[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Labyrinth Zone, /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: 1478398048888.png (290KB, 468x585px) Image search: [Google]
1478398048888.png
290KB, 468x585px
What are your thoughts on Labyrinth Zone, /vr/?
>>
>>3983434
It's in a Sonic game so it's pretty bad.
>>
File: goggles.gif (7KB, 224x192px) Image search: [Google]
goggles.gif
7KB, 224x192px
>>3983434
Loved it. One of the levels i hope gets a remaster in Mania.

Great music, Great artwork, Pretty shitty boss tho neat concept. Nice platforming too. I can see why they moved the stage from 2nd to 4th.

If the level had no water breath timer it would've came across much better. Maybe they should've stuck to the goggles they was going to implement.
>>
>>3983464
>If the level had no water breath timer it would've came across much better
I whole heartedly disagree. Seriously, what aspect was more tense and memorable as that fucking terrifying count down timer? It really plays with a lot of fears kids have about being underwater in confined spaces with no knowledge of where the next air gap is. It was great.

https://youtu.be/vdRBVdOAnf0?t=23
>>
>>3983501
>It was great.
i totally agree. Most people that have an issue with the level always bring up the restriction the water timer gave. or having to wait for a bubble slowing the pace down, ect. I love it personally. Im glad they kept it, but i can see if they removed it or at least added the goggles / Bubble shield effect into the game it would've came across more likeable to the masses.

Still the level is awesome. Really hope Mania gets this stage.
>>
>>3983507
>Most people that have an issue with the level always bring up the restriction the water timer gave.

Don't you just hate when a game actually implements gaming mechanics, it's like that time I played Streets of rage.
game would have been so great if those enemies didn't always try to punch me.
>>
File: i-swear-to-christ-tails.gif (498KB, 392x246px) Image search: [Google]
i-swear-to-christ-tails.gif
498KB, 392x246px
>>3983464
I'm fond of the goggles = can breath underwater school of Cartoon logic. Still, it would be silly to remove the oxygen limit; it's the sense of urgency mixed with the underwater slowdown what makes the level interesting
>>
File: 1480226959522.jpg (70KB, 515x515px) Image search: [Google]
1480226959522.jpg
70KB, 515x515px
>>3983515
I think people are just quick to bring up Mario and how he doesn't need to breathe underwater so why should Sonic need air? It's dumb, but you can blame Sega's aggressive ad campaign against Nintendo on such comparisons. And people being bad at video games.

I will say it is a bit strange that Sonic needs air underwater, and yet he's somehow a-okay in the vacuum of space.
>>
>>3983434
I liked the SMS/GG music more than Genesis'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwz_EVYRTM4
>>
>>3983434
besides the underwater parts it was good
>>
>>3984134
yuzo koshiro made great sonic music.
>>
File: sonic1cope.jpg (135KB, 320x222px) Image search: [Google]
sonic1cope.jpg
135KB, 320x222px
Ah, Labyrinth Zone. Love it.

I dunno about you guys, but I get a very chill and comfy vibe from this stage. The music, (these first 6 notes, oh my), the tile design of the structure in that place, it looks like some comfy spa you'd want to go with your family.

Sonic 1 just has the most comfy levels period.
>>
is it worth play the sonic advanced series?
>>
>>3984325
Just don't try to get the Chaos Emeralds, and you'll be fine. Especially in 2.
>>
>>3983434

It doesn't compare to Marble Zone
>>
>>3983434
Because of it, Star Light Zone and Scrap Brain Zone feel like an alternate reality of my childhood.

I've beaten 2 and 3 so many times as a kid, but it wasn't until I was a teenager that I beat Labyrinth Zone's boss.
>>
It's really scary. The goddamned stone carvings only make it worse, and retroactively taint Marble Zone.
>>
>>3984325
For sure play the first one.
>>
>>3983434

Its annoying, but that's not necessarily bad. I don't think game designers should shy away from occasionally evoking negative emotions to shock your system and engage you; its straight up what makes memories stick.

Labyrinth Zone is not one of those times though, its boring and sucks, I just wanted to talk about this.
>>
>>3983434
It's better than the zone that comes after it, though not my favorite. I didn't realize until fairly recently that you didn't have to actually beat Robotnik in Act 3 - you just had to survive the water - which makes it much easier.

>>3983464
>If the level had no water breath timer it would've came across much better. Maybe they should've stuck to the goggles they was going to implement.
But they gave you so many bubbles! It's not like some parts in Sonic 2 where you could easily run out if you didn't know what you were doing - Labyrinth Zone has them everywhere, except for the end of act 3 (where it's part of the boss).

>>3984681
Honestly, I think it's one of the better-designed levels in the game. Certainly much better than Green Hill or Star Light Zone, and it's definitely more engaging than Spring Yard or Marble Zone. You really have to pay attention to what you're doing.
>>
>>3983434
I loved it.
>>
My favorite
It actually takes skill
>>
>>3984298
>COPE
>CPU
>Do! Base ball
>It's like boo!

What does it all mean?
>>
>>3986151
Get gud
>>
>>3984325
Sonic advance 1 is awesome, sonic advanced 2 is hold right to win and not very interesting, sonic advance 3 is much better and pretty good.
>>
>>3988264
Why is this the only opinion I ever see on the advance series?

Sonic Advance 2 does a lot of great shit with its level design, barring all the bottomless pits in the latter half of the game, and the medallions for the emeralds. You absolutely can't beat that shit by holding right.

SA3 is a mess, and SA1 is honestly the clumsiest.
>>
>>3988848
>Why is this the only opinion I ever see on the advance series?
Most people like 2 the best though.
>>
>>3990087
I think I like 1 the most because its the most... Classic. 2 onwards (including Rush and DS ports) feel like a different series.

Of course, Patrician Tier is Pocket Adventure
>>
>>3990103

its autistic but i didnt like how the loops werent smooth in pocket adventure. damn good game though.
>>
>>3983434
What's with the white bar on the right?
>>
>>3984134
Shit taste
Genesis version god-tier comfy
>>
>>3992152
Don't be racist.
>>
File: 1472082741851.jpg (149KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1472082741851.jpg
149KB, 1024x768px
It's not bad except for the stupid fucking bug where you die, then come back to the room already full of water and the cork platform long gone. Which causes you to die over and over and lose all your lives
I don't even find it that hard anymore. Scrap brain is the only time I really start to struggle
>>
Frustrating level but it's fun.
>>
I'm surprised by how many people like it. I thought it was one of the most hated zones in Sonic. Anyway, it can be frusturating at first, but once you get used to it it's not too bad. But I feel like it represents everything that people dislike about the Genesis titles. Lots of slow platforming with not enough speed, and enemies that hurt you because you just didn't see them coming. Also, it's kinda weird how they handled Sonic underwater. Mario can swim, so when he's underwater the control changes not just to make things harder, but somewhat different. With Sonic, it just makes him slower and need to get air bubbles before drowning. I don't hate the stage, but as is too common in the classic games, it's mostly a matter of knowing what's ahead through experience.
>>3990109
Pocket Adventure is basically Sonic 2 Lite.
>>
>>3994062
Nah it's more of a mutant of 2, Knuckles and Advance. It's an oddity and I love it.
>>
>>3983434
Honestly one of my favourite levels
The fucking timer really makes me sweat
>>
>>3983434
Appreciation really varies from one playthrough to another, sometimes I feel like it's a fine level about exploration, sometimes it feels like it's an unfun slog to go through.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.