[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a USB to Retro console adapter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: h9e7Y.jpg (68KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
h9e7Y.jpg
68KB, 600x500px
I want to plug my USB controller into PS2/SNES and other consoles.

I don't my mess with a little bit of soldering if needed.
>>
>>4018469
I don't mind*
>>
Research MC Cthulhu. It might be too complicated for you.
>>
>>4018469
There is. But unless someone mass produced them you probably won't find one. Even then it would be too expensive for you.
If you're willing to solder you can convert nearly any controller to be used on any other console with a few simple parts.
>>
>>4019743
Is there a guide for that? I'm researching about MC Cthulhu, it seems to be pretty good but I didn't find anything about analogic stickers stuff.
>>
>>4019851
Because it's not designed for that. The cthulhu is a very basic device designed for a specific purpose.
The part it uses has ADCs so you could look around to see if someone has modified it to use an analog stick. However it's unlikely and very likely that you are literally the only person in the world who wants this. You could also look around for someone selling a device to convert the inputs from your analog stick to the digital output the cthulhu needs.
Of course you could roll your own from scratch or any combination of the above but that requires more than a little soldering.
>>
There is a very mass produced adapter that goes from USB keyboard and mouse to PS2 that lets you macro the keyboard inputs to specific buttons. Theorhetically, that should work with any USB controller (I've hooked up an X360 controller to my ps2 before, just for shits and giggles.)

I'll give you the name when I get home, if no one else has gotten it by then. Don't know about other consoles.
>>
>>4020021
That seems pretty good, I could use a ToToTek adaptor like this: Console > ToToTek > PS2 to USB > USB controller.
>>
File: smartjoy_frag2.jpg (42KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
smartjoy_frag2.jpg
42KB, 450x450px
The adapter was this one?

It emulates a Keyboard, pretty cool, people use it with USB controllers and it works.

There is a mod for high voltage USB controllers. Pretty crazy. I'l test it out.
>>
>>4020021
Did you find it?
>>
>>4022031
>>4020760
That is definitely the one. It works like a charm.
>>
>>4022217
Thanks anon.
>>
>>4018469
Is this controller good for /vr/? I just got a Saturn controller but this also intrigues me
>>
>>4022354
I'm not sure about durability, but the buttons are low profile, so you can slide from one to another, they have micro switchs, so it always clicks and come back to the original state much faster.

You may or may not slip from the d-pad, depending how big you hand is.

Ther is another updated version of it made by pdp, it is called Mortal Kombat Fighting Pad, I think.

There is also the Mad Catz one, but it has some problems with the D-pad, you will need to open the controller and file a piece a little bit to fix it a little bit.
>>
>>4022363
Also, the micro switches are switchable,, if it breaks you can change for another one easily.
>>
>>4022354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecvfOaN7twU
>>
>>4022368
I meant, you just need light solder skills.
>>
>>4018469
Nintendont (gamecube loader for wii) supports usb controllers for gc games
>>
>>4022217
The analogic input is associated with the mouse...

Do the USB analogic sticks work? Or does it only work with Keyboard emulation?
>>
>>4020021
>Theorhetically, that should work with any USB controller
No. Not at all. USB keyboards that are designed to work with an adapter do it by switching to PS/2 mode. You never notice it because it's a standard feature in (probably) every encoder and just happens.

>>4020021
>I've hooked up an X360 controller
Well hat's off to microsoft on this one. I know the 360 controller is a well designed and built piece of kit but this feature really goes above and beyond. They actually built in PS/2 mode. Amazing. How does analog work? Does it emulate key strokes when used on the keyboard port and mouse when on the mouse port?
>>
>>4024071
USB controllers having this PS/2 mode makes sense, since the XBOX controller could be plugged into PC.

PS3 third party USB controllers could also work this way, since PS3 could connect with any UBS controller.

I really want to test it out, but I'm not finding this adapter, could the anon who has test it?
>>
>>4024430
The xbox controller communicates with a PC using USB. PS3 communicates with USB controllers using USB.
You can test your "theory" yourself. Plug any USB controller into a PS/2 adapter and plug it into a computer. If pressing buttons causes letters to be typed it works.
>>
>>4024560
I found this:
https://command-tab.com/2005/09/02/smartjoy-frag-insides/

>Because I was curious how it worked, I opened up the SmartJoy to see what makes it tick. It’s nothing more than a Cypress USB chip and a programmed PIC microcontroller. The USB chip speaks the proper protocol to the Xbox (as the controllers and memory units are all just USB devices in disguise), and the PIC handles key programming and PS/2 interfacing. All in all, it’s a pretty neat little gadget, but not quite worth the $35 plus shipping from Hong Kong.

So... I think it is a USB device that translates the input to PlayStation with a PS/2 interface.

It goes like this: Translates PS/2 > USB > PlayStation.

Is that why USB controllers work? It would make sense.
>>
>>4024579
The link you found is about the xbox version. It has a USB chip because the xbox uses USB. The PS2 version won't have a USB chip because the PS2 controller protocol isn't USB.
As such it wouldn't go the way you think. It would go PS/2 > Playstation.
What exactly do you mean by "USB controllers work"? Work when you plug them into this thing with an adapter? Have you actually tried this as I suggested?
>>
>>4024953
I don't have this adapter, the other anon said it worked.
>>
>>4025238
As I said before, you don't need this adapter to test your theory. All you need is a USB >PS/2 adapter. These come free with many keyboards. You plug your controller into that and then plug it into your computer. If pressing buttons types letters it works. If not it doesn't. I think your wishful thinking is clouding your judgement.
>>
>>4025864
I don't have a PC with PS/2, but I'll try to find one.

>I think your wishful thinking is clouding your judgement.

Go fuck yourself, I'm basing in what the other anon has said about the Xbox controller, I'd like him to test it out because I don't have the adapter.
>>
>>4026564
Top kek kid. Until the other anon provides any evidence it's just another kid on the internet telling stories. And denying that is, at best, wishful thinking.
>>
>>4026762
(You)
>>
So how's that whole waiting for the bullshitter to test it working out for you sport?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.