[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Point & Click Adventures/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 25

File: monkey-island-1.jpg (223KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
monkey-island-1.jpg
223KB, 1280x1024px
What have you been playing recently? Recommend hidden gems. Discuss the genre that is coming back.
>>
The genre is coming back in a bad way, all the modern point and clicks have terrible or non-existant puzzles.
>>
>>4010175
I'm guybrush threepwood, mighty pirate!!
>>
File: 1378811174491-img_b1.jpg (30KB, 384x496px) Image search: [Google]
1378811174491-img_b1.jpg
30KB, 384x496px
Anyone played Lost in Time back in the day?
I remember playing but never got to finish it. I recently found out that the ending was it was all a dream, fade to black twist
I would like to revisit it if possible
>>
ask me about Loom
>>
>>4010340
I enjoyed the Tim Schaffer lucasarts games, should I try Loom?
>>
File: 1813810-cobb.jpg (16KB, 320x291px) Image search: [Google]
1813810-cobb.jpg
16KB, 320x291px
>>4010415
no, it's shit
>>
>>4010415
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1aVDael-KM
>>
File: ihavenomouth.png (515KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
ihavenomouth.png
515KB, 600x450px
iv been playing I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream, considering playing Harvester. anyone tried it?
>>
>>4011589
>aying I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream, considering playing Harvester.

I've watched Retsupurae play it, that game is fucking bonkers
>>
I bought the secret of Monkey Island (pc), escape from monkey island (pc) and prince of persia sands of time (ps2) for 5€ today.
>>
>>4010175
Anybody have recommendations for Adventure games without Dead ends? I have no problem with deaths, but its the dead ends (unwinnable state) that bug me most
>>
>>4012067
all the lucasarts stuff obviously

IHNMAIMS was like that too if I remember right
>>
>>4010175
Toon Struck is not well known but it was a fun game back then imo.
>>
>>4011609
Their wimpy overreaction to the rape ruined that LP for me. OH GEEZ BETTER ACT OFFENDED HERE.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>>4010234

The most recent Point & Click that I've played is Fran Bow, and that was great. Right up there with the classics.
>>
File: gemini rue.jpg (53KB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
gemini rue.jpg
53KB, 300x282px
Just checking in to make sure we all agree Gemini Rue is vastly overrated
>>
File: 1495497649626.jpg (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495497649626.jpg
197KB, 1920x1080px
Blade Runner by Westwood Studios

MASSIVELY UNDERRATED. SAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI1TgwtWiqE
>>
>>4012983
Agreed.
Anna's Quest wasn't too bad for a small studio cartoony adventure.
>>
File: beneath.jpg (273KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
beneath.jpg
273KB, 1600x740px
>>4010175
this was really enjoyable fun
>>
Who /wizzard/ of the Unseen University here? Discworld was the shit
>>
>>4013242
>MASSIVELY BUGGY
Really good concept, but lacking in polish.
>>
>>4013242
>Never got that Chinaman to throw boiling water on me
>>
Should I play Snatcher or Policenauts?
Do these count?
>>
File: rotd comic.jpg (311KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
rotd comic.jpg
311KB, 1200x1600px
This had a good Blade Runner vibe to it.
>>
File: ThimbleweedPark-Ray-InsideDiner.png (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ThimbleweedPark-Ray-InsideDiner.png
114KB, 1280x720px
Thimbleweed park!

It fully rebooted my love for point & click adventures.

https://youtu.be/uapiREpWo2Y
>>
File: hax.jpg (519KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hax.jpg
519KB, 1200x1600px
>>4017757
Hate to admit I had to resort to this a few times though...
>>
>>4010415
<ADVERTISMENT>
>>
>>4011589

I played and finished Harvester in a matter of a few days. It had me hooked from beginning to end. The atmosphere it creates is something else.
>>
I really liked modern Blackwell series.

Is HardcoreGaming101 book a good way to learn about hidden pnc gems?
>>
>>4017770

Is that actually the Maniac Mansion mansion, or is that one room just a reference to it?
>>
>>4010237
Did you know it was called guybrush because the original sprite was called guy.brush
>>
>>4012067
The longest journey is great
>>
File: GabrielKnightBoxArt.jpg (50KB, 435x530px) Image search: [Google]
GabrielKnightBoxArt.jpg
50KB, 435x530px
I started to play the first Gabriel Knight not too long ago, but I'm now taking a break because I'm stuck. So far I've made it all by myself without any walkthroughs, but now I'm tempted to take a peek because I have no clue what the fuck to do.

I'm at the part where the old lady lets me bless her snake bracelet. No idea what to do. Maybe someone could give me a small hint? One word of a nudge to the right direction?
>>
File: sorry dude.jpg (43KB, 342x246px) Image search: [Google]
sorry dude.jpg
43KB, 342x246px
>>4017757
I've planning to play this one for a while now. I learned about this game when I was really getting into retro PC gaming few years ago. I made this reaction image back in 2013 when I saw some gameplay video of it.
>>
>>4017770
The ending, the SJW character and all the shoehorned in kickstarter patron references hampered the experience, but the gameplay and graphics were classic Lucasarts.
>>
File: white again.png (84KB, 642x512px) Image search: [Google]
white again.png
84KB, 642x512px
>>4010415
I played Loom for the first time few months ago after hearing about it for years, and it was kinda disappointment. It's not funny or charming like Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion, the puzzles are shit, characters are annoying, and the plot is not LucasArts whimsical neither serious enough to be interesting to follow.
All the puzzles are the simon says type of sound based mini games.

I also made the mistake of choosing the hardest difficulty because I thought it would be like in Monkey Island 2 where you can choose the puzzle difficulty, but then it turned out that the hard setting only meant missing HUD, so you needed to play every puzzle by ear.
>>
File: spiderman sinister six.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman sinister six.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
I just remembered this thing exists. I don't know if this counts as pure point'n'click adventure, but it has some of the adventure game elements. Even as a kid I understood this was a shit game. Or maybe it's a good game and I just sucked at it, but the gameplay looks just as dull as I remembered. The animation is kinda nice, but the gameplay itself is just basic minigame tier shit.
Also those sound effects...
>*spider-man swings by*
>KHEEEEEEEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH33n_zcQa4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBhhXJH1Khs Here is an interesting gem. There is only 1 gameplay video on youtube that i know of. The aesthetic reminds me of stuff I've seen as a kid.
>>
>>4020964
Eh... Quest For Glory is full of combat and other mini games and is still considered a point and click so why not
>>
>>4020917
The same part was where I got stuck first and had to look up a hint. But later on I had to use a real walkthrough a few times.

Explore the nature, you missed picking up one stupid 'object'. As soon as you find it, it will become obvious.
>>
File: KGB-Box_Art.jpg (54KB, 263x329px) Image search: [Google]
KGB-Box_Art.jpg
54KB, 263x329px
It can be very hard, but it's also really well-done and has a great soundtrack.

I love the setting and the semi-real time aspect of the game.
>>
>>4020934
>not funny or charming like Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion
Agree to disagree. The game is a dry commentary on fantasy tropes and the stagnation in free trade that unions create.
>>
>>4010415
Fuck yes. It's fantastic. I wish Brian Moriarty actually wrote more games before completely disappearing into his own ass and publishing a book about video games not being art because they are sometimes shocking.
>>
File: fpgw1.jpg (98KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
fpgw1.jpg
98KB, 640x481px
So, what are some good tex based or semi-text based adventure games? By semi text based I mean games that have graphical interface but you do all the action by text. Frederik Pohl's Gateway, Eric the Unready etc.
I didn't like these games when I was a kid because I had a very short attention span, but as I grew older I started to appreciate literature and then these text adventures as well.

I'm planning to make my own game like this one day when I'm motivated enough. I wonder if anyone would buy a game like that these days?
>>
FudeBrowser - Winnie Cooper (SG-1000) (PD)
>>
Are there any adventures in consoles??
>>
File: stupid invaders.jpg (39KB, 496x498px) Image search: [Google]
stupid invaders.jpg
39KB, 496x498px
>>4024586
These type of games have always been made with mouse and keyboard in their mind, but some of them have found their way to consoles. Monkey Island for sega CD, Broken Sword for ps1, Stupid Invaders for Dreamcast, and Syberia for Xbox.
>>
>>4024586
There's a pretty sweet Scooby Doo graphic adventure on the Mega Drive. I haven't played it, but I've heard only good things
>>
>>4014773

My all time favourite right there.
>>
>>4010415
I remember liking it. Just don't play it on hard unless you can memorize music notes.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>4020917
>>4021650
Oh my god, I just started playing it and I was stuck on that too and ended up looking it up. There's an item you don't have that you're unlikely to try picking up. You can find it at the crime scene by the lake.

Did anyone else get stuck trying to open the clock in the attic? I ended up looking up the solution for that one too. Then I took a break because I was bummed from needing so many hints.
>>
File: Underground-Gamer_tab01.png (243KB, 1140x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Underground-Gamer_tab01.png
243KB, 1140x1046px
I have a 486DX4 machine with Windows 98 installed. I only have 4GBs left on the hard disk and I intend to use 3GBs (1GB slack for ever growing .swp file) for DOS games. I anticipate most of that space will be used up by old DOS point & click adventures, especially the CD-ROM versions.

The space will have to be rationed out wisely. I downloaded the recent 1.9 version of this torrent, and I wonder would/could the talkie versions of Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Kyrandia 1&2, Leisure Suit Larry 6, and Kings Quest 6 work with just all the files extracted to the hard drive or should I just burn them to CD? [I chose those CD-ROM titles as they were my past, but without the CD enhancements, I will also install a few floppy disc point & click adventures I liked too like Leisure Suit Larry 5 and Space Quest 5, but I have to prune away titles due to my 3GB limit]

My 486 system does not have the expandability to add another hard drive so this is all I have at the moment. Also I am trying to win the Roland MT-32 auction to experience these games in an even nicer way please don't outbid me
>>
>>4024912
I got the clock open as soon as I found it. I picked up the hints easily. I hate looking up walkthroughs but GK1 was the game where I had to resort to this, I think, 4 times.
>>
>>4012640
What did you expect from goons?
>>
File: Underground-Gamer_tab02.png (501KB, 1121x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Underground-Gamer_tab02.png
501KB, 1121x1048px
Three days, I had 3 days off work, and all I accomplished was laundry. I so wanted to work on my 486 now that I have the energy after all the resting up, but it is time to sleep and get ready for work so I can afford to play games. I hope to try again next day off, but I am now less optimistic.

Also I am so far away from a Roland MT-32. I will have to settle for Virba 16 sound in my point/click adventures. Continue giving me pointers in setting up my classic computer. I also want to install in the CD talkie Inherit the Earth, but space will become even more restrictive.
>>
File: last_express.jpg (21KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
last_express.jpg
21KB, 500x250px
This one is great
>>
>>4012067
Are there a lot of games with dead ends?
>>
>>4012092

NoMouth had dead ends too
>>
>>4025497
Exchange HDD for SD2IDE.
Swap them like cartridges.
>>
>>4028178
MT-32 isn't too rough to set up.
If you're going to use the MT-32 via the MPU-401/ Gameport, don't use a Vibra Sound Blaster.
use one of these:

CT1730 - SB 16
CT1740 (DSP ≤4.05) - SB 16 CSP
CT1750 (DSP 4.05) - SB 16 Multi-CD CSP
CT1770 (DSP 4.05) - SB 16 SCSI-2

all other sound blasters have a hanging note bug.
>>
>>4029405
For a 486?

Just use a Disk on Module for IDE1 Master, and a rear-panel CF to IDE adapter for IDE1 Slave.

Put the CD drive on IDE2, or attach it to your sound card, if you have one of those old drives (or a sound card with actual IDE).

May take some setup, but that's what I did in my 486. I swap out CF cards for ISO files and disk images, and I have a 4GB DOM for the main drive.
>>
>>4028936
I've been putting off playing that one. I keep thinking it'll be a piece of shit riding some short lived trend like fmv games when CD games became common

I'm wrong then?

>>4028983
Yeah. It's very much the invisible blocks of graphic adventures. Used to be very popular in game design.

>>4029296
Well hush my big gay mouth then.

Simon the Sorcerer shouldn't have any!
>>
>>4023830
Eric the unready is the shit! Gid I loved that game.
Im guessing you've tried the spellcaster games? I've only tried the first one, but it wasn't that great imho. I didnt like the timed events and that fucking maze.
>>
>>4014782
Only the second one, the first one is eay too moon logic. It was actually the game that got me into the books.
Also that lethal weapon parody
>>
>>4029425
Win9x and CF do not mix well. 9x and ME have a habit of bricking cheap CF cards. Most consumer cards lack features to act as a proper IDE drive (compliant boot and bus master support, etc) and windows can't deal. Period industrial cards with the proper features are impossible to find and modern ones cost a goddamn fortune. SD works because they require active electronics and this layer has the benefit of insulating the card from the OS.
>>
>>4012640
>>4025652

YELLOW IS BONERS
YOU'RE GETTIN' THE BANANA
>>
File: Underground-Gamer_tab03.png (489KB, 1116x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Underground-Gamer_tab03.png
489KB, 1116x1046px
>>4029405
I would like to, but sadly the motherboard/controller card only has 1 IDE port, so the master and slave are eaten up by the primary HDD and CD-ROM drive. The floppy connector only has the singular 3.5in drive. The system has no more expandability.

>>4029418
I did not win the eBay auction for the MT-32. Where do all these rich bidders come from. Thanks for the list of good sound cards to look for. I only had the original 8-bit Sound Blaster in the past, so the Virba 16 is an upgrade already.

>>4029425
>>4029794
My 486 system was supposed to be mainly for DOS games. I have seen those CF to IDE available and the seem like a great storage solution, but the system does not have any extra IDE space. I suppose I should just burn the CD-ROM talkie games to play.
>>
No Clock tower?
>>
>>4030426
CF can do master/slave on an adapter and completely replace a mech drive. Works a treat in DOS but is not the most stable thing for Win98 as mentioned here >>4029794
Theoretically a sd2ide adapter could support a master/slave jumper but I've never seen one with that option.

Alternatively you can get a sata-to-ide adapter and use a more modern drive of higher capacity. Just make sure the adapter has a master/slave jumper. Win98SE can handle up to 137GB partitions, or 2TB @ 64K cluster size with an LBA48 patch. And even if your BIOS doesn't support big drives you can get around that with a dynamic disk overlay. That's how I got my 3dfx machine set up with a 1TB SATA drive, threw all the talkies and FMVshit I wanted on it and no-cd cracked them.

You can even use SSDs, although they'd be transfer rate limited by the interface and there's more of a setup (preformat for alignment, and a mighty need for lots of ram so you can disable swap).
>>
>>4030426
>The system has no more expandability.

No PCI/ISA sluts?
>>
I wish I liked adventure games because they often seem to have the absolute best storytelling and characterisation in the medium, but I'm retarded at solving puzzles and have no patience. It's impossible to get through any game without walkthroughs. I mean it's not like I go "oh damn, I should have seen that", I genuinely am completely baffled by solutions to most puzzles I'm stuck on.
Maybe this gets actually interesting when you're old.
>>
>>4030582
People's tastes change with age. Maybe yours will too!

I remember in the Indiana Jones games you could just fist fight your way through puzzles.
>>
>>4014773

STRAYA MATE
>>
>>4029448
>I'm wrong then?
Oh, yes. It's not a typical FMV, and it is so good. Here's some examples might change your mind:
The game is in real-time, with NPCs moving around the train, they have their AI, which is pretty good, there are multiple endings, and you can screw up pretty easily. Also, the story, characters and voice acting are superb.
>>
>>4030582
its a matter of having patience actually. you'll be surprised when a solution comes to your mind a week later, you try it and it works.
been dragging some games for months this way, you really have to take it easy and not stress over solving everything right away.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.