemy weaknesses and attack elements.
Let's be frank here, most people just end up consulting the wikia rather than memorizing weaknesses. But yeah I get your point.
>>
>>4025086
This has nothing to do with healing costing too much mp or chaining dungeons together.
>>
It was developed by stupid fanboys trying to replicate what they played 20 years ago, not by professionals trying to create a good game.

Nostalgia is a mistake.
>>
File: 250px-Ffxboxart.jpg (37KB, 250x365px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ffxboxart.jpg
37KB, 250x365px
>>4025082
Of course it can, FFX can be (and has been, repeatedly) completed at the minimum level with proper knowledge of the battle system and item locations for example. FF9 can also be completed at extremely low levels, as can most JRPGs honestly. You're just shit at them.
>>
>>4025097
I wasn't even talking to you, fucknugget. I was talking to the guy who thinks that he knows how to make something difficult without going into "What the fuck were you thinking?" territory.
>>
>>4025107
FFX is so easy that you have to ridiculously cripple yourself with a low level run to get any challenge out of it. JRPGs are just shit at their core and SMT is NOT a JRPG
>>
>>4025107
Unfortunately Pier Solar doesn't have the same dedicated community of autists as Final Fantasy who try to beat it at a low level so we'll never know for sure if it can be beaten without grinding.
>>
>>4025118
>SMT is NOT a JRPG
yeah it is, you delusional fatlus drone
>>
>>4025107
>FFX can be (and has been, repeatedly) completed at the minimum level with proper knowledge of the battle system and item locations for example.
You know that has more to do with the Developers failing at balancing and leaving broken overpowered shit in the game than a testament of "skill". Speedrunning 60 hour long RPGs is retarded
>>
>>4025123
Not it's not. It has more in common with Wizardry than Dragon Quest.
>>
>>4025113
>make a dungeon that's more than a straight line corridor
>HURR THIS IS UNPOSSIBLE! DURR WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING????
AVGN, please
>>
I emulated this game ages ago on MESS, I never beat it out of boredom but honestly I don't recall having much trouble with it
In summary, quit whining and git gud
>>
>>4025026
what language was it originally written in?
>>
>>4025189
It was always in English. By "translation" he really meant to say writing.
>>
>>4025086
>but they greatly reward knowledge and skill by making encounters quite easy once you learn the enemy weaknesses and attack elements.
You mean like Pokemon?
SMT is literally Pokemon with demons.
>>
File: 1424976568708.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1424976568708.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>4025064
Oh boy, SMTfags.
>>
>>4025189
English or French other languages are translations.
>>
>>4025010
I don't know because I can't find a rom and don't wanna buy a system for one game.
>>
>>4025703
The rom is out there but the developers actually released a fake dump on the net that gets stuck before you can leave the beginning village. Fucking bastards. Also as far as I know MESS is the only emulator that supports the mapper on the cartridge.
>>
>>4025208
Pokemon is literally SMT without fusion or parites.
>>
>>4025134
I don't think you're even reading posts that respond to your shitposting.

Go on, show proof that you're a 1337 hardcore AAA gamer.
>>
>>4025717
Oh man, so deeply strategic. Surely Pokemon is the quintessence of RPG tactical gameplay.
>>
>>4025719
Whoa man, you people bitched when Final Fantasy XIII had corridors for dungeons now you're bitching dungeons in Pier Solar is too labyrinthine? Fuck you, you don't know what you want.
>>
>>4025703
You can get it at planetemu, it's a french emulation site but they have the rom in english, french, spanish, japanese and german
>>
>>4025729
Good, now anyone can finally play it and realize it's actually easy as fuck.
>>
It is really slow. Both in pace and slowdown. Feels like the Genesis is about to lock up constantly. The gameplay gimmick isn't that fun, either.

I appreciate the effort, but I'd rather just replay a Phantasy Star game or Lunar 2.
>>
>>4025014
It's ok. A lot of the hype it gets just comes from the fact that it's a homebrew and for the longest time it couldn't even be ran on an emulator. As far as Genesis homebrew games go it's one of the best but that's not really saying much when most of your competition is shit like Papi Commando and Sacred Line.
>>
>>4025129
If an RPG is made in Japan, it's a JRPG. Thus, SMT is a JRPG.
>>
>>4026052
Well Pier Solar was made in the west but that won't stop it from being a Lunar ripoff and therefore, JRPG.
>>
>>4025129
Dragon Quest literally started out as a streamlined combination of Wizardry and Ultima for consoles.
>>
>>4026059
When you put it that way I can see why someone would argue SMT doesn't count as a JRPG.

I was taking the terms at face value, but I suppose there's no harm in questioning this kind of thing.

Which SMT are we talking about, incidentally? There's a lot of them and they don't all play the same.
>>
>>4026061
>Wizardry
Why do people say that? It's really nothing like Wizardry and Ultima 1 had the first person dungeons too.
>>
>>4026072
The director was inspired from time he spent playing Wizardry and Ultima in his office or something
>>
>>4026076
Apparently he got everything that made these games good wrong.
>>
>>4026072
Because the overworld sections are more like Ultima while the combat sections are more like Wizardry.
>>
>>4025708
There is no 'fake' dump, only incomplete ones (because the game had undefeated copy protection for a long time) or inaccurate emulators that fail at emulating the mapper 100% correctly and hangs sooner or later.

Only emulators that manage to get it right are MESS and Genesis Plus GX (available through Retroarch or Bizhawk) but only the latter was confirmed to let you finish the game without issues since nobody is masochist enough to use MESS more than a couple of minutes.
>>
>>4026083
Another way to look at it is that he successfully took the idea of those games and made one that appealed to Japanese gaming tastes. Given that DQ globally ended up as popular as it is I'd say he did a good job of it.
>>
>>4025126
>Developers failing at balancing
No sphere grid run is possible BECAUSE it is so well balanced. Yes, the stock game is a hallway that isn't terribly challenging, but NSG runs and the battle arena are whole different matters. You really have to understand the battle system, understand enemy patterns, and have a good strategy. CTB >> ATB.
>>
>>4026083
>everything that made these games good
nothing?
>>
MAZES MAZES MAZES EVERYTHING IS A MAZE EVEN THE TOWNS

WANT TO GO BACK ON THE OVERWORLD? WELL TOO BAD, YOU'LL HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS MAZE AGAIN

GATHER GATHER SNORE SNORE

Quit somewhere in the desert maze, what a bore.
>>
>>4028628
Shame all that gameplay is ruined by 20 hours of unskippable cutscenes. I watch a speedrun and it was 20 hours long.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.