[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obscure T-RPGs:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: black matrix.jpg (47KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
black matrix.jpg
47KB, 640x360px
So I've played the big ones: Tactics Ogre, FFT, Front Mission. What about the other ones? Are they worth playing? A lot of these came out late in the system's life, and I read about them in magazines, but I never played them.

>Saiyuki: Journey West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lPfsmrZ2lk

>Vandal Hearts 1&2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw365-xN1_E

>Hoshigama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BQpsnfLfY

>Black/Matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7RJKJSZCI

Any others?
>>
>>4014036

Black/Matrix series never got translated. They seem to be something about angels. Might be Disgaea before there was Disgaea.

Far as I can tell this is how the games work:

>1. Black Matrix. PS1/Saturn.
Gets two enhanced ports.

>Black Matrix AD (Dreamcast)
>Black Matrix + (Playstation)

Confused? A little. Not sure which is the best version.

>2. Black Matrix II - PS2

>3. Black matrix Zero - GBA

>4. Black Matrix 00 - PS1

The last game in the series, is a 2004 PS1 game, which is a remake of the GBA game. I think this is the ONly example where a GBA game is remade for the Playstation, or that a PS1 game comes out after a PS2 game in the series.
>>
>>4014036
Well, Hoshigami seems to have been popular enough to have gotten a "Remix" on the DS, so there's that.

Vandal Hearts II's simultaneous turns add another layer of planning/complexity, which I found to be interesting. Probably not for everyone, though.

>Any others?
The FEDA series, the first of which (on SNES) got translated (and later ported to the Saturn).

TearRing Saga, by Kaga Shōzō, who was involved in the early Fire Emblem games.

Faselei! is neither obscure (and probably a "holy grail" for most NGPC owners), nor part of a franchise. It's got a couple of interesting gameplay systems (including a similar simultaneous turn system), and some replay incentive.
Sacnoth (later Nautilus), the developer also made Koudelka on the PS1, and the Shadow Hearts series.
>>
>>4014036
PS1 had a bunch of FFT-knockoffs, so you'll find a lot of them there. Eternal Eyes, Kartia: The Word of Fate. Kartia is noteworthy for having artwork drawn by Amano, normally associated with Final Fantasy.

There's also more strategy focused games like Master of Monsters, games with the grid but not exactly the same combat like other NISA titles: Soul Nomad, Phantom Brave. And there are also games like Rhapsody or Popolocrois, which are purely typical JRPGs but go into the grid combat for fights.
>>
is the psp version of tactics ogre any good?
>>
>>4014135
It's even better than the original.
>>
I remember when saiyuki came out. I was working at "software etc." good times.

vanguard bandits -ps1
iron storm -Saturn
romance of the 3 kingdoms 8 (my fav) -ps2
dark wizard -sega cd
warsong -genesis
shingen the ruler -nes (underrated and cheap)
gemfire -nes best version
liberty or death -snes
>>
>>4014234
No it isn't
>>
>>4014292
Dark Wizard...the hours I wasted on that game. I loved finding the easy exploits to level up units quickly. Of all the endings, Crystal's is by far the best, though the best scene of all if Amon's when he gets "home".
>>
>>4014292
Also, Iron Storm...got me into loving WW2 games. Love that Germany vs India scenario (hello Ta163's). I have the two other Advanced Dysenraku (spelling) games for Saturn as well.
>>
>>4014307
yeah iron storm is a great turn based game for its time. more people should've played it. I only bothered to give it a try when I saw working designs as the publisher because I was big into lunar, dragon force and albert odyssey at that time.
>>
I used to obssess over Black Matrix so much, the games' setting really captivated me. Didn't finish a single game though, mainly because the series was already dead when I got into it and I played way too many SRPGs back then and gradually lost interest in them.
>>
>>4014320

Tell me about Black Matrix. All this shit is in Jap Runes, so I don't even know what it's about. Seems to be Disgaea before Disgaea. How off is that?
>>
vandal hearts 2 has a pretty neat spin on turn based combat imo
>>
>>4014036
Vandal Hearts 1 is a great game. VH2 I didn't like because the combat was weird. I got frustrated with Hoshigami due to perma-death and no way to revive characters and all new recruits starting off at level 1.
>>
>>4014036
>>Hoshigama:

Hoshigami you retard. Say it with me: ほしがみ

Fuck you
>>
>>4014472
You pathetic weeb
>>
>>4014472
It's actually 星神 you filthy casual
>>
>>4014303
Yes it is.
>>
>>4014036
There's Legend of Kartia, if you'd play absolutely anything. Be warned; it put me off and kept me off SRPGs for years afterwards. Finally getting around to playing FFT was a real "Oh, the wasted years" moment.
>>
>>4014135
>retarded system where new classes start at level 1
>new recruits magically lose their coolest spells, summons and 6 skills once they join you
>tedious crafting system
>no training mode
>no permadeath makes the game even easier
>chariot is literally a rewind button
>insane requirements to unlock post game content
>have to do dungeons in one go or your progress is lost if you decide to leave them

on the other hand
>classes are more customizable
>can avoid and escape from random battles
>anyone can recruit enemy units with the right skill, not just denim

it's a mixed bag honestly
>>
File: PEG flesh wounds.jpg (136KB, 1024x466px) Image search: [Google]
PEG flesh wounds.jpg
136KB, 1024x466px
>>4014036
Vandals Hearts 1 +2 , Nectaris, Military Madness, Langrisser Series(minus the 3rd one which is RTS)
>>
>>4014691
Damn, I had no clue how different it was. Pity I found it too tedious to really get into as a game anyhow.

Also
>insane requirements to unlock post game content

Such as? I'm intrigued.
>>
>>4014685
It's playable to me but the plox of Kartia is boring as shit.
>Muh tree cards
>>
>>4014036
Vandal Hearts 1 is superfun. VH2 feels broken.

I saw somewhere in /vr/ that the computer cheats in both games.
>>
>>4014135
it's damn different.
i actually enjoyed it on the whole more than the original.
>>
>>4014706
I don't think it would all fit in one post so here's a link

https://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/faqs/63915
>>
File: 17048405_p0.jpg (49KB, 240x344px) Image search: [Google]
17048405_p0.jpg
49KB, 240x344px
>vandal hearts
>that level with the insane villagers
i'll get back to playing one day
>>
>>4014740
>I saw somewhere in /vr/ that the computer cheats in both games.

Of cose they cheat. Retro AI has always been bad except maybe Quake & Unreal games. Fanmods made them cheat even moar just for muh "improved" AI.
>>
>>4014513
>Hans' ji
Dirty commie chinks.
>>
>>4014036

J:
>YuYu Hakusho Tournament Tactics
>Onimusha Tactics
>Jeanne D'Arc
>Bahamut Lagoon (fun fact: its codename during production was Final Fantasy Tactics until Matsuno got hired to do the real finalized FFT)
>Suikoden Tactics
>Der Langrisser
>Shining Force 2
>Arc the Lad
>Sakura Wars

W:
>Fallout Tactics
>Jagged Alliance 2
>Ultima 3
>Freedom Force

There are a lot of Western ones that have tactical turn-based gameplay but fit more neatly into the genetic umbrella of CRPG/computer RPG, so that's why the second list looks lean. You might enjoy Fallout 2 and X-com for this reason but I'd feel uncomfortable describing them as TRPGs.
>>
File: SLPS-01297+SLPS-01298.jpg (53KB, 502x512px) Image search: [Google]
SLPS-01297+SLPS-01298.jpg
53KB, 502x512px
>>4014036
Pic related, Guardian Recall on PS1
Moonrunes-only, but doable.

Also look at Monstania, Ball Bullet Gun and Jutei Senki, all on SFC/SNES, translated by Aeon Genesis.

>>4014292
>Vanguard Bandits
Interesting, but "translated" by Farting Designs.

>Warsong
Actually Langrisser I, so it's also probably worth looking for a re-translation.

Der Langrisser (the SNES version of Langrisser II) was also translated, so that's worth looking at, too.
>>
File: 37602-ingame-Hexamoon-Guardians.png (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
37602-ingame-Hexamoon-Guardians.png
64KB, 640x480px
Hexamoon Guardians - Mecha TRPG for the PSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mmWCHO9naY

(There's no footage on Youtube that actually got to the battle parts)

The TRPG parts aren't really something that's worth playing for on its own without knowledge of Japanese since it's so simple. It's more like Sakura Taisen where you're playing it for the characters in that regards.
>>
File: Tearringsaga_boxart.png (385KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
Tearringsaga_boxart.png
385KB, 400x396px
>>4014036
Tear Ring Saga (Japan-only), the best retro Fire Emblem.
>>
Brigandine I think the game was called for PS1
I remember it was pretty unique
>>
>>4014740
>I saw somewhere in /vr/ that the computer cheats in both games.
In VH2 if you use savestates you can see that the computer picks its move after you do.
>>
energy breaker
>>
What's the difference between a SRPG and a TRPG game?
>>
>>4014757
Could you please sumarize one? I don't want to get spoiled.
>>
>>4014120
>Eternal Eyes
I beat this when I was younger and was meaning to come back to it. I remember it being fun to see what kind of cool monsters you could get/evolve them to.
>>
>>4015846
going through a 100 floor dungeon three times is one of them
>>
>>4015843
same as the difference between strategy and tactics.
>>
>>4014327
The only thing they have in common is that both have angels and demons and there is also makai and tenkai, that's all.
In the first game demons won a war and angels were enslaved. Their descendants, black-winged and white-winged people, live in a world where the 7 deadly sins are reversed, with love being the worst among them, and slavery system is pretty harsh. MC is a white-winged slave who was thrown in prison because his master/mistress fell in love with them. He breaks out with other prisoners and they try to change the world or something. A lot of characters have Biblical names. I liked the first game the most, but it was pretty hard, so I gave up somewhere in the middle. I think this one is the only one that doesn't have humans/wingless people.
BMOO suppossedly takes place centuries before other games, but I didn't like the story, so I stopped after first 2 or 3 chapters. It was very fun to play though.
Can't say anything about BMII other than it was clunky and the system was different.
Shame there will never be another game. I love Flight-Plan's srpgs, they are the only ones I wouldn't mind replaying someday.
>>
File: file.png (457KB, 1541x802px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
457KB, 1541x802px
>>4015548
>Tear Ring Saga (Japan-only)

This one is fan-translated.
>>
>>4015843
SRPG the actual genre of games fft and tactics ogre are. TRPG is what people call SRPGs when they only played fft.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.