[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What gate did the arcade stick on old arcade cabinets have?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 67521-img_5260.jpg (673KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
67521-img_5260.jpg
673KB, 1920x1080px
What gate did the arcade stick on old arcade cabinets have?
>>
>>3981682
Square typically, believe it or not.
>>
>>3981704
In diamond configuration or what?
>>
>>3981804
Nope, just square.
>>
>>3981814
Even in Neo Geo MVSs or on cabinets with shmups? Only arcade machine I've used in person has been a street fighter 2 one that used happ joysticks and I know those are circular.
>>
Round/none in my experience
>>
>>3981825
Pretty much anything with sanwa controls has square gates by default. Bat top sticks usually don't have any gate at all.
>>
>>3981856
I can't not have a gate on my stick or the switch mechanism falls out.
>>
>>3981880
ok
>>
File: tard.jpg (84KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
tard.jpg
84KB, 407x405px
>>3981682
>tfw too brainlet to build my own stick
>>
>>3981856

>bat top sticks

you do realize that is just the SHAPE of the stick, and there are "bat tops" that will fit on the japanese joysticks right?

What you're probably referring to are the Suzo Happ, or Industrias Lorenzo produced joysticks. Those all had their single pivot point, and had a circular restriction, but a square actuator that would ensure 8 directions were possible.
>>
Varied depending on the game and manufacturer, Japanese sticks tended to use square gate in games with 8-way directions and rotated the gate to a diamond position for 4-way games (think Pac-Man or other games where you don't need the diagonals)

Pretty sure Happ sticks tended toward the circle gate
>>
>>3982107
did anything an octagonal gate?
>>
File: Downright_fierce.jpg (451KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Downright_fierce.jpg
451KB, 2592x1944px
I remember US arcades primarily used HAPP parts where the "gate" is the circular hole drilled through the wood for the joystick.

In Japan, I only remembered using square gates, and I did not encounter any octagonal gates in any cabinets.
>>
>>3985362
That's a pretty sweet stick.
>>
File: welcome to the family.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
welcome to the family.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>3985506
Thanks, it was one of those sticks that was always sitting in Babbages I wanted, but I could never afford. It is a Super Nintendo controller but surprisingly light, so you may need to secure it to something for stability so it doesn't move. I won my first one on eBay for $0.01USD (plus $3 shipping) and I think the seller was pissed about it and packaged it poorly. I somewhat recently got a 2nd one for $25USD but I am still searching for the Genesis variation.

This old image was from my old Motorola Razr flip phone (to capture the HRAP2 before I replaced the buttons and ball top). Also, no, I still have not transitioned to stick, I still preform and play better on pad.
>>
>>3985506
Nah. It's pretty shit. One of those cheap plastic "fight sticks" that you'll have to bolt down so it doesn't blow away if you sneeze.
>>
>>3985571
Is that a MAS System?
>>
File: Ready_for_NES_mini.jpg (698KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Ready_for_NES_mini.jpg
698KB, 2592x1944px
>>3986397
Yeah, it's for my Sega Saturn. The board inside has pads to soldier a wire for Playstation and Super Nintendo, but I do not have any soldering equipment/skills. It was a cheap when I got it because no one wanted any Sega Saturn stuff, but the shipping upped its price to around $50 in its day.
>>
>>3985571
Skooliehigh?
>>
>>3989248
I do not understand. I am not in high school, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>3989334
I say keep the buttons, the whole thing reminds me of Gundam
>>
>>3989334
Why do modern arcade sticks use 8 buttons, and they are so close to the sthick?
>>
>>3990542
>Why do modern arcade sticks use 8 buttons,
Um... in this case it's because that's how many buttons the PS2 has.
>>
>>3982017
I wanted to give you a (you) just because I'm sure this is the real answer to OP's question. Most of the games I played in arcades in the 80s and 90s I'm sure had those sticks in them. There were some with square gates but they were the exception and felt weird.

>>3985571
You have damn near the exact same selection of arcade sticks I have, particularly that SNES Championship Joystick and the Pelican one above it although mine's black.
>>
>>3990542
Because the Guilty Gear layout used to be:

[K] [S] [H] [R]
[P] [x] [D] [x]

Then for Mortal Kombat:

[x] [P] [B] [K]
[R] [P] [x] [K]

And if you're a Neo-Geo person, you can use one row exclusively for A-D.

Or y'know, like anon said and because it's how many buttons the PSX/SAT had, and it's useful for macros or training room commands.
>>
>>3981682
In the United States? Circle gates, almost exclusively. In Japan, square gates, almost exclusively.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.