[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mana points or charges? For RPGs in general, not Final Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Blackmage-ff1-nes.png (18KB, 364x516px) Image search: [Google]
Blackmage-ff1-nes.png
18KB, 364x516px
Mana points or charges? For RPGs in general, not Final Fantasy specifically.
>>
mana provides more flexibility for a magic system. however, cheap ethers/refills can break its economy.

spell charges are great for maintaining economy, but they're rather rigid and uncompromising.
>>
I like charges. I may not need to use an attack all enemy skill during a boss fight but they are useful while I am going to the boss. If they used the same mana pool then by the boss I would have exhausted my MP while with spell charges I would have just exhausted that spell and have others prepared for the boss fight. It encourages me to use my skills rather than trying to conserve them to just be dumped on the boss.
>>
>>4018282
Charges are too restrictive at the beginning and becomes kind of broken in the later part of the game, you has too much of them.

I think that MP, while it's a lot more typical, it's more balanced through the whole thing.
>>
as long as it's balanced/works who cares?

How about...

passive basic attack, or interactive basic attack?

I like it in FF8 with Squall, but it can be tedious.

But, I absolutely hate it in Lost Odyssey because it's ALWAYS tedious.

But, in Legend of Dragoon, I thought it fit very well with the game operations.
>>
File: 1465230926814.jpg (39KB, 304x346px) Image search: [Google]
1465230926814.jpg
39KB, 304x346px
>>4018567
Your post makes it a good morning. Great point my man!
>>
>>4018567
this is a good point.

one of my favorite games is Hexen. it's an FPS, but it has this interesting idea where there's blue and green mana. second weapon consumes blue, third weapon consumes green, the ultimate weapon consumes both.

you could apply this to an RPG, where there are different mana types for lower or higher magic levels, etc. but that might make it overly complicated.

as I was saying, mana and charges both have pros/cons.
>>
points, makes more sense for all attacks to take from the same pool
>>
>>4018282
>Mana points
It's magic points, you homo sapien.

I actually like the spell charges system a lot, though I feel D&D is far too stingy with spells-per-day for videogame adaptations. The way FF1 and 3 do it is good. It's good to be able to spam the low levels spells on losers while conserving the strong stuff.
>>
>>4018815
I still think there'll be a time where someone will pull up LoD mechanics but taking full advantage of all the possibilities it allows with current technology.
>>
This is probably the best thread to ask this: What was the name of that online Final Fantasy 4 game that was popular here a few years back?
>>
>>4018282
I always liked the way the Suikoden series did it. My only issue is that the dungeons are too short so you rarely have to worry about resources.
>>
>>4020076
Never mind, I found it. It was Final Fantasy Remnants on Byond.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.