[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outrun thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

File: WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS.png (304KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS.png
304KB, 1024x768px
What do you like about this game?
>>
1. The cabinet (although I was still a toddler and couldn't reach the gas, had to do some awkward moves)
2. The graphics (this was my first "3D" game, it felt realistic back then)
3. The music
4. The blonde
>>
Short enough to be good for pick-up and play, challenging enough to be interesting. The music is good.
>>
>>4007147
>music
Which track?
>blonde
OP pic and name related
>>
>>4007157
>Which track
Probably Splash Wave
Wasn't that blonde actually a hostage? I remember I've read something like that, dunno if it was some DID YOU KNOW bs or legit.
>>
>>4007165
I doubt it, in Turbo Outrun she actually leaves you and goes with the Rival if you're doing poorly
>>
File: outrun.webm (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
outrun.webm
2MB, 512x384px
>>4007140
The music and visuals are stellar. Seeing graphics like that just fly out of the screen was super impressive (same thing applies to Space Harrier, really). It's a really pick-up-and-go game -- no matter what, every run will take 5 minutes or less.
It continues to be interesting due to time attack, the branching paths, and dealing with the traffic.
There's a lot to love. Even the Genesis version, despite being fairly cutback in terms of framerate (and I'm pretty sure it could have been better for a Genesis release in 1991) is fairly faithful (especially compared to many of the other ports, just about all the other ports without realtime scaling fuck up on road width and split roads, which the Genesis version does just fine).
>>
>>4007140
Music.
Turbo Outrun is better in anything else.
>>
>>4007202
turbo outrun's visuals and soundtrack is brilliant (mother fucking Keep Your Heart), but the courses are a tad worse, and making it one long haul instead of selectable courses might have been a mistake

kind of wish the MD port of the game wasn't so lame, seems to be a lot of the reason people don't like it as much as OG Out Run
>>
File: Shorace.png (4KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shorace.png
4KB, 320x224px
>>4007140
It's alright, but Super Hang-On was more fun for me. Mostly because of the turbo button.
>>
>>4007202
>linear path
>better
>>
Sense of freedom and blue skies
>>
What do you guys think of Outrunners?
>>
>>4007140
Were 2.5D driving games good or is it just enjoying it back then because 3D hasn't arrived at large yet?

Also, is Outrunners any good?
>>
>>4008456

Same guy from >>4008431, I like Outrunners but the music isn't as good as Outrun. It seems a little easier too. Still fun though.
>>
>>4008476
What's premise of the spin off? Outrun without Ferraris?
>>
>>4007441
Super Hang-On is fucking magic. Really, really wish the Genesis version performed better -- it's basically under constant slowdown always.
It's otherwise startlingly arcade accurate.
honestly, the only things I've played on my 3DS recently for any extended period of time are either Super Hang-On, Out Run, or Space Harrier, M2 did a fucking magic job with all of them

>>4008456
Outrunners (arcade version) is fantastic, a real gem. Some people don't like it as much because it loses the relaxed feeling of original Out Run, but fuck 'em, the wild race across the world feeling, great track design, and gorgeous graphics nail it. The music's great, but the speaker system makes it a bit hard to handle in MAME (mute one of the sides -- it's meant for each player to have their own sound, being a dual-screen single-cab game).
It's especially fun with friends (although you should crank the time extensions up if you're just casually racing with a friend).
really wish MAME implemented board networking at all so I could do 4 player Outrunners

the Genesis version still has the track design and it kind of handles like the arcade, but it's a fairly ugly, lazy port that's got forced splitscreen, there's a lot of flak about Outrunners entirely because of the miserable Genesis release

There's a pseudo sequel to Outrunners called Cool Riders that got emulated in MAME a handful of years ago, too.
It's sadly a lot uglier (runs on more advanced hardware and looks more technically impressive -- but it's got digitized photo graphics everywhere), runs at 30fps, and I'm not remotely as fond of the track layouts.
>>
>>4008456
>Were 2.5D driving games good or is it just enjoying it back then because 3D hasn't arrived at large yet?
They're still fun, and they let you be more liberal (as a dev) with the handling model (more perception than anything here) and course layouts (2.5D racers let you make layouts with impossible geometry) and get away with it more than you would with polygon 3D.

Still, full 3D racers are generally just better overall, no one really clamors for new sprite scaling line-scroll road racing games that much apart from an extreme minority that really just loves that style of game in general and wants more sprite scaling games again.
Polygon graphics helped racing games out more than basically any other genre except for FPSes.

little side bit: several of Sega's absolute last set of scaling racers like F-1 Super Lap are effectively truly 3D, with all objects existing in true 3D space with actual position rotations instead of just skewing the track, but the graphics hardware on the System-32 was still only really able to do scaled billboards
>>
>>4008505
From a video I just saw, it looks like the immediate ground and track are textured 3D but everything else (cars, stands, billboards) are prerendered 2D sprites. Looks decent still.
>>
>>4008484
you don't need to spoiler that, I think everyone agrees the M2 ports are god-tier. Outrun and Space Harrier are my personal favorites and see a lot of play on my 3DS.
>>
>>4008456
Some were really good. Outrun 2049 has some areas with bridges over water, multiple paths where you can go under bridges and stuff.

I remember Sega had one other racing game where the cabinet had a seat belt and rolled left and right when you turned the wheel. It was like a kart racer but the tracks had all kinds of loops and paths leading up and down.
>>
File: powerdrift-2.png (51KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
powerdrift-2.png
51KB, 320x224px
>>4008573
>I remember Sega had one other racing game where the cabinet had a seat belt and rolled left and right when you turned the wheel. It was like a kart racer but the tracks had all kinds of loops and paths leading up and down.
Ah, that'd be Power Drift. Game's brilliant.
I'm still surprised it never got a port to a Sega console until the Saturn (which is probably why nearly no one remembers it).
>>
I never play this game when child.
First game I play is outrun2000 on XBOXoriginal and it very cool. play style not like Rage Racer or Detona USA
Then I play the original outrun arcade on 3DS with 60f/s and 3d graphic , ....... ever 30 year pass this game still fun and challenging.
>>
File: BkHhDxuCcAA7VGB.jpg (59KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
BkHhDxuCcAA7VGB.jpg
59KB, 600x750px
I was dreamed to put this ad-on to my 3ds and play outrun 3d.

but I just April fools.
>>
>>4008675
>but I just April fools.
fuck
that picture pisses me off, I wish it was real
>>
File: world rally fever.webm (3MB, 319x233px) Image search: [Google]
world rally fever.webm
3MB, 319x233px
>>4008456
OutRun, Rad Racer and Lotus Trilogy are really fun in their own way.
Also, they are not 2.5.
http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

>>4008586

And then there is this.
>>
>>4009294
That looks pretty fun. I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.
>>
Many arcade racing game and shooting game are not port to console in 16bit Gen~.
Bacause SNES and Genesis hardware can't handle thost game.
>>
File: outrun-2019-usa.png (304KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
outrun-2019-usa.png
304KB, 350x500px
>>4007140
>What do you like about this game?
Addictive hard yet fair gameplay. Throw in the God tier aesthetics, atmosphere, and music and you have your self a 11/10 game.

>>4007157
>Which track?
Splash Wave is my #1 but they're all great. Usually stretch with Passing Breeze, warm up with Magical Sound Shower, then finally on my 3rd run I Splash Wave the mofo which 50/50 I either finish the race or end up upside down in a ditch.

>>4008573
>Outrun 2049 has some areas with bridges over water, multiple paths where you can go under bridges and stuff

Just picked up pic related this week. It's a little too easy but everything else is pritty gud. Would have been fantastic on better hardware even tho they did a great job with what they had. Easily worth the couple bucks I paid.
>>
>>4008054
Why not? Long journey through the continent always fascinated me.
>>
File: 1181242156265[1].png (7KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
1181242156265[1].png
7KB, 336x240px
>>4008456
Gameplay was awful but I still love them for the visuals, style, premise etc.
I can think of only one exception - Road Rash plays wonderfully too. It's also pretty 3D-ish, but the reason it excel I think is that corners aren't the difficulty itself, but numerous obstacles you have to avoid is. And it isn't very hard, but still interesting because you race real opponents, not the timer.
Yep, Outrunners is one of the best of this kind.
>>4008573
I dunno, to me Outrun 2049 looks so much worse than other Outrun games. Totally uninspiring visuals.
Road Blasters on the other hand implemented futuristic setting nicely.
>>
>>4009790
I must add that at the time when there were no 3D yet if you were looking for racing gameplay top-down games were the choice.
>>
>>4009294
What do you mean "not 2.5"? Is this a bad name? Why?
>>
>>4008505
>They're still fun, and they let you be more liberal (as a dev) with the handling model (more perception than anything here) and course layouts (2.5D racers let you make layouts with impossible geometry) and get away with it more than you would with polygon 3D.
Do you have any examples of games using at least one of these advantages? Especially impossible geometry since I get that someone might like simplistic 1.5D mechanics of these games.
Yep, sometimes racetrack isn't euclidic in such as when you driving at the same coordinates the second time there are different things in place or the lap looping in 4th dimension but what it adds?
>>
>>4009795
The hell? Most top down racers are a hell of a lot worse than linescroll racers, with awful visibility and usually much worse handling.
>>4009419
2019's got a few dumb layout issues and is definitely a tad too easy, but I still love that game. Kind of wish it looked a little nicer -- more slick neon cities at night, fewer stages of drably colored grassland in the middle of nowhere with bits of road missing.
It's got some really great engine features, like overlapping/elevated roads and shit, and I really enjoy the soundtrack. There's also some really cool hidden paths and the lot.
>>4009294
>world rally fever
Oh damn, that looks brilliant, at least in visuals.
>>
>>4009824
The absolutely insane hills in Cisco Heat come to mind immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhoVZE4biY
>>
>>4010593
>going uphill
>looks like you are driving inside hollow ball
>going downhill
>looks like you are driving on top of the ball
Its insane alright!
>>
>>4007140
I like the fact that it's not strictly a racing-, but a driving game. That you can just zone out and fucking go forward and watch the world whiz past

while I'm sure some similar games must exist I never really had a similar experience until I got swept by the meme and started playing eurotruck2
>>
>>4008456

There are only 2 racing/driving games I return to every single year and they are OutRun2 and OutRun 2019

So clearly there's something special there, at least with 2019.
>>
>>4009790
>I dunno, to me Outrun 2049 looks so much worse than other Outrun games. Totally uninspiring visuals.
>Road Blasters on the other hand implemented futuristic setting nicely.

I don't wanna fanboy the place up or anything, but damn, I feel the exact opposite. I love 2019's environments and feel like Road Blasters' are bland.
>>
>>4010883
I'm not that anon, but Road Blasters at least has the vivid palette going for it.
2019's environments are more detailed as a whole, but the palette is so damn drab.
>>
>>4008586
Asmik made a port for the pce but it didn't turn out all that great. It would've been better if NEC Avenue worked on it
>>
File: 22-05-2017-03.49.jpg (18KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
22-05-2017-03.49.jpg
18KB, 720x480px
Why the fuck is this allowed
>>
>>4011572
It isn't, take it to /v/.
>>
>>4007140
Magical Sound Shower best song
Genie harem ending best ending.
>>
>>4010527
>The hell? Most top down racers are a hell of a lot worse than linescroll racers, with awful visibility and usually much worse handling.
Maybe there's a lot of trash on home computers, but there's examples which represent actual racing much better that what is possible in linescrollers: Micro Machines series, RC Pro-Am series, Rock'n'Roll Racing, Combat Cars, Super DriftOut.
Japanese top-down Formula 1 games like F1 Circus are sad indeed. Shouldn't have chased what they thought realistic speeds.
>>4010615
Too bad that time limit is so strict even on easiest level it's hard to relax
>>
>>4012214
>time limit is so strict
I used to think this, but no, not really.
There are two things you have to do in order to win
1)use high gear
2)don't crash

After securing as much extended time as you can at the first stage, all you need is to coast on high gear and not bump into anything.
And Im not talking about taking turns with tires squealing, no. Just go fast at straights and take time on bends, break when you need.
If you keep your speed above low gear top speed, dont crash and gain at least a bit of time on the first stage, you are pretty much set.
The only tricky part is when track itself throws you a curveball, like on that rocky cliff stage where you take downhill turn right so you cant see shit, and then without a warning you get uphill left and crash into the cliff to your right.
Those you sadly have to memorize, I think.
Sometimes you have to take tight turns on narrow roads sandwiched between two cars and with another at your front. Sometimes the front one is a truck. Sometimes you just have to improvise.
>>
>>4012214
oh man, DriftOut is a brilliant top-down series

>>4011285
I actually like the PCE version, but yeah, it's not the greatest the machine could do of it.

>>4012302
basically this
The real challenge in Out Run is the fucking asshole traffic, which will cause 90% of your crashes.

there is nothing as painful as trying to thread the needle through three cars lined up right in front of you on a three lane stretch of road near the end (like, you're literally on the last stretch)
If you take it slow, you're going to time out because they're going so fucking slow. If you try to squeeze in, you're going to hit one, crash, and then time out while getting back to speed.
Had two runs end that way last week, was fucking awful.
>>
>>4007165
my headcanon for outrun is that you're actually filming a testarossa commercial
>>
>>4009797
Because "2.5D" refers to games with 3D graphics that take place on a 2D plane. These racing games are completely 2D. There are no true 3D graphics at all. They create the illusion of 3D by manipulating 2D graphics, so "psuedo-3D" is the correct term.

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/
>>
>>4015205
Fucked up the spelling. I meant "pseudo-3D." That's the correct term for 2D games that simulate 3D visuals.
>>
>>4008456
Plenty of them are good. A few have really cool sprite scaling, too.
>>
>>4015205
>Because "2.5D" refers to games with 3D graphics that take place on a 2D plane.
Like Pandemonium? Ok, makes sense now.
By the way, by that article Road Rash IS 3D.

Furthermore, I'd argue about games like Super Mario Bros (or really most of the games prior to 32 bit consoles) being 2D. There's no rotation or scaling - it's 1.5D the same way Doom is not 3D.
>>
>>4017174
>Like Pandemonium?
Yup. Or the New Super Mario Bros games.

>Road Rash IS 3D.
Some of them, yes. There are a lot of games with this name. Some are 3D, some are 2D.

>1.5D
Nah. For something to be one-dimensional, it has to only have one dimension, like height OR width, but not both. If something has a height AND a width (like any 2D sprite) then it has two dimensions and it's two-dimensional. Mario is 2D, and so are all the graphical elements that make up his world Rotation and scaling are not necessary for something to be 2D; it only has to have two dimensions.

2.5D isn't a technical term. It's a cute way of saying that a game plays on a fixed plane (like most 2D games) even though you have 3D graphics. 2.5D games are still 3D. 1.5D isn't a thing. Even Pong and text adventure games are 2D because they're made up of 2D graphics.
>>
>>4017465
I mean Road Rash 1-3 on Megadrive. Road is made of 3d quads, not of curved lines like in other games.

Okay maybe 1.5D is bad term because both dimensions are equally crippled.
World in these games (or rather computer systems) are too different to ours, I don't know the term for it or if it was even studied. But it isn't just regular 2-dimensional space, because intuitive 2-dimensional space looks like flash game. Yep, polygons, not sprites.
>>
>>4017497
By "term" I meant "name", sorry for my Russian.
>>
>>4008675
It would have scratched your screen to kingdom come anyway.
>>
File: outrun 2 (1).webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
outrun 2 (1).webm
2MB, 640x360px
>tfw Outrun 2 is only 4 years above the /vr/ cutoff
Y-you'll make an exception, r-right?
>>
>>4017960
Not even I would consider it a Dreamcast game, so no chance.
>>
>>4017960
Is OutRun the best non-retro sequel of a retro game? I know that plenty retro series exist exist to this day, like Mario and Zelda, but OutRun was one of the few that was dormant and then received a sequel (and not a reboot) in the 2000s. Ninja Gaiden was another one.

>tfw OutRun 3 only in 2026
>>
File: pa.105214.1.jpg (93KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pa.105214.1.jpg
93KB, 640x640px
Does Night Striker count as an Outrun spin-off? Similar graphical style and branching paths.
>>
>>4017960
Don't listen to this cocksmoker >>4017987, OR2 is pure arcade bliss that earns its place among the old school OR games. It definitely gets a pass.
>>
>>4018020
It plays more Thunderblade.

Also, it would have been nice if the Saturn port had analog controls (you can use the stick but its jerky).
>>
>>4018020
Night Striker: the game for when you can't decide if you want to play Space Harrier or Out Run.
>>
>>4018047
>It definitely gets a pass.
and who the hell are you to decide, you backseat moderator?
>>
>>4019760
Shut it, special needs. The rules are no posting non-retro threads, there's never been a rule against making a couple of posts about non-retro games related to the main topic of the thread. Suck shit.
>>
>>4007140
Everything. Magical Sound Shower is my favourite. Seeing that Deluxe Cabinet when it was new, and then playing it broke my mind. Took me until 1990 to beat my first route on an upright cab, felt like such an accomplishment. I still play it (via mame) all the time. One of the greats.
>>
Elder God Tier:
OutRunners

Top Tier:
OutRun

High Tier:
OutRun 2

Mid Tier:
Battle OutRun

Low Tier:
Turbo OutRun

Shit Tier:
OutRun 2019
>>
>>4020191
You forgot OutRun Europa
>>
Actually, scratch that, I forgot it wasn't produced by Sega. My bad.
>>
>>4020191
>battle outrun over anything
>2019 is shit
yeah, fuck off
>>
>>4020242
Put that in Beyond Shit, then.
>>
>>4008484
Megadrive Super Hang-On's career mode, a precursor to Super Monaco Grand Prix's career mode) is pretty great.
>>
>>4020191
OutRun 3D is pretty damn great. A huge improvement on its predecessor and great 3D effect.
>>
File: IMG_1762.jpg (33KB, 680x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1762.jpg
33KB, 680x447px
>>4020342
>>
File: bo15.gif (12KB, 496x384px) Image search: [Google]
bo15.gif
12KB, 496x384px
>>4020275
Battle Outrun wins merely for having Spaniel Sam the Dog-Eared Man
>>
File: bo16.gif (8KB, 496x384px) Image search: [Google]
bo16.gif
8KB, 496x384px
>>4020379
If that weren't enough to clinch it you also get Tina Turner in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome circa 1985...
>>
File: bo23.gif (7KB, 496x384px) Image search: [Google]
bo23.gif
7KB, 496x384px
>>4020381
...and the coup-de-grace is MR FUCKING T AS AN INFLATABLE SEX DOLL!
>>
>>4018020
It's not even a racing game, it's a rail shooter. What a dumb question.
>>
>>4022507
:(
>>
>>4007140
I'm a piece of meme shit, but honestly, Aesthetics

If there were a version of the game with no timer, just driving endlessly I'd probably still play the fuck out of it.
>>
>>4018006
There was an interview of Yu Suzuki in some French magazines. He said what he'd want for Outrun 3: virtual reality and allow a good sensation of wind.
So we may wait a bit less than 9 years to get it.
>>
>>4022835
Just put a fan in front of you tied to the speed of the car.
It not that complicated.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.