[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it all just a meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

FMV in games, and FMV based games such as Who Shot Johnny Rock, etc. Anyone else fell for this as a kid? CD media just a gimmick?

Also games that used FMV properly? (any platform)
>>
¿Que?
>>
I loved and still love Dragon's Lair and any other well-animated laserdisc style game then I also jonesed hard for JRPGs with anime cutscenes on SCD. When I got the Playstation andthey were fullscreen, hnnnng. Dat Wild Arms attract mode. Playstation was lousy with games that used FMV right but by then they realized the better it blended into the game, the more effective it was as a storytelling tool.
>>
Multimedia was a real thing, the early to mid 90s was all about "interactivity" and the obvious end goal was "Interactive Movies"

Only people in 1000 years will truly say if it was misguided or not
>>
>>4012776
>end goal was "Interactive Movies"
But that's what many games are now. The difference is that animated movies became more culturally accepted and 3D graphics don't look like vibrating triangles anymore.
>>
>>4012884
That's where he's going, implying implications about modern "cinematic" games but we should probably try to stick to no later than the 90s and, like Metal Gear Solid n shit
>>
>>4012739
Fmw are the reason sony ps1 sold. Plus voice overs and cd playing.
>>
Harvester, A Bard's Tale, phantasmagoria, nighttrap, Goosebumps Escape from HorrorLand
>>
>>4012739
Sewer Shark came with my Sega CD and I tried to tell myself it was good, but man it wasn't. I did beat it though so that says something.
>>
>>4012920
It was developed for Hasbro's VHS based FMV game system which says a lot about why it is the way it is. I think Night Trap too and so by extension Double Switch and a bunch of those trap-the-guy games are extremely simple gameplay-wise. Actually a step back from Laserdisc (and in video quality too obviously)
>>
Wing Commander III/IV had great FMVs
>>
File: modern gaming.jpg (622KB, 1280x1773px) Image search: [Google]
modern gaming.jpg
622KB, 1280x1773px
Aw yiss nigger, FMV thread.

Why were those so fucking shit? The idea itself isn't awful, but the execution was terrible.
>>
>>4013023
>Rob Schneider is....some FMV guy!
>>
>>4012884
It wasn't so much "culturally accepted" and more "way fucking cheaper and looks a million times better for a faction of the price of having 5 bit-tv actors on a post-apocalypse set in someone's garage"
>>
>>4013023
I own this game
>seamless 15 fps
>>
I rather liked the FMVs in RoadRash, I just wish they didn't make the color look like shit. Wish EA had the original footage, if they released RoadRash on Steam with hires fmv (and hi res audio), i'd buy it.
>>
>>4013101
>the color look like shit

just shit taste
>>
>>4013108
I don't know if it was because of a technical reason the color was tweaked the way it was, or if it was trying to be 'cool' .. It certainly didn't 'minimize' any of the digital artifacts , it looked even worse on SegaCD. At least on playstation it used MPEG1(MDEC) which was better than 3DO's cinepak, but still....I wish they didn't fuck with the color
>>
>>4012739
I still think FMV is pretty cool. I can see why it failed, but then you get games like Star Trek starfleet academy that is practically a movie and game in one, with some 'decent' acting
>>
>>4013035
>>4013023
>>4013089
>funnyman
>>
>>4013131
Well there are obviously decent fmvs , particularly someone mentioned the Wing Commander series. I also kinda like the fmv in Offworld Interceptor since it is done in a MST style. However it just doesn't hold up after so many years.
>>
no one mentions command and conquer?

jesus fucking christ.

its FMV's literally tell the whole story and drive the game. imagine C&C without the FMV's, it would a lifeless nothing of a game series.
>>
>>4013023
>Why were those so fucking shit?

Because if you know how to make a game you don't make it a movie and if you know how to make a movie you don't make it a game.
>>
OK, what about Fox Hunt - what is everyone's opinion on that (((masterpiece)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lVNDgSvWc
>>
also Psychic Detective?
>>
File: pix-02-Silpheed.jpg (53KB, 640x240px) Image search: [Google]
pix-02-Silpheed.jpg
53KB, 640x240px
>>4012739
I think use FMV be background is future of 2d game.
>>
>>4012920
The acting and writing were fun. It had that early 90s sci fi vibe while also being C movie quality. Ghost hams it up just right.

The gameplay and music were atrocious.

Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!!
>>
>>4013275

I loved Sewer Shark personally, decent shooter with a funny script and creative setting.
>>
>>4013143
This

Fucking this

Hating FMV IS the meme. It reminds me of when America collectively decided to hate disco. What a meme thing to do.
>>
>>4013218
More like you thought using FMV backgrounds would be 2D games future.
>>
>>4013143
Yes, a long time ago, I had a bootleg of Red Alert 2 which doesn't have the live action FMVs.

A few years later, I bought an official copy and the FMVs blew me away, even if it was past the golden age of FMVs.

>>4013453
This.
FMV is still very great to this day.
>>
>>4013626
>>4013453
It's easy to have your opinion ruined when you suffer through some bad FMV or find the shortcommings of the format, but then there's always stuff like Westwood's FMVs which really added to the game.
>>
>>4013453
>liking disco
>>
>>4012739

It kinda works for stuff like Wing Commander III-V, Terra Nova: Strikeforce Centauri, Blade Runner, Privateer 2 and the like.

I'm not saying it's good, or that I wouldn't prefer high quality CG or even a high quality animated cinematic, but considering where CG and 3D were at the time (and the expense of hand drawn cells)... I'll take 'em. They have their charm.
>>
>>4012739
>NiGHT TRAP
>>
loved me some Under a Killing Moon
>>
>>4012761
>lousy
? What are you trying to say?
>>
>>4014142
>It's easy to have your opinion ruined when you suffer through some bad FMV or find the shortcommings of the format

I don't see the problem? A lot of the CG cinematics of the time have not aged well
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.