[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Regional difficulty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_lk5kt5yybB1qbw2q1o1_1280.jpg (408KB, 1280x799px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lk5kt5yybB1qbw2q1o1_1280.jpg
408KB, 1280x799px
What is /vr/'s thoughts on this on the whole, and what are some good examples of games that were made better or worse because of this

Posting an example of a game made worse
>>
File: flyer-rastan1u.jpg (278KB, 850x1099px) Image search: [Google]
flyer-rastan1u.jpg
278KB, 850x1099px
>>4005476

Game was fair in its original Japanese arcade version. But Taito USA was afraid that good gamers might beat the game on one quarter. Can't have that. So they jacked the random re-spawns to stupid levels, requiring even very good gamers to keep feeding the machine in order to continue.
>>
>>4005485
It seems like that happened more for console games because of rentals, the just arcade games
>>
>>4005476
I'm not really a fan of it unless it's just changing something made to be intentionally bullshit so kids in America couldn't beat it while renting the game over the weekend like Battletoads.
>>
Inb4 Working Designs defense force
>>
>>4005476
I think Ninja Gaiden 3 is a good example of this, the usa version featured the famous limited continues we all know and nobody asked for
>>
File: resi1.jpg (109KB, 736x749px) Image search: [Google]
resi1.jpg
109KB, 736x749px
Resident Evil was made worse.
>>
>>4007754
You mean better.

And Resident Evil 2 is a LOT better than Biohazard 2.
>>
>>4007758
I think he means how they removed auto aim
>>
here's another game made worse
>>
>>4007761
Yeah, I meant that.

>>4007758
>And Resident Evil 2 is a LOT better than Biohazard 2.
I believe you is my favourite RE game. What did they change?
>>
hong kong version of donpachi is impossible but it's actually funner than the japanese version somehow
>>
>>4007772
I'd rather have robots over 2 fagets
>>
>>4007772
At least they didn't touch the gameplay, apart form the obligatory PAL slowdown.

Two Rambo-Ripoffs shooting stuff was cool, but in my book two robots shooting stuff is also pretty radical. Arguably some of the enemy sprites suffered in quality in the transition.
>>
>>4008047
>obligatory PAL slowdown.

makes the game unplayable tbqh
>>
>>4008152
>>4008015
no need to have a mental breakdown because someone doesn't like your shitty game, kid
maybe /v/ is more your speed
>>
>>4007772
>This Game Pak may not be used with the Mattel or NES versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System
How are you supposed to play it then? On a Retron 5™?
>>
>>4008051
Not everyone gets to enjoy the privilege of growing up and living in NTSC territories. ;__;

A-at least it's still a 1st world country...
>>
>>4008216
Robots are objectively cooler
>>
>>4005485
Yeah it's quite more difficult but at least that fixed the infinite score problem with the japanese version.

>>4005493
It depends, a lot of Konami arcades are cheap as fuck in the west compared to the japanese versions, while other stuff like Toaplan shmups were a bit easier in the west.
>>
>>4008553
It looks like it is PAL B, so they wanted it to be played on the NES released in that part of Europe. Although I believe PAL is PAL as far as the NES is concerned, and it would work on any PAL NES
>>
>>4009062
No, PAL-A and PAL-B games are only playable with their respective consoles. Disabling the lockout chip will of course allow you to play any region game on any console (with adapters for famicom consoles/cartridges). Then, there should be no discernible difference between the consoles and games of the two PAL regions.

If only there was an easy way to fix the 50HZ slowdown, though. ;__;
>>
>>4008047
>apart form the obligatory PAL slowdown.
That's the machine, not the game, dickhead.
>>
>>4007785
In Biohazard 2, things are easier because supplies items (ammo, herb) are handed out to you in plain sight.

In RE2 they hid a tons of ammo, making it more survival horror.

Also IIRC bosses have less HP in BH2.
>>
ActRaiser 2 was made harder for the US, which is a shame. I bet it would've done better if it wasn't so needlessly hard.
>>
PAL Rygar is fucking brutal, especially the final boss because they gimped the leveling. It's obvious they didn't even playtest it fully.
>>
>>4009279
Which version?
>>
>>4009280
>PAL Rygar

gee I wonder which version
>>
>>4009296
I don't know, it was on pretty much everything.
>>
>>4005986
Ninja Gaiden 3 was made better from the added difficulty

The japanese version is disappointingly easy compared to the others
>>
>>4009229
>making it more survival horror.
This sentence makes no sense. Let me rewrite it for you.
>In RE2 they hid a tons of ammo, making it more challenging.
Now it's fine.
>>
>>4009279
>>4009280
>>4009296
>>4009303
Do the whole NTSC/PAL standards even apply for arcade games? I thought that only counts for TV monitors.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.