[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 3D World Runner the first 3D Platformer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 3dworldrunner.gif (12KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
3dworldrunner.gif
12KB, 300x220px
It's a platformer. You run and jump. Besides moving forward and backward when you hit a column) you also move up (jump) and down (falling down pits). You can also move side to side. This constitutes 3D movement.

The game is not displaying a real 3D world but neither does the Doom engine, it is still considered a first person shooter because it's a shooter in the first person.

You travel in a straight line and cannot turn, but the same is true of Crash Bandicoot. Is Crash not a 3D platformer?
>>
>>4000372
you never actually played Crash, did you. Here's a hint, watch the footage of more than the first stage, game eventually opens up with more complex levels that extend in several directions.

As for the topic - it's an autorunner. If you consider autorunners subgenre of platformers, then technically it kinda is? Except I guess not really. While graphics have depth, gameplay doesn't - you don't really move forwards and backwards.

If you're looking for progenitors to 3D platformers, probably looking at isometric platformers like Knight Lore, Head Over Heels, ZX Spectrum Batman, and Super Mario RPG is a better choice - hell, several concepts and mechanics (like lava boost) were translated directly from SMRPG to SM64.
>>
>>4000372
the reason they tagged 3D to the title was because if you pressed Select, it changed to stereoscopic red/blue 3D.
>>
>>4000372
>backward when you hit a column
doesn't count
>you also move up (jump)
doesn't count
>and down (falling down pits)
doesn't count
>>
>>4000372
This game wasn't fun.
>>
What's the name of that PC Engine game that's like World Runner but you're in feudal Japan and you use a sword to kill demons?
>>
>>4000372
Does it run at 60fps? If not, then yes.
>>
File: Alpha-Waves.gif (14KB, 300x187px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha-Waves.gif
14KB, 300x187px
>>4000372
http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/what-was-the-first-true-3d-platformer.html

I think it misses too many features of a 3d platformer, like 3d meshes, and fine positioning. Most of the auto runner stuff shouldn't really count or feel like a 3d platformer.
>>
Shouldn't I, robot be the first? It's polygonal 3D and you jump on platforms.
>>
>>4002384
Nintendo saved video games after the great market crash, they made the first 3D game.
>>
>>4002389
I think i, robot singlehandedly causes the crash because such a game wasn't allowed to exist.
>>
>>4002391
No, ET caused the market to crash. Thankfully Nintendo saved video/computer games.
>>
>>4002389
>>4002392
thank you video game historian-sama
>>
>>4002389
They only "saved" the retard market
>>
>>4002407
If not for Nintendo there would be no consumer confidence for gamdes of any description. The Seal of Quality ensured the public of the quality of their products and their licensing backed up this quality. Otherwise the market would be flooded with shovelware like the Atari 2600.
>>
>>4002412
lal, only in Murica
>>
>>4002392
>>4002389

In america you mean.

There was no crash in europe and japan.
>>
>>4002446
Atari was the biggest game maker in the world, with the Atari 2600 having an 80% market share. They were global, and the video game crash affected everyone.
>>
>>4002549
Japanese didn't buy Atari
>>
>>4000372
What about Jumping Flash?
It came before Crash, SM64 and Quake
>>
>>4002556
We all know about it at this point.
>>
File: Antarctic_Adventure.png (8KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
Antarctic_Adventure.png
8KB, 320x241px
Antartic Adventure came out in '83
>>
>>4000372
It's not a platformer, you fucking idiot. You might as well call Final Fight a platformer by that standard.

You are literally the dumbest fucking person on /vr/.
>>
>>4002554
Wrong again. Atari had a huge market share in 1983, the year the video game market crashed, over 80%, in fact.
>>
>>4002280
jinmu denshou?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvpyf8efw0
>>
>>4002673
Yeah that's the one. Was trying to remember it. Thanks.
>>
>>4002642
If you look over a city or another place with thousands and thousands of people, just imagine.... one person out there is thinking thoughts as dumb fuck as this OP. Kind of disturbing that such people exist.
>>
>>4000372

Even IF you could call this 3D... since it was already a ripoff of Space Harrier, it clearly wasn't first.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.