[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 joystick maintenance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1629.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1629.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I used this grease I found to lubricate some new N64 controllers, but the stick is getting stiff and hard to move. What do I do?
>>
>>4017292
>What do I do?
Taste test.
>>
>>4017292
I feel like this deserves a Giggity
>>
>>4017292
Those control sticks were never designed to be lubricated. Youre doing more harm than good.
>>
>>4017292
>grease I found
You should be using grease you buy
>>
>implying "accidentally" used 2-part epoxy as grease

Once you've repaired the bowl on a loose stick, white lithium grease works a treat to keep it in good shape for years.
>>
>>4017292
Grease will do nothing if your bowl is worn out. Your stick will only ever be as smooth as your bowl.

I don't know if those kickstarter projects for replacement parts are done yet. If those are around it's way easier to just replace the bowl and grease it so it'll stay in good shape.

But here's what I did. I took the smallest o-ring I had and cut in half with a very sharp knife and a lot of patience. And by in half I mean I cut it across into 2 thinner o-rings. I wrapped one on the joystick and pushed it up to the round ball, with the round side of the o-ring down. This elevates the joystick out of the bowl so it doesn't even make contact. The downside is downward pressure is now loaded onto the black pieces. But it should bottom out if the pressure is high enough.

Anyway I did this to two controllers and greased the fuck out of them. Gave them to two poor kids for christmas, so no idea how long this fix lasts. But being able to handle friction is a common requirement for o-rings.

I've seen the same fixe with flat spacers and one aspie made his own piece out of a plastic ballpoint pin. But the rounded o-ring is literally the perfect shape to slide in the top black piece. Plus they are common.
>>
>>4017382
Where the fuck do you learn this shit?

Japanese controllers were literally lubricated at time of manufacture. American joysticks weren't lubricated because the grease was not child safe enough to regulations and they said fuck finding an alternative that's edible.

There are tons of lubricants out there that are designed to be used on plastics. Kill yourself.
>>
>>4017938
Don't just make shit up. You can open up a new J controller and find there's no grease.
>>
>>4017292
>take autism meds
>stop fucking with shit you know nothing about
>problem solved
>>
>>4017938

Uh, there's no grease in a japanese controller dude
>>
>>4017382
>I heard some stupid shit on youtube so I'm going to parrot it on 4chan and make it sound like I know something!

They came from factory lubricated, and there absolutely are plastic lubricants.

Maybe you should try eating some so we don't have to see your stupid posts anymore
>>
>>4019015
No shit you're not going to find any lubricant on a 20 year old controller. They absolutely came with lubricant.
>>
File: 1494602475456.gif (3MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1494602475456.gif
3MB, 280x210px
>people arguing over lube
>not which lube is best, or the best way to apply
>just if the lube existed in the first place or not
This shouldn't be as funny as it is.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.