[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are emulators inherently laggy, or is the latency on RetroPie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Retropie_Splash.png (166KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Retropie_Splash.png
166KB, 640x400px
Are emulators inherently laggy, or is the latency on RetroPie terrible? There's noticeable lag with a CRT. I've mainly tested NES and SNES emulators, but I assume it's the same problem with the rest of them.

I don't think it's the pi hardware itself as the mouse seems quite responsive, but I'm not 100% certain.

I'm assuming recalbox is more or less the same thing as retropie?
>>
emulators are laggy inherently. A CRT minimizes it but doesn't fix it. Just use real hardware or settle for a mediocre solution.
>>
Inherently. Digital signals (emulator) vs Analog signals (original). Digital always has more latency.

It's more pronounced in rhythm games.
>>
>>4009360
ARM is bad for emulation in the first place

>>4009408
what are you talking about, they are all digital until they hit the DAC, that's only for sound/video in it's latter stages, you're a retard if you think the NES/SNES are analog machines
>>
OP, these fags are either trolls or Autists. A Wii with wired control and emulators will have no noticeable lag. It has an amount that is measurable via an oscilloscope but it's not large enough for a human to pick up. Unless you hook it up to an LCD of course.

Emulating on a Pi is equivalent to emulating on a very weak computer from the early 2000s. Just emulate on a good pc with a modern monitor or use a Wii and crt. Original consoles will work too but that doesn't seem to be what you want and I can't blame you
>>
>>4009596
>A Wii with wired control and emulators will have no noticeable lag.
The same kind of poster that says SNES emulation on the PSP "works 100%". Except for this game. And this one. Well, at least it plays 100% of the 5 games I like, so it's 100%.

>>4009589
Video signal.
>>
>>4009596
this is also bullshit, because not only are there RPI3s which have been out for a good long while now, but also emulationstation distros don't use a desktop environment and thus there's plenty of power.
I can play PS1 games with zero issues on my Recalbox RPI3.
I don't have a single problem with lag.
The only problems I've ever had was input being goofy, not lagging really, but just mapping freaking out, and ONLY on the gba games on Retropie specifically. Same games on Recalbox work flawlessly.
>>
>>4009360
It depends on the emulator. There will always be some amount of lag, but the software can take steps to reduce them.
>>
>>4009650
Retropie definitely has quite a few miliseconds of delay. You probably just don't notice it because it's a bit subtle.

Just try running and jumping off the edge of a platform in Mario. If you hit the button at the last minute he won't jump and just fall off the platform.

The lazers in MegaMan 2 are also a big pain. I imagine Mike Tyson is no cakewalk either.
>>
>>4009646

That's not the same at all. Snes on psp is shit, the wii is a fully working emulation machine, kys
>>
>>4009650

A Pi is just a weak pc. It's not inheritly good at emulating. Fags just use the as 'retro emulation consoles' because they are cheap and can fit inside different type of shells including old consoles. Very trendy!
>>
>>4010171
I use retropie and this doesn't happen to me. I did notice some input lag at first, but setting my tv to the PC input manually solved the problem completely. Closest thing I've ever seen to how the original hardware functions.
>>
>>4010313
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation

The lag is real.
>>
>>4010337
No, it's not! It's all in the mind
If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find
That all the things I teach ya is sure to beat ya
But nevertheless you'll get a lesson from teacher, now
KICK!
~
KICK!
PUNCH!
~
PUNCH!
>>
>>4010342
>>BAD
>>AWFUL
DAMN IT! I can't play this for shit on RetroPie!
>>
>>4010276
And you don't have reading comprehension.
Emulationstation distros, like Recalbox and Retropie, they don't use DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS.
Your old PC did.
That frees up tons of resources.
It just has a simple gui, it doesn't try to do all the shit a desktop environment does.
lrn2tech

As for them being good for emulation, the physical size and form factor and price make them good for that, not the computing specifications in and of themselves.
>>
>>4009360
>is the latency on RetroPie terrible?
Yes.
>I don't think it's the pi hardware itself
It is.
>>
>>4010359

Wow you are an idiot. The same software that runs on a Pi will run on a pc. So If you skip the desktop environment and use something like lakka on your Pi, sure it will free up resources. The same software will run on a desktop pc too. So the Pc will still perform MUCH better. Are you paired to shill pis or are you just caught up in memes?
>>
>>4010337
1 frame difference between a $30 single board and a full fledged PC is unremarkable.
>>
>>4012089
Dude, stop moving the goalposts. You said it's equivalent to a 2000s PC, not a modern PC.
That is true in terms of system specs, kind of.
But you're implying that the experience is the same when it is not.
Why the fuck would you use a modern pc that costs close to $1000, for a job that is 100% done by a pi3 that costs $50?

Do you have some autistic problem with single-purpose machines?
Because that's what game consoles are in the first place.

Wait, you aren't that crazy weirdo who keeps saying NES and other pre-2000s computers are "analog" are you?
>>
>>4012117
>a modern pc that costs close to $1000
You can get a fully functioning PC for less than $200. $1000 is high spec nowadays.
A Pi3 with all the necessary accessories is closer to $100 as well.
>>
>>4012124
You must be poor at shopping.
I got every fucking thing including microsd, usb keyboard and snes usb pad for ~$70
>>
>>4009360
I remember having to change a bunch of settings after installing RetroPie because the input latency was awful (like, it took until the time my finger was raised before a jump would actually happen on screen)
setting it to use dispmanx instead of gl helped a bunch

also
video_vsync = true #haven't bothered turning this off to see how it looks or if it's better/worse, but no one wants tearing
video_threaded = false #most important one by far
video_frame_delay = 0 #also pretty important

retroarch on the pi doesn't use video_hard_sync sadly, so you can't try to use that to try to shave another frame off
>>
>>4012124
>A Pi3 with all the necessary accessories is closer to $100 as well.
You guys should try the orange pi pc, it runs a version of retropie which works fairly well and the thing cost 1/3 the price of the raspberry.
>>
>>4010353
Here's a hint: it wasn't much better on a console
>>
>>4012152
Yes, the game had surprisingly tight input timings. Also, the little scrolling icon that shows you the button press timing is mis-timed itself, which has forever confused people who can't keep a steady beat.
Adding A/V and input lag to the equation certainly doesn't make the game easier.
>>
>>4009360
> Are emulators inherently laggy,
Yes, but only by a frame or so. Minor stuff.
> or is the latency on RetroPie terrible?
No. Your TV will usually be the biggest problem.
> There's noticeable lag with a CRT.
You using some kind of converter?
> I've mainly tested NES and SNES emulators, but I assume it's the same problem with the rest of them.
Nope. Depends on the console. SNES is the worst of the bunch. NES is better. Genesis and PSX is even better.
> I don't think it's the pi hardware itself as the mouse seems quite responsive, but I'm not 100% certain.
It's not a problem with the pi, but more powerful computers can do some minor things to reduce lag that the pi can't.
> I'm assuming recalbox is more or less the same thing as retropie?
Yes. It's basically the same thing with fewer settings and an easier/prettier setup.
>>
>>4009360
Snes has really bad input lag on a pi. I haven't played a real nes in forever but it seems fine when I play it on a pi. Genesis has noticeable lag but I've still easily beaten reflex independent games like thunderforce 4, so i'd say its tolerable.
>>
>>4012117

Dumbass. I said the Pi is equivalent to an old weak pc, and that's true. I didn't suggest buying one instead of a Pi as your goal posts comment is implying.

And I didn't say to buy a modern 1000 dollar pc for emulating. I'm saying to use the desktop you already have instead of using a Pi.

Pis aren't better than PCs at emulating. Theres nothing special about them, at all. Being cheap or fitting into a small custom case doesn't improve its ability to mimic the function of retro consoles.
>>
>>4012152

The timing was tight as FUCK but it was fine on console once you wrapped your head around it. The lag issue isn't exclusive to the Pi, it's just as bad on PS3 and PSP.

>>4012169

>Also, the little scrolling icon that shows you the button press timing is mis-timed itself

You're supposed to hit the button when the icon jumps up, not the moment the scrolling bar touches it. The manual even mentions this so it does work as intended, the intention itself was just confusing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.