[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The marine is by far the most interesting unit in Starcraft.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: latest[1].jpg (51KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
51KB, 580x435px
The marine is by far the most interesting unit in Starcraft. It's completely necessary even if it's weak and I'd even argue the weakness is even the point. We really have no sense of scale when looking at Zerg or Protoss units so adding in the Marine for scale helps.

This is a regular human being in full body armor and a large assault rifle, yet they barely do any damage and only have a pathetic 40 HP. The most basic unit is the Zealot, with 60 Shields, and a whopping 100 HP. You really get the sense that these, compared to humans, are giant scary mofos. You get a sense of scale on the size of vehicles as well, and see that even the smallest one completely dwarfs a person.

And on top of that, even though marines are weak, they can still be useful, even vital.
>>
>>3981878

such a damn shame that starcraft 2 turned out the way it did. instead of getting incredibly detailed, gritty, properly scaled versions of units from the first game we got kiddie shit. polished toys firing pew pews at each other in giant blobs. even the environments look like a fucking playset. god what a letdown
>>
>>3981904

3D is a mistake. To get Starcraft 2 working on PCs they had to go with simple graphics. This results in less detail in the graphics over 2D.

The PSP 3D remakes of NES-SNES games suffer from the same problem. You can make 3D as detailed as 2D, but it takes a huge amount of processing power. And that didn't exist on home consoles or PC in 2010. Yet, if they had stayed with 2D, they would have been even more detailed than 1.
>>
Well starcraft hugely impacted by aleins with the space marines and xenomorphs as well as the spartan-hi tech Predators. Wouldnt be a good story with no humans
>>
Medics actually made infantry units a lot more viable
On vanilla SC you just had to send your marines to die with no way of replenishing hp
Pretty fukn broken w medics tho
>>
>>3981965

The whole game could be done without marine units. Just humans in vehicles. But I'm arguing that singular human units give the setting a sense of scale.
>>
>>3981878
>barely do any damage
Give them Stimpak and they absolutely obliterate many units and, in true Terran fashion, they excel at holding chokepoints against melee units, especially with a Firebat in there - but let's argue there is nobody around to pass the light. Even then, Zerglings have to surround the Marines to inflict damage, whether through setting up a burrowed ambush or just flanking. Head-on, Marines will eviscerate them.

Brood War makes them even more of a staple unit because of the Medic. With a Medic, this humble Marine can easily tank a Sunken Colony.

And even when you don't research Medic tech, like in most vs Protoss games, a couple of Marines are a great addition to a tank and they're awesome at sharp, offensive bunker maneuvers. They can also be a decent enough surgical strike force - just drop 8 of them into an enemy outpost, turn Stimpak on and watch the enemy's economic force disappear.

For the cost of a couple tanks you can have several regiments of Marines and they really ravage stuff when focus fire is in play.
>>
>>3981878
>>3982943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJp0t9n8DWk
>>
>>3982950
Damn
>>
I found it interesting that a single marine loses to a single zergling, but a group of 12 marines destroys a group of 12 zerglings.
>>
>>3983470
Well it isn't even comparative anyway since 12 zerglings cost less than 12 marines.
>>
>>3983470
>>3984287

Zerg have to surround or flank enemies. Then they're devestating.
>>
>>3983470

marines can fire at one target simultaneously from distance, whereas zerglings have to close distance to attack and have to converge on a small target to achieve the same effect. this explains the discrepancy.
>>
>>3981965
if it was inspired by aliens these marines would be mowing down enemies, but they shoot fucking rubber bullets
>>
>>3981915
>3D is a mistake. To get Starcraft 2 working on PCs they had to go with simple graphics. This results in less detail in the graphics over 2D.

Starcraft 1 units are literally pre-rendered 3D models.
>>
>>3985275
How does it feel to be retarded?
>>
I just reinstalled Starcraft and forgot how much I loved UMS shit. I was playing XMen rpg and Crash RPG and forgot the final levels of the characters. Anyone know? Thanks!
>>
>>3985275

They're not rendered real time, but static snapshots. That allows them to have much better graphics. If SC2 followed the same method, they'd have even better grahpics than the actual SC2.
>>
>>3981965
though funny thing if you took out the humans there would be not much difference in the Zerg-Protoss war
>>
>>3981984
at least in SC trying to simply move your medics would make them run into whatever defensive structures would kill them so that sort of made you put in an effort

SC2 medics on the otherhand.
>>
>>3988098
Yeah, by pressing M on a marine.
>>
Anybody down to play 3v4comp or 2v4? Drgarbagehands on USEast
>>
>>3988593
I haven't played forever.
>>
>>3981965
Warhammer was the real inspiration. I forget what they were called but there's a Zerg analog and the eldar are a weaker version of protoss. Space Marines are space marines AVP barely existed at the time. And when you figure Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game the influence is even more obvious.
>>
>>3988642
Tyranids
>>
>>3986951
Do you not know what "pre-rendered" means?
>>
>>3988642
AVP did exist as a well established comic universe long before Starcraft and a line of Kenner action figures and an unaired cartoon. Warhammer 40k is one ofthe biggest influences but there are references to aliens notably the drop ship quotes and drop ship itself. The soundtrack is actually one of the things practically lifted off Alien. There are nods to a large amount of sci fi media, including Starship Troopers and the Hyperion Cantos.
>>
>>3988817
>>3988642
>>3988790
Tyranids looked more like Zerg after StarCraft came out so the influence kind of went both ways.
>>
>>3988816
he's saying that sc1 was 2d, not 3d. sc2 WAS 3d.
pre rendered means the models are rendered, 2d images are made of them from 8 angles, and then those 2d images are turned into a sprite sheet for the game. i don't see how is using it wrong.
>>
>>3989006

SC1 is a 2D game, that uses 3D models to make pre-rendered images. The Remastered version is using the same technique with just higher resolution.
>>
>>3989054
wait so the game engine itself is using 3d models to make the images? i thought they made them outside the engine and then imported them in as 2d assets, is that not what pre rendered means?
>>
>>3989083
>i thought they made them outside the engine and then imported them in as 2d assets, is that not what pre rendered means?
That is what pre-rendered means.
>>
>>3989093
i don't understand whats happening in this conversation then.
>>
>>3989096
Me either. It sounds like you're both trying to say the same exact thing but misinterpreting each other.

Let me try and straighten this out for everyone:
StarCraft 1 is a 2D game.
StarCraft 2 is a 3D game.
StarCraft 1 uses 3D models, but they are essentially 2D sprites, due to being pre-rendered.
StarCraft 2 uses real-time rendered 3D models.

Everyone good? Good.
>>
>>3988817
The first designs of the game were literally designed around a license pitch to GW before they decided to hold onto it and make their own property like they did with Warcraft... Which was supposed to be a Warhammer fantasy game.
>>
>>3989154
Were there orks in the pitch? Or Eldar? Protoss seem more like Tau but Tau came out well after starcraft.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.