[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it qrong to play retro games on your phone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_20170520-203951.png (36KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170520-203951.png
36KB, 1920x1080px
Is it qrong to play retro games on your phone?
>>
Maybe. I have an NES emulator on my phone and the controls are a bunch of unresponsive shit. I clean my screen constantly but most games are just unplayable. That being said, it's fine for RPGS or games where manual dexterity isn't a factor. So I have mixed opinions.
>>
>Is it qrong
qyes.
Touchscreens suck. They're too imprecise. You need real buttons to play real games.
>>
>>4008336
Well im using a gamepad for the actual gameplay

What is it about this time of year and people becoming pendantic cunts? I am so sick of having to hear about every fucking typo i shouldnt have to walk on fucking eggshells
>>
>>4008336
>wyes
>>
>>4008353
Wow, sensitive much
>>
File: 20161219_012307.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_012307.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I play retro games on my phone when I have no other option around to enjoy my time.
>>
>>4008424
Xperia Play 2 when. I unironically want to see a Playstation phone.
>>
>>4008353
> i shouldnt have to walk on fucking eggshells
That 'i' should be capitalised. I.
>>
Wrong?
Well, it kind of fucking sucks but if you've no better alternative and you're a poorfag on the go then it's better than nothing.
>>
>>4008326
Not if you have a gamepad. I tried playing GBC games on mine once with touchscreen controls and kept dying because of the lack of tactile feedback. I can't say why but there's something about not being able to feel the buttons that throws you way off. I now use an n3ds for my handheld emulation needs and it can't be any comfier.
>>
>>4008424
You can pick up an Xperia Play for like $40 on eBay.
I always recommend it for people looking for a cheap portable emulator.
Cheaper than a PSP and better at all emulation aside from PlayStation titles.
>>
>>4008353
Stop phone posting like a third world newfag. Problem solved.
>>
>>4008326
kind of
a lot of phone emulators have awful latency issues

At least the Sonic CD port works like a charm on my S7, especially with the bluetooth gamepad clip I got.
>>
>>4008568
Sounds cheap but isn't the Play extremely outdated now?
>>
>>4008326
The only wrong way to play retro games is to care about what other people think while you're playing them.
>>
>>4008737
so are the things it emulates
>>
>>4008326
It's wrong to start threads like this, OP. I think we both know that.
>>
No. I play retro and non-retro games on my phone with a BT gamepad all the time.
>>
>>4008849
That's not the point. If you want to emulate anything higher than SNES or Genesis on it then you're SOL.
>>
File: It sure is summer.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
It sure is summer.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>4008353
>this time of year
>>
>>4008326
I play baldur's gate on my phone. Got a cheap phone with a 480p screen and it's still playable
>>
>>4008326
I beat wolf3d, SoD and mission packs on death incarnate with galaxy trend when I was bored at school AMA
>>
File: Why_not_have_fun.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Why_not_have_fun.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>4008434
>>4008568
>>4008737
I would like one too as I am feeling very behind the times because the Xperia Play IS my phone. It is all I can afford.

I wish the phone can be put together with various parts like a PC. All the separate components which form the Xperia Play I can buy from China, but none of them are upgrades, so they are only for repair purposes. I want to keep its slide-out controller-like buttons because I can use the touchscreen for a keyboard plus the L&R buttons help with SNES games.

The screen resolution is much lower than modern phones. It could be faster for web browsing and general connectivity. I also wish the camera was much better, as it is fine for posting on 4chan, but I am too embarrassed to use it to take pictures of cosplay cuties as it blatantly demonstrates my age and poverty level.

Also dont worry, I recently got enough money to buy a new set of screen protectors. The filthy one in this old picture has been replaced, no air bubbles and clean now.
>>
>>4009528
How's it compare to the PSP Go? Design and form factor seem similar. The PSP Go obviously has different drawbacks, in that it is not also a phone and will take up additional space whenever you take it with you, but it comes with the strengths of being dedicated gaming portable.
>>
>>4009546
The phone didn't get updated nearly enough. This was back when getting the newest firmware mattered for Android, unlike the past 3-4 years. It also was kind of terribly optimized for the hardware it did have.
>>
>>4009290
Good thing there are 5000 or so games from 16 bit on down.
>>
>>4008353
If you're this sensitive this may be the wrong site for you.
If you're using a controller there's nothing wrong with playing on your phone as long as you use a decent emulator and don't stretch the shit out of the image. Touchscreens are the worst part of phone gaming. Controllers fix that.
But >>4008808 has the best answer. By asking us, you're already doing something qrong. The important part is having fun.
>>
>>4008326
yes, it's wuite qrong
>>
>>4009546
I have an Xperia Play and a PSP Go.
The form factor is similar but I prefer the Play as it's a little heftier (seeing as how it's also a phone).
As for emulation, though, the Play is clearly superior. Most modern Android emulators run just fine on its admittedly dated hardware and SNES emulation especially is miles better than on current PSP offerings.
The only benefit of the PSP (Go or otherwise) is the real analog stick (the Play only has 2 "virtual" ones) and its accuracy with emulating PlayStation One titles.

>>4009528
Yes, of course, it isn't a great phone anymore compared to more recent ones. It is, however, a very capable emulator and the low screen resolution doesn't really play a factor when emulating games that are obviously going to have a native resolution smaller than the phone's.

Overall, it definitely doesn't make for an amazing phone but for $40 it's a more than capable portable emulation machine.
>>
Touch screen controls are fine for RPGs or any games where accurate timing or multiple button presses aren't needed. If your phone has a QHD screen, you can emulate with integer scaling and use some pretty decent CRT shaders.
>>
File: 61dElCyW0SL._SX425_.jpg (34KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
61dElCyW0SL._SX425_.jpg
34KB, 425x425px
>>4009528
I kind of miss my Xperia Play.
I say kind of, because the phone was underpowered even at release, let alone as a gaming phone, and mine ended up giving me all kinds of trouble in the end (it seems to work fine except the battery will drain out and then it won't turn back on or charge the battery again, also I had a bunch of issues with actually using it as a phone with calls and messages not coming in for no reason).

Buttons are okay, the touchpad "analog sticks" are the worst fucking thing (try to play Ape Escape on it, I fucking dare you), it's not a bad looking or feeling device.

you could get a better phone for fuck-all these days, but you'd be missing out on the buttons and need to spend $20 or so more on a bluetooth controller clip thing like pic related (which looks like the one I bought even -- it doesn't seem to add latency beyond what Android normally has, but the build quality does feel a tad cheap and the d-pad is trash and it kind of sucks for /vr/ purposes, so look for a brand with an actually usable d-pad)

the Xperia Play's d-pad kind of sucks too (for no real reason, why does it have true segmented buttons instead of a real PS style d-pad anyway), but it's at least fairly accurate partially because of the retarded way it was made
Could be worse, try playing Alpha 3 on a PSP-1000, and watch all of your diagonals get dropped forever.

>>4008434
Sony will do the same fucking thing they did with the original: hype it up a bit, release it, barely support it for like a year at best, and then forget it existed. Fuck 'em, and fuck it.

>>4008353
>pendantic
wew

but seriously, every modern web browser has a spell checker built in, there's almost no reason to have spelling mistakes unless your mistake becomes an unrelated word
/vr/ is a slow board, you can take your time with your posts
>>
>>4008353
Nice punctuation.
>>
>>4010907
PSP had plenty of first party support. Almost all their PS2 franchises had a PSP game or two.
>>
I've never heard of phone game pads, where can I get one?
>>
>>4010948
In person? Damn near anywhere that sells electronics or games. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ToysRUs, Target...

Or just use Amazon.
>>
>>4008424
>>4009528
I still have an old Verizon Xperia Play i had for a few years but the thing feels slow as shit any time i want to do anything with it today
>>
>>4008597
Whats up with Sonic 2 being unavailable on S7s? also Grim Fandango stopped being available as well
>>
>>4010948
There are dozens of options, but if your main goal is retro emulation, look at the 8bitdo controllers with xtander clip. They feel great.
>>
>>4008335
This. JRPGs and puzzle games are doable. Platformers or shmups are anything that requires quick reactions and skills are awful on phones.

I beat minish cap on my phone once, the game was about 10x harder than normal and wasn't that fun. Thats probably the most balls to the wall action jd ever be willing to play on a phone.
>>
>>4008597
Sonic games play surprisingly well with touchscreen controls.
>3&K port never ever
>>
>>4008353
Go home and become a family man. You clearly don't belong here.
>>
>>4008353
>I am so sick of having to hear about every fucking typo; I shouldn't have to walk on fucking eggshells.
C-
See me after class.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.