[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I held off on playing this series on the stupid premise that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

File: smbox_english.jpg (108KB, 547x400px) Image search: [Google]
smbox_english.jpg
108KB, 547x400px
I held off on playing this series on the stupid premise that playing as a female MC was not cool, until I played and beat Super Metroid this last weekend.

Fuck me right in my misogynistic ass, this game is incredible. From infuriating platforming that forced you to git gud to a truckload of hidden rooms and items, i felt like I fell in love with video games again.

So where do I go from here? Should I play the original on the nes or jump straight into the gba games?
>>
Are you 14 years old?
>>
>>3998614
>I held off on playing this series on the stupid premise that playing as a female MC was not cool
have your network filter block 4chan.org, and then seek help IRL
>>
File: super-metroid-7.jpg (61KB, 640x387px) Image search: [Google]
super-metroid-7.jpg
61KB, 640x387px
>>3998618
I'm ten years older than that but I'm glad I finally beat apathy and played a Metroid game, its my kind of game.
>>
Did you avoid playing Tomb Raider for the same reason?
>>
Zero Mission is good. AM2R is very good despite being a fan game. Fusion is okay, if very linear. At least the extras are some of tge hardest to get in the series, if you want more of that kind of thing, shinesparking in particular.

You should also look up all the hidden abilities and stuff in Super, there's some interesting stuff tucked away in this game.

Prime is great, 2 and 3 are both...alright, but not amazing.

If you want another fun action game with a female mc that forces you to get gud at platforming, play Mischief Makers.
>>
File: Bikinisupermetroid.gif (4KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
Bikinisupermetroid.gif
4KB, 512x446px
>>3998687
Thanks for the romhack suggestion. I'm currently playing Zero Mission and while it feels simpler in nature its still good.

I just loved how you could find secret abilities in SM, like combining certain weapons let you do different attacks. I think I'm gonna replay it and try to get a better time. I beat it in 11 hours and I wanna get the three hour time limit ending.
>>
>>3998614
>I held off on playing this series on the stupid premise that playing as a female MC was not cool

shit bait thread
>>
>>3998741
It really isn't. I just saw the game as a kid and thought that at the moment, it's not like I kept that retarded mentality until now. I played plenty of non retro games with female MCs.
>>
>>3998614
you played the best game in the genre. its over.

also samus being a female is just an easter egg. samus for all intents and purposes is just an avatar for you the player.

of course this was before the franchise got turned into shit tier anime garbage.
>>
>>3998769
They didn't make that big a deal of the fact until the Wii era. Then Nintendo finally learned that sex sells and that was the end of a respectable Samus.
>>
Really, the series as a whole is great up until Other M, where quality takes a nose dive and never recovers. Your enjoyment of them might vary a bit, however.
Metroid 1 will probably feel incredibly stiff coming straight off of Super. I feel as though it's still a worthwhile experience, but you may want to opt for Zero Mission instead, then try the original at a later point (conveniently, ZM has the original unlockable upon completion, so there's that).
Metroid II is rather different and mostly linear, and although not as stiff as the original it, too, isn't going to feel fluid. Still, it's got loads of secrets to find and introduces the spider ball that lets you cling to surfaces. It's worth giving a chance, at the very least.
Fusion takes place after Super but is HIGHLY linear. There's still some exploration elements, but for the most part you'll be railroaded to your next objective until you get free reign at the very end.
>>
>>3998769
>>3998779
yea dont see anywhere that says "i hate anime". just giving a reason why metroid franchise went to shit. nice to know you are so fuckin autistic that you completely disregard the statement and intrepret it as some general statement against your precious jap cartoons. thats how far up your own ass you are.

like holy shit kid. get out some time.
>>
File: 1403061278627.png (260KB, 368x317px) Image search: [Google]
1403061278627.png
260KB, 368x317px
>>3998779
Do you not know what he means? He's not dissing on anime he's dissing on the worst entry in the series. Fucking think.
>>
File: 1407772416574.gif (63KB, 650x550px) Image search: [Google]
1407772416574.gif
63KB, 650x550px
Please stop fighting over something so inane
>>
>>3998614
But you don't find out Metroid is a gril until the end.
>>
>>3999016
realize_where_you_are.wmv
>>
>>3998679
There's other reasons to avoid Tomb Raider.
>>
File: 332px-Warrior3female.png (252KB, 332x598px) Image search: [Google]
332px-Warrior3female.png
252KB, 332x598px
>>3998614
Play AM2R next. It's amazing.
>>
>>3998614
Not retro but try Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.
Metroid Fusion is also pretty good.
>>
>>3998614

Castlevania

Play donkey Kong on snes
>>
Wow either OP is superb b8 or literally cancer. Either way an extreme faggot
>>
>>3998687
Prime 2 was amazing too. 3 made par at best
>>
>>3999408
No it isn't
>>
>>3999515
>>
>>3998614
>From infuriating platforming
???
>>
Christ you people are colossal gate keeping faggots.

>>3998614

Play Zero Mission, Fusion, and Metroid Prime.
>>
>>3998614
Well arnt you a lucky guy. I wish I could experience playing Super metroid for the first time.

I would recommend playing Zero mission next
then Fusion there both Great games.

I would also recommend the Castlevania's titles on the GBA there amazing if you like metroidvania

There are also a ton of Super metroid romhacks. You really gotta dig through them cause alot of them are shit but there are some great ones.
>>
I've never played SM before in my life. Idk why, it just seems like i wasn't really into platformers very much, i actually kind of want to play it now
>>
>>3999774
You know that kids often don't play the latest shit, right? Me and my brothers were still buying Mega Drive games new in stores until like 1998 or 1999, then used for years after that.

Nothing OP has said suggests that he made his mind up on the game when it first came out.
>>
>>4000282
You know not everyone lives in Brazil, right?
>>
File: 20170518_105445.png (694KB, 720x709px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_105445.png
694KB, 720x709px
>>3998614
Play metroid fusion next you'll love it
>>
>>3999967
Its not really a platformer
Its EXPLORATION
>>
File: metroid2_23.gif (69KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
metroid2_23.gif
69KB, 800x500px
If you want something different try Metroid II.
It all about Metroid like thair name.
>>
>>4003063

Omega Metroid looking just fabulous
>>
>>4001606
Had Japan discontinued Famicom in 2003 because of Brazil?
>>
>>3998614
ZM is pretty cool. It's not as good as Super, but it's a fun time. I haven't bothered with Fusion, but I've been told it's another step down from ZM's quality.

If you're looking for a similar type of game, you might try SotN next. It's not quite as good as Super Metroid, IMO, but people tend to remember it fondly.

I know it's a little out of /vr/'s scope, but Rogue Legacy is also a lot of fun. It takes after SotN a little more, but it has that Metroidvania DNA. It has some rogue-lite and RNG elements that are a little divisive, and a 'retro' aesthetic that doesn't really work for everyone, but the underlying game is very solid.
>>
>>4003076
Made for a nice final boss for Metroid Fusion too.
>>
>>4003089
WTF are you trying to say? Your post isn't even google translate tier.
>>
>>4003743
Is English your first language?
>>
>>4004032
It is. Obviously yours is hueaneese.
>>
>>3999505
>>3998732

>Prime

Not retro, fuck off.
>>
>>3998687

>AM2R

Or you could just not suggest fan-made trash and instead recommend Metroid 2, or the romhack Metroid 2 DX.
>>
>>4004908
It's arguably less garbage than what Nintendo is currently doing with the IP, so that point is pretty moot.
>>
>>3998773
this.
>>
>>3998687
Prime 1 is great, indeed. But I actually prefer Prime 2 over it.
>>
I didn't know that people like OP really exist. I thought it was just a meme to not play a game because it has a female MC. There's so many great games out there with a female lead.
>>
>>4006265
37 yo here.

I was actually around for the NES era and Metroid being a new game. And back then we didn't give a fuck. It was a kickass space exploration game. It was some time after Metroid for NES came out that someone I knew actually FINISHED the fucking thing, revealing the fact that that dude in the spacesuit.. the one you've been guiding for all this time.. this was actually a GIRL?! what a fucking shock! Oh really? A girl? And yet.. she did all that?! Well, hey, maybe girls weren't so much more unskilled than boys afterall.

That was what they were trying to say. That unless you knew whether it was a boy or a girl, you didn't care. It didn't matter.

But you kids in this new generation.. you took it all a different way. "Oh, the main character is a girl, the game sucks." That's totally the opposite of what they intended. It's kind of sad really.
>>
>>3998614
>From infuriating platforming that forced you to git gud
What?
>>
>>4004908
It was good imo. It's a fan made game with a lot of good ideas, some secrets ask you to have the total skip cap to your character and that was fine. The game is well done. Maybe the only wrong thing you can tell about that game is how some boss are poorly designed (i'm thinking of omega metroid for example)
>>
>>4005204
>>4006435

Nah.
>>
>>3998614
Fictional women are always superior to real women, regardless of medium. See: Alien, Metroid any anime
>>
>>3998813
Other M wasn't good but it wasn't that bad either. In terms of the Metroid franchise, it's an abomination. If you disregard the cut scenes it's a serviceable game and often pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>4004906
contain that autism my friend
>>
>>4006290
>37 yo
>numale millennial blog shitpost
Please stop reinforcing the stereotype
>>
>>3998614
The NES game is good. Get comfy and sit with the game. It's really hard in the beginning but as you power-up you can survive for longer. The deeper you get into the game the more interesting it becomes.

I never got deep into the GB game, the small screen size always put me off. You often can't see the platform you are jumping onto. It has some power-ups that appear in Super Metroid so it's a bit like a halfway step between the two games with the added twist that you must hunt Metroids.

The Prime games are decent but there is a boring monotony about them.

Other M is actually a pretty fun game. Don't worry much about the cutscenes. In my view it's the first game to take the series forwards since Super Metroid.

The gba games were disappointing for me because they felt like retreads of Super Metroid. They are both decent games though. Zero Mission is probably more fun.

The thing about Metoid is it was produced by Gumpei Yokoi and he died after Super Metroid so there's really only 3 canon games (NES, GB and SNES).
>>
>>3998614
Play the gameboy advance Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission on an emulator on PC.

Worthy games for sure.

After that, find a download link for AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) and play that.

The older NES metroids, meh... I don't think those have aged anywhere near as well as Super Metroid has.

Theres also this indie game Ex Vitro that is similar to Super Metroid. Has some technical flaws, but if you can overlook those, its a great playthrough too.
>>
>>4007342
Care to explain? Personably i got fun with that fan made game. I've played it in hard and the game was quite difficult compared to any Nintendo's official release particularly at the begining. They have added some Easter eggs and other part of the game that was really well done (ex: the area where you get armor on the GB you have to enter in some kind of tubes, in AM2R Those pipes are really part of a machine that can be activated and make you travel faster, it's those kind of little thing that suduced me).

If i remember well the only "bad sides" of the game was what I told about some final bosses, and probably the character is less comfortable than in Super Metroid.
>>
>>4007342

its better than the gb version
>>
>>4006375
Nigger my thumb was red hot from practicing and failing wall jumping.
>>
>>4007342
>Nah.
Wow, what a great point. Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

>>4008869
The wall jump is not required to complete the game, though.
>>
>>4007356
Even if you remove the Metroid name and the story from it, its awkward control scheme still hurts the game for me.
>>
>>4008348
>In my view it's the first game to take the series forwards since Super Metroid.

Removing a series core element like exploration is not what I would call taking the series forward.
>>
>>3998634
No you're not.
>>
Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Prime = Prime 2 > Fusion > Prime 3 > Metroid > Metroid 2 > Hunters = Federation Force > Other M
>>
>>3998614
>infuriating platforming that forced you to git gud

>super metroid

god damn /pol/ must suck at video games
>>
>>4008348
>The Prime games are decent but there is a boring monotony about them.

I've been replaying the Primes recently, and while they're slower-paced compared to the 2D games, I don't find them boring at all. I will admit that making you backtrack to unlock the final boss in 1 and 2 was blatant padding, though.

>Other M is actually a pretty fun game. Don't worry much about the cutscenes. In my view it's the first game to take the series forwards since Super Metroid.

They mostly dropped the Adventure aspect of the gameplay to put more emphasis on the Action side of things. Thats taking the series backwards, if anything. And even if we ignore that its part of the Metroid series, its Action gameplay pales in comparison to games like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, etc.
>>
File: Samus sipping.jpg (61KB, 611x175px) Image search: [Google]
Samus sipping.jpg
61KB, 611x175px
>>4011428
>Metroid 1 that low

get out
>>
>>4014050
Its decent. But theres far too many rooms that look the same
>>
Nobody knew samus was a woman back then, at least in my circle of friends.
>>
>>4014058
Pretty sure by Super Metroid, it was already a known fact. And its pretty clear in that game, whenever you die.
>>
Is there a romhack of Fusion that skips the hours of dialogues?
>>
>>4011537
I thought that was kinda the point. A new player has difficulty with the somewhat stiff controls, especially in the tall room you have to climb back up after obtaining the Morph Ball and Missiles. One of the hidden joys of Super Metroid is upgrading Samus' movement in conjunction with the player getting better at the controls, to the point that Samus is basically swimming through old obstacles with ease by the time you have to track down Mother Brain.
>>
>>3998614
Metroid 1 is really fun if you are willing to draw maps or just have high iq.
Metroid 2 is underrated and besides being repetitive it is great. Its a more linear take on metroid 1's formula.
Fusion is linear like M2 but with even more forced gating. It still succeeds as an action game, and you do get to explore for powerups along the way.
Prime 1 is like super metroid in 3d with slower action.
AM2R is really good. Its significantly different than the original. I think its a better remake than zero mission is.

Glad you liked super metroid, its great.
>>
>>4014051
Technical limitations, mang. The map relies on a layout of predefined rooms to save memory space. Some (actually a lot) had to be repeated in order fill the arguably rather large (by 1986 standards) map.

In a way, the disorientation induced by parts of the map looking similar helps sustain the atmosphere of being lost and isolated in a hostile environment, but that's just me.

But yeah, they did a poor job with those vertical columns, they are visually unappealing and tedious to climb.
>>
File: 1495606354446.gif (766KB, 190x130px) Image search: [Google]
1495606354446.gif
766KB, 190x130px
Someone posted this badass gif earlier. What is it?
A romhack? Fan game? Animation? Google image search gives me nothing.
>>
>>4017032
A fangame supposedly in-dev.
>>
>>4017096
What's it called? Where can I find more?
>>
>>4017395
You don't want to go down this hole.

I know your first reaction on reading that is "What the fuck, I just want to know about a fangame that looks cool, what is this faggot talking about".
But trust me.
Down that road there only lies faggotry of the highest order.

It's a dead fangame that went nowhere. And, God willing, that's all it will be.
>>
>>4017414
that makes it sound really interesting though. if this gif was skimmed off the top of a putrid boiling cauldron of drama, i wanna know where that cauldron is. i promise not to bring any of the drama back with me.
>>
>>4006252
Agreed. Prime 1 was a bit obnoxious at times with its long-winded backtracking. Prime 2 mostly kept its backtracking self-contained within the locations, and Temple Grounds worked pretty well as a hub area, making it feel more interconnected and opened up by the end compared to 1. Prime 2 also had more interesting story and lore, IMO.
>>
>>4004908
Oh fuck off, the only negative about am2r is the difficulty of some enemies. It could be a retail game if Nintendo weren't such faggots
>>
>>4017414
Are you talking about the cancelled Metroid: SR388 fan game? I don't see a lot of drama there. It looks very similar to the GIF but I can't find that exact footage.
>>
>>3998614
try playing the rom hacks Hyper Metroid and Metroid Redisign.
>>
>>4018145
That GIF is from mEngine, which is either a reverse engineered attempt to recreate SR388's engine or actually the stolen SR388 engine. Or a bit of both. There was a huge amount of drama about it on Metroid Construction and the author was outright banned.
You can find a videos of it's progress online, and even find a downloadable copy by searching for mengineold, but it only has the landing site available. Activate all items with F12.
>>
>>4018158
Yep, googling that brought up quite a bit of drama. What a shame. It looks pretty, but it seems like we won't ever get a proper game out of it.
>>
>>4018174
But damn if it isn't fun to screw around with the work in progress and imagine. It's so goddamn smooth
>>
>>4011428
Metroid > Metroid II > Super Metroid > Prime > Prime 2 > Prime 3 > Hunters > Fusion > Zero Mission > Federation Force > Other M
>>
>>4018303
>Hunters above Fusion and Zero Mission

Really? Its single player campaign felt like an afterhthought, and the multiplayer was an unbalanced mess.
>>
>>4018303
I've never seen someone say the original is their favorite, but there's really nothing else like it in the 8-bit world so I kinda get it. It has some f the best music on the NES for sure. I think I'd rank them this way:

Zero Mission > Super Metroid > Prime > Fusion > Prime 2 > Metroid II > Metroid > Hunters > Federation Force > Prime 3 > Metroid Blast (Nintendoland minigame) > Prime Pinball > Other M
>>
>>4019312
Weak bait.
>>
File: samus.jpg (191KB, 949x1024px) Image search: [Google]
samus.jpg
191KB, 949x1024px
>>4018303
>>4019276
>original is their favorite
Same for me. You observed it pretty nicely:
>but there's really nothing else like it in the 8-bit world so I kinda get it.

Metroid did not have the most refined gameplay for it's time, sure. Neither was it the most graphically appealing, nor had the most interesting story, nor the catchiest music. But think of the way all those elements play into each other meticulously, the overall design concept and how boldly they pulled through with this game, which was so unlike the games that came before it. That, to me, is exceptional. It makes for a staggeringly immersive experience for something which is "merely" 8 bit. It manages to create an atmosphere that feels just so much... bigger.

Man, even Nintendo wasn't sure if people were ready for this and grossly underestimated its impact, opting for the cheaper password system instead of the battery save feature for the US/PAL release to minimize financial risks (mind you, this was a couple of months after the original Zelda with a SRAM save feature shipped and it sold like hot buns).
>>
>>4018413
Personally, there's a huge gap in quality between Prime 3 and the Hunters side of my list. Hunters and Fusion are about equal to me, but Hunters edges Fusion out for not being as story-heavy.

>>4019276
Metroid's pure freedom of exploration is what puts it at the top for me. It has the fewest restrictions on the player and is incredibly ambitious for a 1986 NES game. I love the fact that you can go anywhere in the world aside from Tourian with just the morph ball, morph bombs, and 5 missiles. The game gives you those minimal tools and says "here you go, do whatever you want and see if you can survive."
>>
>>4019462
Except there are lots of areas you can't get to unless you get more equipment.
>>
>>4019468
Such as?
>>
>>4019471
Okay I'll admit I posted that before I realized you were just talking about NES Metroid, but it still kinda fits: Ice Beam or Hi-Jump are required to get into a few areas. But you're pretty much completely correct.
>>
>>4019479
You can use the morph bombs to reach higher places such as the area to the Varia Suit and I'm pretty certain that any area that requires you to use the ice beam to create platforms out of enemies to go one way has an alternate way to get there coming from the other direction.

I don't have the entire map and all of its little details in my head so I can't say that with 100% certainty. Good call.

Still though, the game gives you far more freedom than any other in the series.
>>
File: Mother Brain NES.gif (45KB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
Mother Brain NES.gif
45KB, 448x352px
>>4019468
>>4019471
>>4019479
Varia suit can be reached earlier by using a double bomb jump and jumping in mid-air. Similar tricks exist to get around other parts. People don't generally consider these techniques cheating/glitching (I think some were even featured in Nintendo power), they are viewed more like the undocumented features in Super Metroid, like the wall jump and the shine spark. Those may have been put in the code more deliberately, but allow for similarily easy access to sequence breaking for advanced players.
>>
File: Metroid Compleate Map.png (918KB, 7680x7200px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Compleate Map.png
918KB, 7680x7200px
>>4019503
here. :3

Open in new tab or download for full size.
>>
>>4019534
I'm not seeing anywhere in that map where the ice beam or high jump boots are required (aside from Tourian for the ice beam, of course). A couple of screens in Norfair have high walls, but you could get over those with a few bomb jumps if you're good.
>>
>>4019462
IMO, Fusion edges Hunters by a lot, because while both are linear for Metroid, I found the level design in Hunters to be far more on-rails than in Fusion. Hunters also easily has among the worst bosses in the franchise. I'll give you that Fusion was a bit heavy on the story, though.
>>
File: Rain_zpsu51pvndc.gif (38KB, 511x449px) Image search: [Google]
Rain_zpsu51pvndc.gif
38KB, 511x449px
>>4019769
It's possible to play through Tourian without the Ice Beam. It's just not very fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmQ-uGde-A [trigger warning: bad quality]

Also, this new romhack looks interesting. At first I didn't realize it's built on top of the original engine, thinking it was some indidev thing. It even runs on original hardware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BhKcjrSY_4&t=531s
>>
>>4020363
Rogue Dawn is old news.
>>
>>4020365
It's only a couple of months old and it's new to me. Don't be rude.

What's the consensus on this hack?
>>
>>4020380
Ridiculously pretty. Extremely good for a hack. Fanwanky story... but that's normal for a fangame. Hard to complain.
It's free. Just play it and make your own opinions.
>>
>>3998630
>have your network filter block 4chan.org, and then seek help IRL

not op, but i have tried blocking 4chan a million times. you cant block an https website
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>4020449
>mfw Mushroom Kingdom
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.