[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ambiguity by design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: ultimaonline-4.jpg (97KB, 636x455px) Image search: [Google]
ultimaonline-4.jpg
97KB, 636x455px
In the past I felt as if ambiguity was a big part of 90s video games, especially RPGs and MMOs.

I see modern games try to replicate 'ambiguity' in by being vague to the point of misleading, implicating incredibly unneeded difficult mechanics or just poorly designed landscapes.

What I miss from retro games is the purposeful, yet well thought out vagueness. The real types of ambiguity that felt as if you were piecing part of a story or an objective together.

Pic related: A game I believed that used ambiguity beautifully to grow it's experience and immersion.

Can anyone else suggest some other games that have this ambiguous feeling?
>>
Ironically enough you worded that post so vaguely I don't understand what you mean.
>>
>>4016523
I thought the same, and i don't think UO is a good example of a retro experience.
>>
There was absolutely nothing good about being "ambiguous" in games like EQ where players were forced to trade items that represented hundreds of hours of effort to NPCs at random in an attempt to progress a quest that might not have even been fully implemented.
>>
File: grim fandango.jpg (130KB, 256x341px) Image search: [Google]
grim fandango.jpg
130KB, 256x341px
I feel like if Grim Fandango came out today, they'd explicitly tell you Manny's backstory and why he's in a deadend job.
>>
>>4016403
why no "Ultima" on your OP fagget?
UO thread huh, what shard you guys playing?

i wanted to try UOSA, byt fuck not having horses,
UOF has just gone pay to win, metapets eating powerscrolls, and ofc "the butler" which costs $200 dollars to have an instantaneous char re-equip re-stock, that along with talisman bulshit, allow for a dead foe to be gated out and back to his body fully equiped for a fight in as little as 20 seconds, dieing doesnt mean shit if you give $200 to a pirate server
>>
>>4016726
I think MUDs/MOOs were ambiguous in an interesting way: not by being accidentally broken, but because you interacted with them through a low-bandwidth channel (commands/short bits of prose, not keypresses + mouse/graphics and sound). It helped when your game had a large, weird world with no strong overarching theme that the players cocreated (like LambdaMOO).
>>
>>4016942
>UOF has just gone pay to win,

I was just thinking of getting into that server.
is all that shit you said true? if so, I guess I can forget about that
>>
>>4016751
Yeah games get so hung up on details and "lore" nowadays. You can't just have an epic globe-spanning adventure without knowing everything about fucking everybody, and games wind up feeling much smaller in scope.

There's lots of smaller developers that still try to capture that ambiguity but it's completely absent from most mainstream games anymore.
>>
>>4017358
Its not that bad, but its not great either its full of "free shard shit". Like evo dragons that are poorly made and either cost a bomb in dono coins or you can grind for weeks for in game gold and buy dono coins from other players.

The draw to UOF is the stability of server and that large population.
>>
>>4016942
Uo Excelsior atm, but it's very obviously P2W. Something is keeping me there though and I'm not sure what
>>
>>4019958
>>4017436
How hard is it to run your own server, anyway?
>>
>>4020027
You download a server program, and uo client and you can get a server up in 10 minutes.

There is a lot of work to getting it to be a good server/unique/ have playerbase, etc though
>>
File: gaben.jpg (133KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
gaben.jpg
133KB, 1236x1600px
>>4017358
>is all that shit you said true?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLqsfU7ekY
butler presentation

right then and there it was costing $250, recently i heard its at about $200, good old tactic used in fashionable real life merchandise, extra charge the eager, and slightly downgrade price overtime to be sure to get all would be patrons to pay the max they would be willing to part with.

shit was a brief scandal, we called shane out on the pay-to-win bulshit, but its just silently removed from the forums, like most of the heavier criticism on anything really.

funny i just searched it
https://www.uoforum.com/threads/introducing-the-butler.49246/
and it looks like shane waited and later killed any negative opinions, in the initial censoring he just erased the most hardsh complaints, probably to not look so douchy, several estabilished players, either donators and/or in-game millionaires called out on the clear advantage this shit gives, and how UOF was from the start sworn to never have gameplay advantages as donation, only cosmetical.

nowadays looks like most faggots got it eventually, faggots will always suck it once you force ir down their throats
>>
>>4020027
>How hard is it to run your own server, anyway?
just too damn easy

UO uses little resouruces and bandwidth, but still requires lowish latency to be enjoyable, your home internet likely supports 100 players, and a current non gamer desktop 500 players.

>>4020085
>There is a lot of work to getting it to be a good server/unique/
not really when you can just grab pre made scripts from runuo forum, on shit like
https://github.com/kamronbatman/DefianceUO-Pre1.10
>have playerbase
NOW THAT is the million dollar question

>>4020027
the issue isnt that its hard to run your shard, but that its easy, and theres a ton of them even today, uo players even being oldfags just cant seem to get togheter for a common goal of playing everybody on the same server, while at the same time exercising restraint to refuse to collaborate to and even play on P2W moneygrab shards

im all about the donation, we're all adults, we dont need rewards to aid financially something for our own enjoyment, but fuck playng chess with handicap
>>
>>4017358
>>4016942
holllly shiiiiet, you cant make this shit up
https://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php/Starter_Pack
>$ 60 USD Starter Pack
>1 Ethereal Horse Mount
>1 Clothing Bless Deed
>225 Stat Ball
>7 Skill Choice Book ((Choose 7 Skills to be 100.00/GM in - 700.00 Total)
so its just a warshard, but with a registration fee? HAHAHAH
>>
>>4016523
>>4016530
you're dense
>>
>>4021826
I've been having trouble connecting to this server. Now I'm kinda glad
>>
>>4023006
no troubles here, using razor / uosteam
and client 7.0.15.1 or even 7.0.34 (when mul files became uop)

im kinda stuck in uof with my big house and item hoard, but i get that even playing without donating im still contributing to them, by adding to the population since its uof sole selling point at this height.

please tell youve been playing on some nice shard, and tell me which it is, UOSA, UOLostLands, which? im too lazy to try the top 5-10 one per day to find a suitable replacement.
>>
>>4023130
Uo Excelsior... It's...it's fine I guess. I haven't tried connecting to UOF manually, just tried to use their launcher which gets stuck on "searching for downloads". Maybe I'll put more effort into it later today
>>
File: uof uos settings.png (20KB, 420x346px) Image search: [Google]
uof uos settings.png
20KB, 420x346px
>>4023206
a friend had trouble with their new installer as well, the old onestill works http://www.uoforever.com/files/UOF_Client_2013.rar
but this rar just contains a 900MB "zipexe"-installer that you can extract and obtain the game files and even run razor/uosteam and just point to that directly, contains client 7.0.15.1, but you probably can connect just by pointing you razor to uof
>>
>>4023206
>Uo Excelsior
>Excelsior - Ultima Online free shard
>www.uoex.net/
>Home of UO Excelsior Freeshard. PvM, no PK, dueling possible. Tons of customs, weekly updates, events...

>no PK,
im no grieffer, in fact i dont even have a PK char, but this is just trammy scum, you cant compete at idoc, champion spawn or event if you cant attack competitors, whats the point, might as well play single player and upload highscores to compete with other single players
>>
>>4023280
Yeah basically. It's there for when I'm feeling like a casual...

>>4023265
I actually got it working with a different link I found on their site that was an exe instead of a zip file. Been a while since I played pre-aos, I'm pretty excited
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.