[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super Mario 3 is not the top NES game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: top10instaplayablenesgames.gif (12KB, 540x200px) Image search: [Google]
top10instaplayablenesgames.gif
12KB, 540x200px
Pretty much every "Top 10 NES games" list has the same top 10 games. But something I've noticed is that generally the games were all surpassed elsewhere.
• Super Mario Bros 3 - surpassed by Kirby's Adventure
• Super Mario Bros. - Surpassed by Adventure Island
• Legend of Zelda - surpassed by Crystalis
• Metroid - surpassed by Ufouria,
• Final Fantasy - surpassed by Dragon Warrior 4
• Megaman 2 - surpassed by 3 - 6
• Castlevania - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty
• Zelda 2 - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty
• Duck Tales - it's okay, but not top 10
• Punch Out - this one deserves to be here

Why does everyone forget the superior games?
>>
>>4004274
>Final Fanstasy
>even on the top 10
>DQ3 alone shits on any NES FF
>>
>>4004274
>Castlevania
>shitty

nah your a shit eating pleb, also Castlevania III was infinitely superior
>>
File: 1z23p68.jpg (27KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1z23p68.jpg
27KB, 600x480px
>Castlevania - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty

Got me until that part OP.
>>
>>4004274
Avoiding the contentious nature of the post itself, it really depends on what the top 10 games list is going for
top 10 games in terms of fun?
How about in terms of remembrance?
Impact?
Legacy?
Popularity?
You're gonna have to quantify what you're actually going for here
>>
>>4004290
>>4004291
Have you guys played it recently?
It is really not good.

Maybe my opinion is skewed because I got the NES as it was dying (top loader) so I basically played all the games in reverse.
So I played Kirby's Adventure, then Mario Bros 3 then Mario Bros. So by the time I got to the OG Mario Bros I played it for about 20 minutes and then said, "Fuck it, this is so primitive."

Same thing with Castlevania, I played 3 first, then 2, then 1, but even with that I still realized those controls and cheap deaths were shit.
>>
>>4004301
Only cheap part is the Medusa heads + Axe knights on Death's level. Rest of the game is extremely manageable.
>>
>he prefers Punch-Out! to Castlevania and Adventure Of Link
Top pleb.
>>
>>4004301
I won't pretend it's one of the best games ever but the first Castlevania is far from shitty. Aside from the whip delay the controls are great for a platformer on the system and any cheap death is inconsequential considering you can just continue and not fuck up there the next time.
>>
>>4004340
It's a lot of little things mostly. For example the whole 'no mid air control' or 'no jumping to or from a ladder'.
It's sorta like going back to Goldeneye and realizing you can't walk off a ramp. It is something that should have been fixed by 3 and it still wasn't.
Super Castlevania was a HUGE upgrade in that regard.
>>
>>4004274
Video games form a partially order set. Top 10 lists are too simplistic.
>>
>• Super Mario Bros 3 - surpassed by Kirby's Adventure
>• Super Mario Bros. - Surpassed by Adventure Island
How? Mario is superior.

>• Legend of Zelda - surpassed by Crystalis
Nice meme, but wrong.

>• Metroid - surpassed by Ufouria
Definitely true. Americans overrate Metroid heavily because they think it invented the semi-open adventure style, even though there were countless popular games released earlier, like Jet Set Willy. Funnily enough, Uforia was never released in the US either. The real reason you never see this on a (mainstream) best-of list is because it's too rare.

>• Final Fantasy - surpassed by Dragon Warrior 4
I don't understand why any NES RPG is deserving enough to be top 10 material, unless you're a casual who places judgement on how popular the brand is. CRPGs are factually superior and the progenitor of any JRPG.

>• Megaman 2 - surpassed by 3 - 6
Nah. 2 was always the best, and still is.

>• Castlevania - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty
>• Zelda 2 - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty
Both are good, as far as action-adventure games are concerned. I could see the possible argument of these titles being replaced by others in the action genre, but I don't understand how you can justify calling these games shitty.
>>
>>4004352
Yes but Super Castlevania was designed accordingly, with much faster and tricky platforming and enemies that attacked you from different angles, plus you can't really jump on stairs, only drop off them. You can jump right in them though, that's good.
Rondo implemented the jumping on stairs.

CV is a good game, it's cleverly designed around the limitations of the character.
If getting knocked back pisses you off, the only advice I can give you is: don't get hit.
>>
Crystalis is insanely overrated. It feels less dated than most other games of its kind on NES is all, otherwise it's incredibly shallow.
>>
>>4004352
>For example the whole 'no mid air control' or 'no jumping to or from a ladder'.

You're just too big of a mouth breathing retard to wrap your head around a platformer not letting you double spin jump all over the level. This is akin to people saying Dark Souls is bullshit because of "deliberately clunky controls".
>>
>>4004360
Which is the point that was being made.
While Crystlis is not exactly a great game, it IS more polished than Zelda. So if Zelda is on a 'top 10' list, then Crystalis should be too.
>>
>>4004364
There's so much more to a good game than "polish" I can't believe I even have to say this
>>
>>4004274
>Zelda
>Topped by Crystalis
I like Crystalis a lot, probably more than Zelda, but to say one is better than the other is stupid.

There's a lot of Bullshit in Crystalis like not being able to damage bosses until you're a certain level.

>You're just now realizing that Top 10's are literally clickbait
>You're just now realizing that people love them for two reasons
>One
>If the top 10 list is the same as your's, you're validated and feel good
>if the top 10 list is full of garbage, you're superior and feel good.
>>
Ass blasted, the post.
>>
Honestly, I'd put Crystalis at the top of the list. Gameplay-wise, it's at least a generation ahead of its time.
>>
>>4004369
Crystalis's bullshit was much less annoying than Zelda's.
I can't recall anything I had to look up a guide for in Crystalis, but I do recall having to in Zelda.
"Oh, just bomb this random rock or push this random grave."
>>
>>4004352
I can see how that would get frustrating for you anon, but all those things are more design choices than bad game design. No mid-air control means the player has to pick and choose their movements and attacks. The encounters are directly built around these limitations as well. It makes the game more strategic than twitchy, which some find appealing.
>>
File: 1457436060182.jpg (61KB, 599x773px) Image search: [Google]
1457436060182.jpg
61KB, 599x773px
>>4004274
Get out.
>>
>>4004379
You sound like a colossal faggot with zero critical thinking skills if you had to look up anything for Zelda besides what was in the manual.
>>
>>4004301
Kirby's adventure is phenomenal but shouldn't really be compared to SMB or castlevania.

Castlevania is completely fair though, only difficult part is death and you can cheese it with holy water if you want.
>>4004358
>CRPGs are factually superior and the progenitor of any JRPG.
They're both great.
>Nah. 2 was always the best, and still is.
4 is better, 2 is second in regards to the nes games though.
>>
I disagree.
>>
>>4004301
I'll fight you. I am 20 and only played Castlevania on the 3DS eShop but I think it's great.
>>
>>4004416
You are missing the point. If you have a list with either SMB or CV, but NOT with KA. Then either of those could be removed to make space for KA.
>>
>>4004432
>I am 20
>3DS eShop

Get out.
>>
>>4004379
Just because you personally had to look up a guide doesn't mean that was particularly common
I'm not saying that you lack the ability to problem solve but that's actually exactly what I'm saying
The game can be pretty obtuse at times but damn son
>>
>Doesn't even including the AVGN dad's essentials "Top Gun" and "Golf"

>Not the fancy one, just "Golf"
>>
>>4004375
If Crystalis had been released on the SNES it'd be relegated to mediocre generic pile status with stuff like Lagoon.
>>
>>4004942
And if TLOZ had been released on SNES if would have been dubbed "shitty with terrible controls, impossible puzzles and crappy graphics"
I know you had a point, I just don't know what it is.
>>
>>4004274
top ten lists don't list the most obvious one because everyone knows that one already and their audience would tune out subconsiously
>>
>>4004274
OP touches a lot of vagina, I can tell.
>>
>>4005286
TLoZ doesn't really have puzzles. There are a few rooms where you push a single block to unlock doors, rooms where you bomb open walls, one bush you need to burn and one lake you need to play the flute at. I've just told you how to beat every "puzzle" in the game with the exception of the lost woods screen.
>>
>>4006235
How about spectacle rock?
>>
>>4004274
>Duck Tales
>it's okay
>but not top 10
>not top ten

You're right its in the top 5
>>
My favorint NES game is Power Blade get at me, dogs.
>>
>>4004274
>Super Mario 3 is not the top NES game

Sure it is. Huge number of diverse levels, excellent gameplay mechanics, nice graphics, lots of secrets for added replayability. The only way you'd say it's not the #1 game on the console is if you just have an irrational hatred for platformers.
>>
>>4004274
>Super Mario 3 is not the top NES game

It pretty much is though.
>>
>>4004274
>• Super Mario Bros 3 - surpassed by Kirby's Adventure
>• Super Mario Bros. - Surpassed by Adventure Island
>• Metroid - surpassed by Ufouria
>• Castlevania - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty
>• Zelda 2 - No need to be surpassed, it was shitty

I think you might be literally retarded. These are the worst tastes I have ever seen.
>>
>>4006585
What about your dad's taste in women? That was pretty bad.
>>
>>4004285
Both FF 3 and DQ IV shit all over DQ III and any sane person on this planet knows that
>>
>>4004274
How the fuck is Crystalis considered good by anybody? It's like a shitty, incredibly grindy Ys with imprecise controls, boring maps and damage sponges in place of enemies.
>>
>>4004942
Lagoon got the best soundtrack for snes
>>
>>4004274
bullshit almost every new top 10 list will have Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus

I have not seen many list in the last 2 years without this game.
>>
File: 1493699393861.png (183KB, 308x539px) Image search: [Google]
1493699393861.png
183KB, 308x539px
>Super Mario Bros. - Surpassed by Adventure Island
what.
>>
>>4010147
I've never heard of it. What did it score on a certain NES guidebook?
>>
>>4010207
I couldnt say, it was a game that wasnt appreciated when it came out. But a few years ago people started realizing it is really good.
>>
>>4004358
I love how you Europlebes think people praise Metroid for its openness and not because of the equipment and weapons with varied uses that aid in exploration.

Also if you like UFOURIA you will probably love Adventure Island 4.
>>
>>4004364
Crystalis is actually an RPG, unlike Zelda.
>>
>>4006484
I lump that in with the bombing open walls thing, but I suppose I can consider that a riddle of sorts. My point still stands, You can describe the solution to every "puzzle" in just a short few sentences.

I guess that brings up the question, by what level of complexity do we define the puzzle? I think at a certain point something becomes so simple of a puzzle that it just becomes "the devs blowing smoke up your ass" and pretending they aren't just giving the game the illusion of complexity.
>>
>>4010147
Oh hey, so is pretending that Dinowarz is considered even mediocre your "thing" or something? Are you trying to alter the boards perspective of this game to get a cheap thrill?
>>
File: UNG2.png (234KB, 445x1148px) Image search: [Google]
UNG2.png
234KB, 445x1148px
>>4010214
3 stars? Mediocre at best.
>>
>>4010246
Well I don't remember role-playing in either.
>>
>>4004301
Literally played Castlevania last week from start till finished, only had trouble with death. The game is very fair, it teaches you the rules and the enemy types very early on, and you never get killed by something you can't avoid. The overall theme of the game is great, the music is awesome, spritework is top notch for fairly early NES. I love it and I never played it as a kid either. I think that it's just "cool" to hate on it.
>>
>>4010272
Fucking Ian.

Posting about his sore tum-tums in a book related to video game reviews.

Jesus Christ... Pat seriously needed to hire a graphic designer or an editor. This shit is fucking awful.
>>
>>4010272
newfags who base their opinion off old reviews instead of actually playing the game.

It was overlooked when it was released, now it is a cult classic. Actually try it.
>>
>>4006585
It's hard to believe anyone actually believes adventure island is better than SMB
>>4006608
it's like you're not even trying
>>
File: 1495123580909.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495123580909.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>4004274
>Mario 3 x Kirby
No, but close. Both top 10
>SMB x Adventure Island
Ishiggy
>LoZ x Crystalis
I actually liked Crystalis better for GBC. Good luck saying that around here.
>Metroid x Ufouria
The fuck is a Ufouria? 'murrica
>FF x DW
Isn't there a containment thread for that?
>MM2 x 3-6
3-6? 3 maybe. Definitely for music.
>'vania
kys
>Zelda 2
kys twice
>Duck Tales
Underrated. Could top 10 depending.
>Punch Out
Is good, but repetitive by design. Could top 10 also, depending.

Also, the mandatory "your opinion is shit" or whatever we are doing here.
>>
While fun is subjective, I'd go with this list for overall fun:
Kirby's Adventure
Ufouria
Megaman 3
Super C
Dragon Warrior 4

StarTropics
Crystalis
Mario Bros 2
Adventure of Lolo 3
Castlevania 3

Find a better version of any of these games. Protip: you most likely won't be able to, though since fun is subjective you may have a different opinion that I totally respect.
>>
>>4004274
Number 1 is Ninja Giaden
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.