[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many jrpgs do you finish /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

I like jrpgs I have played all the big names, but I have only ever finished 3 (4 is you count getting good to the final boss not being able to beat him and watching the ending on YouTube) so I have to ask in this day and age with almost unlimited entertainment does anyone here still finish there jrpgs
>>
I finished 52 last year alone.
One of the perks of having cancer.
>>
God who even counts? I finish most of the ones that I pick up, the only time I don't finish em is if they're boring enough that I drop them after an hour. It sounds like you don't enjoy them, so why do you keep forcing yourself to try them?
>>
Like 12 of them. I still wish to go back and play the ones from the 16bit generation.
>>
I can't tell you how many times I've put like 50-70 hours into an rpg, am like 80% done, and then just loose interest.
>>
>>3993902
I'd hate to have a re/vr/on die on us. Good luck!
>>
>>3993956
Yes this is what I am talking about but I must admit I normally stop at the 50 to 60% point.
>>
Some games I may never beat like Chrono Cross due to PS1 disc swapping being a bit messed up on the PS1 I got. I just don't have it in me to go through it anymore. I have went through my fair share of JRPG's though, not a massive amount but a decent amount. To be honest most aren't worth going through the whole way, or at least until you got to the PS1 with more varied battle mechanics, growth, or customization mechanics. Not to say that the SNES didn't have it, it just didn't have it in the number the PS1 had them in.

Honestly most JRPG's should be 30 hours tops. There's too much uninteresting bloat that by the time you are 10 or so hours from the ending of the game you're just burnt out. There should always be some sort of quick progression or if not that then freedom to wander around the game and customize your characters.
>>
>>3993956
>>3994060
Part of this is that usually the stories in jrpgs start intriguing at first but when it's about to wrap up and things get revealed you realize it's meh and there's no need to finish.
>>
when i played on PSP i used to finish a lot of them. Anyone know how the Vita compares for emulation purposes? I know theres one model with an OLED which sounds tasty
>>
>>3993894
Quite a lot. I enjoy the mother series, dragon quest series, and more recently the breath of fire series. Been meaning to get into SMT, just not sure which one I want to start.

I find it easier for me to play them on portable systems. I don't even play them out it's just easier to pick up and play.
>>3994098
I think a psp is a better. Vita has a better screen but psp has been out for so many years that it basically runs anything and is easy as fuck to hack. Runs basically everything up to ps1 along with gba great. While vita emulation is a thing it isn't as developed.
>>
File: elly.jpg (486KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
elly.jpg
486KB, 550x550px
>>3993894

A good number. Though I can say the same of all games I like.
>>
shining force 3 scenarios 1-premium disc is 200 hours long and its great all the way through
>>
>>3993902
Strong opiates are probably the only way to actually enjoy mind-numbing JRPGs. Probably a bonus if they've decided to addict you to them.
>>
>>3993956
Yeah people say "muh Chrono Trigger, best game eva made" but I stopped at Magus. Boring.

JRPGs are fun to read about I guess. Wish we still had Nintendo Power to present them in colorful detailed fashion. Liked reading about Seken Densetsu 1 on Game Boy. Probably would hate playing it though.
>>
>>3993902
Live, anon! We're rooting for you! I've read somewhere that an old couple that was diagnosed with terminal cancer decided to go on a cruise trip and came back to see that the cancer had left their body! So enjoy life to the fullest or something.
>>
Just realized the only retro JRPG I've ever completed to the end is original Pokemon.
>>
File: Fou_Lu_BoFIV.jpg (271KB, 543x768px) Image search: [Google]
Fou_Lu_BoFIV.jpg
271KB, 543x768px
Ive finished about 80% of the jrpgs ive played, i stopped playing BOF IV because Fou Lou did nothing wrong, but i still didn't want the bad ending to happen to the rest of the party.

Didn't finish FFIX because I got tired of the slow combat and the story didnt do anything for me

Didn't finish Grandia because the 3d dungeons are just god awful.
>>
>>3993894
Including action RPGs and tactical RPGs as well as JRPGs: 129 completed so far.
>>
>>3994216
>JRPGs are fun to read about I guess.

Kill yourself
>>
I make an effort to pick games I know i'll stick with long enough to beat but if I make it halfway through a game without dying once or feeling challenged at all (as was the case with Grandia or any of the Tales game i've played) I just drop them and don't look back.
>>
>>3994375
>i stopped playing BOF IV because Fou Lou did nothing wrong, but i still didn't want the bad ending to happen to the rest of the party.

Read the manga. I won't spoil it but I think you'll like it.
>>
>>3993956
This happened to me with FF9, Tactics Ogre, but most of all non-retro jrpgs (ToAbyss, Etrian Odyssey, Atelier, Dark Cloud, and so). Probably because they have so much content and weak storylines, you end up attached to the sidequests and shit instead of the main thing.
>>
>>3993894
if you never finish games of course you're going to continue doing the same thing forever.
>>
I've finished ff1, 2, 3 and 7, chrono trigger, the mother series, some pokemon games and a few non-/vr/ ones. I was into the genre for a while but they're all sooo repetitive. I've dropped more jrpgs halfway through than I've finished, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>3994092
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
>>
File: depressed bear.jpg (31KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
depressed bear.jpg
31KB, 480x320px
>>3993894
I stop playing because I don't want it to end
>>
File: IMG_0033.png (3KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.png
3KB, 168x168px
>>3993902

wow what a bummer
>>
File: 198886_43048_front.jpg (54KB, 640x545px) Image search: [Google]
198886_43048_front.jpg
54KB, 640x545px
>>3993894
I used to always finish one if I started it, and in the 8 and especially 16 bit days I played a ton of them and it was one of my favorite genres.

Then in the 32 bit/PS era there were a lot that I played but I started dropping them before the end or like OP's pic related wishing I had dropped them. There were a few gems like my pic related that I played the hell out of, but they were rarer.

Then by the PS2 era I started a ton and never finished a single one. It wasn't until Etrian Odyssey came along that I had interest in the genre again.
>>
I've never finished one.
>>
>>3994098
Vita emulation works pretty well, psp and ps1 can be emulated natively. But the proprietary memory cards are awful.
>>
>>3994504
That's interesting. Are there any other JRPG manga adaptations worth reading?
>>
>>3994509
Are there any games you can name that are the opposite? Xenogears felt like that to me. The core plotline is interesting, but it's full of worthless extra story arcs.
>>
>>3995160
Dropping sidequests and extra shit in general improved my jrpg quality of life SO much.
>>
>>3994209
nigga, be respectful
>>
I don't waste my time on them.
>>
>>3995279
Did you really feel the need to make such an edgy reply? Just say you don't like them and why if you want to post a reply.
>>
>>3995281
He has a deep seeded need for you to know that he thinks they suck in the hopes you will think his taste is superior.
>>
>>3994183
Why is it so fucking long and how does it not get boring
>>3994447
Favourites? Why so many?
>>
>>3995171
I agree. Pick and choosing what side content to do and not being obsessed is key.
>>
Off the top of my head

Dragon Quest I-IV (remakes) VII (3DS)
Final Fantasy I-IV (remakes) V (GBA)
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi 1+2
Golden Sun 1+2
Skies of Arcadia
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Pokemon Blue
Kingdom Hearts 2
And a few more that are a stretch to fit in the genre.

There are probably an even amount of games I started, got a good chunk into, and burnt out on.

I find I have more tolerance for finishing JRPGs as I get older. I used to marathon a game until I burnt out on it and never come back. Now I'm forced to play in smaller chunks that don't kill my enthusiasm and when I do take months long breaks I'm capable of getting back into a game's systems and picking up the plot threads.

A good chunk of those FF and DQ games were beaten during lunch breaks at work over a period of months.
>>
>>3995160
In my case the SaGa series. Games ARE the sidequests, so it feels rewarding to beat the games. SaGa Frontier 2 has pretty much no sidequests yet its episodic flow makes you invested

SNES rpgs I've finished a huge percentile of the library, never left any unfinished. Probably because they aren't bloated to death like DS/PS2 onwards
>>
>>3995347
> Favourites?
Top 5 in order: Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Eternia, Ar Tonileco 2 , Final Fantasy 5.

> Why so many?
I'm mid-30s therefore a I've had a lot of time to play them. As for motive, I enjoy hobby game dev and like to try new games for ideas. Usually, I alternate between replaying a game I know I liked and a new game I've never played-- and I finish any game I start.

The completed number may be 20-30 higher as I may have forgotten to add various RPGs to my game app tracker. And my current rpg backlog on-hand is 96.
>>
>>3993902
What are you doing with all your stuff?
>>
>>3993894
FF 1,4,5,6,7,8,9
Tales of Destiny, Destiny 2 (Eternia), Phantasia
Persona 1 & 2
Grandia
Wild Arms 1-2
DQ 6,7
Lunar 1 & 2
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Suikoden 1-2
BoF 2-4
Chrono Cross & Trigger
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Valkyrie Profile
Pokemon Gen 1 & 2

and that's only the /vr/ related titles at the top of my head, excluding action and tactical JRPGs. more if we go beyond, I'd say 60-70 all together
>>
I played a lot of JRPG to completion during most of my life, but (and this might sound strange) I'm usually drawn to play whole series.
Something like "Dragon Quest V sounds good, maybe I should play the entire series to see what this is all about" and proceed to play the whole thing from DQ1 to the most recent game, so I already have a decent list of finished series.
>>
>>3995347
It has an interesting story. Uses completely unique 3d models throughout the game for each new character. many different ways to get characters and tons of items to collect and killer soundtrack. also the battles are very addictive and they pack a ton of stuff onto one scenario.
>scenario 1 took me 60 hours
>scenario 2 i'm at chapter 5 and at 35 hours
>scenario 3 is around 80 due to the massive amount of content and story
Its a well thought out game and definitely worth playing
>>
>>3995481
honestly hang yourself
>>
In the last thirteen or so years I have finished
>Legend Of Dragoon
>Final fantasy's I-X,XII
>Golden Sun/The Lost Age/Darkdawn
>Trail's of coldsteel I/II
>Legaia 2 Duel Saga
>Rhapsody a Musical adventure
>Persona I-IV
>SMT I-III
>SMT IF
>All the Devil summoner games
>SMT Soul hackers
>Hero Senki Project Olympus
>Live A Live
>Arc the Lad I-IV
>Grandia I/II
>Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans
>Star Ocean I-IV
>>
Yeah I think in regards to JRPGs over 30 hours long I think I finished only a few in my lifetime. For one of the longest ones I played (like 60 hours) I got to the last boss and quit because I'm not about to grind just because the developers decided everyone that doesn't gets one-shotted, lol. It's a shame too because I wanted to finish that game and it's still one of the most captivating ones I've played in my life.

counted 10 /vr/ ones cleared, and way more that came after. plus half the /vr/ ones were remakes that came after 2000. no ps1 games, was never interested for reasons.
>>
I'm juggling four right now and I don't plan to have any of them finished by the end of this or the next month
>>
File: Skies 2.png (966KB, 693x600px) Image search: [Google]
Skies 2.png
966KB, 693x600px
Not a lot sadly. I'm trying to remedy that though.

/vr/ related I've completed Skies of Arcadia, Suikoden and Pokemon Red/Gold. I'm halfway through Grandia 1 and 2 and the original Phantasy Star. I got to the end of Chrono Trigger before I lost my save, should really replay that.

non-/vr/ related, I only seem to finish the odd ones. Resonance of Fate, Persona 4 Golden, the rest of the Pokemon series.

I really need to play them, I recently started to emulate games on my phone and finished Snatcher and For the frog the bell tolls, so I should really put a JRPG on there and finish them.
>>
i started final fantasy star, but my guy kept dying and i just gave up after the dragon part. I didn't care much for the japanese cartoon style neither.
>>
>>4000960

Did you find all the discoveries in SoA?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.