[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultima Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Ultima5.jpg (145KB, 639x401px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima5.jpg
145KB, 639x401px
What's your favorite game from the undeniably best RPG series of all time?

Also does anyone know whether there's a good sourceport of Ultima 5 yet? Something like xu4 would be cool (with music and everything), but I haven't found anything.
>>
There was an attempt but it got stuck in the early stages.
http://nu5.sourceforge.net/
Obviously there's Lazarus but that's pretty much a different game.
>>
I have this condition that compels me to play every game series chronologically, form the first installment. That's why I'll never get into Ultima.
>>
File: 612px-Lothar35.png (723KB, 612x599px) Image search: [Google]
612px-Lothar35.png
723KB, 612x599px
>>4012250
>undeniably best RPG series of all time
>>
>>4012294
Plenty of people have done that for Ultima, myself included. Excluding Online of course.
>>
>>4012250

Get the Upgrade patch!

http://exodus.voyd.net/projects/ultima5/

>Original Apple II / Commodore 128 musical score
>Music during Introduction & Endgame (not in original!)
>Amiga music during Character Creation (not in original!)
>The ability to exit the game (using CTL-E) at the Main Menu.
>The ability to exit the game after the endgame sequence (or even the “bad” endgame).
>>
Pagan. Come at me.
>>
File: u3mod-4-gem.png (32KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
u3mod-4-gem.png
32KB, 640x400px
>>4013145
I just realized the website is still alive and the guy is modding Ultima 3 so that it uses the same map as Ultima 1.
>>
What is the best way to play Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 on a modern computer ? DosBox ? Or is there a working sourceport ?
>>
>>4014251
Probably.
There were Japanese computer ports but they seem identical aside from the language.
The PS1 port is also more of a curiosity.
>>
>>4012250
>undeniably
>what is Gothic
>what is Fallout
>what is TES
>what is....

>inb4 personal preference "argument"
>>
>>4014264
We could say retro series.
There aren't many that got over a dozen entries and conveniently stopped right before 2000.
>>
I was introduced at Ultima 5 and loved it. 4 was alright, didn't care for 6 (aside from Sherry the mouse!). 5 to me is the best just in the way everything worked.
>>
>>4014020

That... could work.
I have a sudden urge to built Ultima I in minecraft. wait, the space travel stuff wouldn't work. Ultima II? too many maps. hrm.
>>
>>4012250
>undeniably best RPG series of all time

So why isn't this a Persona thread?
>>
>Read about Ultima 4 in Nintendo Power
>looked interesting as hell
>keep hearing about Ultima games
>gog does free giveaway thingie
>finally got PC version of Ultima 4, time to try this shit!
>I can't fucking stand the combat system
The later games have a different combat system, right? Cause I can't get down with this. Anyone who complains about the length of battles in FF9 has obviously never played Ultima 4.
>>
>What's your favorite game from the undeniably best RPG series of all time?

Crusaders of the Dark Savant
>>
>>4015242
The combat mainly drags on when you're in a dungeon or enemies keep spamming sleep.

Combat in 3 is similar to 4 though there are no obstacles.
5 has free targeting instead of straight lines.
6 has battles take place directly on the map and you set your party members to several AI patterns.
7 is real time with no control.
8 is clicking monsters to death.
>>
>>4014309
Is V better than VII? How do they compare?
>>
>>4015940
V is pure turn-based. Combat (and sometimes even overworld movement) in VII can turn into a dog's breakfast on the screen in some edge cases.
V has one atomic unit for movement each turn. VII has following AI for your companions that can make some weird decisions. It could be 30 seconds of walking through a crowded scene before I notice that one of my companions left, got stuck, or picked a fight.
>>
>>4016216
What about in terms of world, freedom, plot, exploration, characters, secrets?
>>
>>4016234
I think the only aspect where 5 really loses to 7 are the characters since your companions stay silent once they have joined.
7 has crafting but it's more of a gimmick.
Plot and world is a strong point for both but the exploration in 7 is really hampered by the engine.
>>
U7 was by far the most fun for me to play but I played it in the exult engine which - while staying true mostly to the original - comes with many additional comfort features. hence I loved the engine and the really immersive felt and never felt like i was bogged down by gameplay as in the earlier ultimas. exploring and discovering things and just dicking around the world was incredible fun.

honestly one of the best rpg experiences i have ever had
>>
>>4017476
>never felt like i was bogged down by gameplay as in the earlier ultimas.
Not even when you had to stack crates to create stairs?
>>
>>4018630
That's optional n black gate. Serpent isle forces you to make at least two
>>
>>4015242
Magic axe solves all Ultima combat problems
>>
>>4018656
That was always my favorite weapon.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.