[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

Gonna play it for the first time soon

any tips or tricks for anything else I should know?
>>
steal from bosses
>>
>>3985657
probably don't spend hours trying to get 1000 jumps
>>
>>3985658

>tfw stealing from Hilgigars takes forever
>>
The protagonist, Zidane, is 5'6". This makes him the shortest Final Fantasy protagonist from any game.
>>
Don't sell any of your old gear, in most cases you'll need it down the road for the synthesis system, which is essential for getting all items which will teach all of the skills.
>>
search every corner of each screen while mashing the X button for free items.

It takes awhile to get started, the whole Vivi in Alexandria part is pretty easy to spend hours on.
>>
>>3985657
Just remember the final boss fits thematically and isn't an asspull.
>>
Love Vivi with everything you've got. :(
>>
>>3985841
Thematically sure, it's really a rehash of the Cloud of Darkness from FFIII.

FFIX suffers from being slavishness referential to pervious games and the final boss is by far the most erroneous. They could've ended it with Kuja and it still would've been the same ending but no they had to give him a paperthin redemption
>>
>>3985657
Basically (>>3985658), (>>3985660), (>>3985783), (>>3985831) and (>>3985848).
Also, take your time because the soundtrack is fucking beautiful.
>>
Don't forget the octagon staff
>>
>>3985658
>steal from bosses
>>3985783
>Don't sell any of your old gear
>>3985831
>search every corner of each screen while mashing the X button for free items

This is pretty much it. Beyond that, I've got a little advice to cut down on grinding.
First off, go ahead and do some grinding in the first Forest you get to. There's a spot to heal for free, so you can grind for free. You'll want that money when you reach Dali. I forget the exact recipe, but one of the items you buy in Dali and another item you can get there or soon can be synth'd into a very valuable item. Bringing 99 of each so you can make 80 or so of the pricy items is a good way to make a ton of money early in the game. Will be a while before you get to synth them, but you'll be glad when you do and pocket a ton of gil.
Next, you'll want to try and gear your team up to take down the Grand Dragon above the Grotto. 35K exp divided among the survivors is well worth the effort. Get them as much Lightning resistance as you can for your team, and make sure Freya wins the Festival so you can have a Coral Ring. It helps to have Quina learn Limit Glove and get set to 1HP before entering the battle too. With a little luck and the proper setup, you can easily power-level your team before leaving Disc 1.
Another dirty trick is getting the Blood Sword and getting to the part where you have a party of Garnet and Marcus. There's a spot on the wall near the beginning of this area where you can walk without stopping. So you equip the sword on Marcus, kill the rest of your team, and have him grind on auto-pilot for a few hours. The Blood Sword will keep him healed, and within a short while he'll be superpowered. His stats get transfered over to Ekio later on, so it's actually worthwhile to do this.

Oh, and you only have 2 chances to kill the hidden boss in Alexandria Castle's library. You get nothing special out of it, but still something neat.
>>
Look up Ragtime Mouse FFIX guides. It's a weird benign encounter in this game that happens in forested areas. You can force his encounter by tapping the move button(encounters happen in this game by some type of timer that's executed randomly after a certain amount of time after it's started, and Ragtime works differently than this).

He asks you True/False questions about the lore of the world and you get decent shit for it, but they can get really specific.

Also, ignore the fucking jump rope in Alexandria's Vivi section unless you're some goddamned prodigy. Waste of time unless you really love cards, and the card game itself is a pretty big waste of time to begin with.
>>
>>3985892
The items you want to buy 99 of in Dali are wrists then when you get to lindblum you can buy steepled hats and those synth into a cotten robe, which sells for 4000 gil. you make around a 1700 gil profit each time you do it.

I wouldnt reccomend killing grand dragons on disc one since it makes pretty much all of disc two trivial.
>>
Ultimate FF9 Character Re-naming guide!

>Zidane
Locke
>Steiner
Albert
>Vivi
Black Mage 26
>Dagger
Sarah
>Amarant
Red
>>
>>3986072
>Freija
Kaine?
>>
>>3985892
>to cut down on grinding.
>grinding
>in FF game on PSX
i stopped reading. don't listen to this faggot, whatever it is he wanted to convey
>>
>>3985660
>tfw sneezed somewhere around 900
>>
i love this game
>>
There are missables, but none of them are that super.
When you get the boat, use the reflect ring on your healer, and stomp the big ass dragons on the islands for easy EXP.
>>
>>3985657
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tl-kOcnn1U
>>
File: despair.png (624KB, 650x601px) Image search: [Google]
despair.png
624KB, 650x601px
>>3985660
>>
>>3985773
What about someone from Windurst
>>
>>3985658

this

most bosses have equipment that's either rare, expensive, or not but able yet. bosses also have multiple steals, so keep going until the message states they have nothing left to steal. it takes forever to steal everything, though, so you might just want to skip out on some stuff
>>
>>3986072
>what is this knife?
>That's a dagger.
>Then it's settled! From now on I am qtpie16f!
Renaming set characters, not even once.
>>
>>3985657
>any tips or tricks for anything else I should know?
Yeah, play a better game, ff9 is easy one of the worst in the whole series.
>>
>>3987570
Naming Amarant "Dipshit" was the best blind decision I ever made.
>>
>>3985657
There's nothing you especially need to know for a first run. There's tons of missable shit in FF9, both scenes and gear, but you can do a 100% later if you want. None of it will ruin a first run by missing it. The only one I'd maybe look out for is on Disc 3 there's a weapon in some shops for Vivi called Octagon Rod, it teaches him the level 3 elemental spells and isn't available to buy at endgame, which is sort of bullshit.

Stealing is nice, but there's nothing unique until some of the endgame bosses. You basically just get some gear slightly earlier, and you may not even use some of it immediately anyway. Don't aggravate yourself spending a million turns doing it.

You don't need to grind either. If you just fight most or all of the encounters that occur organically, you should be fine. Sometimes characters will spend a lot of time away from the party, but there'll usually be some event designed to catch them up.
>>
Know that this is one of the greatest rpgs of all time and that the ending may make you cry like a little bitch. Take your time and enjoy it.
>>
Learn from old equipment before putting on new equipment.
>>
>>3985657
Play a better game instead
>>
Play it blind, expect to miss A LOT of things,, and make sure to explore every nook and cranny/talk to every NPC. The real enjoyment of this game comes from the really well detailed ambiance and lore in the world.

My one real tip is to always pick up at least one of every new equipment you come across and always keep at least one of each on hand. Since abilities are learned through equipment, you'll want to buy stuff you don't need (lower quality than what you currently have, for example,) and they can later be synthesized into equipment for more abilities.
>>
>>3985657
Skip it. The series is rubbish after 7.
>>
>>3985658
steal from every enemy.
>>
File: 1440274853441.jpg (216KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1440274853441.jpg
216KB, 600x849px
Steal from everything. Zidane should only attack when he has nothing better to do.

Take your time. My first playthrough, I rushed the whole thing and thought it sucked. I played it again a few years later, took my time with sidequests and minigames, and it became one of my favorite JRPGs ever.

Rat grill best grill (pic related).

Chocobo Hot & Cold isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is, and the rewards are totally worth the time invested.

Tetra Master is still dogshit, 17 years later
>>
File: 1414667511941.jpg (42KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
1414667511941.jpg
42KB, 450x320px
>>3990457
>Chocobo Hot & Cold isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is, and the rewards are totally worth the time invested.

No.
>>
I remember all the triggered newfags whose first RPG was FF7 and were like, "what is this kiddy fairy tale shit?!" when it first came out. Regardless of your opinion of the game it was brave of Square to launch it.
>>
>>3985657
Steiner's Thunder Slash doesn't do shit unless you have a patch. Literally has 0 accuracy, they fucked up on assigning it's damage formula.
>>
>>3991071
Oh, and this also applies for PC. Which is strange, because some bugs usually get fixed while Square does the porting.
>>
>>3990491
>the best equipment in the game isn't worth it

is this the dank new meme?
>>
Wait, do people really dislike Chocobo Hot and Cold? I played it just for fun half the time. Also hunting for chocographs was fun and really got you acquainted with the game's world.
>>
>>3991220
>needing to have even good equipment to finish the game
>>
>>3991015
m8 you got it completely wrong, people said "what this is different shit" to VIII

By the time IX came out everyone on the FF bandwagon had gotten off.

Not only that but IX wasn't even suppose to be a numbered FF, it was fear that made them give it a number for fear that a PS1 game in 2000 wouldn't sell without a brandname attached to it, no bravery at all
>>
>>3991251
There are a lot of people who are bad at video games and therefore dislike Hot & Cold, yes.
>>
>>3985657
Don't forget to make an account on PlayOnline!
>>
>>3991254
>Not getting a full set of the tropical equipment for everyone and beating the game while wearing it.

full pleb
>>
File: 1440284829246.jpg (115KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1440284829246.jpg
115KB, 640x640px
>>3991334
>the emotion I experience and the facial expression I wear when equipping tropical gear doesn't change the in-game character models

You goofed Squaresoft.
>>
>>3985658
>>3985783
>>3985841
anon, when you're pulling shit that crashes the server, you're going to get admin attention
>>3987573
*best
>>3987656
>>3988365

all these
>>
>>3985660
You can try muting the game. I think the background music throws you off from focusing on the changing tempo of the rope
>>
FINISH IT IN UNDER 12 HOURS
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.