[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Quest Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

File: unnamed.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
1MB, 1280x800px
What's the best game from the Dragon Quest series and why its V ?
>>
>>4017734

Well OP youre right so thread is over
>>
good thread folks
>>
File: dq3-sage.jpg (34KB, 218x198px) Image search: [Google]
dq3-sage.jpg
34KB, 218x198px
DQIII because of the female Sage (which I named Jun).
>>
File: 900x.jpg (213KB, 900x468px) Image search: [Google]
900x.jpg
213KB, 900x468px
>>4017734
Best game is VII. Sadly some people get scared of the length.
>>
all of them
>>
What's the least grindy DQ game? I wanna get into JRPGs but I haven't developed a tolerance for grinding yet.
>>
>>4017896
I'd say five actually.
>>
File: cute sofia.jpg (459KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cute sofia.jpg
459KB, 800x800px
>>4017896
Probably IV, I don't remember ever having to grind in it.
>>
4 is my favorite
Love the characters so much, including Psaro.
>>
>>4017896
They removed grind starting with 4 on the DS
Even in the old ones if you grind it just means you are bad at the game.
>>
>>4018005
Nah, I and II require grinding to beat. III onward then yeah though, I imagine they are difficult but possible to beat with little to no grinding.
>>
>>4018018
You are right about 1 and 2 I stand corrected.
>>
Are the remakes typically better than the originals?
>>
5 > 3 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 6 > 7 > 1 > 2
>>
>>4018064

It depends. With 1 & 2, they're so archaic that you might as well play the originals just because if you're playing them, it's probably for the nostalgia/novelty/to play the first JRPG's.

With 5, the best version is the DS version for a variety of reasons.

Many people will argue about the best version of Dragon Quest 3, but it is definitively the GBC version. You heard me. Over the SNES version, over any other version, the GBC version is the best rendition of Dragon Quest 3 and I would actually rate it as the second best DQ game. It's about as charming as DQ can possibly be.
>>
>>4018092
I know most DQ games are stand-alone, but the first three are a trilogy. Do I miss out on much by skipping the first two and jumping straight to 3?
>>
>>4018086
8 should be waaaay lower
>>
>>4018194
JokeĀ“s on you 3 is a prequel to 1
>>
>>4018194
Not at all.

Also i never got the hate that Dragon Quest II gets, if i had to "hate" one game on the franchise it would be Dragon Quest VI, it gets kinda boring midway mostly because it doesn't give you any kind of direction, good game yes but not that good.
>>
>>4018267

Nah 8 is great
>>
File: innards.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
innards.png
3KB, 256x224px
who else /gotinnardsfeastedon/ here
>>
>>4018086
Wrong.

VII>III=IV>V>VIII>I=II

Still need to play VI.
>>
>>4017734
3 on gbc is the best dq game there is
>>
>>4019290
The sfc version is better, don't be a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>4018584
They are all great, 8 still needs to be lower.
>>
>>4019317
>don't be a nostalgiafag
>says the older version is better
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
File: boo.png (5KB, 511x448px) Image search: [Google]
boo.png
5KB, 511x448px
What's the best Dragon Quest game to begin the series with?
>>
>>4022367
V or III
>>
>>4017896
the first one actually since you level up naturally as you explore the world. by the time you gather the items to reach the final boss you are already at the right lvl to finish the game.
>>
>>4018086
1>3>9(at launch)>8>zenith trilogy>7>9(current)>2
>>
>>4019209
I got there with a party at average lv28 and almost edged out a victory. Ended up just grinding metabbles in that room for 20 minutes, freshening up with a wizard ring, then smashed him.
>>
>>4019209
Me, definitely had my ass handed to me by him. I grinded for a bit and after a few attempts had beat him with just my fighter alive. It was maybe one of the most difficult battles I have ever had in a jrpg. Way more difficult then Zoma in my experience. Zoma was no pushover but I beat him my first try, was pretty close to losing though. God in VII is the hardest fight in the series though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPR1oWqp4-Y
It's an ad for XI, but /vr/ might like it anyway
>>
>>4017768
>>4022765
>>4019257
>>4018086
DQ3 GBC or Fan Translated SNES (or Android)? Either way I'm playing it on my phone because I love playing on the go
>>
>>4017768
3 remake on switch/ps4 when?
>>
>>4024780
If someone says sonygger I always assume they're a child and should fuck off back to /v/.
>>
>>4024776
The android version is basically the SNES version with an official translation. As for which version to play, I'd suggest SNES. GBC version is actually very good, but unless you have nostalgia for GB RPGs the zoomed view port can get annoying after a while, especially in complicated dungeons.
>>
>>4024776
Snes fan translation is the definitive version. The gbc versiin has one more bonus dungeon and monster medals but neither are worth it when the snes version has amazing audio and graphics. The snes remake came out late in the system's lifespan and really benefits from it.
>>
>>4024808
>The android version is basically the SNES version
With a lot of it's content gutted.
Battle animations
Pachisi
I think Tiny Medals as well are gone
Plus it uses the symphonic music which doesn't work for Dragon Quest III, particularly the overworld, where you don't even get out of the intro before a battle happens and then it restarts from the intro again when you win.
>>
File: 739.png (80KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
739.png
80KB, 211x244px
>>4024780
>8 sonygger
>had a 3ds release
>>
>>4023494
Unless you are playing the remakes this is really really not true.
>>
I always felt VIII was the best, there was just so much character to the whole thing.
>>
>>4026262
I feel like most like it as it was their first. I'm not even trying to start a flamewar but it is the most beginner friendly game in the series which I think is why it appeals to a lot of people who started with it.

It was my fifth DQ game and I wasn't really impressed. Just my opinion but I feel it's a little too simplified personally.
>>
>>4026284
I can agree with that. my first was the first nes one when it was Dragon Warrior. I played the first two. then back 09 I played the 8th one, and really enjoyed it. Over the years I have played the other ones, but 8 does hold a certain warmheartedness to it that is enjoyable.
>>
>>4019290
I agree with this, 3 is probably the most replayable and gbc version is the only one I like. Pachisi tracks are missing in the snes, right?
>>
>>4026312
No. Pachisi is missing in iOS/Android.
GBC is a remake of SNES. The added content over the SNES features are Monster Medals, and a second post-game dungeon. All the other new additions (compared to NES) were from the SNES version.
>>
File: 23332181_p0.jpg (793KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
23332181_p0.jpg
793KB, 1000x750px
>>4026296
I think what really disappointed me was that in the original you had only three party members who have very clear roles that they fulfill. Every DQ starting from III I feel has more replayability since you would either be able to be able to have pick classes (III and VII) or have a party of characters that all filled different roles allowing you create different parties for your style (IV and V). With VIII everyone has their obvious role and not much room to really diverge. The skill tree was interesting but some skills are just pointless, clubs on Yangus for example. Also tension is pretty imbalanced. In regular encounters it's useless and in boss battles it's stupid as fuck good.

Just my personal complaints. For a first timer I feel it's a good first entry but for veterans I feel it can underwhelming.
>>4026312
No, snes ADDED the pachisi. The gbc port is based on the snes version, not the nes version. The snes is much better then the gbc version. The bonus content of the gbc version is not all that great, the snes version looks and sounds amazing. I don't get why people would play the gbc version over the snes version, snes is fucking amazing.
>>
>>4024650
Comfy ad.
>>
File: Capture.png (48KB, 511x769px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
48KB, 511x769px
I'm on a journey through the series for the first time, playing them in order. I'm up to 4 right now, just started Torneko's chapter and man is it boring.
>>4018194
3 will mean a lot less to you if you play it before 1 and 2.
>>
>>4025157
>I think Tiny Medals as well are gone
No, they are there.
However, everything else applies. Also, it's missing IMPORTANT songs as well. Songs that even the GBC version had (as well as animations and pachisi and extra stuff along with the extra stuff from the SFC version).
Also, the way they did the swimsuit alts was fucking disguisting. Literally one sprite copy-pasta'd for all classes based on the female merchant. Oh, and get this shit, character facing sprites are mirrored now instead of actually having attention put into them (i.e. if the soldier's shield and axe/sword stay in the proper hands regardless of which way you face). Not as big a deal as the fucking swimsuit sprites or the goddamn animations being cut entirely, but for fuck's sake, it's not even a taxing thing to do.
How lazy this shitty port is. Holy balls, man.
And it's not even a case of "well, maybe they just didn't have orchestral versions of those songs?"
NOPE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xUmtFO-dwc
What a goddamn crock of shit. Anyone recommending the mobile ports of DQ can shove broken glass up their ass.
>>
>>4026331
>I don't get why people would play the gbc version over the snes version, snes is fucking amazing.
Not him, but I like both myself. However, I find the GBC version "flows" faster, even though they move at about the same speeds. Plus, it is easier to match to guides and FAQs (or at least it was. There's probably new ones for the SFC version that use the patch's translations).
I think the battles take a little less time to start though.
Also, like DQ1+2 on GBC, there are different "encounter" melodies (taken from DQM) based on whether you fight a normal enemy or a boss. I love that shit.
>>
>>4026671
>just started Torneko's chapter and man is it boring.
>he doesn't know how to make phat stacks of cash
Shit son, get your jew on.
>>
File: average japanese family.jpg (70KB, 1062x595px) Image search: [Google]
average japanese family.jpg
70KB, 1062x595px
>>4017734

very well researched series on DQ worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBnkTMqQfb0&feature=youtu.be
>>
V > VII > III = IV > VIII > XI > VI > I > II

What system are you guys picking XI up for? I'm considering the Switch if they go full ABSOLUTE MADMAN and have the console version's graphics when it's docked and the 3DS models when in handheld mode.

If not I'll just get it on the 3DS.
>>
File: 438599-SW1.jpg (145KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
438599-SW1.jpg
145KB, 1200x675px
>>4028074
Pretty good taste, close to mine. I'm >>4019257

3ds is my only option unfortunately. I love DQ but i just can't justify a ps4 for it. The ps4 version looks gorgeous too, really kills me. But I'm happy I can at least play it at the least.

I wish they would discuss combat a bit more. Classes look to be absent so I want to know is what new mechanics can we look forward to. So far these two are my favorite of the cast shown so far.
>>
>>4028110
>>
>>4028110
>I love DQ but i just can't justify a ps4 for it.
some fan
>>
Why does everyone hate DQ6?
>>
>>4031216
Because it starts with a fun story, and then 10hrs in it hits you with about 20hrs of unguided sandbox gameplay with little to no connected plot.

You finish a small quest for the king, you get a ship, and the king literally tells you "I have nothing for you to do right now. Go explore!" It loses all urgency.

Don't get me wrong, I love the job system, and I think the story eventually picks up again and is actually pretty fun, but this is basically why no one likes it.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.