[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LeChuck's Revenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 250px-LeChuck's_Revenge_artwork.jpg (35KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
250px-LeChuck's_Revenge_artwork.jpg
35KB, 250x333px
Did this game give anyone else a depressing, melancholic feeling?
>>
>undoes the happy ending of the first game, has a depressing ending itself, and makes Guybrush look like a failure

I can't imagine why.
>>
I blame LeChuck's Fortress.
>>
Is it just me or were Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts adventures for complete pussies?

Interesting deaths used to be the main draw of adventure gaming dating back to the text era.
>>
>>4002279
>Interesting deaths used to be the main draw of adventure gaming dating back to the text era.
they were artificial difficulty so sierra could rake in cash through strategy guides and tip hotlines
>>
>>4002291
I beat every Sierra game up to Space Quest IV without any help just using perseverance.

Wasn't just talking about Sierra games though. I also beat all the Infocom games, with a little help from my friends.
>>
>>4001008
Game was comfy as fuck. Guybrush a bro.
>>
File: rw.png (429KB, 800x468px) Image search: [Google]
rw.png
429KB, 800x468px
>tfw Thimbleweed Park's main character whom you are forced to play as for the majority of the game is a girl in the 1980s who has a computer and modem and interracial ancestors and loves programming and Lord of the Rings and action figures
>>
>>4002303
some of the puzzles have no logical solution and are clearly hotline-bait, like in KQ3 where you have to do something at the beginning involving a mousehole (memory is a bit fuzzy on this, been over a decade) or else you create an unwinnable state later on
>>
>>4002303
>play SQ3
>get to space mcdonalds
>there is absolutely fuckall directions what you're even supposed to be questing for
I quit right there because there was no reason why I'd want to actually have to search for a way to fuck up the situation just so I can go out and fix it.
>>
>>4002334
Anecdotal, but I didn't get to buy games very often and had little recourse to piracy so a Sierra game with artificial difficulty was actually quite delightful.

KQ3 is one of my favorite games of all time. It was satisfying as fuck to complete.
>>
>>4001008
>that spitting contest
fuck this game
>>
>>4002335
SQ3 was easy as heck, buddy. Was it your first adventure game or something? You do have to approach it with the right mindset.
>>
>>4004350
>sq3
>have to keep playing a shit minigame until a coded message pops up
>no indication you should keep playing it
>you can alternatively just bumble through ortega, decide to randomly vandalise some d00ds super shield, then infiltrate their base without any objective, and stumble into the guys you are supposed to be rescuing.
Quality game design
>>
>>4004441
>>no indication you should keep playing it
>implying anything existing in the game for apparently no purpose shouldn't be exhausted just in case it solves a puzzle
You don't know how to play adventure games, friend.

If you wanted to complain about the SQ2 maze I might be willing to lend a shoulder to cry on, but this? This is just ignorance.
>>
>>4002279
>Interesting deaths used to be the main draw of adventure gaming dating back to the text era.
[citation needed]

People played adventure games for the adventure.
>>
>>4004553
Potential death is part of the appeal of adventure.
>>
I freaking love this game so much.
>>
>>4002321

That really pissed me off, very forced.
>>
>>4001008
Great game, depressing ending. And yes, I did get a bit of a dreary feeling playing through it, probably from the endless background music. It ain't bad music, it's just, uh, I don't know how to describe it. Sort of like music that reminds you of a long time ago, if that makes any sense
>>
File: IMG_4110.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4110.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>4004559
I play adventure games to die and then start all over too. I also play them to get stuck in unwinnable situations because of poor game design. I wonder why no one likes adventure games
>>
>>4002321
Thimbleweed Park was a real missed opportunity, I loved how faithful the artstyle was, but I hated the constant shoehorned references to old games, the shoehorned SJW character and most of all the shitty cop out 4th wall ending with all the loose ends.
>>
>>4004986
>he didn't strive to see every possible hilarious death sequence when playing Sierra games while using the deaths to get tips about the puzzle he failed
You missed out.

Lucas adventures = bumper bowling
>>
>>4002303
>using perseverance

Trial and error gameplay is bullshit.
>>
>>4006373
You've probably never ascended in NetHack, at least not without consulting spoilers. 10-conduct ascender here. I genuinely enjoyed grinding through Sierra death animations just to see them all and get clues.
>>
>>4004995
>the shitty cop out 4th wall ending
I keep seeing this complaint. Am I the ONLY one amused by the Betamax tape being Blazing Saddles?
>>
>>4002303

>using perseverance.

you mean save scumming
>>
>>4006413
>You've probably never ascended in NetHack, at least not without consulting spoilers.

I don't play NetHack, and that doesn't change what I said.
>>
>>4006424
You said that trial and error gameplay is bullshit, and that's your opinion, but I happen to like it. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the post I made. (I think it was, though)
>>
>>4002334

Sounds like early DRM. Did it refer tonthe manual or anything in the box?
>>
>>4006584
Pretty sure Ken and Roberta were just masochists.
>>
Not at all! It just reminds me of being like, somewhere cool alone, relaxing.

Are you afraid of loneliness? I can see the game feeling lonely.
>>
>>4007267
Did this post give anyone else a depressing, melancholic feeling?
>>
>>4006423
Sierra games are impossible without save scumming. The dark maze in King's Quest IV for example is impossible to do on your first try.
>>
>>4006417
I didn't like the ending of Monty Pythons Holy Grail either.
>>
>>4006423
>>4007998
I feel like this is a misuse of the term savescumming. Save games exist for a reason. Certain types of games with permadeath don't allow it.

If you're permitted to save your game by the UI then it's not scumming to restore from a previous save. If not, then it's savescumming. Words do have meanings.
>>
>>4008042
Just saying, for all the criticism, it was at least lampshaded.
>>
>>4001128
LeChuck's Fortress indeed.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.