[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cvg/ - Castlevania General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

File: cv3-underground.gif (19KB, 480x448px) Image search: [Google]
cv3-underground.gif
19KB, 480x448px
Akumajō Densetsu is literally perfect edition.
>>
>>4005520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCXhfUqU88
Best track coming through.
>>
>>4005592
close, but this is the best one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhjxJ0smRfg
>>
Rondo > III > I > IV > II
>>
What is your favorite vaniavania?
>>
>>4005606
>babby's first castlevania game
>best
wew
>>
>>4005619
>Rondo
>babby's first
The fuck you on about? If anything it's the one people have played least.
>>
>>4005625
It's by far the most casual Castlevania game. And everyone's played it now since the advent of emulation as well as the PSP port/remake.
>>
>>4005648
>most casual
You're fucking delusional. Also the PSP version sold like shit to an already small install base and far fewer people emulate PC-Engine than NES and SNES. The most casual classic Castlevania is IV, that's not even up for debate.
>>
>>4005606
Yeah, this.
>>
Never understood why people love Castlevania. The game/series is horrible
>>
>>4005659
>PSP
>sold

The PSP is one of the consoles that probably sold less software thanks to piracy
I still own DXC UMD though.

Also Castlevania IV being the easiest is a stale meme, Rondo and Bloodlines are equally, if not more easy. IMO Rondo is the easiest. My favorite of the bunch though, but it's the easiest. IV has its share of old school bullshit that isn't on Rondo or Bloodlines.
>>
>>4005902
>IV has its share of old school bullshit that isn't on Rondo or Bloodlines.
For instance...?
>>
>>4005912
Not him but off the top of my head, you can't jump while standing on stairs.
>>
>>4005920
You can drop off them though, can you not? That's even worse than being able to jump on stairs.
>>
>>4005957
Rondo and Bloodlines let you do both, drop off them and jump.
>>
>TOP TIER
Rondo
III

>HIGH TIER
Bloodlines
Chronicles
I

>LOW TIER
Super Castlevania IV
>>
>>4006025
>bloodlines high
>iv low

?
>>
File: cvchronicles.jpg (106KB, 596x380px) Image search: [Google]
cvchronicles.jpg
106KB, 596x380px
>all these rankings ignoring Chronicles
Feels bad man.
>>
>>4006029
Bad game is low and good game is high
>>
>>4005973
So IV isn't 100% faithful to the NES games either.

Also, the OP multi-whip still takes the cake as the most casual design choice Konami's made for CV.
>>
>>4005520
>>4005619
Is there a more divided community than Castlevania?
>>
>>4005601
One of the few chip tracks where the arpeggios don't sound like a gimmick.
>>
>>4006042
>bad game
>IV

Wrong.
>>
>>4006932
It's not even a Castlevania game
>>
>>4006928
>chip tracks
>>
>>4006932
Don't even try arguing with /cvg/, it's nothing but trolls.
According to them no Castlevania game is good other than the first original game, every other one is casual, see:

Castlevania II:
Casual RPG mechanics

Castlevania III:
Casual flying as Alucard and bad level design

Castlevania IV:
OP whip

Castlevania Rondo of Blood:
Casual bible sub-weapon and item crash

Castlevania Bloodlines:
Casual blue orb, diagonal whip, and autoscroller levels

Chronicles/X68K:
This one is said to be hard, but I'm sure when it gets more popular it will start getting bashed for having down-ward whipping and weird sub-weapons that aren't on the original game. Also it's the "hipster's choice" (according to CV shitposters, of course, I'm not emiting my own opinions here, I personally like all these games)
>>
>>4006184
>Also, the OP multi-whip still takes the cake as the most casual design choice Konami's made for CV.

If the diagonal whipping in IV worked like in Bloodlines, I'd agree with this, but as it stands, the multi whip in IV can be a double-edged sword.
If you're not giving a direct hit with it, the whip will only make half the damage, and a lot of times enemies might fuck you up because of this.
Bloodlines doesn't have this damage variation, you always deal full damage, so Bloodlines is, according to your own judgement, more "casual".
>>
>castuelvania thread
>tryhard posers that didn't even play these games when they came out arguing over which one is easier/hardest

I'm tired of this shit already.

>>4006949
/thread
>>
>>4006934
Right, only the original Castlevania is a Castlevania game.
>>
>>4006949
>Casual flying as Alucard
I've only found a few areas where this can be usefully executed. Keep in mind that you don't even have this ability until about halfway through the game, and Alucard's route is just one of three options anyways. Those other exploits you've listed can be used right from the start of the game. That said, I don't think it affects the games overall difficulty.
>>
>>4006976
I agree with you, the list of things I've wrote aren't my own thoughts, but a compilation of inane shit I've read on Castlevania threads here.

It's basically this:
>>4006963

If it has anything different from the first Castlevania, people on here will bash it.
>>
>>4005592
>>4005601
Niggaz please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-P4SjqtRkg
>>
>>4006990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3og-QNq8o
Sounds like doom metal.
>>
My favourite is Symphony of the Night. I love the RPG elements.
The grinding was pretty boring, tho. I left the sword familiar killing fishmen for hours without me at the controller.
>>
I don't like the direction they took with IV but that doesn't mean it's a bad game
>>
Every Castlevania after the NES CV1 changed direction in some way or another.
I think the hate IV gets on this board is mostly contrarian reaction for being popular with "normies".
>>
>>4007023
IV was the first Castlevania I played and I always thought it was completely mediocre. When I finally played I, III, and Rondo I was blown away by how much better they were. Especially Rondo. That game is damn near perfect.
>>
>>4007040
At this point I think Rondo is as overrated as IV.
Still I find both games amazing, but they are overrated. Well, IV might be a bit underrated on this board.
>>
>>4007046
Rondo's definitely not overrated, it's just legitimately great. It's the peak of the classic stage-based action platformer game design, not just in Castlevania either.
>>
>>4007049
It's not really, I can cherrypick a lot of stuff I think isn't "perfect" on Rondo, but I don't want to trash it because I like it, but it's not perfect, and it's not the best Castlevania.
>It's the peak of the classic stage-based action platformer game design
See? you're overrating here, probably on purpose.
>>
>>4007051
I haven't played a better game of that style than Rondo. Which games do you think best it, and in what ways?
>>
>>4007073
>what games
We'll end up in a vapid argument of subjectiveness and taste, I just find that it's not as perfect at it was hyped up to be, but it's still on my top 5 Castlevanias.
>>
>>4007046
I'm 24. Aside from SOTN rondo is the most overrated, I pirated an .exe version of it when I was 12. So did tons of kids I know
>>
>>4006957
>so Bloodlines is, according to your own judgement, more "casual".
No, because you can only do a diagonal whip when you jump in Bloodlines. Also you'd have to be a retard to fuck up the whip in IV. And the whip dongle you mentioned stunlocks enemies making them easier to avoid.
>>
>>4007595
Bloodlines is easy as fuck.
>>
>>4005659
Rondo is easy as fuck weeb shite you fucking millenial untermensch faggo.
>>
Drac X is my fav, suck a dick rondo shitters.
>>
What is that good about IV? I can see why some may say it is good, but how could it possibly be the best? It is not the best at anything.
>>
Is the JP or NA version of Castlevania 3 better?
>>
How the fuck do i beat the doppelgänger boss. Ive gotten all the way to him with Trevor alone but he stomps my shit in every time.
>>
>>4009050
JP version has a more manageable difficulty and better music.
>>
>>4009110
attack, select, attack, select until he dies
>>
>>4009036
(You)
>>
>>4009189
So you just like it for no reason?
>>
>>4009198
(You)
>>
>>4009206
You're just offended?
>>
>>4009217
(You)
>>
imo
SotN>OoE>AoS
>>
Why are Castlevania fans so obsessed with difficulty?
The first game wasn't even that hard anyways, I've always found it to be easier than SMB.
>>4009036
Normies like the more loose controls, that's about it.
>>
>>4009876
>Why are Castlevania fans so obsessed with difficulty?

It's a "e-cred" series. Say you like Castlevania online and you're badass. Say you find most of them easy as fuck (especially the most popular ones), and you get double badass e-cred.
Then there's the whole console/system war aspect of it, especially during 16bit era where CV games were released for SNES, Genesis, PC Engine and even Amiga.
>>
>>4007891
I never mentioned the overall difficulty, just comparing the controls between TNG and Super. I suppose IV might have more tedious level design, but the gameplay make mooks and bosses relatively harmless.
>>
>>4009036
I've always liked the game, but haven't really given it much thought about why I like it so much more than the other Castlevanias

I think a lot of it has to do with presentation. The first six levels you aren't even in the castle and when you finally get to the entrance the music and the mood of that level is just right.
Then a lot of the bosses and levels are memorable, like the dancing ghosts, the giant chandelier and the treasure-chamber level. And the spinning rooms and all that. The game keeps delivering unique things all over the entire game and for the time it felt like a long game.
Then I think the graphics are awesome.
I do think the gameplay is really solid too. You have the whip to whip in all directions, so Simon is more powerful than before, but you are still slow as always, you always fall backwards when hurt and like all Castlevanias there are a bunch of cheap ways to die.
I know a lot of people complain about the whip completely destroying the Death boss-battle, but I never looked down on IV:s Death because of that. You still have to fight Slogra and Gaibon before so back when I first beat Death I didn't "pfff, easy!", I always thought "phew I'm glad that is over" - because it is kind of an endurance round fighting all those three and they all have their own patterns, so you need to quickly figure the shit out (when you are new)

But the game has flaws ofc, some bosses you just wail on without thought and more than often you have 99 hearts. I don't agree on the weapons being useless though, getting tri-boomerang is always my goal when I play it.

I would probably like Rondo a lot more if I gave it as much time as Castlevania IV, but from what I have played I still think Castlevania IV does atmosphere and memorable stuff better than Rondo, even though Rondo has some really cool shit in it too, like fighting Death in the beginning, then on the pirate ship etc
>>
>>4009876
>>4009880
It's not just that it is e-cred, it's also that the game series became completely casualised by the Metroidvanias. So people tend to emphasize the difficulty when they express their love for castlevania because that is something that has been lost for the franchise
though I wanna make the case that Lords of Shadow (mostly LoS 1) brought the difficulty back and that was one of the main reasons to why I loved that game
>>
>>4006949
I've only beaten Chronicles in arranged mode. I don't even get how you are supposed to beat the bone dragon on the raft in classic mode.
>>
>>4011765
If you thought bone dragon was hard, wait till you get to medusa and she-wolf.
>>
>>4011760
circle of the moon can be tough at times
>>
File: cv64b.png (113KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
cv64b.png
113KB, 320x240px
>>4011760
I didn't play LoS, but CV64 felt dangerous and lethal all the time, it had the classic feel.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.