[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus on Daggerfall?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: df1-5213177.jpg (283KB, 1178x1600px) Image search: [Google]
df1-5213177.jpg
283KB, 1178x1600px
What's the consensus on Daggerfall?
>>
Best Elder Scroll game. Period.
>>
Worst Elder Scroll game. Period.
>>
>>4008634
it's a good game, it's just not a good Elder Scrolls game. period.
>>
>>4008634
It's good, but the supposed Britain-sized landmass is filled with a whole lot of nothing.
>>
People complain about Skyrim being as deep as a puddle, but this whole game is procedurally generated, and all dungeons and towns blend together. However, combat and especially magic is much deeper than the other games, so its a tradeoff.
>>
>>4008634
Broken buggy mess

>be me, aged 14 or something
>friend installs Daggerfall on PC
>need to call him up everytime I run the game to get past the security code (need a word from the manual)
>Playing for ages
>Get tasked to find some letter in a dungeon, and I have about 10million days to complete it
>think "that's odd"
>go to dungeon
>spend days looking for letter
>days turn to months, looking through this endless dungeon
>give up out of frustration

I found out about 10 years later that it was a bug and there was no way to complete that quest. I hate Daggerfall.
>>
>>4008634
Good game. I like it a lot. Broken to shit though.
>>
>>4008690
>it's just not a good Elder Scrolls game
it is THE Elder Scrolls game, Daggerfall and Morrowind are actual TES games, anything else in the series is generic fantasy RPG
>>
>>4009013
Why didn't you just write it down?
>>
>>4011424
as I can remember df had one of those "what's the fifteenth word on the 106th page" kind of copy protections. dude woulda had to write down the whole manual
t. different anon
>>
>>4010892

>What is Arena?

What do you have against the one that started it all? It's still the only game in the series that let's you explore the entire width and breadth of Tamriel.
>>
>>4011832
Yes, all the randomly generated worthless nothingness.
>>
>>4011836

You try using designing an entire continent using '90s tech.
>>
Is this the correct order?

Morrowind > Daggerfall > Skyrim > Oblivion > Arena
>>
>>4011839
You don't. You spend time making smaller but more detailed and meaningful spaces as opposed to miles of procedurally generated trash.
>>
>>4011841
That is actually totally correct. I hate Oblivion though so I may put it last.
>>
>>4011832
>What do you have against the one that started it all?
They haven't refired the game yet and weren't sure about the lore of it.
Most of the lore comes from Morrowind though.
>>
Landmass made useless by nothingness, tried to play without fast travel but its not even comfy. Immersion ruined because you have to just warp around the worldmap. Waiting for xl. Whats the point of muh landmass when its so generic and empty? Even skyrim is a better fps compared.

You can glitch and crash arena if you travel outwards in the wilderness for enough time btw
>>
>>4011841
Change > between Skyrim and Oblivion to =
>>
>>4011841
You are right.
Oblivion is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>4014129
No one thinks that Oblivion is good
>>
File: d.png (101KB, 961x600px) Image search: [Google]
d.png
101KB, 961x600px
I liked Oblivion and Morrowind but didn't get Skyrim because I didn't need another 15 square mile "world" to piddle around in.

I think the "consensus" on daggerfall is less positive than for the later titles because people like their little 15 square mile worlds
>>
>>4008634
A rat killed me because the controls are clunky shit.
>>
>>4014250
That's probably just because you suck, first time I played it, it took hours before I first died and I had visited shitload of cities and done quests.
>>
>>4014201
Oblivion and Skyrim are the same size.
>>
>>4014201
>I think the "consensus" on daggerfall is less positive than for the later titles because people like their little 15 square mile worlds
How can you think positively about a game that was shipped so unfinished you couldn't even play it for more than 5 minutes without crashing. Also full of bugged quest and not working dungeon generator(dungeons without a exit so funny xD) Yeah the game was big - a big pile of shit.
>>
>>4014201
As opposed to a giant "world" that's an illusion of depth and freedom.
>>
>>4014267
Don't know what version you are playing that you say you can't play 5 minutes without a crash.
Dungeons can be messed up, but years playing it, I never encountered one without an exit, you won't get in it in the first place.
>>
>>4014357
I played the game when it was released. It was a piece of shit, even getting it running on a win95 pc was a nightmare. The game wasn't even the best rpg that came out that year(Diablo!!!!) Just becouse 20 years later someone patched the bugs out dosen't make it a good game.
>>
>>4014368
I have it on CD since it came out.

>even getting it running on a win95 pc was a nightmare.
No? Select your sound card and run. Never had a problem with getting it to run, never had it crash randomly. It did have bugs, enemies stuck in walls, etc. No exit in dungeons? Nope.

>the game wasn't even the best rpg that came out that year(Diablo!!!!)
But it was a different kind of RPG, I enjoyed both.
>>
>>4014390
>But it was a different kind of RPG, I enjoyed both.
The quality of Diablo managed to make me forget about Daggerfall and about TES in general at least untill Bethesda released that turd Battlespire.
>>
>>4014517
>a linear 2.5D game in 1996 was "better" quality then a 3D open world game
Both where quality games and very enjoyable for what they where worth. Still are.
>>
>>4008634
one of the GOAT
>>
File: 1495470491523.jpg (129KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1495470491523.jpg
129KB, 1024x683px
One of the greatest RPG i ever play.

It´s feel infinity.
>>
>>4008634
It's pretty Daggerfally.
>>
File: daggererror.png (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
daggererror.png
80KB, 640x480px
The most recent releases of the game have patched a lot of the crappy bugs, so I had a good time with it
>>
>>4013756
>Waiting for xl
You're going to be waiting for a very long time, anon.
>>
File: 1489471534022.gif (66KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1489471534022.gif
66KB, 350x350px
Is the gargled sound glitch stiff unfixable?
>>
>one of the first games I bought when I got my emachines fitted with an Nvidia 6200
>so anxious to play as many of the games I bought that day so sped through the tutorials and first dungeon
>before I realize it, I spent almost an hour going north hoping I'd hit a town

left me feeling sour.
>>
>>4018125
What the fuck? Why a 6200?
>>
>>4018125
>what is a map
Seriously dude? It took me a few minutes to go from one town to another that where two dots on the map right next to each other.
>>
>>4018130
what else was around in 2004/2005? dad bought it when I was in middle school.
>>
>>4018154
Oh, it was your first computer, got it.
I just thought you got your computer fitted with a 6200, because even a shitty Rage 128 from 10 years before could play Daggerfall.
>>
>>4008634
Great game that aged like semen in a cum rag.
>>
>>4014169
I was just about to say this

I fucking love Oblivion but I'm not going to get on my high horse and claim it's a superb game. There's so many aspects of the game that are straight up terrible but for some reason I've always found a likable charm to it.
>>
>>4014258

It's not just that. The character creation system is full of traps. You can easily make a character that can burn through the first dungeon, and you can easily make a character that can barely kill a rat. This isn't too bad for a knowledgeable player but a new player can easily get tripped up by it.

In general, that's my impression of how this game works... it's great if you play it juuuust right, but it doesn't like you much and if you don't bend to its invisible rules then you're gonna be punished hard (via lots of tedium). Your character will be underpowered or overpowered, or your quests will be full of terribly boring random dungeons, or you'll get stuck for a long time because you don't happen to have one of the essential spells for a particular quest and you don't know enough to either drop the quest or go buy that spell, or you'll just get lost in some horrible maze and wear out your motivational powers trying to finish it or at least escape from it.

The random dungeon generation was just crap; that's the worst thing about the game in my opinion. They picked a clumsy algorithm for that and then they failed to even implement their algorithm well. Also they picked a clumsy design for the automatic dungeon map and failed to implement that well too. Old hardware couldn't do these things ideally of course, but they could do it a lot better than what Daggerfall managed.

I don't know how they could have made the boring overworld less boring; a billion square miles of wilderness are just bound to be mainly bland. But the random dungeons could have been much much better. The programmers and especially the designers for that system just weren't very good.
>>
Bethesda should've just sticked to them football games.
>>
>>4011904
>meaningful

Found the guy who listens to video game podcasts and thinks that is how anyone talks about games
>>
>>4018951

"Meaningful" is just a basic, commonplace word. Calling it out as being special and pretentious is very strange.

Video game podcasts probably use the word "to" as well, so I guess you're another listener of them.
>>
File: impressed.png (40KB, 217x278px) Image search: [Google]
impressed.png
40KB, 217x278px
>>4018917
Woah... sounds like you played that game... a whole damn lot?
>>
>>4019047
I once got into a flame war because I used the term "fortnight" with the goatfucker claiming it was "Obsolete".

Yeah, maybe in his dumbed-down ghetto.
>>
>>4019339

I did not. I made a serious attempt at getting into it, spanning several hours I think, and then I watched several YouTube videos about the game, read some wiki pages about it, and spoiled myself on its main story and the various major options in it that I hadn't explored myself. So I only sort of know what I'm talking about, I guess.

I didn't really do the main story dungeons at all. I probably would have liked the game better if I'd stuck to them, but I just can't bear to play any game without trying to break things some.

But I gather that if you've seen one random Daggerfall dungeon you've seen them all, and I spent quite a long time in several. And they all sucked horribly, although they were so needlessly obtuse and so sprawling as to actually become kind of cool in a way.

Anyway, I claim to have played the game enough to learn the following: The activities you'll spend most of your time doing in it are travel, dungeon exploration, and combat; and it implements all three of those activities in a way that is clumsy and unpleasant. Once I'd reached that conclusion (whether it's a correct one or not), I felt okay about giving up on the game and just spoiling a bunch of stuff.
>>
>>4014250
>>4018917
>>4020154
You just suck and those games are not for you.
>>
>>4020292

Giving up on Desert Bus without finishing it, and thereafter calling the game boring, is not a symptom of low skill.

Moreover, Daggerfall does not qualify as "those games" because there is only one of it.
>>
>>4021054
>Giving up on Desert Bus without finishing it, and thereafter calling the game boring, is not a symptom of low skill.
What has this analogy to do with it?

>Moreover, Daggerfall does not qualify as "those games" because there is only one of it.
Yup, spot the /vr/ illiterate pleb
>>
>>4022049
> What has this analogy to do with it?

Daggerfall isn't for me because I am TOO skilled for it. Like nearly every game with a character leveling system, it's tedious and easy, not difficult. It's a timesink for kids and other people who are still very early in the process of learning how to use their time wisely.

> Yup, spot the /vr/ illiterate pleb

Is that an order? Come on dude, learn English if you're gonna post here and be all snarky and knowing about memes or whatever. Or you could stick to one of your country's forum sites I suppose.

Was "those games" an obscure in-joke? If you believe references make for humor, then you should be pouring your time into World of Warcraft or something, not anything like Daggerfall.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.