[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rhh/ Retro Handheld Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 300px-Game_Boy_Gulf_War.png (262KB, 300x456px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Game_Boy_Gulf_War.png
262KB, 300x456px
Bombproof Edition

This is the thread in which we discuss comfy portable game systems, such as the GameBoy and GameGear.

Think of this kind of like a Game Boy general, except handheld systems from any manufacturer can be discussed, be they from Nintendo, Sega, Atari or any obscure off brand, as well as LCD games. Portable consoles like the Turbo Express and Nomad can be discussed as hardware, though game discussion belongs in their respective consoles' threads. Discussing clones are also welcome so long as the other criteria are met.

Discussion of handheld repairs, mods and aftermarket add-ons are also welcome, though for more in-depth repair advice the repair general is recommended.

Handheld emulator boxes (Dingoo, JXD S7800B, modded PSP) are a gray area and should be discussed only in regards to their use for the emulation of retro games.

Previous thread: >>3963298

Thread game recommendation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJLa8ndDv8
>>
>>3990459
I would just like to say that I found Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for GameBoy at a Goodwill recently, game only. It was in the kitchen appliances section in a basket mixed in with, like, egg beaters and hand mixers. But I don't have a GameBoy to play it on. My original one from 1990 is in my parents house somewhere, I think, but I've never found it yet. Just a PSA. Look in places besides the Media section in Goodwill for games and consoles. You never know. Oh, it was 2 dollars, btw.
>>
>>3990680
Someone probably stashed it there to pick up on sale day or something.

It's a well known tactic used by the terminally cheap.
>>
>>3990690
That seems reasonable to me. You're probably right.
>>
>>3990680
The other day I was at Goodwill and they had a bunch of PSX games for $2. I picked up Croc, Crash 1 and 2 almost mint. I would have gotten 3 but it was missing the manual so I passed on it. Goodwill does in fact still get good stuff once in a while, especially this time of year.
>>
>>3991165
Absolutely they do. I'd love to find those games you got at Goodwill. I especially love when they mix PSX games in with the Luther Vandross and Bee Gees cds. That way, shoppers will miss them easier.
>>
Mario is fucking gay
>>
>>3991357
Good one dude! Everyone knows you're the coolest. Keep it up, dude. Being so cool I mean.
>>
Hi guys, where do I find gbc games in italy? They seem so rare, I think I'll just get a flashcart if I don't find any.
>>
>>3991165

why "this time of year"
>>
>>3991823
People are getting rid of stuff for spring cleaning
>>
>>3991825

oh shit never thought of that. Do a large amount of people do spring cleaning in urban areas?
>>
>>3991826
Yeah, trash picking can be pretty ripe too. Like OSU has a huge amount of on campus living and lots of students will just leave everything in their dorms. On the right day the dumpsters are stacked.
>>
Can't remember if /vg/ allows discussion of the GBA yet - haven't been here in ages.

I'm thinking of buying a (possibly broken) GBA, a new casing and an AGS-101 screen then building a backlit GBA with it.

Only problem is my 3DS can play GBA games too. I haven't had a GBA in ages so I'm not sure if it's worth buying the parts and putting it all together when I could just play GBA games on my 3DS.

What does /vr/ think? Do GBA games look better on a backlit GBA or should I just stick with my 3DS?
>>
>>3991861
The AGS-101 screen may be the best lit one available on original GBA hardware but in modern terms it's complete ass.

Stick with what you've got.
>>
>>3991861
how the heck does your 3ds play gba games?
>>
>>3992116
Thanks anon, guess I'll stick with it.
>>3992130
Hacking - remember when the 3DS in it's early stages had GBA games for early buyers before the price drop? Well people injected other ROMs over those so you can have the whole GBA library injected into your 3DS if you really want
>>
Are those Tokone FC Mobile and Super FC Mobile things good portable clones?

I often see them on my visits in Japan.

I saw them posted on RocketNews24 and they say they're pretty good.

Why I'm asking this is because I travel a lot and I want my taste of Famicom and Super Famicom games without actually bringing my Famicom/Super Famicom everywhere I go.

Also, does the EverDrive-N8 work on the FC Mobile and does the SD2SNES work on the Super FC Mobile?
I don't wanna be bringing a ton of cartridges on my trips as well and I already have some flashcarts with tons of games on them.

Or should I instead go for emulation on other systems (3DS, PSP, iPhone, PC) instead if I want to have my taste of Famicom and Super Famicom games on the go?
But I usually don't like emulation.

Also, I bring some other handhelds with me, alongside my iPhone and laptop.
>>
>>3990459
>find gameboy that got partially hit by heat of a blast
>replace all the broken parts
>"wow look, even though it has all that damage to the entirely cosmetic plastic, it still turns on after we replaced all the broken parts"
>>
>>3992290
If you're using both a hardware clone and a flash cart you might as well just be emulating at that point.
>>
>>3991823
Spring cleaning.
>>
>>3992512
Okay.
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>3992550
If you want an answer and not opinions, google it.
>>
>>3991823
summer time, college kids are moving out of the dorms and leaving everything behind, depending on where you live.
>>
>>3992518
This is a great time of year for thrusting and yard sales. I'm trying to make a priority of hunting at least once a week from now through most of June.
>>
Why do Game Boy Pockets cost so much? Screen modding?
>>
Is buying systems with replacement screens installed worth it? I worry that it'll be lower quality.
>>
>>3993793
what do you mean by 'so much'. I haven't paid over $30 for one.
>>
Do you ever wonder if the guy who owned that gameboy is still alive, or he's either dead or really fucked up?
>>
>>3993990
Yeah, they usually have a glass screen lens and new shell/buttons
>t. modder
>>
>>3995241
Hello modder. Hello fodder. Here I am at/ Camp Rwanda. Cheddar's lumpy. Cheddar's oily. It dribbles off your plate onto your doily. So when the cookbook. Calls for cheddar. Make it with Velveeta. it cooks better.
>>
File: 61n-NkRw0%2BL._AC_SX430_.jpg (79KB, 430x434px) Image search: [Google]
61n-NkRw0%2BL._AC_SX430_.jpg
79KB, 430x434px
Just picked up Tetris DX today. I like the music in the original better but it seems like decent 8-bit edition all around.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.