[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ehrgeiz ~Forsaken Dungeon~

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: 09-05-2017-03.26.jpg (98KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
09-05-2017-03.26.jpg
98KB, 512x480px
So you're meaning to tell me that one game with Tifa Lockheart has a Diablo-like made by nips hidden underneath that runs at an absurd 512x480 that manages to run at 60 fps but still accomplishes fantastic texture work and model quality? How does that happen? I am actually convinced using this technical foundation, it is quite possible to have a Blizzard North Diablo III alpha lite, closer to Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, on Playstation hardware. Impressive.
>>
File: 09-05-2017-03.33.jpg (98KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
09-05-2017-03.33.jpg
98KB, 512x480px
And I can say that it has at least 4 enemies on screen at once so it's not really a dud.
>>
File: 09-05-2017-03.34.jpg (119KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
09-05-2017-03.34.jpg
119KB, 512x480px
Diablo arches! Vibrant green grass like Diablo II but the shadows from vertex lighting still make it look darker than the actual Diablo III.
>>
File: 09-05-2017-03.35.jpg (137KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
09-05-2017-03.35.jpg
137KB, 512x480px
A high resolution PS game that runs at 60 fps and has actual graphical detail.
>>
File: 09-05-2017-03.47.jpg (126KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
09-05-2017-03.47.jpg
126KB, 512x480px
How did they do it bros
>>
>>3980674
Fuck I was just playing this a couple hours ago for the first time in probably 15 years. It was really good for what it was, but it wasn't enough. I wish they had made a full game out of it.
>>
Probably the same technique used in Crash Bandicoot. What you see onscreen is just a small room (quite small, actually), and the nearby regions aren't rendered until you can see them. Probably some texture precaching too.
>>
did you find any of the secret passages you can open with bombs?

You should all check out Tobal 2 btw, especially that hot af adventure mode
>>
File: 1408277060518.jpg (43KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
1408277060518.jpg
43KB, 500x504px
I'm glad I'm not the only anon that fucking loved this game.
Remember renting it because it had Cloud on the cover.
>MFW Tifa was in that shit too.
So many boners. Shame they didn't have any FMVs
Also the dungeon-crawling mode was hard as balls from what I remember.
>>
>>3980674
It's really weird that this was not only included with Ehrgeiz but that Square made absolutely no attempt to let anyone know it even exists. Damn near everyone I know who even remembers that game only remembers it as "that shitty fighting game with Cloud".
>>
music was nice too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm0A91FXfdI&list=PLJx3LQtOJwN0kCK2O2LsweWBGoHPVSp9b&index=27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLt2x7AvmEQ&index=28&list=PLJx3LQtOJwN0kCK2O2LsweWBGoHPVSp9b
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idbs0-OIC-I&list=PLJx3LQtOJwN0kCK2O2LsweWBGoHPVSp9b&index=40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2W5iXgjBjc&index=41&list=PLJx3LQtOJwN0kCK2O2LsweWBGoHPVSp9b
>>
>can't dungeon crawl as Tifa
Would be perfect otherwise.
>>
>>3981102
This. The generic guys you have to use are disappointing it's basically two separate games

>>3980825
Then Tobal 2 has the opposite problem where it has great character selection and an awesome "monster hunting" feature thst lets you play as enemies from the dungeon but the dungeon itself feels flat and uninspired

Square should really release another fighting/adventure game that combines and expands on the concepts from both these games.
>>
Fuck, I sunk some hours into this as a kid. The main game was pretty good when I had no frame of reference, but the dungeon crawler changed me for life. Now all I really play are roguelikes.
>>
>>3980839
I've never played Ehrgeiz, but yeah if you asked me what it was, I would've said "some fighting game made by Square with Cloud". Might have to check it out now just for this roguelike stuff.
>>
File: t.webm (1MB, 792x572px) Image search: [Google]
t.webm
1MB, 792x572px
>>3980839
The fighting game is pretty okay
>>
>>3981116
I don't think you really get Tobal No.1 and Tobal 2's RPG mode then

did you even know that you can combine potions based on their chromatic values or cook meat? did you starve to death or did you even git gud? It's a straight up fighting RPG with strict resource management like a roguelike, it's bizarre af and I love it

all the guard breaks and reversals and shit

it's amazing
>>
>>3980674
It's all about the wine market.
Christ, I loved Forsaken Dungeon. Square was just on fire in the 90s.
>>
>>3980693
Jap voodoo magic
>>
Awful game
>>
>>3981102
>>3981116
>>3981137
Erhgeiz wasn't made by Square, only published. The PSX version has Final Fantasy characters because of that. Tifa and Cloud are played in both versions (Arcade and PSX), and the rest of the characters are PSX-only.

Ehrgeiz itself is an anime/manga about those characters. The anime came out in 1997 (one year before the game), and is probably subbed somewhere. That's why you play as "generic" characters in the dungeon-crawling part. They're the Ehrgeiz originals.
>>
>>3981331
The Ehrgeiz anime has nothing to do with the game. They just have the same name. The anime is mecha action, the game is a fighting game.
>>
>>3980812
I'm sure all Playstation games make use of culling for polygons that are off screen, or any 3D game of any platform.
>>
>>3981339
Crash Bandicoot uses a more agressive technique. It cleverly hides scenery ahead of you and uses pre-calculated tables to render it when it's needed.
That comes with the cost of repeated CD reads/seeks, much more than a normal game.
>>
The ultimate sleepover game. I remember playing it a bunch and then coming back to the room thinking my friends were playing a different game but no it was just some weird dungeoneering mode.
>>
>>3982375
Funny you should mention a sleepover because I just found out that you're supposed to switch between the male and female character for free heals and to equalize their levels/stats. I feel like this is a singleplayer game but allows you the opportunity to pass the controller back and forth between friends.
>>
>>3982392
Yea, if you die as one of the characters then you switch over to the other to get all his gear back.
>>
This isn't really retro, but I always thought of Crimson Tears as a janky-ass successor to Ehrgeiz and it was really underrated.
>>
>>3980839
Its not even that shitty.
>>
>>3980805
this
>>
I remember playing this mode over and over and over and over but getting nowhere. I remember like a well and a squid at the bottom always killing me.
>>
>>3982634
I did exactly this when I started last night. The structure is actually the opposite, floor 1 is at the very top of the town. The well leads to late game with a huge squid boss that you can't kill yet.
>>
>>3982482
Just checked it out.
Looked pretty cool. Though the character designs were pretty shitty.
>>
i just remember getting a butter knife and having it be the size of a katana
>>
Huh. It really does run at 60fps.
>>
>>3980686
Yeah but why would I wanna play Diablo with a dirty joypad? Also D2 can do 800x600. Mustard rice will always be mustard.
>>
>>3982727
Because you are comparing Diablo to Diablo II which doesn't fly anyway. Diablo might not be better with gamepad but if you mold the blueprint a different way like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, those games prove controllers are great if you do it right.
>>
>>3982482
Downloading now, videos look intriguing.
>>
Ehrgeiz Dungeon Mode is basically Dark Souls before Dark Souls.
>>
File: claire.jpg (8KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
claire.jpg
8KB, 243x207px
Clair best girl
>>
>>3982783
It has nothing in common with Dark Souls or any of From's PS1 games.
>>
File: 253543452.jpg (22KB, 240x303px) Image search: [Google]
253543452.jpg
22KB, 240x303px
>>3982919
>That move where she bends you over and spanks you
>>
Ehrgeiz should have had sequels that built upon it. It's a series of really neat ideas. The fighting game series could ahve been Square's Tekken. And the dungeon mode could have gotten sequels. It feels a LOT more modern than a lot of jrpgs of the time, because it's real time.

Just imagined how future sequels could have refined the gameplay of the dungeon crawler. Gave it some of that Squaresoft polish and graphics.

>>3982783

It reminds me a Lot more of Zelda.
>>
More like Brechreiz.
>>
>>3982919
I want to sniff her sweaty armpits
>>
>>3982482
CT is made by DreamFactory, so yes. It's pretty much more of the same.
>>
File: Tifa-in-ehrgeiz.jpg (48KB, 350x260px) Image search: [Google]
Tifa-in-ehrgeiz.jpg
48KB, 350x260px
>>3980674
I fucking loved Ehrgeiz. I also loved those TIfa panty shots.
>>
>>3980674
Is there a romhack to swap the character models in the dungeon mode? There should be.
>>
>>3984741
I guess it depends how the animation rigging is done to allow swapping of models
>>
>>3984747
True could break a character's model I didn't think of that.
>>
>>3984753
Her tits break everything
>>
So I just tried Crimson Tears, it sucks. The town and npc were unexplained and I accidentally wandered deeper and deeper until I decided to go back to the main hub to get into a dungeon. The frequency of drops is really low, the environment was drab, the fight area was filled with poison rings, rescuing your dead guy has a time limit of 2 minutes and I had no idea where he died. Ehrgeiz is still more comfy.
>>
this game was soooo good

I never beat the dungeon mode though, but man I sure did play the fighting game a lot.

>i'd play with myself most the time
>have some epic cloud v sephiroth matches
>lots of jerking off to yo yo girl, yuffie, and tifa obvi
>>
>>3985895
The sight of Sephiroth diving for a tiny flag still remains fresh to this day.
>>
>>3981345
This sort of technique would work wonders on the GameCube then
>>
>>3986113
That sort of technique was very expensive and has lots of restrictions, it only worked in Crash Bandicoot because the camera was on a rail.
>>
>>3981331
>anime
Never heard about the anime. Downloading and will get a look.

>>3981332
>it's actually an unrelated mecha anime
Wait what.
>>
>>3986585
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrgeiz_%28anime%29
>>
>>3986618
Interesting, I was just doing a HARD MODE dungeon run with Koji. Care if I take pics and blog about it here?
>>
>>3986826
Why not? It's not an off-topic blog.
>>
>>3981331
>>3986618
Pretty sure that anime sharing the same name as the game is just purely coincidence rather than the game being an adaptation of it. They have like absolutely nothing in common other than the Jap's love of throwing in random bits of German into their stuff.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.