[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FF or DQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14

File: dq-ff-160527-01.png (1MB, 966x543px) Image search: [Google]
dq-ff-160527-01.png
1MB, 966x543px
Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Which one should I get into first? I'm just asking this because I've never played either of them.
>>
>>3983651
Start with DQ3 or FF5
Whether or not you'll enjoy FF depends on how you feel about ATB, which some people are turned off by
>>
File: smug asuka.jpg (49KB, 560x577px) Image search: [Google]
smug asuka.jpg
49KB, 560x577px
>>3983664
>Not playing a series in release date order
>>
>>3983651
Both. And start from 1 (GBA and GBC remakes.)
>>
DQ always seemed like a primitive FF, which was a lot of generic fantasy and nothing truly original.

FF was a groundbreaking, immersive universe that flowed fluidly and had it's own strong lore.

FF all day long
>>
>>3983697
>recommending largely inferior games because they were released earlier
>>
>>3983721

>seemed like

So you haven't played them? I'd play the NES DQ games over the NES FF games any day. 3 and 4 in particular are a billion miles ahead of any of the NES FFs.
>>
>>3983763
I played a GBA DQ game, I think #4.
>>
>>3983765
That was DS, and was a re make of an NES game which was leagues ahead of FF NES games.

I like both but DQ has fucked up way less than FF. The worst DQ is still an okay game. The worst FFS are....well..
>>
>>3983769
Which DQ is the worst?
>>
>>3983781
1, But still it is worth playing it.
>>
>>3983781
>>3983784
No way, 1 is too short to be bad and with context it's an important game.

2 and 6 are often tied for worst but I'd say 2. It has all of the drawbacks of 1 but with more padding and grinding. 6 was just a very milquetoast jrpg on a system/gen that produced some of the all time best.
>>
>>3983769
I actually didn't even mean GBA, it was GBC, but I played it on my GBA.
>>
>>3983789
6 is the best one. 2 is better than 1, it expands everything: Characters, map, enemies, systems. "Too short" is not a justification. If you played 1, you would be more happy to continue with 2 because of all the improvements. And 6 is hated only because of storyfags that expects 6 to be the continuation of IV-V.
>>
>>3983651
FF because I am a liberal who remember Nanking Rapes.
>>
>dragon quest
Start with 3, 5 or 8

>final fantasy
Start with 4, 6 or 7
>>
>>3983651
If you're a true /vr/ trooper you'll start from the beginning of both franchises.
>>
File: dq4.jpg (65KB, 550x386px) Image search: [Google]
dq4.jpg
65KB, 550x386px
>>3983721
>DQ always seemed like a primitive FF
Maybe because it came out first.
>nothing truly original
I'll take character/monster design from DQ over any FF, easily.
>FF was a groundbreaking
In what way?
>>
>>3983697
Most of the FF's are actually pretty terrible.

>1
Will only appeal if you're nostalgic, or looking for the series roots
>2
Decent, but people hate on it because of the systems
>3
Best on NES, but has a lot of terrible features like enemies splitting and rendering a lot of classes useless
>4
Absolutely zero choices to be made. Cecil Attacks every turn, Edge attacks or throws shit, Kain jumps -every turn-, rydia casts Bahamut or Virus, and Rosa heals -every turn-.

Same thing goes with the secondary characters. THey only do one thing for the whole game. Palom/Porom Twin, Tellah uses Virus or elemental magic, cid attacks, yang attacks.
>5
The best SNES game. Has the most choices and customizations
>6
Back to where we were with 4. Characters spam their individual abilities every turn, except for Celes/Terra who use magic because they don't get a good combat ability.

The only FF's worth your time are 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8, maybe 1.
>>
Order of release, of course
>>
>>3983859
>I'll take character/monster design from DQ over any FF, easily.
Might as well watch Dragon Ball, if there's one thing that old FF did right was character and monster design, that guy is overstating FF's merits, but unless you bring the rare Terada's illustrations for DQ to the table, FF will always be more original than DQ on a art direction and design point of view.
>>
File: Swordoid_DQIII_NES.gif (1KB, 64x53px) Image search: [Google]
Swordoid_DQIII_NES.gif
1KB, 64x53px
>>3983869
I'll take Dragon Ball over yaoi/bishounen, thank you very much.
>>
>>3983874

I have to say, DQ has a way more iconic and recognizable style. FF's graphics are cool, but they look like they'd fit in with any other NES JRPG. If you see DQ's monsters, you know instantly that they're DQ.
>>
>>3983874
>yaoi/bishounen
I don't think you know what those words mean.
>>
>>3983860
Are you judging the games by only how many decisions you can make? I find 3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10 to be great from a story telling standpoint.
>>
Dragon Quest has better monster designs for the most part. The ones that aren't original are still cute takes on classic monsters and stylized in an appealing way while being consistent with each other.

Final Fantasy usually just has generic-looking monsters that could literally be from any other RPG, even if they have technically good graphics.

Although I actually love the way monsters were stylized in FF9, Crystal Chronicles and 4 Heroes of Light. But those games are exceptions to the face of Final Fantasy so in general Dragon Quest has more character.

As for human character designs, I can't make up my mind which I like more. Toriyama can make some great, varied humans when he isn't drawing Goku faces on everyone. But he's always drawing Goku faces on everyone.

And Final Fantasy is filled with painfully boring prettyboys and stopped having ugly/unique/quirky/non-human party members 15 years ago. The black guy with guns who keeps chicken in his afro is the only exception.
>>
>>3983860
For somebody who seems to value decision making, I'm absolutely confounded as to why you'd recommend 8, ignoring that it's total dogshit for other reasons.
>A million menuclog spells, items, junctions, GFs and shit
>All 500 damaging and status spells are completely useless and worse than using the default attack (unless you're retarded and didn't junction anything to the physical attack stat)
>All support spells are shit or outclassed by items that you can synthesize 100 copies of 2 hours into the game
>All 5000 items but Elixirs/Megalixirs and the invinciblity thing are useless
>Anything other than spamming Renzokuken and having the secondary characters make Squall invincible/use one of your 999999 Elixirs on themselves is inefficient
>>
File: Dragon-Quest-III.jpg (1MB, 1192x816px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Quest-III.jpg
1MB, 1192x816px
>>3984223
I never got the "Goku face" thing, he draws a wide variety of faces.
>>
>>3984234
FF8 is breakable, in the best ways possible.

Don't get me wrong, theres clearly an optimum way of playing FF8, and that's just junctioning a fuckton to Squalls HP and Strength and spamming Limit Breaks while in "critical" health without leveling up.

But it's fun to break it. That's part of it.
>>
File: Amano_FF1_Ochu.gif (21KB, 357x441px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_FF1_Ochu.gif
21KB, 357x441px
>>3984223
>Dragon Quest has better monster designs for the most part.

Are you nuts? Amano's monster designs are the best thing about early FFs
>>
>>3984254
He does. Ragnar and Yangus are some of my favorite character designs in RPGs period.

But every main character is Goku and there's no avoiding that fact even if I'm a die-hard Dragon Quest fan.
>>
>>3984223
It's because Akira has a very recognizable art style. You could put CT monsters into DQ or vice-versa and it would not be out of place
>>
>>3983860
>>3
>Best on NES, but has a lot of terrible features like enemies splitting

Guess you didn't figure out the hint with the village of Dark Knights next to a cave with spitting enemies
>>
File: Amano_FF1_Evil_Eye.png (432KB, 734x721px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_FF1_Evil_Eye.png
432KB, 734x721px
>>3984265
I LOVE Amano's concept art but the bulk of it lost its character once they reached the actual game, whereas Toriyama's simple style translated perfectly to sprites. It's a damn shame that now that we have hardware good enough to properly accommodate Amano's unique artystyle, he's getting on in years and has been relegated almost solely to logo designer.

And let's be honest for a moment: every single monster from FF1 is straight out of the original D&D Monster Manual. They even had to change some after the initial release to avoid getting sued.
>>
>>3984265
this, along with uematsu of course
>>
>>3983651
ys
>>
>>3984270
More like being forced to use Dark Knights and iirc Samurai or whatever for the rest of the game was lame.
>>
>>3984397
This was also my issue with FF3. That and all the other forced bullshit like the dragoon fight, all the toad and mini dungeon crap, etc. Worst FF IMO
>>
DQ if you're a happy go lucky no worries person

FF if you're a moody emotional person
>>
>>3983860
>Kain jumps -every turn-,
That's a terrible strategy. Jump is useless outside of long fights. He'll still be offscreen before striking his first hit. A game that is so simple and you manage to play it wrong.
>>
>>3983651
Phantasy Star.

You'll thank me later.
>>
>>3984270
This is the closest to a rock super band that videogames have produced ever
>>
>>3983651
FF1>DQ2

DQ3>FF2

FF3>DQ4

FF4 and 5>DQ5

DQ6>FF6

FF9>DQ7

FF10>DQ8

FF12>DQ9

FF14>DQ10

FF15>DQ11

Its settled. Final Fantasy is superior series except for two installments.

Just forget DQ, OP. It's Ultima for plebs.
>>
>>3985530
>FFXV
>Better than DQXI
First of all, this is incorrect.

Second, DQXI ain't out yet.
>>
>>3985530
That's all fucking wrong.
The only FF that's better than its DQ counterpart is VI.
>>
File: weird shit of FFVII.png (269KB, 1034x638px) Image search: [Google]
weird shit of FFVII.png
269KB, 1034x638px
As someone who greatly prefers DQ I have to say that I think people are discrediting FF's monster designs.

FFVII has some of the weirdest and most interesting monsters I have ever seen. Here are some favorite of the countless abominations from that game.
>>
>>3986518
>Vague polygonal shapes
>Good design
>>
>>3987036
Nah, I love how batshit insane these things look. However designed and modeled these must have had a field day.
>>
>>3983651
FF4 and DQ3 are usually the ones to start on

DQ1 is grind-heavy but without all the bells and whistles of jrpgs (since it's kinda the first) it's pretty comfy

DQ2 isn't very good

FF1 has a weird tabletop rpg-like system and takes awhile to get your party up, really the only good thing about it is the music

FF2's system is more weird

FF3 is like DQ2, when it looks like it's going somewhere but not quite there yet
>>
>>3986518

>weird, interesting designs
>a frog
>>
>>3987369

Frogs are weird. Have you ever just stopped and taken a good hard look at one?
>>
File: Suikoden II.jpg (204KB, 1024x587px) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden II.jpg
204KB, 1024x587px
Neither, get into Suikoden instead, so much better (shame it only got 6 games considering how vastly superior the series is to any other jRPGs)
>>
>>3987427
I hear about the series all the time, but only Suikoden 2 basically, how's the rest of the series?
>>
File: 1305901454777.jpg (12KB, 206x235px) Image search: [Google]
1305901454777.jpg
12KB, 206x235px
>>3987427
>shame it only got 6 games considering how vastly superior the series is to any other jRPGs
Got a chuckle out of me.
>>
>>3985530
You left FF7, 8, 11, 13, Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, and all the spin-offs. Same with DQ1+spin-offs, also did you play DQ10? Since it never left Japan, how can you say it's better than FFXIV if you haven't played it? Same goes for DQ11 which haven't been released yet.

If you want to compare, please do it properly, thank you.
>>
>>3987369
>frog standing up named "Touch Me"
>not weird
>>
>>3984679
Kain's attacks are absolute trash outside of jump.

Even then, stuff is dying in a few hits with Rydia casting Bahamut, and Cecil and Edge attacking every turn.

Kain's attacks without jump are less than half of Cecil's, and even with Jump it's only like 400 less.
>>
>>3987794
Tactics doesn't count. It's Tactics Ogre 2.0 by another name,
>>
File: fft04.jpg (145KB, 557x404px) Image search: [Google]
fft04.jpg
145KB, 557x404px
>>3988027
>It's Tactics Ogre 2.0 by another name

Yasumi Matsuno disagrees with that assertion, it's the Final Fantasy IP with Tactics
>>
>>3987427
I don't know, I played Suikoden I and I was very underwhelmed with the game.
>>
>>3988025
None the less, a short battle will be over by the time his jump finishes. If you want him to contribute to a standard random encounter at all you will have to just attack, or you might as well just skip his turn.
>>
File: 1399782802722.gif (2MB, 438x363px) Image search: [Google]
1399782802722.gif
2MB, 438x363px
>>3983860
>these opinions
>analyzing a fucking Final Fantasy game based solely on its combat scheme
Autism
Autism
and memes
>>
>>3983651
Dragon Quest is consistantly a B+ game throughout its entire run, MAYBE minus 9 and 10, barring the idea that we get a remake and english translation.

FF has maybe 3 games in its entire series that ISN'T filled with terrible game design. The rest of them MIGHT have a better story than your average Dragon Quest, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.