[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a bad game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: Supermariokart_box.jpg (50KB, 256x181px) Image search: [Google]
Supermariokart_box.jpg
50KB, 256x181px
Is it a bad game?
>>
best game ever
>>
Probably the least RNG dependent game in the series. So, no.
>>
It probably has the most unfun AI of any racing game ever.
>>
>>4017148
It's honestly more fair than the other Mario Karts, due to >>4017141. Sure, they have infinite feathers and items you can't actually get, but it's still better than red/blue shells, lightning bolts, or any other unavoidable RNG bullshit.
>>
>>4017141
>enemies following the exact same race line is superior to any sort of randomness

This is what speedrunners actually believe
>>
>>4017164
Hitting the AI with anything is the RNG.
They just pull a super jumps out of their asses and avoid everything. Affecting them in any way on 150cc is pure RNG.
>>
No, but that is a bad OP.
>>
>best game on snes
>is it bad
Wew
>>
absolutely not
>>
Yes just play Mario Kart 64.
>>
Incredible when it came out. Still fun to play.
>>
It's like the trolls stopped pretending to even try
>>
Never really liked Mario Kart myself but dammit if the 2D artwork for just about any retro Mario game doesn't tickle my autism.
>>
File: 1443846012896.gif (2MB, 369x266px) Image search: [Google]
1443846012896.gif
2MB, 369x266px
>>4017125
I can see some casual MK fans being turned of by it. The game has its flaws but was very impressive at the time. Also the control gets some time to get used to. The only thing that pisses me off about it is the damn split screen map/racing shit. I know there's some technical reasoning for it but good lord.
>>
>>4017203
>best game on the snes
>not Donkey Kong Country 2
>>
No, but Mario Kart 64 is.
>>
>>4020531
MK64 has some of the best circuits and music in the series, no to mention best battle mode, so no.

>bb-but I hate it because it's popular and jocks at school who played it used to bully me
I don't care
>>
>>4017125

its fantastic

>>4020531

The bobombs on the versus maps are really fucking stupid but other than that its still a great game too.
>>
>>4020629

Yes on the music, maybe on the battle mode, absolutely not on the circuits, the circuits are the reason MK64 sucks. They're all overly long and featureless. Rainbow Road takes almost two minutes per lap (provided you don't cheat), the only obstacles are the chomps and the whole track has walls so you can't even fall off (probably so it didn't take any longer to complete). Bowser's Castle on the other hand is overly difficult entirely due to poor track design (and the kart control doesn't help much). And I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with Yoshi Valley. The only good tracks are Banshee Boardwalk, Sherbet Land and Koopa Troopa Beach. All the others are overly long and featureless. Diddy Kong Racing kicked Mario Kart 64's ass in track design.
>>
>>4020482
The original DKC was better.
>>
>>4017141
>>4017164
>>4017182
>complaining about RNG on a casual kart game where its half of point in playing is RNG

Stop getting mad over video games and go back to Smash.
>>
>>4020849
>complains about overly long circuits
>mentions Diddy Kong Fucking Racing

MK64 has actual go-karting circuits.
The Peach/Luigi/Mario raceways are probably the best tracks in the entire series.
>>
>>4020857
Thank you
>>
File: 800px-MK64_Royal_Raceway_map.jpg (69KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
800px-MK64_Royal_Raceway_map.jpg
69KB, 800x600px
>>4021110
Yeah those long-ass straghtaways sure are cool. Rare just had a better understanding of 3D level design, Banjo compared to Mario 64 was the same way.

>MK64 has actual go-karting circuits.
I wasn't aware a game where a driving gorilla can throw a homing turtle shell at a dinosaur was meant to be a simulator.
>>
>>4021210
>royal raceway
>long-ass
The trick of these is that they're short loops, you know, like actual go-karting.
Also I never talked about it being a simulator, I talked about the track design.
The circuits you mentioned before like Yoshi's Valley and Bowser's Castle are more on par with DKR's tracks.
>>
>>4017125
Best game of the serie.

Blue shells killed Mario Kart.
>>
>>4020857

Truth. I love MK64 but Diddy Kong Racing as a whole is a superior game in just about every way. Not just a racing game, it also had exploration, which is super fun when you were a kid.
>>
>>4017203
It's not even the best racing game on the SNES.
>>
File: bikermicefrommars.jpg (790KB, 2100x1540px) Image search: [Google]
bikermicefrommars.jpg
790KB, 2100x1540px
>>4021527
tru dat
>>
>>4020857
Wrong, DKC3 is
>>
>>4021584
Shut the fuck up, hipster-coon.
>>
>>4021635
Not a hipster, I just have good taste
>>
File: IMG_6962.png (260KB, 483x368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6962.png
260KB, 483x368px
>>4020857
>being this wrong just to be a hipster contrarian
>>
>>4021736
Saying the original DKC is the best isn't contrarian. DKC3 is the contrarian choice.
Most people will agree that 2>1>3
They're all good anyways
>>
>>4021645

Dkc2>dkc1>dkc3

Youre just a hipster man
>>
File: IMG_1001.png (384KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1001.png
384KB, 526x526px
>>4017203
>best
pls

>>4020482
pls

>>4020857
ok

>>4021829
objectively correct but eh
>>
File: 1487901967331.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487901967331.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>4021551
mah nigguh
>>
>>4021414

you're wrong, because MKDS exists
>>
>>4022069
This.

GOD TIER
MKDS

DEMI-GOD TIER
MK8

GREAT TIER
MKDD
MK7

GOOD TIER
SMK
MK64*

MEH TIER
MKSC

SHIT TIER
MKW

*This is actually my second favorite but I think it's nostalgia goggles so I lowered it
>>
File: Screenshot_20170526-194611~2.png (480KB, 675x677px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170526-194611~2.png
480KB, 675x677px
>>4022068
>>4021551

Lovely!
>>
>>4017125
no but it is superannuated
>>
>>4022130

You MKDS bros need a reality check. Yeah the single player was good but the graphics are the worst in the series, the sound is only slightly better than super circuit, touch control is pointless, great character selection, and while the tracks are great whats the point when multiplayer is broken? Even time trials are ruined by snaking.

And before anyone says its like wavedashing in melee...no, not really. Snaking is too potent. So basically what im saying is its a good game but not if you had friends. Snaking ruined that game.
>>
>>4022493
>it's a pleb is butthurt about snaking episode
>>
>>4021095
If it's about RNG and not gameplay, what's the point of the game itself?

Why not just roll some dice?
>>
>>4017175
They're talking about item rolls you fucking dunce.
>>
>>4021527
f-zero wasn't aimed at six year olds there's no reason to bring it up in this thread
>>
>>4022636
>If it's about RNG and not gameplay
It's about BOTH. That's why I said "HALF point".

>what's the point of the game itself?
To have fun with crazyness and madness around? What, don't tell me you take it seriously, do you?
>>
>>4023136
>don't tell me you take it seriously, do you?
Of course not. How could I take something seriously if it's filled with shitty, tedious RNG?
>>
File: 1464061577791.png (86KB, 201x185px)
1464061577791.png
86KB, 201x185px
>>4023140
>Of course not.
Oh, okay.

>How could I take something seriously if it's filled with shitty, tedious RNG?
Looks like Mario Kart is not for you. You're better off playing F-Zero or some other competitive racing game then.
>>
>>4023151
Mario Kart can be competitive though. Mario Kart 64 in particular is incredibly difficult to optimize.

Thank god for time trials.

http://www.mariokart64.com/
>>
>>4023165
>Mario Kart can be competitive though.
If you mean by removing items, then it would be less fun (at least for me) and would not function well, since it's not designed around competitiveness, exactly like Smash.
>>
>>4023171
It functions better. Why would it have to be designed around competitiveness to function well? Some of the best mechanics in video games ever were total accidents that had nothing to do with the way they were intended.

Skiing in Tribes wasn't designed intentionally. Testers ended up loving it so much that the marketing team lauded it as a core mechanic.

Bunnyhopping in Quake is another good example.
>>
>>4023195
>It functions better
Especially when we know the casual nature of Mario Kart, nope, it doesn't. Without items, there's no impact or any different moments in racing. There's almost no racers trying to get higher positions, and items not happening means there's always the same repetitive monotonous scheme racers adopt on courses. Drift, drift, and just drift, until the race ends with players being in the same position they were before the race starts.

Source: I participed on a MK7 community where only Mushrooms were enabled and nothing else. Yes, well, Mushrooms were there, but not even them were able to help me gather higher positions. It was like I was playing a driving simulator, rather than a kart game. I only just had to drift, finish 3 laps and that's it. It was thanks to this that I learned Mario Kart is horrible without items. There's a reason people like >>4022130 thought Double Dash, the game with the most varied selection of items, was great.

>Why would it have to be designed around competitiveness to function well?
If that's the case, then explain to me how can Smash work with items and gimmicky stages while being played competitively. There's a reason why people disable items and the majority of stages.

>Some of the best mechanics in video games ever were total accidents that had nothing to do with the way they were intended.
Snaking and firehopping would still not help on Mario Kart to be fun without items, because the game as a whole WAS build up around items. Theses two "mechanics" would still get heavily defeated by simply attacking theses who use them with a green shell or a banana.
>>
>>4023247
>>4023171
>>4023151
Time trials in Mario Kart was always intended to be competitive. There's even an arcade style leaderboard built into the game.
>>
You all beat the Mario, Luigi and Peach ghosts on MK64 time trials, right?
>>
>>4020358
>The only thing that pisses me off about it is the damn split screen map/racing shit. I know there's some technical reasoning for it but good lord.
Yeah that always struck me as odd. I'd love to see the game in full screen. Could there ever be a hack that did that?
>>
>>4023292
>Time trials in Mario Kart was always intended to be competitive.
>time trials

Wait, are we talking about normal matches or time trials? I thought it was the former.
>>
>>4023335
I said Mario Kart *can* be competitive and then I linked a time trial leaderboard site.
>>
I like playing some Mario Kart 7 online, while is true that the series is full of RNG there's a few ways to reduce it, you can see what items your opponents has in the lower screen, so you can predict a attack and use a down+shell or something similar to defend yourself, when you're about to be hit by a blue shell you should do a sudden brake and hit the second (and maybe third) incoming racers with the explosion.
Also, being hit is pretty common online, so you should priorize acceleration above max speed (or at least a average between the two).
>>
>>4017125
No, but it hasn't aged that well and almost all the MK sequels surpassed it
>>
>>4022130
Eww.

The only good Mario Karts are the original and 64.
>>
>>4024850
>Everything that is not /vr/ and I didn't grew up with is trash
Typical /vr/ hivemind.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.