[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are reproduction carts the future?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: repo.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
repo.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
i've noticed these things more and more in local game stores and i was wondering what /vr/ thought about them. as a collector i've been on the fence about them for a long time but i've recently decided i like them and i think they're good for the market. i think bootlegs can be cool to collect too.

what are your thoughts?
>>
>>4023178
>i think bootlegs can be cool to collect too.
Completely. Fucking. Pointless.
>>
>>4023178
>get this
>have more NES action than i know what to do with
Thank u based chink gods
The future is awesome
>>
File: 1494014179437.jpg (91KB, 952x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494014179437.jpg
91KB, 952x720px
>>4023178
I think conceptually they're a neat idea. Like maybe I wanna play a really expensive or rare game, but don't want to emulate or use an everdrive (which I think is sort of emulation as well, right?), so a repro cart would be a good option

of course in actuality the quality is usually complete shit and anything more complex than simple launch shit is essentially a one-trick everdrive and the PCBs are always so wide I might as well jab the fucking cart slot with a screwdriver

also I get a little upset about how often I see them sold as the real thing
>>
>>4023178
Repros are useless in the age of everdrives. The only repros I can see being useful are for games that utilize the superFX chip on the super nintendo, other than that, I see no reason to get one.
>>
>>4023178
I sure do hope so.
If you're a collector and want the real thing for whatever reason, good, you be careful and complete your collection.
If you want to play a game just because you wanna play it, then get a cheaper reproduction and enjoy it.
Also consider what they've been doing in aliexpress and other chinese places, getting translated games and selling them as cartridges. If this keeps up and people show interest, they might release more and more translated games in carts. Maybe even encourage more people to translate newer games.
>>
No. They're pointless to collectors and they're equally pointless for anyone with a flashcart/emulator. It's for tricking pseudo-nerds out of their money.
>>
>>4023239
Flashcarts aren't even remotely like emulation anon. It's basically like creating your own multi-game cart using SD storage. The ROMs are read and run just like the real deal.
>>
>>4023283
I doubt many people want to release free translation patches just so some bootleggers in China and eBay resellers can profit from their work.
>>
>>4023294
People are even retarded enough to pay good money for a repro of a rare game
Someone said he paid 60$ for lil samsom repro
>>
File: tumblr_oqb83nQFt51vl141wo1_540.png (415KB, 540x537px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqb83nQFt51vl141wo1_540.png
415KB, 540x537px
>>4023298
no fuck u flash carts a shit
secretly I fear and loathe flash carts because I feel like they make my own original carts a plastic waste of space and my desire to buy them a retarded money wasting instinct
I'm much more likely to sit through and really enjoy a game when it's the real cart that I've bought, but I still feel like the dude paying for gym membership to just do bodyweight exercises
>>
>>4023331
Use flash carts to test out games, then buy a real cart when if you like it.
>>
>>4023331
I collect for certain systems but I can't justify it for others. Paper Mario alone runs for about half the cost of an Everdrive.
>>
As a collectorfag, I'd much rather have an Everdrive than repros of games that I could own. Now, in the case of import repros, like the translation-patched Mother 3 carts that you see so commonly? I think they serve a neat purpose but it's still one a flashcart can serve. I'd buy that sort of repro, but not one of say, Earthbound. If I didn't want to pay the stupid price of EB, I'd emulate or buy a flashcart.
>>
>>4023178
>>4023215
Growing up in Chile we had something like an "official" Nes bootleg; that is to say fucking a lot of people had the same console; this wonder had like 150 built in games in it's memore, a bunch were ports from Atari games but there were mostly Nes games. The real Nes console and games were way to expensive for the people in my social bracket so you'd rent games on the weekend or go and buy used or Chinese/Japanese bootleg games.
A whole generation of Chileans (and I suspect Latin American) have always welcomed and praised bootleggers otherwise we wouldn't have known the joys of old gaming.
>>
>>4023374
Shitskin faggots, you're not enjoying gaming, you're KILLING THE INDUSTRY. Pay for your fucking products like everyone else.
>>
>>4023392
A lot of us did pay for them because they had the means to do so, when you don't you use alternatives, don't get mad anon
>>
Brasilians grew up with a NES clone called Dynavision. Nintendo never released the nes officially until 1993. Same thing with atari. We had multicarts made by Dactar and other third party names. Master System and every sega system was officialy made by Tectoy.
Genuine is a relative thing.
Collecting is a relative thing.
There are tons of versions and releases for every official game.
I see no problem in collecting repros. Genuine retro games are fuckin expensive and not everybody can afford the whole salary in it
If you think flashcards are the best way. Great. Go on.
Personally i think it kills the magic of collecting.
Even when its a rom hack. Its like having a whole new cartridge from the past. Sometimes the work is so great like the translated final fantasy 2 for the nes (with the unreleased label art and all that "realistic" look they tried to make back then )
Its all about nostalgia
I try to collect repros when they are different from the original release so when I get the opportunity to get the genuine game it wont be repetition. But if theres no way and the genuine is fucking R$1000 i say fuck that. Give me that repro
>>
>>4023279
> The only repros I can see being useful are for games that utilize the superFX chip on the super nintendo
Have Chinese bootleggers figured out how to make FX clones yet?
>>
>>4023178
No, repo carts are pointless.

If you want to play a game never released in your country you do one of these three things.
>import it if you are more of a collector
>get a flash cart
>emulate it
Flashcarts are nothing but wastes of money that people use to scam newbies. There is no reason to pay some ass to put a rom on a cart when you easily buy a flash cart for a little less then double the price of a repo cart. Even worse are people who make repos of games actually released in their country, those people are the scum of the earth.
>>
I think that $5 repros are pretty neat as a cheaper alternative to a flashcart and since the cheapest ones are always Asian style carts I don't even begin to feel like they're a threat to the value of my collection. I did see some ass selling SNES repros as legit on Facebook, linking to his ebay auctions with tons of negative feedback but people still paying $40 a pop. I didn't think that was very cool.

If it gets really bad I'll cash out my game collection to fill out my console collection.
>>
>>4023178
Yes because fuck spending 300+ on a legit cart when I could get a flashcart with patches and better gameplay for 35
>>
>>4023178
For me personally, I don't see a point anymore.

I have a few, but if you start looking at the logistics, it's just not worth it.

Get a flash cart. I'm at a point where I'm not going to actively buy too many more games and will start slowly letting go of games I have no desire to play again, and invest in flash carts.

They let you play the vast majority of NA, PAL, and JP releases. You can patch the roms, and play the JP only games like Final Fantasy 2 and 3, with english translation patches. You can play shit like Little Samson, and Mr. Gimmick without paying 600-1000 dollars. I stopped following the prices.
>>
>>4023178
>is calling bootlegs repros the future?
Must be. They were called bootlegs for past decades. kek

>>4023192
Nah. As long as it's done in good fun and you don't spend more than a buck a cart it's great. I have a ton of bootlegs. Some of them are pure comedy gold. Some are actually useful. Some NGP multi carts were actually flash carts that the original fashmasta is a clone of. Paying a buck 10 years ago vs paying $80 last year is anything but pointless.
>>
>>4023178
Why do we keep having this thread? Bootlegs are bootlegs and they're fucking annoying on both the collecting and the selling side because you have to open up everything now to see if it's been tampered with.

Actual reproductions of games that didn't get released in a particular region (Sweet Home) or never got released at all (Star Fox 2) can be fun as long as real work was put into them but if I'm going to cheap out on something then I might as well buy an official release of the same game on a different platform or as a digital download so I don't have to worry about the game failing.
>>
>>4023552
>Flashcarts are nothing but wastes of money
I think you mean "repros".
>>
>>4023215
Quality multicart. Some of the games are PAL or Japanese versions, but getting several rare and expensive games plus Recca is worth it.
>>
>>4023937
Fuck, yeah.
>>
>>4023392
Playing bootlegs as kids allowed us to become gamers in the first place which is what makes us buy new consoles and games now that we can.
>>
I used to think they were cool when I first got into collecting.
Now I see them for the cancer that they are.
>>
If repros don't have any issues that the original game didn't and they cost less, I don't see any problem.

It's pirating plus accuracy.

Great combo!
>>
>>4023215
Been looking to buy one of these, but the lack of Castlevania 3 has triggered my autism to the point where I'm legitmately torn between getting this $30 cart or a ~$80 flashcart.
>>
>>4024376
Get it. I demand it. Post pics. You have 0 hours.
>>
>>4024376
Castlevania 3 carts aren't that expensive.
>>
>>4023392
I hate brown people as much as the next guy, but dont be retarded anon
>>
>>4023178
Making money with other peoples work is the most ugly thing. If i ever met a reproducer i will punch him until he stops moving.
>>
>>4023178
I'm not a collector, so it doesn't really bother me at all. I like the original consoles, for nostalgia but otherwise I just enjoy playing older games. Almost everything I own, is stuff I bought back when it was new, with the exception of my NES games which I purchased quite a few back in the earlier 2000s when it was inexpensive.

As to not leave bad mojo with the collectors on this site, when I see pictures of a well thought out retro room, with shelves of games I think it looks absolutely amazing. I can definitely see the appeal of having the real thing, but it is way out of my league both financially and due to constraints in space.

A flashcart is perfect for me, it is inexpensive, and does not take much space.
>>
>>4023938
If some are PAL will they even play on my usa nintendo
>>
I'm a collector but I do have two repro carts: Hagane on SNES and Musha on Genesis. Most games I want to play/buy are priced within reason. I don't mind paying ~100 for a game but when it gets to 300+ I just can't justify it.
>>
>>4023215
>NES
>not just getting a real famicom
>>
>>4024582
You'd better be a communist if you don't believe in making money off of other people's work; it's the basis of capitalism
>>
>>4023178
buy a flashcart, save your money
repro is a synonym for bootleg

only repros even worth considering are of unreleased or homebrew stuff, but again, get a flashcart and save your money
>>
A grey area is Neo Geo conversions. A converted Metal Slug has the same chips and SNK boards as the real thing, but costs thousands less. A few pieces of paper are copied for the insert and label, and that paper is what a Neo Geo AES collector pays like $5000 for, along with it being "original".

OTOH, nearly perfect bootleg copies of entire Neo carts are now being made too.
>>
>>4025169
>are now being made
You mean, always existed. Neo Geo was the king of pirates in third world countries.
>>
>>4024959
No thanks
Ill stick to my toaster because im a real murican
>>
>>4025172
Not MVS, but AES carts (shell, pcb, everything). Not many $600 new AES home systems in places like Brazil, but yeah the MVS arcade system is big in the third world so lots of carts with EPROMS.
>>
If it is a repro of a $50+ meme game like Earthbound? Sure, why not.
>>
>>4025250
you could play that on virtual console for like 6 dollars, or emulate for free
>>
With the money you'd spend on a repro you could easily buy a Flashcart. IT MAKES NO SENSE!
>>
>>4024898
Yeah, the speed will just be off.
>>
>>4023531
Not that I know. Even copiers still don't support SuperFX games
>>
Just fucking get an adaptor to load SD Cards/USB Sticks
>>
>>4025557
Its not even really worth..
SuperFX games arent good
>inb4 yoshis island
>>
File: LCD_gaming.jpg (599KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
LCD_gaming.jpg
599KB, 2592x1944px
The official companies no longer focus on their past devices, not many serves this niche market. The supply of official stuff is only diminishing, and there is still demand. Understandably, some would want the real thing, and it is pretty bad for one to get ripped off if they unknowingly purchased a repro if they expected an authentic article.

I have fun with my bootleg setup since I cannot afford the classic games, but I don't think anyone would consider collecting bootlegs. I do want to get a Starfox 2 cartridge though, but they are asking around $60USD which is well beyond the $5USD I can afford.
>>
>>4023392

They didn't have the money or access to be able to get the games so they bought cheap bootlegs. Whoop de fucking doo /pol. Kys
>>
>>4023279
Everdrives are useless now with emulators
>>
>>4025752
Does it make sense to even play with Everdrives through a multi-console? I thought those third party consoles are laggy and unreliable. I do understand getting flashcarts.
>>
>>4025752
Anon what the fuck is that Mega Drive cart? Also you would have been able to afford other things if you didn't buy shit like the framemeister or the sd2snes
>>
Not a fan, just makes the secondary market messy. Just get a flashcart or emulate if you don't want the original piece.
>>
>>4023178
They're illegal and I will report anyone who sells these to the police.
>>
>>4023316
>Someone said he paid 60$ for lil samsom repro
That's fucking nothing m8.

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3568975
>>
>>4026725
How can you get ripped off when the perfect Hagane sticker isn't even stuck on completely
>>
>defending the worst kind of piracy and copyright breach

if you're too proud to download a romset then don't pretend to play the real thing by buying a glorified bootleg
>>
>>4023215
Family Game, wn
>>
File: Arr_matey.jpg (476KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Arr_matey.jpg
476KB, 2592x1944px
>>4026084
They work as expected. I do not expect much from the clone console, it was cheap and serves its purpose as my bootleg machine.

>>4026340
It is a bootleg Genesis flash drive when I decided to try out purchasing from China. They gave a microSD containing plenty of ROMs with it for $30USD shipped, so I thought it would be worth a try until the Everdrive X7 gets back in stock.

Also I already had the framemeister, I saved up $170-so for it, took me a while but it was worth it to me as I get a lot of use from it.
>>
>>4026716
They'll call your mom and tell her you're off your meds again
>>
>>4025967
have fun running overdrive II on your emu
>>
OP here, good thread guys. personally i can't be bothered or care to emulate so bootlegs are pretty convenient. also the best game store by far within a 2 hour radius of where i live sells them so i see it as a way to support this store i absolutely adore. to me i don't think its any different than a record collector in the 70s buying bootleg records from the "import" section

i think it also helps "clean up" shelves at stores seeing as how you generally need a sacrificial cart to make one of these. could we be heading for a future where sports games are the new rarity?

i think the only people this hurts are buyers who get tricked into buying a repro for big bucks when they thought they were getting the real deal. people who do that are obviously scum and need to be dealt with swiftly. also autistic collectors might be phased by this kind of thing but at least they have the experience to know better.

depending where these go i 100% do believe there could be a collectors market for bootlegs, i guess time will tell though,
>>
>>4027291
>personally i can't be bothered or care to emulate so bootlegs are pretty convenient.

How exactly is taking two seconds to load a rom on snes9x less convenient than paying $30 and then waiting days for a bootleg copy of a game to arrive in the mail?
>>
>>4027508
Because DUDE REAL HARDWARE LMAO
only turbo spuds emulate
>>
>>4027508
>paying $30
Mega Drive and SNES repros are like 4-10 now with free shipping from china land
>>
>>4027521
Ok but even so how is that more convenient than something that's free and quicker to obtain? I'm alright if you got a preference of one over the other I'm just wondering how in the fuck it could be more convenient.
>>
>>4027530
I'm not arguing for convenience, I'm a different anon. I was just updating you on prices. I only own a couple cheap repros myself. I have a dedicated CRT emulation setup because, as you said, it is more convenient.
>>
>>4027530
You'll find out when you turn 18, kid.
>>
>>4027537
So you don't actually have an answer.
>>
>>4027508
His dad didn't setup snes9x for him and spend days on the intarwebs looking for the best filter settings.
>>
>>4027291
>to me i don't think its any different than a record collector in the 70s buying bootleg records from the "import" section
As a music guy I've never understood why some people have a strange obsession with everything being official and having no bootlegs. Bootlegs can be weird and wonderful or they can be an almost-as-good-as-the-real-thing substitute for a fraction of the money.
>>
>>4028968
Because if you own pirated copies in your collection you won't be able to show off to everyone online how cool a human being you are!
>>
>>4026716
>Hello, police? I'd like to report someone selling a bootleg video game for 5 bucks.
>Hahaha, alright kid. We'll "look" into it. Thanks for your call.
>>
Not exactly repro related but what do you guys think of replacement cart labels? Does it ruin the value of an original game? Is it frowned upon?

I got some games with fucked up labels but I'm not sure if I should even try to replace them.
>>
>>4023215
is there a rom for this multicart?
>>
>>4030590
>the future
no

>viable alternative
yes

And I don't want to hear any of that "hurr durr just buy a fleshcart you dolt", I like my repros and bootlegs. Get off my back.
I don't need to get a flashcart to get the whole NES library on it. There's only like 50 games worth owning. I prefer them to have their own identity, even if it's a misfit clone or whatever.
>>
>>4030646

never mind the
>>4030590

I wasn't replying to you
>>
>>4028968
well technically you're stealing from the artist, but still its a window into their world that they otherwise weren't going to release anyway.

i don't feel bad about pirating retro games though because all the nips who slaved for long hours and were underpaid died in front of their computer 25 years ago.
>>
>>4030587
based completely off of pawn stars it would appear original is always better and if you try and refurbish anything the value goes down. personally i think if you do a good job then you're doing a service to the world, i hate seeing some busted up torn sorry label on games, i never buy em.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.