[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have severe anxiety about the idea of collecting...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: reagan-86.jpg (129KB, 660x453px) Image search: [Google]
reagan-86.jpg
129KB, 660x453px
...but I can also appreciate the idea of playing on real hardware, and have several consoles.

Can you please offer any advice?

(ps, I'm poor and have a SEGA and every sony systems)

Thank you in advance!
>>
I have been emulating for years, but we all know that's lame
>>
Everdrive. Problem solved.
>>
Is that easier that psp emulation?

I have set up a gba flashcart before, but I am also very stupid.
>>
also, thank you, and please god, forgive me and destroy this thread
>>
>>4022427
seconded
>>
you know the games you like? buy those
>>
I would, but I'm a bit of a hipster, so some of my favorite games are getting expensive. I am also not the breadwinner of my household.
>>
also, the everdrive advice was noted and appreciated!
>>
look into wii softmodding also, there's tutorials on youtube
>>
Just use USB mods and shit
>>
Just emulate and worry about collecting later when you have a career faget
>>
Real hardware, but get a flash cart. It's the best of both worlds.
>>
Chinese Everdrive for Mega Drive: $40
PS2 softmod: Free (but not for stupids) or $10 for a preinstalled memory card on eBay + blank discs
>>
>>4022462
>I am also not the breadwinner of my household.

Worthless fucking loser.
>>
>>4022856
What? Why? Not every family requires multiple incomes. I also just wanted to explain why I am not comfortable spending much.

Thank you to everyone else who responded. I am looking into these options.

I have purchased a freemacboot memory card and I'm excited.

A friend of mine has a wii that they no longer want, so if I can save up enough, I might buy it and look into softmodding it.
>>
>>4022423
>I have severe anxiety because I'm poor
First problem can be solved by meds, second by money.
>>
>>4024082
I don't literally have severe anxiety. I am very apprehensive about the idea of collecting because I find it very appealing but don't, and won't have exorbitant money to spend on non-essentials. I also like to try to save what extra I get.

I have enough money to get a game every now and then, and I am far from starving, but some games I like are getting pretty expensive.

Also, my partner likes to encourage me to buy games because they like them too, but it isn't a very good choice financially. We both also tend to get pretty absorbed into our hobbies, so I worry that if we start hunting anything rare, we might get hooked. I;ve always heard about how addicting collecting can be.

I figured since a lot of people here are probably collectors, they might have felt something similar and would maybe have some tips.

As it turns out, they did.

So, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

Other than that, I can't imagine how I managed to upset you.
>>
>>4024119
>i lied, er, exaggerated because i'm a drama queen
>a literal figurative queen
>and triggered
lel
>>
>>4024554

Point taken. I'm sorry.

I didn't think I was being dramatic, but I can see now that I was.

I'll consider this when I post in the future.
>>
My tip for you is that you're several years late to the party when it comes to being able to find deals. Pretty much everyone knows what they have now and knows what people will pay. Sometimes you'll be lucky and get something for under market value, but you can't rely on that. Game collecting means being persistent and being willing to spend whatever disposable income you have budgeted out for yourself.

It's not for everyone and probably isn't for you if you're saying how poor you are. If you want to play games on the original hardware and are poor, your best option is to save up for a flash cart that will play the vast majority of the games you want to play.

Failing that, there's always emulation. Don't drive yourself into the poorhouse because of video games, it's not worth it. Nothing is.
>>
>>4026717

Thank you for this. It makes a lot of sense. I think I will set my sights on getting an Everdrive, which seems just right for me.
>>
File: Raddest Kid in the World.jpg (79KB, 550x542px) Image search: [Google]
Raddest Kid in the World.jpg
79KB, 550x542px
>>4026732
That's good to hear. There's no shame in owning a flash cart and for some systems it's actually the smartest option. The N64 for instance benefits greatly from it since buying carts of 3-4 popular N64 games will put you to the price of a flash cart by itself.

You just have to keep in mind that some flash carts for some systems aren't compatible with all of the games for that system (like SNES). N64 v3 Everdrive has 100% compatibility with all official games and I believe the Genesis flash carts are in a similar situation.

Really it all comes down to the love of the games. Owning a cart of a game you love is all well and good, but at the end of the day it's still just a wafer of silicon with chips encased in plastic. There are more important things in the world than that.
>>
File: TheKickMaster.jpg (181KB, 800x719px) Image search: [Google]
TheKickMaster.jpg
181KB, 800x719px
>>4026792
Hell yeah dude! Thanks for being so generous with your time and advice.
>>
>>4026824
It's the least I could do. Hobbies are wonderful things to have, but you never want to ruin your life because of them.
>>
>>4026792
The only game ROM I'm aware of that doesn't work on the Genesis Everdrive is Virtua Racing.

It'll also play 32X games (with the 32X attached obviously).
>>
>>4026851
I thought that the latest Genesis Everdrives supported the SVP? Guess not. It's not too pricey of a game either way and if you have an Everdrive it won't break the bank to pick up one additional cart to be able to play the entire Genesis library on real hardware.
>>
Everdrive/burning discs?

I like playing on original hardware too but don't particularly want to seek out games. Thank god for the Dreamcast's shit copy protection.
>>
>>4026792
>N64 v3 Everdrive has 100% compatibility
No. But close enough for kindernet advice.
>>
>>4022423
Do what other re-sellers are doing, go around your town or city, look for good deals on games, sell them on ebay for an outrageous sum of money, of which somebody who has a better job and lacks the time to find his own stuff locally will buy, and start your collection.

Might as well play the system, instead of it playing you in your particular scenario. You are poor, you probably don’t work very much, so you have the time. If you are really interested in retro systems, this could work out for you.

Best of luck
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.