[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Tomb Raider?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 30

File: 2545720-2186331168-26569.jpg (127KB, 1404x1090px) Image search: [Google]
2545720-2186331168-26569.jpg
127KB, 1404x1090px
How do I get into Tomb Raider?
>>
1 is a timeless masterpiece, the rest has aged like shit
>>
>>4020453
By playing Tomb Raider.
>>
>>4020453
Boot the game, shoot the bears and mummies.
>>
>>4020453

By her a drink first
>>
>>4020459
Funny considering IV is the best one in the series
>>
File: dj-paul.jpg (160KB, 2000x1744px) Image search: [Google]
dj-paul.jpg
160KB, 2000x1744px
>>4020459
>>4020474
>>
>>4020453
>How do I get into Tomb Raider?
By watching the first movie then playing TR1, 2 and 3.
>>
>>4020453
By playing the first, the second and Revelations (the best)

3 and Chronicles are total SHIT
>>
>>4020453
by playing the first four games
>>
Reminder that the creator of Tomb Raider left after Tomb Raider 1.
>>
>>4020453
>>4020453

Tomb Raider 1 is a perfect place to start. 2 is the perfect Tomb raider and one of the most accomplished games of all time.
>>
>>4020576
2 is a huge disappointment made of awful gunfights, uninspired level design and unlimited save states that lead to a boring die and retry gameplay. i couldn't even finish that shit
>>
File: Tomb_raider_anniversary.jpg (32KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_raider_anniversary.jpg
32KB, 853x480px
>>4020453
I will probably cause a small shitstorm, but I'd recommend to start with anniversary, that's how I get into.
You will probably be frustrated if you just jump right into the classics, they are very different to modern games.
>>
>>4020459
What do you mean? 1 through 5 are virtually identical in terms of gameplay

>>4020576
I disagree about TR2. While a very good game (which I'm actually replaying) I disliked the fact that the vast majority of the game was spent in modern/artificial environments. You start out in a very promising first level but then you're stuck in Venice->the aquatic base->the sunken ship, all the while killing armed thugs. It's a long time before you get to another natural environment to face off against nature. That is what I really like about the first game, the feeling of solitude and wonder of exploring natural places and long lost cities.
>>
>>4020453
I know this is almost a stock reply, but consider playing them in order. The first TR is the perfect entry point in my opinion, it perfectly sets up the mood and style of the series. If you're playing on PC check out Peixoto's mod, it allows for higher resolutions with proper aspect ratio, controllers with xinput and a lot of other cool shit.
>>
While we are on the tr subject.

I recentky heard about the level editor, that was bundle with m'y chronicles cd, but remained overlooked.

Is there a modding place where i could get some levels ?
>>
>>4020715
trle.net
>>
>>4020453
Play the first game. On disc or digitally on PC is best, as long as your D-pad doesn't suck shit. On disc on PS1/2/3, digitally on PS3, or the PS version emulated on PC is fine.
Play Lara's Home before starting a new game to learn the different jumps and other manoeuvrers. Consult the manual/Internet to make sure you understand your movelist.

General tips.:
Have patience, enjoy the methodical platforming, and don't rush until you've gotten gud. Unless you get barged off a platform or into traps by an enemy, deaths are the player's fault.
Take your time, soak in the atmosphere, and explore areas for secrets, but don't stress about missing any.
Don't be afraid to use ammo, but stick to the pistols against easy enemies, and when you're shooting from a safe perch.
Keep your distance from melee attackers and guys with flamethrowers by backstepping and jumping around. Get in close to guys with guns and exploit their slow turning and aiming by rolling behind them. Keep your distance from projectile throwing enemies and jump from side-to-side.
>>
Thanks for the help friends!
>>
So for the original game what's the differences between versions 1.0 - 1.6? Just demos and stuff?
>>
>>4020518
what's wrong with 3?
>>
>>4021507
Not him, but it's full of instant death trial and error stuff.
>>
>>4020576
I agree.

>>4020652
Tomb Raider 1 has enough die-and-retry itself. It's not like the game punishes you for dying excessively there either. All you do is go back to the last save state.

And let's ALSO not forget that the PC versions never rolled with the limited save states crap. Unless you have limited continues or have to restart the level, the save states add nothing to the game mechanics.

>>4020698

At least you didn't say "lol but you don't even raid tombs in 2." Which is bullshit.

Tomb Raider 1 had all of 2 tombs. That was fucking it. It was also the first in the series and therefore contained all the campy, cliché locations you would want in the first entry. Egyptian pyramids, ancient Greek cities, caverns and tunnels. And Atlantis.

Tomb Raider 2 isn't that different. It's just that you're up against a bigger enemy this time - an entire cult. You don't go to Venice because they didn't have any better locations but because that's what the story demanded.

Also, exploring the abandoned shit was way cooler than any of the generic played-out ancient locations of 1. It felt like it could be a real place as opposed to St. Francis's Folly, which has more ridiculous traps and architecture.

The Ice Palace levels were also pretty cool and had a more Asian touch. Not everything has to be set in Egypt, Greece or Rome to be considered a proper Tomb Raider setting.

And about the thugs: What was Natla doing most of the time? Isn't she the head of a large corporation? Why isn't she sending more goons after Lara? Could she only afford the token black guy, the ridiculous cowboy and skateboard man-child mac10? At least Pierre was there to scare the fuck out of you with surprise appearances. Although it was ridiculous that you could shoot him a million times in Colosseum before he magically disappeared again.
>>
>>4020453
start by getting into fapping to polygon tits.
>>
Why did they remove Lara's remark when she pick up items?
>>
>>4020453
There's an entrance in the front and another in the back.
>>
Start with the original on Playstation but if it's too hard for you to make it from crystal to crystal play the PC version that lets you save anywhere.

Realize that Tomb Raider is more like a physics based puzzle game than an action game or 3D platformer. Go slow and look before you leap, often literally but also when approaching combat.

I think St Francis's Folly was the first time I actually enjoyed getting vertigo from a video game and now I hop around it like it's home. Mario 64 on the other hand still gives me a sinking feeling to this day.
>>
>>4020453
Just play a tank simulator.
>>
>>4024526
fuck you for even SUGGESTING that
>>
File: header.jpg (36KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
36KB, 460x215px
My first Tomb Raider game was Angel of Darkness. I thought it was awful, made me angry to play
>>
>>4020453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T655Al-YgAs
With promo stuff.
>>
File: 1492140638921.jpg (458KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492140638921.jpg
458KB, 1920x1080px
Play the first and then only play the rest if you REALLY liked the parts where you shoot stuff and not explore. Also if you felt the formula could be improved by awful vehicle sections.

I liked the series as a whole but it did go downhill after the first game. Not too downhill not to be enjoyable though
>>
File: 1492978505396.png (4KB, 224x217px) Image search: [Google]
1492978505396.png
4KB, 224x217px
>>4024551
>>4025953
>>
File: Tomb Raider AoD - artwork 191.jpg (171KB, 626x894px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb Raider AoD - artwork 191.jpg
171KB, 626x894px
>>4024551
Haven't played it yet, but it can't be that bad.
>>
>>4020652
>save states
My first time playing it I thought there were save crystals hidden somewhere. I kept dying around the part in China where you hop off the zipline and got fucked by tigers and had to start all over.

>uninspired level design
Nah, fuck you dude.
>>
Is there a place on the internet where I can discuss how perfect Lara is? This thread seems to slow for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPymfGOLyEI
>>
File: pinup-lara[1].jpg (136KB, 400x555px) Image search: [Google]
pinup-lara[1].jpg
136KB, 400x555px
I had this as a poster from a video game magazine. It had a kissing mouth with "Love, Lara" on it.
>>
File: tomb_4_grande.jpg (39KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomb_4_grande.jpg
39KB, 436x600px
>>4027304
Like this one?
>>
>>4027316
>>4027304
>>4027297
I miss old Lara.

>We went from a sexy, cocky, and athletically skilled woman to an average, pussy-whipped teenager that cries at every given moment when she isn't getting her ass kicked by local flora
>>
>>4027329
I like the actual design of nuLara. The personality sucks, but the design is good.
>>
File: legend Lara.jpg (254KB, 1995x2813px) Image search: [Google]
legend Lara.jpg
254KB, 1995x2813px
>>4027383
She has good design, but bad Lara design. Why can't we have something like LAU design but with more polygons and better animations?
>>
>>4027383
She looks absurdly bland not to mention weird like she's a mestizo
>>
>>4024551
you played the shit one in the series m8 lol
>>
Apparently Lara Croft is based on Toby Gard's sister. That's what he said at least, but it was unintentional.

Can't find pictures of her though
>>
File: kek.png (577KB, 643x647px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
577KB, 643x647px
>>4028693
>but it was unintentional
>>
>>4020453
dont. it fucking sucks. TR2013 definitive edition is great. inb4 autism. the original tomb raider games were never good, even at release.
>>
File: larabang.gif (716KB, 500x234px) Image search: [Google]
larabang.gif
716KB, 500x234px
>>4028724
How did they become popular then?
>>
>>4029325
see
>>4027304
>>
>>4020459
he's right. The first one is AMAZING. the 2cd one is so overrated
>>
>>4029387
that's fucking marketing, that doesn't sell a game just like prositutes aren't millionarres.
>>
Perfect, a Tomb Raider thread. I got the collection of the first three on GoG, used nGlide to increase the resolution, used JoytoKey to get a controller working, and it all worked perfectly. I tried to stick the PSX version's music in it, which seems to be a mistake. I used the TR1installer1771, followed every step of this guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=842229868, and the music works. Great. One problem. It's trapped in a tiny window as you can see in my screenshot. That's before I enabled windowed mode by setting the dosboxTR.conf fullscreen setting to false. After setting it to windowed mode I can switch between windowed and fullscreen easily enough, except the window doesn't actually get any bigger when fullscreened. The only way to know it's full screened is that my mouse pointer is gone.

Is there any way to either get this full screened or increase the window size with this music + Unfinished Business patch? I'd prefer windowed since it just crashes when I alt-tab out of fullscreen, but either will do as long as I don't have to play in that tiny ass screen if I want the PSX music.
>>
File: Capture.png (500KB, 2548x891px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
500KB, 2548x891px
>>4030231

Damn it, forgot my pic
>>
>>4030231
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118984427
I used this, worked like a charm.
>>
>>4030608

I used that too. Everything works except being stuck in a small window.
>>
>>4031119
I haven't installed nGlide though, it was default 3dfx glide from gog version.
>>
>>4031130

Maybe I'll try it without that later just to see how it works, though I thought nglide was required for nicer visuals.
>>
>>4029664
>marketing doesn't sell a game
Are you from bizarro world?
>>
>>4020669
Anniversary is far from retro but I agree. Also IV isn't a bad place to start either. (Play the PC version)
>>
Tomb Raider legend was my love at first sight but it was too short, they fix it in anniversary but they changed the model for Lara witch sucked hard for me, my advice is if you like the aesthetics of old games start with the first series of tomb raider if not then i recommend Underworld it have the best from legend and anniversary but they fucked the mansion witch was very comfy in the legend
>>
>>4020474
IV was meh, Alexandria was cool as well as the train stage right before Alexandria but the rest of the game was kind of doodoo.
>>
>>4022543
>Not everything has to be set in Egypt, Greece or Rome to be considered a proper Tomb Raider setting.

I never said that. I actually mentioned how I loved the first level on the Wall of China. It's not about where in the world it is, but natural and ancient versus artificial and recent.

Also you seem to be too focused on the story. The story doesn't limit the level design, it's the other way around. Developers didn't choose Venice because of an attempt at a deep and consistent plot. They chose it because they liked or thought it was cool. Same thing for enemies. It's not about whether or not it makes sense in the plot, it's about what the developers intended.

And in my humble opinion their intentions were wrong. Hell, if the return to natural levels in 3 and 4 is any indication, they seemed to realise that too.
>>
Just bumping this thread because I intend to post later.
>>
>>4027329
>to an average, pussy-whipped teenager that cries at every given moment when she isn't getting her ass kicked by local flora
sounds like Metroid's latest main entry
>>
How is the DC version of Revelation? Anything bad? I'm totally ok with an up-res version of the PS1 one.
>>
>>4032012
Post what later?
>>
Finished the first Tomb Raider. It's a series I've been meaning to try out since the 90s and well... better late than never. Man, the controls were awful, but despite that I had fun for the most part. Wish I could have gotten my issues with the PC version sorted out so I could have played it with music (I did hear it because I emulated the PSX version) and played the extra four levels. I'll have to try again another time. I plan on playing Tomb Raider II's PC version though, I haven't heard of any other TR game missing music or anything from certain versions.
>>
>>4032510
>Man, the controls were awful
Yeah, I really hated how the levels were pretty huge at times yet you had to be meticulous as fuck. Made me not even want to explore.
>>
>>4032515

Really glad I got used to them by the end. It felt like the level designer was pissed off when he made the final level.
>>
>>4032510
TR2 on pc has a music bug, tracks can be played in a wrong order. I forgot how to fix it though, only multipatch is required or something else.
>>
>>4020453
Don't bother, it's shit.
>>
>>4032537

Ah damn, guess I'll have to look into that too. Currently trying to figure out how the hell you pull the settings back up after the initial start up, can't find it for the GoG version.
>>
>>4032549

Well, I got it by using -setup with Run, but NOW the game doesn't want to start in 2560x1080, though it did before the patch. Getting "Render init failed with "CreateDevice"' now.
>>
File: 1494310333741.png (186KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
1494310333741.png
186KB, 1000x963px
>mfw I just play the ps1 versions like I grew up with
>>
>>4020453
Put the CD into the console, or load the iso into the emu and fucking play it, retard.
>>
File: jKXAuGq.png (834KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jKXAuGq.png
834KB, 1920x1080px
Alright, think I've got mostly everything figured out, but I've got one question. Anyone know how to fix the top screen getting cut off? I've messed with FOV with the TR 2,3,4 widescreen patch, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
>>
>>4032580
why the fuck does she look so skinny
>>
>>4032582
Looks like fucked up aspect ratio.
>>
>>4032582

Good question, she doesn't really seem like that when I'm in the game, but I asked myself the same thing when I saw the screenshot. Not sure if it has anything to do with running the game in 1920x1080 on a 21:9 monitor (it refused to run in a higher res, CreativeDevice has issues) or something else. But yeah, in game really doesn't look that bad.
>>
File: k-meleon 2017-06-01 12-07-40-63.jpg (45KB, 1280x862px) Image search: [Google]
k-meleon 2017-06-01 12-07-40-63.jpg
45KB, 1280x862px
Tomb Raider had some of the spookiest water sections. Glad I completed the game so I can be done with it. Not gonna play 2 because I was warned about the ocean level.
>>
You have to treat her right. That's the only way.
>>
File: lara_char17.png (190KB, 361x600px) Image search: [Google]
lara_char17.png
190KB, 361x600px
>>4033162
>treat her right
>>
So many glitches in this game. I swear every time I'm fighting a mummy I end up jumping right through the map.
>>
>>4033993

Which one? The first one? That's weird, I just played it over the last few days and the only glitched I experienced was the last cutscene starting to play after Lara swam to that island, but I think that's because of the emulator.
>>
>>4034012
Yep. I'm emulating using mednafen. I mean it's not really a big deal but still.
>>
>>4033993
There are many places where you can jump through objects or places that you shouldn't be able to.

Try aligning two push blocks so that they touch diagonally at the corners. Push yourself right up against the sliver of a gap between them at a 45 degree angle and jump forward. You'll slip right through.
>>
File: 1449660373078.png (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449660373078.png
100KB, 500x500px
>>4034295
Very interesting
>>
>>4031236
I think he means marketing can't make a franchise out of a fundamentally shit game, which is true.
>>
>>4034462
It sure as hell works with Square Enix titles.
>>
Man, Tomb Raider II is weird. After the first game I didn't expect to be shooting up Venice.
>>
>>4032012
Did you post yet?
>>
File: UnderWaterGate.png (75KB, 1053x628px) Image search: [Google]
UnderWaterGate.png
75KB, 1053x628px
This is the question I wanted to ask: Help. I'm stuck.

This underwater gate. This is quite early in the game. I imagine it's merely the first hour if you actually know what you're doing (maybe even first 30 minutes). This underwater gate appears in a river, after the part where you have to grab that log (with the flares and MP5 ammo I think?), drop down onto one of the four slopes, slide into the spikes, jump out and take out that tiger before walking through the giant iron door and not getting killed by the three boulders that roll down on your way to the river with this underwater gate.
Another identifier for the underwater gate is that the river it's in has a log in it and that log, if you position yourself correctly, has a tree branch above it and if you grab that branch, there's a switch. What it does? No idea but it's there!
This underwater gate, once swam through, leads into that dark room with the fires and the thin walkway and the switches that face each other.

You can't beat this level without passing through this gate so I assume you know what I'm talking about. Now, I jumped into that big river from that section of the level with the waterfall and the giant pool of water with pillars extending upwards from the submerged ground, stopping such that they're perfectly level with the water. The river pushed me all the way to the start of the level with the wall of spikes. I got back here but I'm stuck here now because I can't find the switch for this gate
>>
>>4035634
I just made my post. Sorry for the delay.
>>
>>4037015
What game? What level?
Use a walkthrough if you're really stuck.
>>
>>4037037
It's a Tomb Raider thread so I'm asking a Tomb Raider question. This is Tomb Raider 3. I'm still in the early parts of India, the first level of the game.

I'm tempted to use a walkthrough however, ideally, I'd just like to see someone explain how to open this gate. If I were to use a walkthrough, I'd have to start the whole game again from the beginning. I mean, not that I got far but nonetheless, as it was a blind attempt, I feel it has some kind of intrinsic value.
>>
>>4037043
It's a gate you're supposed to use as alternative way. TR3 is very confusing, it has alternative paths which lock you out of stuff.
>>
File: BetterView.png (243KB, 1260x703px) Image search: [Google]
BetterView.png
243KB, 1260x703px
>>4037037
Pic related. I think this is a much better view of where I'm stuck. The Underwater gate I included in the other post is under the water shown here.
>>
>>4037046
If you jump in water here you can get in that room from other side of the gate.
You need either a walkthrough or mulitple playthroughs.
>>
File: EvenBetterView.png (215KB, 1260x703px) Image search: [Google]
EvenBetterView.png
215KB, 1260x703px
>>4037045
So that underwater gate was meant to be an alternative? From the way I encountered it, it seemed to have been the main way. Although, I do recall seeing a second gate. Pic related, the circle reveals the second gate. There's a switch on a tree branch in this area that gives you control over that gate however, it only seems to close it.

>>4037050
But I just showed you:
>>4037015
The gate's locked. I can't get into the other side of the gate.
>>
>>4037053
You can jump on a tree and get into the temple from the other side.
>>
>>4037046
>>4037053
And why do you emulate if you can play a superior pc version?
>>
File: Cap1.png (172KB, 1101x557px) Image search: [Google]
Cap1.png
172KB, 1101x557px
>>4037061
Do you mean, this tree? (pic related)

>>4037064
Well, I don't know to be honest. I thought the PC version would've had compatibility issues or something. By comparison, I never have much issue with PS1 emulation.
>>
>>4037061
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA9cnTHn15I

15 minutes in, after opening the switch, she's actually able to jump across and grab what was actually a grabbable ledge! I didn't even know that was possible. Okay. I don't have a problem anymore.
>>
File: tomb raider 3 retrospective 03.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
tomb raider 3 retrospective 03.png
2MB, 1440x900px
>>4037071
Seriously, compare this pixel mess to pc version.
>>
>>4020453
>install the game
>start the game
>play the game
>>
>>4037083
My nostalgia goggles are still in effect so I don't mind.
>>
>>4037083
>dem texture seams
I prefer it unfiltered, honestly. Gets rid of the seams.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEyUqYbknG8
>>
>Hitscanning in Tomb Raider II

How many games before I get to one without hitscanning?
>>
>>4039509
>hitscanning
As opposed to what?
>>
>>4039560

Maybe I don't know my terminology well. I thought hitscanning was an older technique used in games like the original DOOM and there was a different technique for 3D games where enemies actually have to hit you to damage you. The enemies in Tomb Raider II just shoot straight forward and be they above or below me, they hit me as long as they're firing in my direction.
>>
>>4020453
Her Name is Lara Croft, Tomb Raider is just the name of the game
>>
>>4039565
You're right.
I remember projectiles in legend, so either it or aod(haven't played it yet) have projectile ballistics. ps1 TR games are all the same in this sense.
>>
>>4039617

Oh well, I'm still having fun enough, so I guess I'll just have to deal with it for 4-5 games.
>>
File: kiss-of-flower_1.jpg (28KB, 428x428px) Image search: [Google]
kiss-of-flower_1.jpg
28KB, 428x428px
>>4020453
try buying her flowers, bitches love flowers
>>
>>4039629
>implying you can impress her by flowers
She needs few thousand years old things.
>>
>>4020453
Be a teenager willing to fuck everything.
>>
>>4020698
>the sunken ship
It's a tomb. And the comfiest level in the series.
>>
>>4039697
Zoo from tr3 TLA is the most comfy in my opinion.
>>
>>4032317
probably the definitive version of the game, same with Chronicles because they both utilize windows CE thus making the graphics more polished and it looks much nicer.
>>
>>4020453
she has something morphing in her chest.
>>
>>4020518
Chronicles is my favorite, fucking prick dickle
>>
>only black character in the game is bad
-_-
>>
>>4041740
How is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light? I enjoyed the Temple of Osiris sequel.
>>
Also, has anyone here played Tomb Raider Go? It's a mobile puzzle game. Doesn't look bad, but I doubt it's worth any money.
>>
>>4033546
How did Lara get all that bird poop on her?
>>
>>4042046
They caught her off guard.
>>
>>4020512
name of the girl please?
>>
File: really.jpg (11KB, 372x540px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
11KB, 372x540px
>>4043494
You have to be 18 to post here.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.