[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mother 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Mother_boxart.png (30KB, 329x225px) Image search: [Google]
Mother_boxart.png
30KB, 329x225px
I want to start playing the mother series. What's the best version of the first game? The NES one or the fan translated version on GBA?
>>
The original Famicom release without translation.
>>
>>4012073
i don't know chinese
>>
>>4012068
I have no experience myself, but apparently the fan translation was handled by some dude who works with anime and game translations for a living. So you have a choice of 90's professional translation vs 10's professional translation. It's apples to apples, really.
>>
>>4012068
I think the GBA version has the non censored cigarette smoking crow baddies, probably other censored stuff too if that is important. RPG Limit break just had this game and runners have streamlined it enough that even I kind of want to pick it up for another playthrough.
>>
File: 1494910305477.jpg (352KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1494910305477.jpg
352KB, 900x675px
>>4012068
Depends, these are the two best options in my opinion.

GBA fantranslation with color restoration patch: This is the fan translation that gives a more accurate script. However when ported to the GBA the sound, screensize, and color were changed to comply with the system's limitations. There does exist a patch that restores color to it's original version but the sound and screensize still suffer.

NES with fantranslation: This is the fan translation on an NES rom. This would be the ideal version but it has a catch. The NES is much more limited in it's script size. Due to this most dialouge had to be reduced or left unaltered. However the color, sound, and screensize all are theor original version.
>>
>>4012150
>GBA fantranslation with color restoration patch
Is there any way to buy this as a repro with all the patches? Or will I need a flash cart?
>>
>>4013264
Probably a flash cart if you wanted the color patch as well. I imagine repos exist but none with the color patch as well.

To be honest repos are kind of a scummy practice in my personal opinion. You shouldn't pay someone to put a rom on a cart. If you have one a psp plays gba perfectly and is piss easy to hack.

Hope this helps, if you're still curious about something feel free to ask.
>>
>>4013276
What are the best GBA flash carts?
>>
>>4013306
The most well known is the EZ Flash IV. Been awhile but I believe they go for around $40. Look around online.

Personally I think a psp is a better deal. More expensive but it emulates a lot of stuff and is very easily accessible. Though if you want to play gba on gba then that's you.
>>
GBA with fan translation. The sound is a little bit worse off but not terrible, while the script is tons better.
>>
The music for this game is some of the most beautiful music ive heard in my entire life. this games version of snowman is inescapable.
>>
>>4013306
what he says >>4013314
only games that don't seem to work are Mother 3 and Yggdra Union (and a few that uses sensors) but everything else seems fine, you easily find them for €20 - 30
>>
25 year edition
>>
File: 32zkocj_trans.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
32zkocj_trans.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
>>4012148
>I think the GBA version has the non censored cigarette smoking crow baddies, probably other censored stuff too
The GBA version in Mother 1+2 is censored, it's straight out of the unreleased american prototype with the extended ending (original Japanese Mother has the ending credits on mt. itoi after Gyiyg's mothership leaves), mother 1+2 was the first time japanese players saw the full ending on Mother 1 (and this is why many thought Teddy was dead in Japan, until they played this version).
The Mother 2 port on GBA is completely uncensored though.

If you want to play Mother 1 for the first time I'd recommend the NES proto, on GBA the screen ratio is smaller, sound is thinner, although it does have one advantage: the run button on the GBA version works without speeding up the NPCs on the map. The run button on the NES proto makes all the NPCs move quickly, the original japanese Mother on famicom didn't have a run button.
>>
Is the Everdrive GBA X5 worth the extra cost over the EZ Flash IV ?
>>
I like the 25th anniversary edition myself, though people around here will fight me on that.

I just like the graphical improvements and the grinding reduction, though it does nothing to make Mt. Itio balanced.
>>
>>4015008
I can't stomach the square trees on the 25th hack, and overall it looks worse, the original has a lot more charm. My opinion anyway.

>mt. itoi
You can escape all battles with 100% effectivity with Ninten's 4th d-slip.
>>
>>4015013

Maybe it's just because I played MOTHER 2 first, but I thought the battle sprites looked a lot more in line with the series Aesthetic.

The overworld is a mixed bag, I'll give you the square trees.

As for 4th D slip, I guess that's true but I'm trying to conserve my PSI for the battle with Giygas.
>>
>>4012068
Dont play the GBA version.
The games are connected even if it doesnt look like it at first is one continuous story, nothing in this game is random, from enemy placement to which PSI each character learns it all has a meaning in the story, this series has a lot of backstory that you have to figure out by yourself piecing stuff together.
Or you can just play it and pretend is just about some silly alien and fat kid and random humor like most people do.
>>
>>4015350
It's not that deep.

The villains are recurring, but the stories, for the most part, are very self contained.
>>
File: IMG_2028.jpg (47KB, 499x507px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2028.jpg
47KB, 499x507px
>doesn't use Wii U Eshop
>>
>>4014997

yes emulators are built into the firmware
>>
File: World of MOTHER.jpg (155KB, 540x382px) Image search: [Google]
World of MOTHER.jpg
155KB, 540x382px
>>4013925
Mother 3 runs beautifully on my psp, might be your emulator. Only thing I remember not getting to run exactly right is boktai.
>>4014913
The fan translation uncensored everything though.
>>4015008
Mt. Itoi isn't even that hard. The gang members you can fight in Valentine's Day can drop flamethowers for Loid and be fought repeatedly. Stock up on flamethowers and by this point Ana should have multiple multi hit PK moves.
>>4015376
The sandhop translation is pretty shit. I get it was made over 25 years ago but with a game series known for its writing there is no reason to play that version.
>>
>>4015350
>Dont play the GBA version.
Why tho
It has a better script
>>
>>4013314
>>4015525
What emulators do you use for your PSP?
>>
>>4012068
Unmodified NES Prototype is the definitive version. GBA port is truly terrible.
>>
>>4016794
GBA port has a better script.
>>
>>4016794
>unmodified NES prototype
What's "unomidified" means? That it doesn't have "Zero" on the title screen?

The GBA port isn't terrible, it just has the usual problems GBA ports have: smaller screen ratio, worse sound. It's still playable and actually has one advantage over any other version, which is the fixed run button.
>>
>>4016803
I'll take the official localization over a fan-translation tethered to a bad port.
>>
>>4016816
But the "Zero" version is just the original game with just "Zero" slapped on the title screen. IIRC, it was because the guy who dumped the ROM didn't want people to get confused with Earthbound (Mother 2).
But other than that, the game doesn't gimp the difficulty unless you use the fan-made easy patch.

Unless you're meaning the original japanese Mother for Famicom, which has some dungeons and parts of the game designed differently (more confusing, more dead ends), no run button, and incomplete ending sequence.

And yeah maybe the run button is negligible, but it's cool to be able to use the run button without having to see all the other NPCs go crazy. It's nice they went and fixed that. Anyway what's funny is that the run button was supposedly a debug thing NoA added to the proto, then they decided to leave it (but they didn't fix the NPCs' speed). When Nintendo of Japan ported Mother 1 to GBA in 2003, they included said run function and fixed the NPCs, as well as adding the full ending that was missing from the original japanese release.

And yeah I also recommend playing the NES version, I played EB Zero (without easy patch) and it was fine. But the GBA port is still playable, it's not "terrible" (like Sonic 1 port on GBA)
>>
>>4016829
Sorry for the deleted post; I was under the impression that the 'Zero' version gives double XP. The GBA port is certainly playable, but I personally wouldn't recommend a fan-translation over an actual finished product that has now been officially released. Also the music is really a killer for me, because the music in the NES/FC version is so incredible.
>>
>>4016821

>translation that was done in the early 90s and rewritten in places to coincide with early nintendo censorship policies
>better than the work of a hardcore fan that faithfully translated everything and left the script unmolested

Sounds like you didn't even try the GBA patched version honestly.
>>
>>4016829
Can't you just look the complete ending up after playing the game?
>>
>>4016861
> Censored and rushed "official" translation that 90's Nintendo didn't even like enough to publish
> Uncensored, lovingly crafted, critically acclaimed "fan" translation done by one of the most well-respected professional translators in gaming and anime
> The first one is better because it's official.

This is how some people actually think.
>>
>>4016740
https://m.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gameboy_Advance_Emulators/PSP/31
>>4016861
>>4016881
That guy is a fucking idiot, ignore him. He comes here every M1 thread saying dumb shit like that playing the fan translation is "fake" and that you "didn't actually play the game". I get Sandhop probably had shitty work conditions when making it but Tomato's translation is proffesional and accurate. Sandhop also has said he made certain changes just because, like the town name changed as he felt the holidays as names "were childish" to him.

The ultimate version would be Tomato's full translation on the nes rom. Sadly I don't believe this exists as the nes rom has less space for its script meaning the game itself would need to hacked to allow for a bigger script.
>>
>>4016861
I did, it's a miserable port that a good fan-translation doesn't magically make better than the NES/FC version.
>>4016881
Everyone knows they didn't publish it because it no one would by an NES RPG after the SNES had already come out, it had nothing to do with how they 'liked' it. If they weren't proud of it it would never have been released on Virtual Console.
>>4016907
'That guy' must have really hit a nerve. Play the real game or play a shitty port with the easy ring, it's not a hard choice. The translation is irrelevant when the port sucks. Tomato's work is great, but his translation of MOTHER is not the definitive version, it literally can't be, regardless of its quality.
>>
File: mothereb.png (2KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
mothereb.png
2KB, 256x224px
>>4016869
Yeah, but with the EB0 prototype and the fan-translation of M1+2, very few people in the west played the original Famicom ver.
There is an uncensored romhack, which I believe is the GBA fan-translation, but that's still the version with the changed dungeons, run button and complete ending.
>>
>>4017140
But it is. Tomato's script is better, therefore there is no reason to play the sandhop version.
>>
>>4017140
>Tomato's translation is better but it can never be the "definitive" version because it's not official
That's dumb. Don't be dumb.
>>
>>4017390
Sandhop's is also great, I don't get the hate-boner for it.
>>4017423
I mean, it may be dumb but it's true. A 'definitive' version of a game can't be the worst version of the game with the best localization. Gameplay, sound, and visuals are all equally important to a game. The music is the most important part of M1 to me, so it greatly impacts how I feel about the GBA version. I greatly respect Tomato, I follow the guy on Twitter, I read his blogs, I've played his M3 patch numerous times. He's a rad dude, and his M1 translation is great, but the GBA version of the game is straight-up compromised, which is no fault of Mato's or his translation.
>>4016907
Also I actually am that guy, and you're misquoting me, hombre. I said one hasn't actually played the game if they play with a version/patch/item that alters the difficulty, which is absolutely true, regardless of which platform you're playing on.
>>
>>4017486
>The music is the most important part of M1 to me
>to me
Not all of us are you.

Your being civil though so all I will say is I disagree with your statement. The mother series is known for it's writing, Itoi is a professional after all. To play the game without a proper script is, I feel, an inferior experience. I do love the music of the game, and it does suck it took a bit of a hit in the port, but I stil stand by my statement that the gba version is still, as of now, the best version.

The actual best version, as I said in an earlier post. would be the nes version with tomato's script. However the nes is much more limited in it's script size, this is why tomato worked on the gba version and not the nes version. Hopefully someday a proper hack is made.
>>
>>4017542
I understand that, and I do appreciate your civility, but I really don't think Sandhop's work is 'improper' either. I think it's of its time, certainly, but it's pretty exceptional for the time, and the constraints it was working within. That said, ROMs can be expanded and it is probably feasible to have Mato's script in the NES version if someone savvy was inclined to do so. Playing both seems like a fair compromise at this point. Thanks for the discussion, this is why I like /vr/.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.