[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you prefer the gba or the snes version of ffvi and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 8

File: 2017-05-18-10-16-20--962651787.jpg (13KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-18-10-16-20--962651787.jpg
13KB, 302x167px
Do you prefer the gba or the snes version of ffvi and why?
>>
>>4002386
It's a hard one, but I think I lean just slightly to the side of the Super Nintendo version because of the me not being a complete fucking cretin thing
>>
>>4002386
They both suck
Reason: FF6 isn't good
>>
snes.The gba ver`s sound is poor.
>>
>>4002410
>I have incredibly bad taste in games.
>>
Gba is lower resolution
>>
>>4002386
GBA, has a Spanish translation.
>>
>>4002386
Both were good, but can we all just agree that the smartphone and steam versions suck?
>>
>>4002386
The extra content in the GBA version makes the drop in sound quality worth it.
>>
Handheld port of any console game is inferior to the original. This is fact. Fags will try to tell you shit like >muh translation but every other facet of the game is superior on the console.
>>
>>4003061
Yes. All of Square's phone ports of their classic games look like indie tier shit
>>
SNES. Higher resolution, better sound quality. Shame that you won't get the extra content though.
>>
>>4002457
Good to know, anon.
>>
>>4003167
There are patches for those
>>
>>4003168
The gba version has additional content as well. Also the psp ports of ff1 and ff2 were superior to the console version.
>>4003170
1 and 2 looked great, but that's just because they stole their graphics from the psp port, 3 and 4 are passable and steal their graphics from the ds version, which I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with, and 7 and 9 look exactly like the originals, although that's based on the images provided by the app store. 5 and 6 were the 2 they had to make new graphics for and they honestly look like they were made in rpg maker. Oh, and all of them have shit controls. I haven't played the non FF square mobile games, so I can't speak for those.
>>
>>4002386
GBA. Works better than the SNES version on a CFW PSP, has less bugs, music is practically identical with the patch.
>>
>>4003225
I'm playing it on Android not psp
>>
>>4002457
Really? The gameplay is all kinds of screwed up. The enemies are easier than ever because of weirdly low stats, even Kefka is pathetically undertuned. Many stats and skills are broken. The job system is replaced with the boring esper system that makes certain characters useless.
>>
>>4003051
>has a Spanish translation.

Mmm ... en verdad da que pensar.
>>
>>4002386
>Enjoying the SNES version when evasion doesn't even work

How do you fuck up that bad? How is a core mechanic being entirely worthless possibly just an oversight?
>>
>>4002386
SNES because there are mods for it that turn it into a game that isn't shit.
>>
>>4003758
RPGs all always have tons of bugs especially as they get more and more complicated. FFVI had a lot of status effecting states and special attacks that would change character behavior that stretched the programming with workarounds and one of the victims was evasion not working as intended.

Pretty much every FF has something that got overlooked, in FFVII magic defense on armour does nothing
>>
>>4003758
Blind doesn't work either. You just get cool shades.
>>
>>4002386
I'll always prefer the SNES version over the GBA for this game. The resolution, the music, just the overall feel is better IMO.

Sure you can patch the SNES pallete back and there is a Music restoration but it's not the same. The added content is nice but not needed and the FONT, ugh.

If you want the best version IMO is Woolsey Uncensored - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386
>>
>>4003758
Presumably because you can still evade, it just uses the magic evade for all attacks.
>>
>>4003309
A flawed game is not a bad game.
>>
>>4004453
An easy game is a boring game
>>
SNES in Japanese. I don't know how the various translation patches are, but the official SNES translation is hot garbage.
>>
>>4002386
SNES because I am an adult hetrosexual who likes having sex with women.
>>
>>4004467
If you spend all your time grinding, of course it's going to be easy. Quit being a pussy.
>>
>>4004739
You don't need to grind to make FFVI a joke. Quit being a retard.
>>
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't play the original.
>>
Whats a GBA? Not retro. PS version ftw
>>
>>4003309
People probably got mad when Neo Exdeath kicked the shit out of them. Hardest final boss in the series in my opinion
>>
>>4003856
This. Woolsey Uncensored + Fix + Opera + Menu Music + Add-ons is the best way to play Final Fantasy VI on Super Famicom.

The shrunken FOV on the Game Boy Advance version is awful and the music restoration sounds off.
The new music in the Game Boy Advance is quite good on it's own but the Super Famicom soundtrack is still better.

But, I, for one, actually love the added content and Square Enix's Game Boy Advance/DS font (the one on the US version, the European font is the one that's actually awful).

But I wish someone made a ROM hack which would be a port of the Game Boy Advance versions to the Super Famicom ROMs.
The ROM hack would have the best of both Game Boy Advance and Super Famicom versions.
>>
File: 1494438738806.jpg (192KB, 1200x891px) Image search: [Google]
1494438738806.jpg
192KB, 1200x891px
>pixel graphics
>muh resolution
kys
>>
>>4004985
> Woolsey Uncensored + Fix + Opera + Menu Music + Add-ons
This is ridiculous, the game is so bad you need to apply 7 patches on top of each other to make it bearable
>>
>>4004967
I get where you're coming from, I don't think GBA in general should be allowed here. But it has always been acceptable to talk about ports. Always. As in all the way back in 2013 GBA ports of NES/SNES/whatever games were fair game to discuss. Ports are fine, remove the stick from your ass.
>>
>>4004991
Actually, the Bugfix, Updated Opera, Menu Music and Add-Ons patches are embedded on the Woolsey Uncensored patch.

And you can choose to install only the Woolsey Uncensored patch or a combination of the other four.

And I just copypasted the name from my ROM from the SD2SNES ROM pack.
>>
>>4002386
SNES has better sound. So I prefer that version.
>>
>>4004967
Have fun waiting 10 every random battle encounter
>>
>>4004997
No one gives a shit about tripfaggot opinions.
>>
>>4004751

t. grindbabby
>>
>>4006205
t. retard

You can make the whole game a joke in an LLG, no grind needed. If you're playing the game normally, or even avoiding a bunch of encounters, it's still stupidly easy.
>>
>>4006215
>FFVI isn't a tedious dick-hammering exercise like FFII therefore it is bad.

Sorry about your bad taste in vidya, anon.
>>
the point of jrpgs is the story, and the story/translation is better in the gba version. also less censorship. its worth losing a little a little audio and video resolution to play a better version of the game.

of course you van just apply a shitton of patches to make the snes version good, but the gba is the best official engrish release.
>>
>>4002386
GBA (with sound patch) > SNES > GBA > PS1

>>4004967
I'm a sonygger, but the PS1 port isn't very good, the loading times are disgusting (Chrono Trigger has the same problem).

TOSE has terrible programmers, PSP's Final Fantasy Tactics has slowdowns that don't exist in the original PS1 version too.
>>
>>4004991
No that's ONE patch. When you download it, it comes with a variety of patches and you only need to apply ONE of them to your ROM. The read me file tells you what's in each one.
>>
>>4004969
I used to think that too until I learned that spamming Gil toss works wonders in that fight
>>
>>4002386
The best way to play the game is the SNES version with the patch that fixes all of the bugs.

The GBA has a shitty soundchip and lower resolution. Extra dungeons are cool, but not THAT cool
>>
>>4007348
Spread attacks in general hurt him bad. I beat him with quick/dualcast bahamut
But I swear he hits harder than other final bosses. One shot of meteor wound up killing half my team
>>
>>4007547
Giant Drink/Goliath Tunic and Shell make a huge difference - without those Meteor, Flare and Almagest are a bitch
>>
>>4003168
>Handheld port of any console game is inferior to the original.
how about no. actual portability is a huge factor in me finishing big games. like no fucking way am i gonna play persona 5 before there's a port. and i'm not talking about taking it outside (which i do) but not being forced to sit in front of the tv for long hours is a god send. which is why i'm willing to accept some inferiority and play a lot of games on handhelds, unless the port is utter shit.
>>
>>4003193
No there aren't. The only special content that you can get via patch is the music player.

tbqh the GBA content for VI is a lot shitier than V or VI though. Grind city for nothing but character specific weapons in a game where there are few.
>>
>>4002386
SNES wins out if you're using something like TWUE. Atmosphere just takes too hard a hit for me.
>>
>>4003213
>steal graphics
They're straight ports that may or may not run in an emulator shell.
>>
>>4007629
Get a Vita and remote play P5.
>>
>>4004991
The C.V. Bugfix compilation has 180. Each one is an individual patch.

180 patches to fix every bug where a fix has been found. Granted some are tiny and the script fixing is light as a feather on it, but still.
>>
>>4006453
It's a tedious exercise because it's so braindead. It's not in a better position than a game that's hard in an unfair way.
>>
File: ramenz.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
ramenz.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>4002386
SNES. Slightly biased, I grew up on it. But I don't like most of the GBA remakes. Not bad games, but the OG games on SNES are much better imo.
They look and sound proper. Other than localization and some bugs there is no comparison.
>>
>>4008623
I agree, it is tedious when you overgrind and spoil your own experience then call the game bad because it didn't stomp your delicate little balls.
>>
>>4009084
Level 25 is not overgrinding no matter how much you want it to be.
>>
>>4009103
>Level 25
>not overgrinding

I rest my case.
>>
>>4009138
You have to put actual effort into avoiding encounters to have that level by the end of the game.
>>
>>4009142
>This game is trash solely on the merit I find it "too easy"
>But don't expect me to actually do anything to make it challenging for me

I think we're done here. :^)
>>
>>4009152
I've LLGed the game. Eat shit.
>>
>>4009158
>LLG
>Level 25

Go lower.
>>
>>4009163
Who said anything about level 25 being an LLG? That's just what you get if you sprint for the Moogle Charm and keep it on for most of the game.
>>
File: lel.jpg (36KB, 600x246px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
36KB, 600x246px
>>4009170
>>
>>4003781
Anything in particular you like?
>>
>>4009345
I know of one ROM hack for VI that I have been playing through that is pretty fun and engaging. But I'll be damned if I tell a tripfag anything about it. Into the filter you go
>>
File: snrub.jpg (16KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
snrub.jpg
16KB, 500x376px
>>4009410
Perhaps you would tell me, good sir? Also, I think we should give the money back to the power plant!
>>
Does he not realize that I filtered the tripcode and not the name?
>>
>>4009410
>>4009469
/co/ here - Minifig is mostly harmless, he just forgets to take his tripcode off 90% of the time.

Anyway, yeah, SNES FF VI is best.
>>
gba is worth a playthrough.
one of the autists at /ffg/ who can read jap has been playing through the games and comparing the scripts and has said that the gba version is more faithful with it's retranslation.
>>
>>4010174
Then they went and ruined the faithfulness it by adding the Weapons of Magitek Destruction joke
>>
>>4010181
If one new joke ruins the translation you must absolutely hate the SNES version.
>>
>>4010190
They actually kept the SNES memes in, they just changed Son of a Submariner to Son of a Sandworm, neither of which is accurate to the Japanese script
>>
>>4010190
It's kinda shitty to have topical political references in a fantasy RPG, this is the exact same shit people criticize about Working Designs
>>
>>4010213
They fixed everything they could, but they left in the memes that fans love. If they did a perfect translation the old fans would hate it, but if they didn't even try to fix the translation the purists would hate it. There was no winning.
>>
>>4010265
Still doesn't justify putting a totally out of place Bush joke in it
>>
>>4010265
There was nothing to fix, though, besides small nitpicks like switching Shadow's gender at some point or censoring a suicide attempt Woolsey didn't make many mistakes
>>
>>4010292
The Woolsey translation isn't so bad. It adds some memorable lines, it has a certain charm, and aside from the suicide scene you brought up (which was clearly the worst bit of censorship in the game), only the dialog between Edgar and Relm during the post-Leo Thamasa scene is a bit confusing so as to obscure the intent. Other than that and changing Darryl's line from "Or do you like staring at my butt?" to "Or do you like to chew on my wake?", the fate of Shadow is still pretty clear (although the Japanese version is definitely more direct about it) and just about everything else has the same meaning across the translations. Even the "Do I look like a waiter?" line which some critics of the Woolsey translation had cited as an example of his shoddy work was in fact the same in the Japanese version.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the translation that made many a FFVI fan out of people. The differences are pretty simple, I think. The Woolsey translation favors conciseness while peppering in some humor, the Japanese translation is very direct and serious (and Kefka says bitch! [face_tongue]), and the GBA version is more wordy with a touch of some extra pop culture references.

Chrono Trigger was also retranslated (because there are people who complained about that translation as well, and having read about the differences, there are actually more changes than with FFVI's sometimes maligned translation), and hearing from some who have played DS version (I haven't read the fan translation), there really isn't a big difference. Basically, the writers use more words to say what is essentially the same thing, which could be as much of a negative as it is a positive.
>>
>>4010283
WMD has been a common phrase for decade. It isn't a Bush joke, it's just a dumb pun.
>>4010292
He did the absolute best he could have, given the incredible time crunch and 90s Nintendo's bullshit, but that doesn't make it a great translation. The GBA version allows for less censorship (other than one scene) and a more direct translation. He's more of a localizer and some people prefer a more literal slant.
>>
>>4010298
>WMD has been a common phrase for decade. It isn't a Bush joke, it's just a dumb pun.
If I recall correctly Emperor Gestahl says something along the line "they're hiding weapons of magitek destruction" which is an obvious reference to the Iraq war
>>
>>4010303
What's the original line?
>>
>>4003061
But those are the best
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (53KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
53KB, 360x240px
>>4010315
I was wrong, it's actually Banon who says it. I'll check the line in the Woolsey script
>>
File: 3-17062011_165609.png (24KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
3-17062011_165609.png
24KB, 512x448px
>>4010348
This is the woolsey translation
>>
>>4010348
>>4010357
https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-(by-Blastinus)/Update%2013/
https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-Advance-(by-vilkacis)/Update%2014/
>>
>>4010348
>>4010357
>>4010360
Awesome detective work. That was really fast.
It still doesn't read like a Bush joke to me, although the WMD controversy is probably what got the term "WMD" stuck in the translator's head, and Bush would definitely spring to mind if you played this game in the eraly 2000s.The worst thing I can say is that the phrase is awkward, but the phrasing of the original line is just as awkward, if not more so. I don't feel like it's enough to spoil the script.
>>
>>4010348
omg i hate steve bannon now
>>
>>4003061
It's shit mountain most of the time, it's only redeeming qualities are the battle backgrounds and enemies. Maybe summons sometimes, but Siren's kept censored with no patch for it.
>>
>>4007856
I totally agree. Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition all the way!
>>
>>4002386
PSX
>>
>>4011061
Yeah if you love long load times.
>>
>>4011061
This is the worst option.
>>
>>4011061
inb4 ps1
>>
>>4010293
The thing is that we're talking FF here.

More than any other series, the FF games keep themselves united as a series via returning content as opposed to being direct sequels or whatever. Items, magic, enemy names, etc.. Returning players are supposed to get immediately what does what in a new battle system with this idea. It's like how new pokemon games use returning mons, except in a new FF game the thing named is only similar to other installments.

On that end Woolsey absolutely failed and the retranslation is a complete improvement. But the culprit is more the fault of the character limits and the US not having a consistent release of FF games until VI than him.
>>
>>4003061
it fixes cyan at least.
you can command the other characters while he's charging.
>>
>>4010992
There's a mod for the PC version.
>>
>>4002386

The Brave New World romhack is the only way for me to play anymore.
>>
Is this the best Final Fantasy for someone new to the series?
>>
>>4011504
It's not perfect, but it's my favorite. Plot-wise and music-wise, it is the best in the series. There are games with better battle and job mechanics (FFIII, FFV) but you could do worse for a first Final Fantasy.
>>
>>4011517
>music-wise

I'm sorry my man but the best music is still FFVIII.
>>
>>4011751
>opinions

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. FFVI and VII both have top-tier soundtracks.
>>
>>4011757
They're good, but VIII's is better. Still, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even wrong ones.
>>
File: nvm.jpg (262KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
nvm.jpg
262KB, 800x800px
>>4011772
>FF8

Oh, I misread you the first time. Sorry to hear that, anon.
>>
>>4011415
I think it's great as "Master Quest" version IMO. I think first time players should play Woolsey Uncensored Edition and the second playthrough Brave New World.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.