[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone please Redhill me on hardware over emulation. I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Someone please Redhill me on hardware over emulation. I have a bunch of older systems with flash carts and I play them all the time, but any time I boot an emulator, I lose interest in minutes. The only differences really are the fact that the 360 controller has an unspeakably bad dpad and I can't put my pc on my crt without buying some other hardware to do so. Are those really the keys to enjoying it? I suppose at the end of the day, I should just play how I like, but it's just odd to me.
>>
did you not just redpill your self?
>>
Unless you spend some time fiddling with emulation settings, looking for best plugins, dumps, etc, and then yeah there's the setup issue.
As you know retro games were made to be displayed on SD resolutions, so modern screens are a no-go if you go for an authentic setup, so you need a CRT, a PC monitor is fine but if you're playing console games, a TV CRT is better.
Once you do that you have to make sure the emulator is set to display the games at 240p (which most retro games are, at least until 5th gen), the Wii does this automatically, but for example the original Xbox can't. Different emulators on PC have different ways of video setup, so look it up.
Then you need the controller. As you say the 360 controller has a weird d-pad, I don't like it either. You can go for an USB version of some good console pad like the Saturn model 2, but at the same time it's always better to play with the original controller the game was made for, it also adds to the authentic feel, so you'll have to either hunt down USB pads (and you have to be careful because chinese knockoffs are flimsy) or buy an USB adapter for the pads.
In both cases you'll have to check out for the input lag.

Emulating games with the original console controller and on a CRT is virtually the same as playing it on the console, unless there's some issue with a particular game's emulation, sound or visual effect differences, but those are nitpicks.
>>
File: 1481406831030.jpg (19KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481406831030.jpg
19KB, 299x300px
>>4010000
nice quads anon
>>
>>4010000
the repeating numbers offer wisdom
>>
>>4009989
Having access to fast forward and save states are the main problems with emulation.
>>
>>4009989
Don't look to an Internet forum to convince you thay you're fine with "good enough". Satisfaction should come from within.
>>
>>4010118
This, also fucking around with a list of thousands of ROMs instead of focusing in one game
>>
>>4010123
>>4010134
Just don't use those features and don't download a shit ton of roms. Problem solved
>>
>>4010153
Yeah our brain is wired to give up and take the easier path whenever it's presented. Surely you COULD waste 40 minutes of your life replaying a game from the start after a game over but you WON'T because you know you have the option to cheat. You will give in and load a save state.
>>
>>4009989
>I have a bunch of older systems with flash carts and I play them all the time, but any time I boot an emulator, I lose interest in minutes.

Your interest isn't in the games themselves, it's in the idea of them. Next time you're playing on an actual system and thinking you're having fun take a moment to reflect on the situation and really ask yourself what about it you are finding "fun". If what you've said is true, what's giving you that sense of joy isn't the act of playing the game, it's something ancillary.
>>
>>4010169
^this
>>
>>4010193
I think OP just got called a hipster faggot...
>>
>>4011357
I think your reading comprehension level is a literal 2/10
>>
>>4011357
You're an idiot. First off, everyone on vr is a hipster faggot, but that's not what he was saying. He's saying that people who can only enjoy games in a very specific way are OBVIOUSLY not enjoying the game itself. They're enjoying an experience, and the game is a small part of that.

They should examine the whole experience and see which parts are essential to their enjoyment.

Is it the location? The TV? The controller? The console? The routine? Is it a specific combination that triggers nostalgia, or happiness, or regret, or a memory? Are they chasing something? What part of the experience appeals to them? Because the emulator and the console are playing the same fucking game, so if they can play a console for hours but lose interest in seconds when they use an emulator to play the exact same thing, it sure as shit isn't the games that are keeping them interested.
>>
>>4011486
>They should examine the whole experience and see which parts are essential to their enjoyment.

do NOT do this it will ruin games for you.
>>
I actually play my emulated games now that I have controllers for each specific system with exceptions.

SNES controller works for TG16 and NES, Saturn works for Genesis as well as Saturn/Arcade etc etc
>>
>>4011964
I want to know why, but I feel like that answer may ruin games for me in itself.
>>
>>4010169
That only happens if you're a lightweight with no self-control.
>>
>>4011964
lol no it won't. It will allow you to enhance the parts you love and avoid the stuff you don't. Deeper analysis can also allow you to focus on the positive aspects of genres you don't usually like, and expand your tastes. It'll allow you to connect with the art and with your own tastes on a much deeper level. If your love of games can't survive basic introspection then congrats - you don't love games. You just love the routine and wasting time. As long as you're not literally OCD you'll be fine.

This is how basically every critic, academic, and hardcore enthusiast enjoys any kind of art. If you do it right, it will only make you enjoy games even more.
>>
>>4009989
Emulation's like masturbating.

It's alright, but fails in comparison to the real thing.
>>
>>4010169
I played Abadox on an emulator without using a savestate, just have to have some self-control.
>>
>>4009989
If you're going to emulate you should do it on a LCD with a distorted aspect ratio and filters and use a shitty wireless controller. There's just no other way to experience emulation as the developers intended.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.